How Long?

You were my escape

The next day a very tied (and hung-over) Eunhyuk laid his head on Donghae’s desk as his friend fetched him water and headache tablets.

“Don’t think that just because you’re hung-over that you’re getting out of telling me everything.” Donghae warned, stoking his friend’s hair softly.

Of course he’d already heard most of what happened from Kyuhyun that morning, but he was anxious to know what Eunhyuk thought of the mismatched staff group. His assistant groaned into the wood under his head and fumbled around for the little white tablets that would hopefully soothe the pounding in his head.

“I really hate you sometimes Lee Donghae.” Eunhyuk mumbled when finally took his head off the desk and instead leant on the wall behind him so he could clearly see Donghae. The brunette was perched on the edge of the desk with eager eyes like a journalist waiting for the latest scoop.

“Well the feeling’s mutual Lee Hyukjae. Now spill.” The pair was like two teenage girls most of the time. They’d grown up together and generally only had each other for company so they never really kept secrets.

“Fine. Well it was fun –”

“Clearly. Just look at the state of you.” Donghae interrupted, but shut up when he received a glare from the man opposite him.

“Will you let me tell the story?” Eunhyuk continued when he received a nod from Donghae. “Well. As I said it was fun, they’re all really nice. One of them is Chinese, but he wasn’t drinking so talking to him was ok. According to Sungmin he starts rambling in Chinese when he gets drunk and only the two maknaes can understand him.”

That must be Hangeng. Henry and Kyuhyun both spoke Chinese and Sungmin had told him about a few times when they spend the whole night talking to each other in the foreign language. What Donghae really wanted to know was what Eunhyuk thought of Kyuhyun. He wanted to introduce them eventually, and if Eunhyuk already liked him that made Donghae’s job a lot easier.

“Who are the maknaes?” Donghae asked, anxious to know Eunhyuk’s opinion on his boyfriend.

“Why? Do you know that place?” Eunhyuk questioned and Donghae stuttered.

“No. Names just help me follow the story.” Donghae held his breath until Eunhyuk seemed to accept his answer.

“Oh well Henry is the youngest, he’s from Canada. He started yelling at Sungmin in English after a while, it was pretty funny.” Eunhyuk chuckled at the memory and Donghae forced himself to laugh along, but in reality he was biting his lips nervously. “And then the other one is Kyuhyun. He seemed pretty normal. He’s cute when he’s drunk though. He tends to giggle a lot.”

Donghae bit his tongue. He would have slapped Eunhyuk if he didn’t know he was dating Sungmin. But he had to grin at the reminder of a drunken Kyuhyun. He was positively adorable when he had a few drinks.

“But the oldest one was a little strange.” Heechul. Of course. “He’s nice, but weird, especially when he’s drunk.”

Donghae had to bite back a laugh. He could only imagine a drunken Heechul would be hilarious. The older man was funny enough when he was sober.

“What do you mean?” Donghae asked, still stifling a laugh. But Eunhyuk didn’t seem to notice.

“He tends to be very friendly when he drinks.” Eunhyuk put an emphasis on the word friendly, which peaked Donghae’s interest.

“Oh?”

“He kissed just about everyone there. He even kissed Kyuhyun when his own boyfriend was sitting right there!” If Donghae had of being standing he probably would have fallen over. Heechul kissed Kyuhyun? He’d only spoken to his boyfriend that morning and Kyuhyun hadn’t mentioned anything about a kiss shared with his work mate.

Donghae nodded and smiled to Eunhyuk’s stories of the night’s events but he was tuned out to most of it. His head was spinning with different questions. Why hadn’t Kyuhyun said anything? Did he try to stop Heechul? If he didn’t, why not? Had he done something to upset his boyfriend? Is Kyuhyun mad at him? Did it mean anything? Why else hadn’t Kyuhyun mentioned it?

His head and his heart were battling with each other. His head was trying to think of a rational explanation while his heart wasn’t letting Donghae feel anything but pain and anger, as unnecessary as it was.

So when he got a text from a certain person asking to meet with him, Donghae immediately started to think the worst and found he was getting defensive before he’d even gotten in his car.

