Over Lunch

You were my escape

Donghae stepped into his office the week following his first true date with Kyuhyun with a smile on his face. He was extremely happy with the way things were going Kyuhyun. The younger man was excited to properly introduce Donghae to his friends, and Donghae was happy to comply. He placed his coffee on his desk when his best friend (who happened to be his assistant) bounced into his office beaming.

“Hey Hyuk. What’s got you so cheerful?” Donghae chuckled when his best friend perched himself on the edge of Donghae’s desk and stole a sip of his coffee.

“You know that guy I’ve been seeing?” Eunhyuk asked, nearly bouncing off the edge of the desk. Donghae hummed in response, busying himself with the papers Eunhyuk had brought with him. “Well he wants me to meet his friends tomorrow!”

“That’s great Hyukkie!” Donghae exclaimed and looked up from his papers to meet Eunhyuk’s smiling face. “But when do I get to meet him?”

“Soon! He works at a café downtown so I’ll take you in if you like?” Eunhyuk offered. Donghae interest perked up. He knew it was unlikely that it was the same café that Kyuhyun worked at, after all there were hundreds in Seoul. But even so Donghae couldn’t shake the strange feeling he was getting.

“What’s the café?”

“Um I think it’s called The Green Shell? Weird I know, but his boss has a thing for turtles or something.” Donghae froze. Out of all the places for Eunhyuk to meet his boyfriend why did it have to be there? He searched his brain for a moment in time when one of the staff members mentioned dating anyone. But he couldn’t find one. “Donghae? You ok?”

Donghae snapped out of his daze and nodded at Eunhyuk. “So what’s this mystery guys name? You’ve never actually told me.” Donghae tried to make sure his face gave nothing away but he was biting the inside of his cheek waiting for an answer.

“It’s Sungmin.”

.

 

 

Donghae had to applaud Eunhyuk on his taste in men, Sungmin was a great guy. He was also very attractive and according to Kyuhyun had to martial arts skills to kill someone. And Donghae would have been nothing but happy for his friend if it hadn’t been for the fact that he was dating Sungmins best friend.

Sure normally that would be a good thing. Double dates, keeping in touch easily, no jealousy about who the other was spending time with. (Although Donghae doubted that last one with Eunhyuk, he could get a little possessive.)

But in his case it was the worst scenario he could have imagined. He wasn’t ashamed of Kyuhyun in any way, and if he could introduce him to everyone in his life he would. But in his position he didn’t have that option. His father was the chairman of one of Korea’s biggest companies and he was set to take over when his father died.

Unfortunately for him he had no desire to take over the company. But he didn’t have the heart to tell his father that. His older brother had already called the shots on passing over the reins to Donghae, so the youngest of the pair had no choice. And he had begun to accept that, until Kyuhyun came along.

He had yet to tell the younger man of even his job, let alone that in the years following he was set to become one of the most powerful people in South Korea. He originally hadn’t told Kyuhyun of his position because it always seemed to attract the wrong people; they were always after money or fame, rather than liking him for his personality.

But in the past few weeks Donghae was coming up with more reasons not to tell Kyuhyun who he really was. For starters he didn’t want to scare Kyuhyun away. The younger man was a little fragile and scared easily. Understandably given his past, but it made in increasingly difficult for Donghae to get past his barriers. The last thing he wanted to do was frighten Kyuhyun with his life that was full of deadlines, pressure, board meetings, overseas trips and dinners with the president.  

The other issue he was facing was his father. His father was an older man with even older values and morals. He didn’t know that Donghae was gay, or if he did he was ignoring it. Even to the point that he was in the midst of arranging a marriage between Donghae and the daughter of a fellow chairman of one of their allied companies. He told Donghae that she was ‘a nice girl’ and that ‘it was time for him to settle down’, but Donghae knew it was strictly business. Yoona was nice, but he had no interest in marrying her.

