Christmas Party

You were my escape

Donghae waved his friend off as Eunhyuk left the office to go home. He’d spent the rest of the day in his assistant’s office, slowly finishing off some paperwork but mainly just crying softly into Eunhyuk’s shoulder, not wanting to attract the attention of the other workers. His friend had been very understanding, despite the fact that Donghae still hadn’t told him about Kyuhyun.  

Speaking of his younger boyfriend, Donghae paced his office, waiting for the time to leave. He had planned it meticulously so he wouldn’t run into his father on his way out, or any of his staff. He was nervous enough about seeing Kyuhyun after his father’s bombshell, let alone if he had to see any of them before he had to leave.

He had no idea how to face Kyuhyun, knowing that he was getting married soon. But he couldn’t tell him. Not until he had figured out what to say without making Kyuhyun think he was just a toy. Because that was the last thing he was.

It had taken the bad news from his father for Donghae to wake up to something. He was falling in love with Kyuhyun. And at the worst time possible.

He didn’t have any more time to fret when he heard his office door open through the thin wall that separated him and Eunhyuk. His father was looking for him.

“He mustn’t have come back. His desk hasn’t been touched since he left.” His father sounded disappointed that he couldn’t find his son, not the anger that Donghae had expected.

“Would you like me to try his assistant sir? He might know where your son is.” One of his father’s secretaries offered.

“No I saw Hyukjae leave earlier. Besides Donghae clearly doesn’t want to be found.” Donghae was now truly surprised at his father’s acceptance of his disappearance. “Call the vice-president and tell him Donghae won’t be joining us for dinner. He probably needs some time to himself.”

The men left his office and he heard the ding of the elevator as they left the office floor, leaving only a few remaining secretaries at their desks. Donghae’s phone beeped with a message from his father.

You are excused from dinner tonight. We will speak tomorrow.’

Now that was more like his father’s usual reserved demeanour. The situation in the office earlier made Donghae question if there was actually an alternate side to his father he had yet to discover.

Now free from his dinner plans, Donghae was determined to spend some more time with Kyuhyun. He was smiling to himself as he drove to meet Kyuhyun at the café. This newfound attitude of his father gave Donghae more confidence that he may be able to escape this marriage after all.

 

He pulled up outside the café and Kyuhyun was already standing outside the empty and dark shop with a bag in his hand. Kyuhyun got in the front seat immediately and leaned over to kiss Donghae’s cheek which made the older man smile brightly.

“I’m not late am I?” Donghae asked, pulling away from the curb.

“No no. I locked up tonight and it was really quiet, so it didn’t take me long.” Kyuhyun replied, settling into the soft leather seat of Donghae’s car. “So where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise. I hope that’s ok?” Donghae asked. Kyuhyun had never refused one of Donghae’s requests for a date, but there was always a first.

“Sounds great. Sungmin has a friend over tonight so I don’t want to be a third wheel.” Donghae’s hands tightened around the wheel. Eunhyuk hadn’t mentioned spending time with Sungmin tonight. He would have to be careful about what he said around Kyuhyun if he was going to meet Eunhyuk.

“Oh Sungmin-hyung is dating someone?” He asked as flippantly as he could manage.

“Well he keeps saying he’s not, but I know he is.” So Donghae wasn’t the only one hiding something from Kyuhyun. Not that dating someone is anything like marriage.

Donghae just smiled and stayed silent and listened to Kyuhyun talk about his day until they reached the restaurant he had picked out when he reached his car. Being in the position he was, he was constantly required to make last minute reservations for meetings with clients.

They stepped out of the car and Kyuhyun gawked at the lavish-style restaurant as Donghae handed his keys to the valet. He laughed softly and took Kyuhyun’s hand, guiding him to the front entrance where the maître Dee led them to their table. Donghae was a regular here and didn’t need to wait in line to be seated, which shocked Kyuhyun even more. When they sat down Kyuhyun glanced around and leaned across the table to whisper to Donghae.

“Donghae, this is one of the most expensive restaurants in Seoul!”

“It’s worth it too. The lobster is amazing.” Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. The only time he’d ever seen a lobster was on the bus advertisement for a seafood buffet in Gangnam.

“Seriously Donghae, how often do you come here?”