 

Kyuhyun beamed at him from across the small room and Donghae felt his heart pound violently against his ribs. He managed a small smile in return but it was pathetic at best. When he reached Kyuhyun the younger man leaned in for a kiss, which was normal for the pair, but Donghae found himself turning his head so that those soft lips pressed against his burning cheek instead of his mouth. He didn’t mean to, it was just instinct, but Kyuhyun noticed all the same.

“You ok babe?” Kyuhyun asked gently, the endearment seeming natural now. But it fired up something in Donghae that he hadn’t expected. Raw, pure jealousy. And it wasn’t attractive on him.

“How was the party?” Donghae asked sarcastically, glaring at Kyuhyun, who only gave him a blank stare in return. The older man fell deliberately into the seat behind him and crossed his arms defensively.

Kyuhyun cocked his head to the side, confused. “It was fine…I guess but what’s –”

“I know about your little makeout session with Heechul.” He didn’t mean to say it. But he couldn’t help it, it just came out. Donghae regretted it, but he didn’t get a chance to say anything before Kyuhyun started to talk.

“Donghae, I can explain it wasn’t…wait –” Kyuhyun paused, realization forming on his features. “How did you know about that?”

Kyuhyun was sure that none of his friends had spoken to Donghae since the party and besides, none of them would say anything. He hadn’t said anything because he knew Donghae would do exactly this. It took a while for someone to understand Heechul and when they didn’t it was often taken as strange. So how did Donghae know about what was hardly even a peck?

“That’s not important.” Donghae protested, but it had already clicked with Kyuhyun.

“It’s Eunhyuk isn’t it? You know him?” Donghae just sat there, praying that Eunhyuk had been careful with what he had said.

Kyuhyun pulled out his phone and searched an article he’d seen a while back, before he’d met Donghae. His expression darkened as he read further through the page and Donghae couldn’t stand to look at Kyuhyun’s face anymore, afraid of what he might see. He had no choice now; he had to tell Kyuhyun everything.

“You’re Eunhyuk’s boss?” Donghae nodded. “You’re the one that’s getting married.

That was unless everything had already been told for him. Damn Eunhyuk and his loud, drunk mouth.

“Kyuhyun, please I can explain.” Donghae pleaded, but his words fell on deaf ears.

“I don’t know what’s worse, the fact that my boyfriend is getting married or the fact that I had to hear it from someone else. A complete stranger at that!” Kyuhyun had never sat down so now he was looming over Donghae, his eyes full of rage.

“I was going to tell you,” Donghae insisted.

“When?” Kyuhyun demanded. “How long have you known about this?”

Donghae shielded his eyes from the hateful glare of Kyuhyun and murmured into the table below him, but they were the only one’s there so Kyuhyun heard him perfectly. “Five months.”

“And we’ve been dating for three.” Kyuhyun concluded.

It was clear to Donghae that he wasn’t going to reason with Kyuhyun on this. And so he shouldn’t. He’d done it. He’d ruined the one good thing in his life because he was scared of facing the consequences of telling the truth. He couldn’t expect Kyuhyun to forgive him, he’d ask of course, but he wouldn’t expect anything of it. Kyuhyun had been hurt too much in his life; he’d stopped giving out second chances a long time ago.

“So what was I to you huh? Some play thing to fill the void until you had your wife?” Kyuhyun spat, venom lacing his words.

Donghae shook his head frantically. “No of course not!”

“Then what was it? Please tell me why you would even give me your number when you knew you were getting married?” Kyuhyun crossed his arms and waited for an answer.  

“You were my escape. When I’m with you I forget everything else. When I’m with you I’m actually happy.” Donghae said, reaching over the table to grasp Kyuhyun’s hands, but the younger snapped them back and glared across the space.

“So I was a distraction?”

“No you weren’t! Please just let me explain.” Donghae pleaded.

“No Donghae! You used me! What did you think was going to happen? That I’d be perfectly fine with you being engaged to someone else?” Kyuhyun demanded.

