I don't need taking care of

You were my escape

“Oh come on leave him! He’s not worth it!” Heechul yelled at the screen, where a romantic drama was playing. Heechul’s choice of course.

“Hyung! He’s really trying why can’t she give him another chance?” Ryeowook protested, causing an argument to break out between the two men who were getting far too involved in the movie.

Kyuhyun only laughed at his hyungs attempt to cheer him up. Granted the bad movies, popcorn and ridiculous amount of sweet food had stopped him from crying. All morning they’d been watching bad movies and foreign dramas that Henry had insisted on showing them. Kyuhyun would never understand the Western style humour.

Originally Kyuhyun had worried about a place to stay, but he should have known that wouldn’t have been an issue. Sungmin had switched into organisational mode for about thirty minutes after Hangeng had arrived and started pouring over Kyuhyun like a mother. It was already arranged that in the afternoon Heechul would take his car and he, Henry and Siwon would clear out what was left of Kyuhyun’s apartment and take it to Sungmin’s place. Then, anything he didn’t need or couldn’t fit, Yesung had offered to store out the back of the café until he figured out what to do. Sungmin wasn’t called the energizer bunny for nothing.

“Kyuhyun.” Hangeng spoke from beside Kyuhyun. He’d clearly escaped his overly dramatic boyfriend for a moment and chose said moment to convince Kyuhyun to save him from his current home life.

“Yes gege?”

“You know you’re welcome at mine and Heechul’s anytime right?” Kyuhyun nodded at the Chinese man. Although he wasn’t sure why Hangeng was voicing this now, he’d always made it abundantly clear that Kyuhyun was free to visit whenever he pleased. “I mean if Sungmin-ah’s place starts to feel too small then there’s plenty of room for you at our house.”

Even though Hangeng had been speaking Chinese, Sungmin picked up on what he was trying to do. “No trying to steal him from me Hankyung-hyung! You have to deal with your dramatic diva all by yourself.” Hangeng groaned, knowing he’d been caught out by his partner.

‘Yah! Hangeng! Are you trying to palm me off to someone else? Granted I love Kyuhyun but he’s a little too innocent for me.” Everyone else giggled at Heechul’s clearly ual comment. Except for Ryeowook who blushed furiously and Henry who didn’t really know what was going on.

Kyuhyun leant back, sensing a full on domestic brewing, only to be caught by Yesung, who grabbed Kyuhyun and pulled him back away from the now arguing group of men.

“Kyuhuyn-ah. If you ever need any extra shifts, or time off or anything at all you let me know ok?” Kyuhyun smiled and nodded his boss. Yesung may not be the most affectionate of people, but he cared for his friends dearly.

“I will hyung, thank you. And thank you for today as well hyung, you really didn’t have to close the shop just for me.”

“It’s ok Kyuhyun-ah I don’t mind. Besides I don’t have enough casuals to fill in for all the time this lot would demand off to take care of you.”

“I don’t need taking care of.” Kyuhyun defended.

“I know. But you’ll get taken care of anyway. You have a family here Kyu, we’ll look after you.” Although he had said he didn’t need caring for, Kyuhyun smiled at his bosses comfort.

“Ok I’m making lunch who wants some? And for anyone that doesn’t understand, that means take it now because I won’t be making any later and you’ll be forced to go get takeout.” Ryeowook announced getting up from the overcrowded couch they’d moved into the dining area of the café.

“You wouldn’t let us eat takeout would you Wookie?” Heechul teasingly questioned the younger cook.

“No. And if any of you try I will unceremoniously throw you into the Han River.” Everyone laughed at the small man’s comeback. He may seem small and innocent, but he’d been around Heechul for far too long for that to stay intact.

“I’ll give you a hand Ryeowook.” Hangeng offered, pushing Heechul off from where he was close to sitting entirely on his boyfriends lap. Heechul feigned abandonment for a moment before sitting up and yelling at the two making their way to the kitchen.