“I’ve been a few times for work.” Donghae dismissed Kyuhyun’s astonishment, wanting to avoid the topic of work completely. “Besides I wanted to apologise for not being able to make it tomorrow.”

“Donghae. First of all you don’t have to apologise, I understand. And second, you don’t have to do it by taking me to a place like this!” Kyuhyun gestured around the the gold designs adorning the walls around them and the red drapes that cascaded over the windows, blocking out the busy Seoul streets. “I feel so underdressed.” Kyuhyun added sheepishly.

“You look amazing, don’t worry.” Donghae grinned and Kyuhyun’s cheeked turned the same colour as the curtains.

They chatted aimlessly about life, work and friends. All the time Donghae carefully avoided mentioning Eunhyuk or his actual position at work, or his father. Mentioning him would only make Donghae angry about the wedding.

Every time Donghae would order something Kyuhyun would contest because of the price, but Donghae ignored him, rattling off extravagant menu items that he was sure Kyuhyun had probably never heard of, let alone eaten. They were onto their third course when Donghae’s phone beeped with a text message. He was going to ignore it but Kyuhyun had heard it to.

“You should get that.” He said, motioning to the flashing phone. Donghae just shook his head and put the phone back in his pocket.

“No. We’re on a date that would be rude.” Kyuhyun just laughed and gave Donghae a ‘look’ over his wine glass.

“Donghae, I think we’re past that. Answer it. I won’t be offended if you want to spend time with people other than me.” Kyuhyun teased with a grin.

Donghae smiled back and stood up from the table and headed towards the table. “Order anything you want, I won’t be long.”

Kyuhyun scoffed. As if he would order anything off this menu. He couldn’t even pronounce most of it.

Donghae headed into the men’s room and dug his phone from his pocket. The text was from his mother and it had an image attached. He expected it to be a selfie of her and his brother from the Vice-Presidents bathroom. They’d gotten into a habit of doing that to each other. But when he opened it he gasped and nearly dropped the phone to the floor.

What filled his screen was a picture of an invitation. An invitation to his wedding, date and all. He had to look twice before he could actually believe what he was seeing. The date for his wedding was less than three months away. When his father had told him it was decided he was expecting it to be some time next year.

Donghae decided that the only thing that meant was that everything had already been planned without his knowledge. He was wrong about his father. He hadn’t changed at all. He still only cared about his job and the company. And his mother wasn’t much better. All this time he’d thought she was on his side and would help him convince his father that he didn’t need to get married. But he wrong. He was wrong about it all.

Tears stung his eyes and wet his cheeks before he could stop them. Although this time they were angry tears. He was angry at everyone. But most of all he was angry at himself for being so helpless and have no control over the situation. He felt his throat clench and he realised he was still holding his breath. His face was bright red and his eyes were puffy. It wasn’t going to be easy to hide his tears from Kyuhyun, but he had to try.

It wasn’t fair to involve Kyuhyun in this before he had to. And hopefully he could make it as easy as possible on the younger man. He’d been through hell and back in his life already, Donghae couldn’t make that worse. Not when Kyuhyun was finally happy again. Knowing that he was going to be responsible for destroying that made Donghae cry even more.

He grabbed a fistful of his hair and let out a silent scream. Hopefully letting it all out so he could at least appear composed in front of Kyuhyun. He splashed water on his face and took a deep breath before he opened the door to the bathroom. Only to almost run head on into Kyuhyun.

“There you are I was coming to see if you were ok….Wait Donghae, have you been crying?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly, seeing Donghae’s puffy eyes.

“No I’m fine I just got soap in them.” Donghae laughed it off, but Kyuhyun saw straight through him.

“Ok. Now tell me the truth.”

Donghae sighed and had to stop himself from crying again at Kyuhyun’s sincerity. “Just work stuff. I’ll be fine.”

Kyuhyun rubbed Donghae’s arm lightly, his eyes full of sympathy. “Come on let’s get out of here. I couldn’t eat another thing even if you forced me.”

Donghae smiled and slung an arm around Kyuhyun, pulling him closer to his body. “Alright alright, I won’t force you into anything.”

Donghae put the meal on his personal tab and picked his car up from the valet.