Donghae remained silent. He had no answer for Kyuhyun and it killed him. He wanted nothing more than to explain what was going on but he didn’t even know himself. He hated to think what was going to happen when Kyuhyun found out so he convinced himself that it wouldn’t, although it was obvious that he’d made an idiotic mistake.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered and hung his head. He couldn’t bear to see the pain in Kyuhyun’s eyes and was determined to remain a coward.

“Yeah well…So am I.” Kyuhyun said and turned around and straight out the door. Donghae didn’t try to stop him.

 

Kyuhyun’s voice rang in Donghae’s mind long after he left. He couldn’t force himself to get off the seat and could barely lift his head off the table. He was exhausted, even though he hadn’t done anything for the past hour. He was drained, mentally and emotionally. His mind was spinning, still trying to process what had happened.

The door slammed open and he could hear footsteps running toward him. At this point he couldn’t bring himself to care if it was a stranger or an armed bandit. But a pair of familiar hands grabbed his shoulders and forced him to look into the worried eyes of Eunhyuk sitting across from him. Donghae straitened his stiff arms and attempted to wipe the tears that had been streaming down his face non-stop for a solid hour. But they were well and truly dried and would take force to remove.

“What the hell Donghae?” Well that wasn’t what he’d expected his friend to say.

He glanced up and the worry that he’d seen in Eunhyuk’s eyes had turned to anger and frustration. The gears in Donghae’s head turned and it clicked with what had happened. Eunhyuk had said he would be visiting Sungmin tonight, which is exactly where Kyuhyun would have gone. And Eunhyuk had no idea that Donghae was seeing anyone.

Donghae’s mistakes were just growing.

“Do you want to explain to me why my boyfriend blames you for his roommate’s emotional breakdown? Or do you want to keep that a secret as well?” Eunhyuk demanded, his gaze penetrating and cold, leaving Donghae no room for escape. Not that he could blame him; Donghae had kept everything from Eunhyuk.

“Please Hyukkie,” Donghae sighed inwardly, sobs tugging at his throat, and lifted his tear streaked face to meet Eunhyuk’s. “You have every right to be mad at me, believe me I know that. But please, don’t yell at me right now.”

Donghae hid his head in his hands again, more tears threating to break through his wall. Eunhyuk sighed and rounded the small table.

“You know I practiced an angry speech the whole way over here. But you’re not making it very easy to stay mad at you.” Eunhyuk grumbled as he swung his arm around his friend, who lent against Eunhyuk’s shoulder gratefully, the sobs finally overtaking his body. 

“I’ve ruined everything.” Donghae cried, literally, into his best friends shoulder, dampening his light grey shirt. Eunhyuk’s hands rubbed his back gently, letting him cry.

“No you haven’t. Kyuhyun’s just shocked, he’ll come around eventually.” Eunhyuk soothed, but it didn’t matter. Donghae had convinced himself of the worse and nothing was going to change that opinion.

“Stop lying to make me feel better.” He grumbled.

“Fine then. You’re ugly and I hate you.” Eunhyuk smirked. He felt Donghae’s lips tug upwards slightly.

“I said stop lying.”

“I’m not!” Eunhyuk insisted. “You are substantially hideous. I don’t like you at all and I only hang out with you for your money.”

“I love you too.”

Eunhyuk smiled. He considered it his job to cheer Donghae up when he was sad, even if he was supposed to be mad at him. “Come on get up.”

“No.” Donghae protested. But Eunhyuk was used to that.

“Yes.” He tugged at the stubborn man’s arm and his weak body fell sideways onto Eunhyuk. He all but picked Donghae up and carried him towards his car. “Chocolate, ice-cream and movies are at my place waiting.”

“That’s what girls do after a break-up.” Donghae noted, but let himself be dragged away.

“You’re gay, girl stuff is allowed.” Eunhyuk countered, making Donghae pull up short of the door.

“You found out I was gay less than an hour ago and you’re already playing that card?” Eunhyuk nodded. “You’re going to hold this against me for the rest of my life aren’t you?”

Eunhyuk pondered for a moment and then nodded again. “Most likely. You never should have told me.”

“I didn’t!” Donghae argued. But Eunhyuk was already getting into his car. “You know you’re gay too.” He attacked.

“I know,” Eunhyuk answered. “And that is why I fully intend on partaking in the sweets and movie extravaganza.”