By introducing Kyuhyun to his father he was jeopardising both his own future and Kyuhyun’s. His father was a very influential man and if he didn’t take to Kyuhyun, the younger man’s life could be made very difficult. Even more difficult than it already was.

This made the situation he was in testing, to say the least. Although Eunhyuk was his best friend and Donghae trusted him, his assistant also liked to gossip. If he knew about Donghae’s relationship with Kyuhyun chances were it would be all over the 9th floor office within days. And with his father and the rest of the board located on the 10th floor, one secretary’s conversation in the elevator could cause him immense complications. On the other hand, he was only just gaining Kyuhyun’s trust. He didn’t want to ruin that by backing out on Kyuhyun’s invitation to the Christmas party.

But Donghae couldn’t risk involving Kyuhyun in his work life. Besides he would have a lot of explaining to do if Eunhyuk saw him at the party. His friend didn’t even know he was dating anyone. Eunhyuk knew about his bosses ual preferences, but that was as far as it went. He would come up with an excuse for missing the party tomorrow and make it up to Kyuhyun some other time. Surely the younger man would understand.

 

And he did.

Donghae called him on his lunch break, he didn’t have the courage to face Kyuhyun and say it and the latter had gotten too good at telling when he was worried or stressed about something.

“I’m really sorry Kyuhyun, I just have so much work to do here I have a massive presentation coming up.” That wasn’t entirely a lie. He did have to present himself to the vice-president’s house that night for a dinner party.

“Oh.” Donghae heard Kyuhyun voice drop and he immediately felt a knot form in his stomach. “That’s ok.”

“I’ll try to get finished as quick as I can. If I get it done I can swing by and -”

“No no no.” Kyuhyun cut him off. “Don’t rush anything. It’s fine Donghae your work is more important, don’t go out of your way to get here.” Kyuhyun assured him. Donghae smiled at his understanding. He felt bad about lying, but this was purely for Kyuhyun’s sake.

“If there’s one thing I’ll go out of my way for it’s you.” Donghae said, and he could imagine Kyuhyun’s cheeks flushing bright red. Sure enough a few seconds later he heard Heechul’s voice yelling out and teasing the young man.

“I know. But you shouldn’t.” Kyuhyun murmured, his embarrassment still evident in his voice.

“What time do you finish tonight? I’ll come by and see you.”

“Don’t do that Donghae you need to get your work done.” Kyuhyun argued.

“But I haven’t seen you all week!” Donghae whined and he heard Kyuhyun laughing softly at his childish antics. “It’s killing me!”

Kyuhyun laughed out loud this time. “Donghae it’s only Tuesday! But I miss you too. I finish at seven.”

Donghae grinned at his success. He knew how to make Kyuhyun cave at his will. “Perfect. I’ll see you then.”

“Ok, see you then.” Both of them said their goodbyes, but neither hung up the phone.

This is why they avoided phone conversations, opting instead for texting or emails when they were apart. Neither of them wanted to end the call, even though nothing was being said they stayed on the line, not wanting to sever the connection. However this time Donghae’s office phone ringing made the decision for him.

“I have to go, I’ll see you tonight.”

“Ok, make sure you eat on time! Bye.” Donghae smiled happily and hung up the phone. He hadn’t eaten yet, but Kyuhyun's concern made him feel better.

“Yoboseyo?”  He answered into the receiver.

“Donghae-ah. Have you eaten yet?” Donghae grimaced as he heard the voice on the other side of the line.

“Annyeong Appaji. No I haven’t yet, have you?”

“No, not yet. I was hoping we could eat together?” His father asked, or more ordered. Donghae never enjoyed eating meals with his father.

They had a rather tense relationship, being a successful business man Donghae’s father wasn’t around much in his childhood. And once he reached adulthood Donghae swore he was more of a business investment or a staff member to his father rather than family. A meal with him or even just a casual conversation was always either bad news, or they ended up talking about work. Even so, Donghae knew he couldn’t decline his offer.

“Sure. Where should I meet you?” Donghae started packing up his desk, only half listening to his father. He was too distracted about Kyuhyun to listen properly.