“So where to now?” This time it was Donghae who asked, not wanting to pressure Kyuhyun into coming home with him, even though all he wanted was the younger man’s company.

“I’d say my place, but to be honest I don’t fancy walking on a makeout session between my roommate and his boyfriend.” Donghae laughed and saw his opening.

“Do you want to come to my apartment?” Donghae asked cautiously. However he sensed Kyuhyun’s hesitation. “I meant what I said before Kyuhyun. I won’t force you into anything.”

Kyuhyun smiled and felt more relaxed immediately. Besides he wanted to know more about what happened in the bathroom before. “Sure. I’d love to.”

The pair arrived at Donghae’s apartment and once again Kyuhyun was amazed at the luxury building it was in.

“My father bought it for me a few years ago.” Donghae explained as they bowed to the door security and headed to the elevator.

“Wow. Who exactly is your father?” Kyuhyun asked in amazement.

“Let’s just say he prefers to buy affection rather than actually show it.” Donghae dodged the question and instead drew Kyuhyun’s attention to the view from the one-way glass of the elevator.

“I’d kill for that.” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath, so quietly that Donghae almost missed. He felt guilty for complaining about his father when he remembered everything Kyuhyun had been through.

Besides, Kyuhyun had coped through it all. Why couldn’t he?

 

It was the next morning that was hard for Donghae. Kyuhyun had taken a taxi home after a getting a call from Sungmin asking where he was. The rest of his night was spent curled into a small ball on his bed, battling with himself over what to do. He couldn’t shake the pain that no matter what he did someone was going to get hurt. Either it be his father if he refused or Kyuhyun if he didn’t, not to mention himself.

But he put on a smile on his face and pretended everything was fine when he walked into the café the next morning, only to have it drop again when he ran into the last person he wanted to see at the door.

“Donghae oppa! Fancy seeing you here.” His soon-to-be wife beamed at him, having no clue that she was about to destroy him.

“Hi Yoona, how are you?”

“Good. I guess you heard the news?” Donghae cringed inside hearing about the wedding. Of course Yoona was excited to get married. What girl wasn’t?

“Yeah. It’s pretty soon isn’t it?” Donghae tried not to sound too disappointed. But if she picked up on it, she didn’t show it.

“I know! I’m so excited! Well I’ll see you later oppa.” She smiled and left him standing in the doorway.

Poor girl. She had no idea she was about to enter the most love-less marriage to be created. Why shouldn’t she be happy? She wasn’t completely in love with someone who her family would never allow her to be with. She didn’t have to face the wrath of her father if she refused. She had been given the choice to marry, unlike Donghae. She had it easy.

Donghae shook off the wave of guilt and sadness that was roaring in the back of his mind and plastered yet another smile on his face as he approached the counter.

“Morning Hae. I didn’t know you knew Yoona? She’s become one of our regulars.” Kyuhyun hadn’t yet looked up from the cash register, and subsequently hadn’t seen Donghae’s puffy eyes and still tear-stained cheeks. He hadn’t been expecting to see Yoona here.

“Yeah I know her through work.” The pain in Donghae’s voice snapped Kyuhyun’s head up from the counter. Concern filled his eyes that turned to panic when he saw the state his boyfriend was in.

“Donghae what’s wrong?” He demanded, rounding the counter and motioning for one of the casuals to take his spot. He took Donghae’s hand and dragged him towards the back of the café.

Donghae shook his head swiftly. “It’s nothing.” He was pushed into a booth and a glass of water forced into his hand. “I’m fine, seriously.”

But Kyuhyun was having none of that. He pushed Donghae closer to the wall and slid in next to him, their thighs pressing together. He encouraged the older man to drink and dabbed a damp napkin on his cheeks, wiping away the evidence of his tears.

“Stop doing this, please talk to me.” Kyuhyun pleaded, his hand resting on Donghae’s neck forcing the older man to look at him. “I want to help you.”

Donghae bit back more tears and swallowed the lump in his throat. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be putting this on you.”

Kyuhyun scooted closer and pulled Donghae’s head to rest on his shoulder. He placed a reassuring kiss to the older man’s temple and smoothed his hair flat against his head.

“It’s ok.” He whispered. “It feels nice to help someone for once rather than the other way around. Will you tell me what’s going on? I’m sure I have something I can compare it to?” Kyuhyun chuckled and Donghae s his arm around the younger’s waist.