Donghae shook his head and laughed at his best friend as they drove off into the Seoul traffic.

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t decide if the tears streaming down his cheeks were tears of sadness, disappointment, anger or everything combined. If Sungmin’s reaction was anything to go off he would be leaning more towards anger. His roommate had been switching between rubbing Kyuhyun’s back comfortably, and pacing around the apartment’s small lounge room swearing and running his fingers through his hair.

“What was he even thinking? Engaged and dating other people, and other guys at that!” Sungmin swore under his breath. A sniff from Kyuhyun’s spot on the couch brought his attention back to the present situation. “Sorry, I keep getting distracted don’t I?” He asked Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun sighed inwardly and lifted his head, feeling the strain the back of his neck. Sungmin sat down beside him and Kyuhyun laid his head on his shoulder.

“I knew this would happen. It’s my –”

“Don’t. Please Kyu-ah don’t say it.” Sungmin interrupted. It broke his heart to see Kyuhyun like this, and hearing the boy blame himself? Well that would make it impossible for Sungmin to stop himself from beating Donghae to a pulp.

“I know it is though.” Kyuhyun whispered. “Why else would everyone leave me?”

Sungmin’s walls shattered and a small whimper escaped his lips as the tears escaped his eyes. He clutched Kyuhyun close and pressed a small kiss to the top of his head.

“I’ll never leave you. I promise.” It killed him to feel so helpless. He wanted nothing more than to keep Kyuhyun safe from pain, and as a friend he felt he’d failed.

The pair remained on the couch, curled in a tight embrace, desperately believing that the tighter they held on, the less likely they were to fall apart.

Sungmin called Yesung in the morning to let him know what happened and his boss assured him that he would manage without the two of them and to make sure Kyuhyun was ok. Sungmin swore he heard Heechul’s voice float into the office from the mention of Kyuhyun, but Yesung hung up before he could ask anything.

“So what do you want to do today?” Sungmin asked as Kyuhyun put his empty cereal bowl in the sink. He was thankful for his friends attempt to distract him, it would be hard, but it may be just what he needs.

Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun’s hesitation at providing an answer. Thinking about places to have fun was not a priority for his friend, but sitting at home and thinking about everything that has happened was only going to make a bleak situation worse.

If worse was even possible.

“I don’t know really? What do you want to do?” Kyuhyun mumbled half-heartedly. Sungmin sighed and looked at the younger, slumped over the sink, struggling to stop himself from crying again.

“Why don’t we go shopping?” Sungmin suggested. “I could use something to wear to Heechul’s party next week, and you can’t keep wearing Siwon’s clothes. No matter how good the bastards taste is.” Sungmin laughed feebly, before he saw a mixture of confusion, realisation, and finally heartbreak flood Kyuhyun’s features.

“That’s right, I forgot about the farewell.” Kyuhyun murmured and Sungmin very nearly slapped himself. Now was not the time to be reminding him that two of his best friends were leaving the country.

“. I’m sorry Kyu.”

“Don’t worry about it, I would have remembered eventually.” Sungmin began to protest, but Kyuhyun couldn’t bear to see his best friend feel bad. So he forced back the bile rising in his throat and plastered a smile on his face. “Besides, you’re right, I can’t keep wearing Siwon’s clothes, and none of mine are fitting for a party hosted by Heechul.”

“Only Heechul could host his own party and still be the guest of honour.” Sungmin laughed, but he could sense the pain Kyuhyun was masking. “Come on, let’s get started. And while we’re there, I can buy a muzzle to shut myself up.”

“I think Eunhyuk might prefer a ball-gag.” Kyuhyun smirked and sauntered past Sungmin, before breaking into a full on grin. To which he received a fierce backhanded slap.

It doesn’t matter how sad the kid is, no one sasses Lee Sungmin.

 

“Another one? Min we’ve been in six of these stores already, I think I have enough.” Kyuhyun whined, as he was dragged into yet another men’s clothing shop by an overenthusiastic Sungmin; who was living up to the stereotype of gay far too well.