“Donghae. Did you hear me?”

“Ah sorry Appaji, the phone slipped.” Donghae bit his lip at his own horrible cover up. “What did you say?”

“I said I’ll send the car to pick you up, I have a reservation in the city.” Donghae groaned inwardly.  Of course his father had already depicted that this lunch would happen. Also having the car sent for him meant he couldn’t escape midway through lunch if he wanted to. Clearly this was going to a long and painful conversation.

 

Kyuhyun hung up the phone after talking to Donghae. He was disappointed the older man couldn’t make it, but he knew that his work was important. Whatever that work was.

“What’s got you blushing Cho?” Heechul called from behind the counter. Kyuhyun was supposed to be on a break, but he never left the café. He had everything he needed here.

Well almost.

“That was Donghae, he can’t make it tomorrow.” Heechul’s expression changed from joking to one of concern, then anger.

“Do I have to hurt someone?” He threatened. Which looked somewhat similar to a mouse trying to take on a snake, but the intention was there.

“Hyung you scream at the sight of a spider.”

“Those things have hundreds of eyes! They’re always watching you!” Heechul exploded, making the rest of the staff laugh. “Besides, I would only contract the hit. Sungmin would do all the dirty work.”

"Stop hiring me out as your personal assassin.” The barista hadn't even looked up from his phone.

“It’s not for me it’s for Kyu!” Heechul defended. Now Sungmin looked up.

“Who am I killing?” Heechul glared at Sungmin for offering to kill someone for Kyuhyun without knowing a reason but refusing to maim or even slightly incapacitate his noisy neighbours.

‘No one!” Kyuhyun laughed. “That was Donghae. He has to work late tomorrow night and can’t make it to the party.”

The younger man laughed it off, but his voice still caught slightly. He’d been looking forward to spending time with Donghae and his friends that didn’t involve him being temporarily homeless or bursting into tears every 15 seconds. But he didn’t want to jeopardise the relationship by being selfish, so he tried to forget about it. He’d had fun at the previous Christmas parties without Donghae, he was just overthinking it.

Heechul stepped forward and dragged Kyuhyun towards the table where he sat a plate of lunch in front of him and patted his back. “With enough alcohol in you I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

“Heechul-hyung! Alcohol doesn’t solve everything.” Siwon chastised the eldest man from the doorway to the office.

“It solves this!” Heechul retorted.

When Siwon questioned him, along with Henry from the kitchen, Heechul proceeded to explain Kyuhyun’s situation to them. To which everyone (including Yesung) agreed that Heechul was right and alcohol would fix it. The younger man just laughed at his friends and continued to eat his lunch. Maybe they were right. He didn’t want to get dependant on Donghae too soon.

 

Donghae sat at the back of a high-class Italian restaurant in the city, waiting for his father. He should have known not to leave the office immediately. No doubt the chairman would have been stopped by at least ten people on his way out of the office and more phone calls in the car.

Thankfully he didn’t have to wait much longer as his father almost waltzed into the restaurant, drawing stares from the other diners and bows from the staff. He was a well-known and respected man around Seoul. He must have frequented this restaurant because Donghae was taken directly to a table at the back of the room that was already set for two. Apparently his father’s assistants wouldn’t be joining them.

That was another difference between them. If Donghae took Eunhyuk anywhere with him, his assistant sat and ate with him as a part of the meeting. He never made him sit at a separate table and call him over at his own whim. But he and his father were very different people.

That was made obvious when said man sat directly across from him and immediately picked up the menu. Not even acknowledging that Donghae had clearly been waiting for him. When the waiter approached his father ordered for both of them in fluent Italian and then dismissed the waiter with a flick of his hand. Donghae just sighed at his father’s stereotypical ‘chairman of a company’ attitude and started playing with his napkin.

“So I have some good news for you.” That was a first. Although the two men’s views of ‘good’ news were slightly different. Or more accurately, distorted in Donghae’s opinion.

“Oh? What about?”