“Don’t remind me.” He grumbled into Kyuhyun’s neck. He squeezed Kyuhyun harder, still hating the fact that he was feeling sorry for himself after everything the other had been through.

“We can’t ignore my past Donghae.” Donghae grinned at Kyuhyun’s use of the word ‘we’, it sounded good. “It happened and I’m moving on. But let me put it to good use and help you…Talk to me?”

Donghae shook his head like a child refusing to go to bed. Kyuhyun only laughed and held him tighter.

“You’re really stubborn. You know that right?” Donghae nodded, again like a child. Kyuhyun thought it was the cutest thing he’d ever seen.

He kissed Donghae’s temple again and the older man raised his head to meet Kyuhyun’s eyes. The younger just grinned and placed a peck on Donghae’s nose, making the latter smile. Hence why Kyuhyun continued to pepper Donghae’s face with light kisses until they were interrupted by Donghae’s phone vibrating in his pocket. He cursed himself for not turning that off.

“Sorry. I’m keeping you from work.” Kyuhyun said as he let go of Donghae’s head and let him take is phone out. Which he promptly ignored and turned off.

“I don’t mind.” Donghae argued and captured Kyuhyun’s lips in a kiss, effectively silencing his protests. “I’d rather stay with you.”

“So would I” Kyuhyun broke their kiss and rested his hands on Donghae’s chest so he couldn’t kiss him again. Which, judging by the adorable pout on his lips, Donghae didn’t approve of. “But we both have to work.”

Donghae groaned and stood up reluctantly. “God I miss being a teenager.”

Kyuhyun smiled and guided Donghae to the front of the shop, the older man greeting Siwon and Henry on the way. He was glad Sungmin wasn’t there. Knowing what he did with his best friend was still a little disturbing.

“I’m sorry I can’t make it tonight.” Donghae apologised again.

“Donghae! Stop apologising! I seriously don’t mind!” Kyuhyun laughed and playfully hit Donghae’s head before he pushed him towards the door. “Now go to work.”

Donghae pulled himself up and turned in a bow towards Kyuhyun. “Yes mam.” Kyuhyun poked his tongue out his childish boyfriend and waited until he’d reached his car before walking back inside the café.

He was still determined to find out what was wrong with Donghae.

 

Eunhyuk knocked on Donghae’s door at the end of the day. He was worried about his friend. He’d been obviously upset since he found out the date of his wedding, but something else was up. It was something Donghae had seemed determined not to tell Eunhyuk.

“Donghae? You in there?” A muttered ‘yeah’ come from the other side of the door and Eunhyuk stepped into the small space to find Donghae hunched over his desk surrounded by piles of paper. He was clearly planning on a long night.

“Are you leaving?” Donghae asked his assistant, pulling his black framed glasses off his face and rubbing his eyes tiredly.

“Yeah. If that’s ok?” Eunhyuk asked tentatively. He hated leaving Donghae when he was struggling. His friend didn’t have a lot of friends he could confide in, so Eunhyuk tried to be there as much as he good.

“Of course it is. You have a party to get to don’t you?” Eunhyuk grinned again. He’d been excited all day to finally meet Sungmin’s friends, and Donghae had noticed.

“Yeah. But I can hang around a little longer if you need?” Donghae shook his head and waved his hand at Eunhyuk, dismissing his offer.

“No don’t be silly, you go have fun. I’ll be busy most of the night with these.” Donghae gestured to the paper scattered across his desk and Eunhyuk recognised them as the new agreements with China.

“Alright. Well call if you need anything.” Eunhyuk offered and Donghae nodded in agreement, watching his friend until the elevator doors closed, sealing him from sight.

Donghae sighed and hung his head again, letting his strained smile drop. He pushed aside the top few sheets of paper and dug out the official wedding invitation that had been sent out that morning and stared at it. They already had around 20 confirmed RSVP’s.

“Oh Kyuhyun….I’m so sorry.”

 

The Christmas party was in full swing.

Eunhyuk had been dragged through the doors by a giddy Sungmin and paraded around like a show pony. Apparently he was the only fresh face for the little family, and that was not something they took lightly. The only person Eunhyuk had ever met was Kyuhyun, and even that was only briefly.