“You can never have too many party clothes.” Yep. Far too well. “Now stop whining and try this on.” Sungmin handed him a black jacket that had a price on it the size of Kyuhyun’s phone number.

“I can’t afford this and you know it.” Kyuhyun countered, putting the jacket back on the rack.

“But I can.” A voice appeared behind Kyuhyun, startling him. He swung around to see Siwon standing behind him, beaming. “Hi Kyu-ah.” Siwon greeted, wrapping his arms around Kyuhyun and his shopping bags.

“Hi hyung, what are you doing here?” Kyuhyun returned the hug as much as he could manage with the thousands of shopping bags hanging off his arms, even if he had only paid for maybe two of the items. Sungmin was a very generous shopping partner.

“Sungmin said you were shopping, and I wanted to join you. Is that ok?” If Kyuhyun’s intuition and intimate knowledge of Sungmin’s tactics hadn’t given away their secret agenda, Siwon’s barely hidden grin would have.

Sungmin didn’t even have to look up from the rack of pants to see Kyuhyun’s glare. “Technically I asked him if he wanted a chance to buy you clothes without you being able to refuse them.” Sungmin held up a pair of dark jeans to Kyuhyun’s hips and nodded. “Asking him to pass up that chance is like asking Heechul to pick a favourite posit–”

“Ok I get the point!” Kyuhyun interrupted, making Sungmin grin. “But Siwon, seriously, I don’t need you to buy me anymore clothes. I have plenty.” Kyuhyun held up the bags as if to prove his point.

“You don’t have pants yet!” Sungmin called from half way across the store. How did he get over there so fast?

“I have my own pants!” Kyuhyun called back, much to the distain of the female sales assistant, who was trying to beat level 62 on Candy Crush, and these rowdy men were breaking her concentration.

“If a single stitch of clothing on your body is something Heechul has seen before he will have my head and I know you may enjoy that but I will not so quit complaining and let Siwon buy you the damn pants!” Sungmin exclaimed, shoving three pairs of glorious feeling jeans into Kyuhyun arms and pushing him toward the change rooms. “Now model for Siwon while I get you some underwear.”

Kyuhyun wheeled around, nearly butting heads with Sungmin. “You don’t know what size my underwear is!” He protested, trying desperately to stop the endless tirade of spending on his behalf.

“You think I could stare at your all day and not figure out what size you are?” Sungmin teased as Kyuhyun shut the changing room curtains.

“You’re revolting.”

“Thankyou.”

 

 

Donghae awoke amidst a pile of chocolate wrappers, DVD cases and tissues, nursing a headache that resembled a kick drum in a heavy metal song. Liqueur he could handle, but he didn’t even like sweet foods, and judging by the sheer amount of litter on the floor, he’d had a serious lapse of judgement. Damn Eunhyuk for having the biggest sweet tooth of anyone he’d ever met.

His best friend was still passed out on the floor, although Donghae swore he’d fallen asleep on the couch.  Last night was a blur of tears, condolences and lots and lots of ice-cream. Donghae was sure there wasn’t a single tub of ice-cream left in Seoul, because they were all on Eunhyuk’s bedroom floor.  

He heaved himself off the couch and into the kitchen in search of aspirin, where he found his phone. Donghae had a sudden panicked thought that he could have called Kyuhyun at some point last night. He searched through his logs, thankfully not finding any calls to Kyuhyun, but he did find a missed call from his father, asking him to come and see him as soon as possible.

Anger flared in the pit of Donghae’s stomach. It was because of his father’s obsession with this stupid marriage that any of this had happened in the first place. If his father cared about his wishes like a normal dad did, he wouldn’t be stuck in a prison-sentence engagement and ruining the best thing that had ever happened to him.

A feeling of defiance that he’d never felt triggered something inside Donghae. He was sick to death of his life being ruled by his overbearing and loveless father, and he wasn’t about to let him get in the way of the one he loved.

A sound behind him calmed his rage slightly, and he turned to see a very dishevelled looking Eunhyuk entering the kitchen. He must have looked serious because his friend immediately took his hand and pulled Donghae into the nearest chair.

“I know that face, what are you thinking?” Eunhyuk asked. Studying Donghae’s face for any sort of clue.