“Your wedding.” Donghae’s mood immediately dropped. He hated talking about his upcoming nuptials, especially with his father. His mother at least felt sympathy for him. His father couldn’t care less if Donghae didn’t want to get married. Or at least that’s what Donghae thought, based on the way he spoke about it.

“Oh. Right that.” Donghae muttered, not hiding his lack of enthusiasm.

“I wish you would stop being so negative about it Donghae. This is for you and your future.”

“And by that you mean the company’s future?” Donghae challenged.

“Your future is the company’s future.” His father pointed out. Donghae had no comeback to that.

Their food arrived at that point and they ate in silence, neither of them finding the right words to relight the conversation.

If he really wanted to he could refuse to be heir to the company and inherit it after his father died or stepped down, but he didn’t have the heart to do that. His father had been crushed when Donghwa had refused and passed the responsibility down to Donghae.

Donghae had despised his brother when he’d done that. But looking at him now, with a wife and a beautiful baby girl, Donghae couldn’t deny that he would have done the same. He did envy his hyung though. He saw happiness in him that Donghae longed for himself. A happiness that he knew he couldn’t get from this marriage.

When they finished their meal Donghae was itching to get away. But he knew that was the exact reason that he arrived in his father’s car and not in his own. He looked at the calm face of his father sitting across from him and felt his heart drop when he remembered that he still had yet to receive the ‘good news’ about his wedding.

“This has been great dad, but I should probably get back to work.” Donghae mentioned quickly, praying that his father would let him go.

“I’m your boss Donghae. You’re not going to get into trouble.” His father laughed off his attempt to escape.

Donghae rolled his eyes and settled back in his seat, deciding instead to just get it over with so he could get back to his secluded office and pretend for a moment that there were only a few good things in his life.

“So what’s the good news? Is it cancelled?” Donghae quipped sarcastically. Which his father promptly ignored.

“Exactly the opposite actually.” Donghae froze. The only thing opposite to cancelling it was…“The date has been set.” …That.

Donghae leapt up from his seat and bolted towards the door, his eyes misting over before he could stop them. He flagged down the first taxi he saw, ignoring the shouts from his father behind him. He was going to in major trouble for this but at the moment he didn’t care. Just when he thought things were looking up, his father had to drag everything down again with his stupid wedding plans.

Why did he have to rush into everything? Donghae should have plenty of time to marry. Even if it was to Yoona, why did it have to be now? And what was he supposed to tell Kyuhyun? ‘Well this was fun, but I’m getting married next month’? His tears ran down his cheeks as he arrived at the company headquarters and bolted straight to Eunhyuk’s office.

He hastily wiped his tears before he opened the door and shook his head in disbelief at the situation he was in.

“Dammit Cho Kyuhyun. Why did you have to make me fall in love with you?”

 

 

 

A/N: YAY! An update! (lamest title ever I know. Sorry) I was stuck on this one for a while actually, for about a week and a half I only had the first three lines written. But for some reason today I felt inspired and b with ideas! :D :D I swear I didn't mean for it to be as pessimistic and angsty as it was. But oh well you know me. SOOOOO...DUN DUN DUN! Donghae is getting married! Guess his life isn't as perfect as we thought? *Yes I am refering to myself as a reader. That gives me an excuse to fangirl over my own stories....Which I do far too much* Poor Hae :( And yes that was sneaky HyukMin that I got in there! I do ship that oh so much :3
But just what is going to happen between Donghae and his father? Donghae and Yoona? Donghae and Kyuhyun? Will Donghae and Eunhyuk's friendship effect the new couple? And don't forget we still have the Christmas party ;)

No P/N because to be honest nothing has changed since my last update :P

So make sure to comment!! (Come on silent readers don't be shy) I love comments :D :D They make me feel all gooey inside Plus subscribe and share and upvote and all that nice stuff would be sweet too <3 Since you are all unbelievably sweet I'm sure <3
Bye for now lovelies <3 <3 <3 <3