He liked them all so far. Heechul was scary though. He was a very affectionate drunk, or at least to Eunhyuk. When he was around the others, he was straight up flirty. Eunhyuk had noticed a few hands trailing down Kyuhyun’s back and a hand sneak around Siwon’s waist. But after a few more drinks it didn’t even seem strange to Eunhyuk and he took it in his stride.

“So what do you do Eunhyuk-ssi?” Hangeng asked the newcomer from across the table. He was the only sober one of the lot and had taken on the challenge of making Eunhyuk feel comfortable.

“I’m assistant to the Vice President at S.M Corporations.” Eunhyuk explained, leaving out Donghae’s name. If people knew S.M they knew Donghae, and if they didn’t his name meant nothing.

“Oh wow that must be fun!” Kyuhyun slurred as he almost fell into the seat next to Hangeng, leaning on the older man severely.

“Yeah it is normally. He’s my best friend too, it makes things easier.”

“S.M. That’s the trading company right?” Hangeng questioned, cocking his head to the side in thought.

“Yeah that’s the one.”

“I thought I heard something from my friends in China about the chairman or someone like that?”

Eunhyuk thought about the latest media coverage in China that had gone through his office recently. Which was a lot and he was slightly drunk so his brain was fuzzy, but he still couldn’t remember anything about the Chairman himself, just Donghae.

“I’m not sure about the Chairman, but his son is getting married?” Eunhyuk offered and Hangeng’s face lit up.

“That’s it! An arranged marriage right?”

“Yep. He’s not too happy about it either. Poor guy, he doesn’t want to get married.” Eunhyuk knew he shouldn’t really be saying anything about that to people he didn’t know, but his intoxicated brain wasn’t listening to him.

“An arranged marriage? I would hate that. Imagine having to stay with someone the rest of your life that you didn’t love? That would be horrible! Right hyung?” Kyuhyun swung around to face Hangeng, directing the question at him.

Before Hangeng could answer, his boyfriend stumbled up to join the little group.

“Kyuhyun-ah! You seem happy!” Heechul was slurring badly. Eunhyuk could barely understand him, but Kyuhyun and Hangeng seemed to hear him fine.

“Of course I am hyung! Why wouldn’t I be?” Kyuhyun cheered gleefully. Heechul moved closer to the younger man, so close their lips were almost touching.

‘That’s good.” He mumbled. “Give your favourite hyung a kiss.”

Wait what? Now Eunhyuk was sure he’d misheard him. He’d heard Kyuhyun say that afternoon that he was dating someone. Why would Heechul want to kiss him? And with his own boyfriend sitting right there?

But he did. He kissed Kyuhyun right on the lips and the younger man didn’t struggle at all. Neither did Hangeng. He just shook his head softly.

“I’m used to it. He’s like this when he’s drunk.” Hangeng explained when he saw Eunhyuk’s shocked expression.

“He must be fun to take out.” Eunhyuk mused as Heechul finally let of Kyuhyun and moved onto the partiers at the other end of the room.

“Oh trust me. I don’t take him to clubs anymore. But around these guys I don’t mind. They’re all friends.” Hangeng laughed it off and helped a stumbling Kyuhyun to his feet and handed him to an equally as drunk Henry.

Maybe Eunhyuk didn’t fully understand Sungmin’s friends.

 

 

 

 

A/N: WOW! look how quickly I updated! only 3 days! HA! This was originally going to be a lot longer but it was getting too many different scenes in it and it was getting confusing. But the next part is almost ready, it is shorter than this one because it's just what I took off from this. But I think you'll like it! (Maybe) hehehe
Affectionate Heechul has arrived!! I had to do it. He makes it too easy. And please don't hate Donghae's father too much! He has his reasons for what he did! I couldn't have you all hating both sets of parents! (I'm thinking of writing in Sungmins mum because she is the sweetest thing) ANYWAY! Some cute KyuHae in here, as usual. I tried to put in humour as well, but it's getting kind of down at the moment and I didn't want to make it tacky.

So yes! Please comment! I love comments! And share and Subscribe and Upvote and basically be sweethearts :D <3 <3
Bye lovelies!! <3 <3