“It’s not fair.” Donghae whispered harshly. Eunhyuk squeezed his hand tightly and rubbed his knee absentmindedly.

“Donghae. We went over this last night, Kyuhyun will calm down you just need to give him –”

“That’s not what I’m talking about.” Donghae snapped. Eunhyuk stopped, confused.

“What do you mean?”

“He’s been controlling my life for too long. Donghwa was allowed to marry who he loved, why can’t I?”

“You want to marry Kyuhyun?” Eunhyuk questioned, still confused as to where Donghae was going with this.

“No, but…I don’t love Yoona. I love Kyuhyun.” It was the first time he’d said it to anyone other than himself, and it felt more right than it had ever before. He was smiling just from hearing it. And it was all he needed to make arguably the most important decision he’d ever made.  “I can’t let him go Hyuk, I need him.”

“What are you going to do?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I’m going to get him back.”  

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THAT WAS A LONG TIME COMING!!! I meant the update not the content by the way...Although that was a long time coming too. OVER 7 MONTHS! Ok that's got to be a record of some sort. So as usual I shall start with SORRY! But to be honest anyone who has ever done the final year of high school will know exactly why I haven't updated. Never mind that I graduated 2 months ago. That's not important (Shhhh) ANYWAY! Onto the discussion of the actual story. This is also why it took me so long to write, because this was a very draining chapter to write. (Hopefully it's as emotional to read as it was to write because otherwise I sound really really pig headed) And writing emotional stuff like this took it's toll on me a bit, and when you're doing something like HSC your mind becomes a very fragile thing and it doesn't take very much to break it. Also having never gone through a breakup like this myself I was struggling a but to get into the headspace of the characters. Hopefully I did ok *fingers crossed* But again sorry for taking so long!! And thankyou to the beautiful readers who have stuck around for so long waiting! I love you guys!

 

P/N: this one's going to be long. Lets look at the checklist shall we. 1. Graduated High School. 2. Got into University 3. Moved interstate. So those are my main things that have happened in the last 7 months. I will now break them down
HOLY HSC BALLS. *dusts off hands* Well now that that's out of the way...but seriously that was the test thing. I will say this...The amount of literal blood, sweat and tears that I put into HSC last year for the result I got is the most depressing thing ever. BUT all is not lost, I don't even need my ATAR so it BOS!! (So many acronyms! Sorry non-australians) But aspects of my HSC were actually ok. I co-wrote and co-directed by own theatre piece, which was fun, I managed to pull of a sudden switch in IP's for drama (from performing a monologue to a costume design in 5 weeks) and got a relatively good mark. And I did a funtion with some of my best friends for hospitality! And got nominated for a scholarship! YAY!
By far the best thing about graduating was the formal. EVERYONE WAS SAHH PRETTY!!!

And I start uni in a week!!! OMG!!! I bought my textbooks today! Uni is expensive. And I'm taking a drive out there on Thursday to have a look around. omG! For those who don't know I'm studying Korean (appropriate right)
As for moving, I hauled an entire truckload of our out of the unit in Lismore, onto a truck, off the truck again two hours later, then hauled it all into the new unit in Brisbane, all while coming down with a cold. Yeah. But to be honest I hated it here at first, I'm getting used to it now, but for the first few weeks I was so miserable. But the shopping here is much better. I have 4 massive shopping centers within half an hour. YAY!

I do realise that there is so much more I could ramble on about: SJ's Comeback (OMG those cowboy photos) Sungmin's wedding (AHUHFOHJIFSNKJFFN) Lordy all the scandals with SM (Do not even get me started)

But I do want to make mention of the tradgic death of EunB and RiSe (Sorry to bring up memories again) But I thought I should say something because it affected me a lot more than it thought it would. So RIP to two beautiful angels <3 And love to anyone who is or was upset by this tragedy, I'm always here to talk if you want <3 (Even if I don't update I'm here)

Holy I think that was longer than the actual update But Please let me know what you think of the story so far and any guesses or suggestions you have (I have it planned out but I'm always open to other opinions) And Comment, Subscribe, Upvote and share and be little darlings!

Love you all! *Kisses!*