Champagne and Strawberries

You were my escape

Kyuhyun walked Donghae to the door of the café, leaving the rest of the staff members yelling their goodbyes from the table. Desperate to escape the tirades of his friends, Kyuhyun lead Donghae outside, letting the glass door block any stray comments from the men inside, namely Heechul.

“I’ll see you later then?” Donghae asked when they were on the pavement outside, although it was clear in his voice that he didn’t really want to leave.

“Yeah sure.” Kyuhyun had never really been good at goodbyes or not civil ones anyway. He tended to avoid having to say goodbye if he could. But it did comfort him knowing that he would definitely be seeing Donghae again.

“Let me know if you need a hand moving anything, I’m happy to help,” Donghae offered, his hand still grasping Kyuhyuns.

“Yeah thanks I will,” Donghae smiled and turned to walk to his car. “And Donghae?”

“Hmm?” Kyuhyun took a breath and stared at the ground for a moment. He had never been good a sentiments. “Thank you, for stopping by again today. I know it must have inconvenienced you.”

Donghae laughed off the apology. “Not at all, I don’t mind.”

Donghae’s laughing stopped but his eyes remained locked with Kyuhyuns and their gazes turned serious. Donghae edged his face ever so slowly towards Kyuhyun, never breaking eye contact with him. Kyuhyun took a sharp breath in before glancing at Donghae’s lips and back at his face again, realising what was about to happen, and also realising that he was completely ok with it.

Although Donghae was moving at an agonisingly slow pace so Kyuhyun took it upon himself to close the distance between their bodies and gently touch Donghae’s lips with his own, testing the contact. When neither of them flinched away, Donghae’s hand came to rest on Kyuhyun’s cheek, drawing him closer and melding their lips together.

The kiss only lasted a few seconds but when the two men broke apart Kyuhyun was gasping for breath, his cheeks blushing feverishly. Donghae’s hand stayed on Kyuhyun’s face for a moment longer, before it dropped away and gently held the younger man’s hand again.

“Bye,” Donghae whispered, no louder sound needed between them, given their noses were mere inches from touching.

“Bye.” Kyuhyun finally found his voice, although it was softer than Donghae’s. The older man squeezed Kyuhyuns hand and left to get in his car, leaving Kyuhyun standing on the sidewalk, no doubt looking speechless.

As Donghae’s car drove away, Kyuhyun wandered back into the café in a daze. Unfortunately that meant he didn’t see the small blonde and tall dark haired men who were about to leap on him and tackle him to the ground, until they had done just that.

“Ah hyung!” Kyuhyun groaned, trying to shove the two men off him, but it was no use. Sungmin was straddling his back and holding down his arms, while Heechul sat on his legs, effectively pinning him down.

“You’re not going anywhere.” Both men sat up for only a moment to let Sungmin flip Kyuhyun onto his back, before they both sat down again. Promptly ignoring the protests of both the man under them, and the sane staff members behind them.

“No-one is going anywhere until you tell us exactly what happened behind that door.” Sungmin demanded with an evil smile, digging his fingers threateningly into Kyuhyun’s rips, causing the brunette to squirm and thrash underneath him.

“Ok ok! I’ll tell you!” Kyuhyun surrendered to the torture of his two best friends and was met with a triumphant smile from the younger of the two. Sungmin shifted so he was more comfortable but never left his seat on Kyuhyun’s abdomen.

The rest of the men in the room settled comfortably into a circle surrounding Kyuhyun and waited for him to start. He scowled at each of them for not helping him, but figured that no one was going to move.

“We just talked really, nothing special.” Kyuhyun shrugged, trying his hardest to get out of the situation he was in, although he knew it wasn’t really going to work.

“Cho Kyuhyun. We have been friends for six years. If you think that you can get away with not giving us any details you have another thing coming boy.” When Kyuhyun didn’t respond Sungmin sighed and got off Kyuhyun’s waist, allowing the younger to sit up properly. “Ok. I’ll make it easier on you. What did you talk about?”

“Me mostly. I told him about my family and what happened this morning. I even cried again, which was stupid.” Kyuhyun saw the sympathetic looks from his friends, although he also saw Sungmin’s distaste at his use of the word ‘family’.