“If you two start getting freaky in there you’re going to be in trouble.” Heechul taunted, before ducking to avoid the spatula being thrown at his head. “You see how he abuses me?”

The rest of the group joined into the argument, the braver ones such as Sungmin and Siwon throwing insults at Heechul, while Henry remained quiet, only laughing quietly and trying to keep up with the very quick Korean. While the rest of them argued, Yesung was the only one to notice the doorbell.  

“I’m sorry we’re…Oh Donghae-ssi. Please come in.” Yesung opened the door for Donghae and let him inside. Kyuhyun had heard Donghae’s name and peered around the corner. When he saw Donghae standing there, looking a little awkward with Kyuhyun’s boss, he ventured out to meet him. The rest of the group didn’t even notice he was gone.

“Hi. I didn’t know you were coming back.” Kyuhyun smiled warmly at the older man. He may have only just met him, but there was something inside Kyuhyun that immediately took to Donghae.

“Yeah, I wanted to see how you were. I hope that’s ok?” Donghae asked tentatively. He’d asked Heechul, but he would eventually realise that that wasn’t always the right advice to follow.

“No that’s fine. I’m glad you stopped by.”

“My office is open.” Yesung whispered as he walked past, sensing that Kyuhyun wasn’t overly keen to taking Donghae back to the group of lunatics he worked with. Kyuhyun took Donghae’s hand and led him to the office located at the back of the café and closed the door behind them. He didn’t know why, but he thought that they would want some privacy.

“Thanks for coming back. I’m sorry you had to see me like that this morning.” Kyuhyun nervously laughed, trying to brush off the reference to that morning when he had been far from presentable.

“It’s ok, I don’t mind. You did worry me a bit though, are you ok?” Kyuhyun could tell that the concern in Donghae’s voice was genuine, which made him smile. He was used to having his friends from work care for him, but for someone who didn’t know his story to have such concern about him was honestly touching. Kyuhyun couldn’t bring himself to lie to Donghae though, so he knew eventually the truth about his past would come out.

“I’m getting there, it’s just a bit to take in I guess. There’s nothing I can do about it though, so it’s best if I just move on.” Kyuhyun shrugged off his worries as if they were nothing. Donghae marvelled at the younger man’s ability to handle the situation. Although he thought Kyuhyun was just a little too calm about it all.

“This isn’t the first time something like this has happened is it?” Donghae questioned. His voice was perfectly gentle and sweet, it was clear he wasn’t demanding anything of Kyuhyun.

Despite his best efforts, tears began to well in Kyuhyun’s eyes. He attempted to blink them away before Donghae could see, but of course the other man caught them. His eyes filled with sympathy and Kyuhyun thought that he might even start crying.

Donghae crossed the room silently and pulled Kyuhyun into a comforting hug, rubbing small circles on his back as the younger man wept softly into his shoulder. He wasn’t a mess like he was before, but Kyuhyun was still angry at himself for breaking in front of Donghae. He couldn’t afford to scare anyone else away.

“I’m sorry, it’s ok you don’t have to tell me anything. “ Donghae whispered into Kyuhyun hair, which only made the younger man feel more inclined to tell him everything.

“Sorry, I didn’t think I’d do this again.” He took a deep breath and raised his head, hastily wiping his tears. “But you’re right. It’s not the first time it’s happened. My dad left when I was young.”

Donghae kept his hands on Kyuhyun’s arms, softly running his palms up and down the stretch of muscles.  He looked into Kyuhyun now dry eyes and hoped that the other man could see the sincerity in them.

“I’m sorry. You don’t deserve any of this.” Kyuhyun laughed softly at the irony that this man that he’d only known for two days was doing a better job of comforting him than either of his parents ever had.