“What did he say when you told him?” Siwon asked carefully, not wanting to bring up any bad memories or emotions for Kyuhyun.

“He didn’t freak out or anything, which was weird. He just hugged me and told me that he was sorry, and that I didn’t deserve any of it.”

“Which is true!” Hangeng, Henry and Sungmin all said simultaneously.

“Well at least we know he isn’t an idiot,” Heechul voiced from his spot next to Hangeng. “So now that we’ve all met him properly. What do we think?”

Opinions starting flying from all around the circle before Kyuhyun finally raised his voice above the ding. “You guys realise you sound like a bunch of teenage girls?”

Ryeowook sat down behind Kyuhyun and snuggled into his back, wrapping his thin legs around the younger man’s waist in a grounded piggyback ride. “But we’re your family. It’s our job to scrutinise any new boyfriends…Speaking of which Heechul-hyung don’t think I didn’t miss your comment earlier! You’re lucky you didn’t scare poor Donghae away!”

“See Kyuhyun. You have an entire family here. Right down to the nagging mother who’s always on your back.” Heechul quipped, making everyone around him laugh. Ryeowook just flashed one of his trademark smiles. The one that said he was up to something.

“And Heechul-hyung makes a lovely doting grandmother.”

“YAH!” Everyone moved out of the way while Heechul chased down the young cook, who was attempting to hide behind an uncooperative Yesung. Sungmin took the chance to slide up beside Kyuhyun and link arms with him.

“This one’s special isn’t he?” Kyuhyun simply nodded, not sure what he could say to express what he felt about Donghae. “I’ve never seen you open up so quickly to someone Kyu, what makes him so different?”

“I don’t know Min. But I’m kind of excited to find out.”

 

Kyuhyun was moved out of his old place and in with Sungmin by that night. They spent the evening playing games and eating pizza like a pair of normal college aged guys would do. It make Kyuhyun realise what he’d been missing his whole life, he rarely ever did this kind of thing. Only on occasions when he would stay at Sungmin’s for the night, or the Christmas party at the café. He’d never really been able to have fun himself, even before his parents split. And after was always spent making sure his mother didn’t drink herself into oblivion.

But he could tell all of that was about to change. He fell into a smooth rhythm with Donghae. Donghae would come and buy his coffee from Kyuhyun every morning that the younger man was working, and if he could they would meet up for lunch. A few times a week they had drinks after Donghae finished work. But neither of them had ever been to the others house. Kyuhyun felt it wasn’t fair of him to invite Donghae into Sungmin’s house, even though he was quite sure his friend wouldn’t mind, and Donghae had never taken the initiative to open his own doors either. But Kyuhyun didn’t mind taking it slow. It was his first real relationship and Donghae seemed to respect that.

But late one Saturday afternoon that Kyuhyun was meant to work, he walked into the shop to find Siwon working where he normally would. He looked shocked for a moment, until Ryeowook walked out of the kitchen holding a basket with a blanket draped over it.

“What’s going on?” Kyuhyun questioned cautiously. Ryeowook trademark innocence smile was back, meaning whatever he’d done was far from innocent.

“I made you dinner!” Ryeowook exclaimed excitedly, motioning to the basket. “And Siwon-hyung took your night shift so you don’t have to work.”

“Ok…but-”

“I won’t be home tonight Kyu, I’m staying at a friend’s house.” Kyuhyun knew that Sungmin paused for a little too long on ‘friend’, but decided he could quiz him about it later.

“That’s fine Min, but Wook I could have –”

“Don’t you dare tell me you could have fended for yourself because I have tasted your cooking, and I’m still traumatised,” Ryeowook interrupted, and handed Kyuhyun the basket of food, which had a striking resemblance to Little Red Riding Hood. Ryeowook could still be childish at heart. “There’s enough in there for two as well, you know…just incase.”

Kyuhyun didn’t need to ask what Ryeowook meant by ‘just incase’. This was clearly an elaborate setup so Kyuhyun could spend some time with Donghae when they weren’t constricted by work hours. He would have protested but the look on Ryeowook’s face told him that would not end well. So he up the courage and sent a text to Donghae.

Hey, I’m on my own tonight and Ryeowook cooked dinner. There’s way too much here just for me, do you want to join me?’ He took a deep breath before clicking ‘Send’. He then continued to hold his breath until he got a reply.

That sounds great. I’ll see you at 6 J’ Kyuhyun sent back a smiley face before letting out the breath he’d been holding. He raced over to Sungmin and gave him a quick squeeze and a kiss on the cheek. Sungmin laughed at the unusual affection but accepted it anyway. It pleased him to see Kyuhyun so happy.

“You’re welcome.” Sungmin answered the unspoken thankyou before returning to his work.

“Do you want some clothes Kyuhyun? I have some in my bag you could borrow if you like?” Siwon offered, catching Kyuhyun as he swung around the corner.

“No thanks hyung I should be fine. Thank you for taking my shift.” Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around Siwon in a hug, before grabbing his basket off the ground.

“Ha! I’m the only one who gets kisses!” Sungmin teased cutely from behind the counter, getting a poke in the ribs from Siwon.

“I hope I don’t make your friend too jealous,” Kyuhyun said with a wink, leaving Sungmin to the interrogation of Heechul.

Kyuhyun hurried home and frantically cleaned the apartment, even though Sungmin cleaned it that morning before he went to work. He checked the basket and of course Ryeowook went all out. Three courses including candles, chocolate, strawberries and expensive champagne (no doubt courtesy of Choi Siwon). Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at his friend’s enthusiasm, but set up the dinner anyway.  

 By the time six o’clock came around, Kyuhyun was pacing the halls of the apartment, nervously wringing his hands together. He took two deep breaths when the doorbell rang, before straightening his shirt and jeans.

“Hi,” Kyuhyun smiled when he opened the door to see Donghae standing there looking ridiculously gorgeous and holding a bottle of white wine.

“Hi.” Donghae stepped through the door and pulled Kyuhyun into a deep kiss, wrapping his strong arms around the others thin waist.

They broke away from each other and Kyuhyun found himself grinning like an idiot as he took the wine from Donghae’s outstretched hand and led him through the apartment and into the dining area.

“What’s this?” Donghae questioned when he saw the elaborately set out dinner, complete with candles and chilled champagne.

“Well I figured we’ve both been really busy lately that we haven’t had a chance to have a real date.” Kyuhyun explained nervously. “I hope it’s not too much?”

“It’s amazing I love it, thank you.” Donghae leaned over and kissed Kyuhyuns cheek, making the younger man blush.

They sat down to Ryeowook’s amazing cooking, easily finishing both the champagne and the wine Donghae brought. Their conversations were easy and comfortable, an awkward silence never falling over the table between them. Donghae had an uncanny ability to make Kyuhyun laugh at anything he says. And Kyuhyun’s smile is infectious, making Donghae grin the whole time.

They took the strawberries and chocolate that Heechul had packed into the living room and settled onto the couch together with their knees touching, the alcohol having swept away any nervousness either of them were feeling. The two were a giggling mess as they tried to feed each other strawberries covered in sticky melted chocolate.

The chocolate ended up just about everywhere except in their mouths. What did end up in their mouths were each other’s tongues. Alcohol-fuelled Kyuhyun lost all his qualms about intimacy and let his hands fist themselves in Donghae’s dark hair, drawing the older man impossibly closer. Donghae’s own arms wound around Kyuhyun’s waist, keeping him close while their tongues battled for dominance, although neither of them cared who won.

It was fine until Donghae’s hand left Kyuhyun’s waist and started to snake its way down past the younger man’s hips and to the tops of his thighs. Kyuhyun’s eyes flew open and his hands let go of Donghae’s hair. The older man felt something was wrong and pulled away immediately, searching for answers in Kyuhyun’s eyes.

“I’m sorry Donghae I…I can’t.” Kyuhyun refused to look Donghae in the eyes and started to shuffle away from the other man, but stopped when he felt a gentle hand on his wrist.

“Kyu-ah, it’s ok. I won’t force you into anything.” Donghae reassured gently, his fingers started tracing faint circles on Kyuhyun’s hand, calming him down. Donghae motioned with his head for Kyuhyun to come back and he pulled the younger man into a warm embrace.