“I guess I’m just sick of the fact that nothing ever goes right for me. It doesn’t mean that everything’s been bad, but every situation I’ve been in or any plan I’ve made has always gone wrong. Just for once I’d just like to have control over something in my life.” Kyuhyun sighed, sounding exhausted from even thinking about his life issues.

Donghae smiled sympathetically at Kyuhyun and wiped away a stray tear that made its way down the younger man’s flushed cheeks.

“That part of your life is over now, you can move on, live the life you want to.” Donghae insisted, squeezing Kyuhyun’s hands as if to emphasise that what he was saying made sense. Kyuhyun squeezed the other man’s hands gently in return.

The pair was interrupted by a knock, or more thrashing, on the office door.

“Hurry up you two! Lunch is ready!” Heechul’s voice travelled through the thin wooden door and broke the silence between the two men. Kyuhyun turned to the other man in the room and gestured for him to follow.

“Do you have time to stay for lunch?” Kyuhyun asked hopefully. Donghae found himself unable to refuse the puppy dog eyes he was being given.

“Of course.” Donghae smiled, following Kyuhyun out the door and into a room full of the cafes staff.

Sungmin was the first to greet them. “Donghae-ssi won’t you join us? There’s plenty of food.”

“Yeah, Wookie always makes enough food to end world hunger.” Heechul quipped, drawing a glare form the shortest member of staff.

“And yet somehow you always manage to finish everything hyung.” Ryeowook snapped back, seemingly unafraid of the eldest man there.

“I would love to, thank you.” Donghae hurridly took a seat next to Kyuhyun to avoid getting trapped in the building argument. With Henry on his other side he glanced around at the people surrounding him. He was glad to see Kyuhyun had such a good support network around him.

Kyuhyun slid in between Sungmin and Donghae. He glanced nervously at the newest addition to the table. He wasn’t planning on introducing the entire group to Donghae at once and was once again anxious about scaring him away. But once again he saw a smile upon the other man’s lips as he engaged in a conversation with Henry. Things were finally looking up.

“Welcome to the family.” Kyuhyun shot a warning glare at Heechul before checking that the man next to him hadn’t heard anything, which he hadn’t.

Or at least Kyuhyun hoped he hadn’t.




A/N: Please allow me to begin this note with the routine apologising that is in order from the lateness of this update. I mean I know the others were late but a month is stretching it abit (SORRY!) And it's also a bit short. I blame 100% of it on exams. (I can do that right) But anyway things are getting happy again! Finally! They were getting a bit depressing for a while there but look! I can turn things around! I have the capacity to be positive! (Not that you can tell half the time). But hopefully the next chapter will be (up sooner than this one was) but also be all feels and good things! Hopefully.....I can't promise anything. I also got a kick out of writing snarky Ryeowook. Hes fun to play with.

I also apologise for the horrible titles of these chapters...It is honestly the hardest part about writing these.

P/N: I actually have things to talk about in this part now! So now that exams are over my updates should be able to be faster. That's right I'm finished my half yearlys!!!! YAY! I had my final one today which was drama practical and I got to play a murdering wife. Which was fun. Now I get about 2 months off before I have to do it all again! :( I hate exams.

Also Monday was my birthday! :D (Same as Siwon..I know lucky right?) So that was fun. I spent the weekend in Coffs Harbour (Aussies may know..Others probably not) which involved eating a lot of food, watching a lot of movies and a lot (really a lot) of hugs and general skin-ship between 4 teenage girls! :D Sounds fun right? It was even complete with a viewing of an SS5 DVD, opening of lots of SJ presents, (thankyou mummy!! By a lot I mean an entire bag full) and a sapphire blue themed party :D I love it when my mother indulges in my K-pop obession :D

I go for my P-Plate test soon! gahh!! I will have legal rights to terrorise the residents of Lismore! So I am extremely nervou about that.
I am also aware that this P/N has gone longer than the A/N which is never a good sign so anyeong!

As always subscribe share and leave lots of comments! Later lovelies! <3