“Sorry, I didn’t think I’d do that.” Kyuhyun murmured into Donghae’s shoulder, embarrassed at his impulsive actions.

“Kyuhyun, stop apologising you did nothing wrong.” Donghae chuckled into the man’s dark brown hair, kissing the top of his head lightly. As much as Kyuhyun felt like a child needing comfort when Donghae did that, he found it strangely reassuring, the caring nature of the older man replacing years of neglect he faced through his teens.

They sat in comfortable silence for a while longer, Kyuhyun occasionally reaching up to steal a kiss from Donghae’s willing lips. He shifted positions a few times so their legs ended up entangled and Kyuhyun’s arm wound and Donghae’s waist, while the older man’s arm found it way around his shoulders, gently supporting his head.

“I was thinking, the Christmas party at work is coming up, and I’m pretty sure Heechul would kill me if I didn’t ask you to come. I know my friends can be a bit much sometimes but they really do mean well and they’re really important to me. Would you like to come and maybe get to know them a little better?” Kyuhyun glanced at Donghae’s face apprehensively, nervous that the mention of his over-dramatic hyung would frighten Donghae a little.

“Of course I’ll come. I like your friends, they seem sweet. Granted Heechul’s seemed fairly extravagant but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. “Donghae smiled at Kyuhyun bright, and clearly ecstatic expression.

“Thank you so much. It really means a lot to me.” Kyuhyun tackled Donghae onto the back of the couch and kissed him deeply, preferring to show his gratitude through actions rather than words. Words can have double meanings, actions are clearer.

Kyuhyun was thrilled that Donghae was making an effort to get to know his friends. He wanted nothing more than the two amazing things in his life to meld into one. And as long as Heechul can keep his meddling hands to himself he shouldn’t have a problem.

Hopefully.




A/N: LOOK! IT ONLY TOOK ME A WEEK TO UPDATE! I CAN DO THIS! I could have added more to this but I wanted to update within 7 days and to be honest its kind of a cute chapter and I didn't want to make it sad *Ding ding ding is that an alarm bell I hear there?* (sorry my drama teacher does that when he tells us what might *cough will cough* be in a test. It's lame and I apologise) But cute dates! I hope you all realise that the only way I write these scenes is because I am irrevocably alone and these are just my fantasies about what a cute date would entail.
And again I apologise I am insatiable when it comes to y Ryeowook. I could honestly write an entire story just based on that.
And I have the next chapter planned out so fingers crossed it won't be too long BUT. I DO have a lot of homework to do next week so I can't promise a mightly speedy update, however I will attempt to keep it under a month this time :P

P/N: I have a new house to move into!! I've been packing up the kitchen these last few days and honestly my cafe training paid off because I wrap everything like its fish and chips. Even teapots. Which I have discovered are a to wrap.
ONE WEEK OF HOLIDAYS ARE ALMOST OVER ALREADY! NOOOOOOOOO Don't let it be true :( :( :(
On a happier note I have become completely obsessed with Rockstar by no other (hehehe) than SJ! live performance though....LEE HYUKJAE! CHOI SIWON! LEE DONGHAE! DO YOU THREE NOT UNDERSTAND THE INTENDED USE OF A SHIRT? Not that I mind one little bit but those three are clearly flaming homouals and they do not even realise it. AND CHO KYUHYUN HOW ON EARTH DID ZHOU MI LET YOU ON STAGE IN A PINK TIEDYED SHIRT?!?! I LIVE NEAR NIMBIN AND EVEN I DON'T CONDONE THAT!
Oh well. Much shipping moments. (there was a tonne of Heechul/henry cuteness of which I adore) Many cuteness (Lee Sungmin it is not polite to stick your tongue out at fans)

On a side not Anata_no_eiELF WHERE IS MY GUAVA SHAPPED LIKE A MONEYS RIGHT BUTTCHEEK! Hyukjae's does not count as it was unnaccounted for in last years stocktake. It simply does not exist.

After all that...THANKYOU FOR READING MY ATTEMPT AT GOOD FICTION! I LOVE YOU ALL!!
Comment, Subscribe, share and all that nice stuff    Thankyou lovelies!! <3 <3