Haowen

As One

 

Haowen’s baba was nervous because he’s meting his uncle Baekhyun’s son Jimin. He keeps asking Haowen to be nice to this Jimin kid. He figure that maybe his baba was nervous because he never had friends before, so he decided that whoever this Jimin is he’ll behave himself and try not to ignore him. His papa said that he’ll transfer to Jimin’s school and that they should stick together. When Haowen was introduced to Jimin he didn’t know why he doesn’t feel right. Jimin look so much like his uncle Baekhyun except for the ears that look s much like the green little man. He has a pink backpack and super high socks with dangling puffs. He’s warning white framed spectacles but it does not have lenses. How weird.

He talked a lot and screamed like a girl too.

After he was transferred to Jimin’s school, the little kid is always by his side although most of the times he ignored him. He has excessive amount of pencils. Some were labeled eye pencil, brow pencil and lip pencil. Well the kid is fond of pencil and he has no problem with that. Jimin is quite proud of it; he even has separate glittery bags for them. All in all he was bearable provided he won’t open his mouth.

They were at the school it’s his second week. The school said he can’t be on his level because his former school does not have the same standard. Even though he ranked 1st in his entire level. So they make Haowen start again. And that’s why he’s classmate with Jimin.

“Haowen are you listening?” Jimin said to Haowen after finally realizing Haowen was all too busy answering exercises that were yet to be discussed by their teacher.

“Yeah” Haowen said to Jimin not sparing him a glance. He has been complaining about his apple juice because apparently it’s not the brand he wanted. Who knew a juice can bring so much distress to a child?

Jimin sigh and decided to pull out his math worksheets that the teacher had given them. Haowen was already finished with his and he already submitted his worksheet to the teacher.

“You should help me with this.”  Jimin said showing his worksheet in math that was filled with doodle of hello kitty’s and pororo.

“I don’t like studying” Jimin said when Haowen continue to ignore him not even looking at his paper. But Jimin continue to whine.

“Why would I help you with that? It’s yours’ not mine” Haowen said nonchalantly.

“Because you are my best friend” Jimin immediately replied grinning.

“Since when?” Haowen said frowning

“Since the day you were born” Jimin quickly said

“But I’m older than you” he fired back

“Exactly! Now help me.” Jimin insisted pushing the paper in front of Haowen.

“But if so, then you’re still an egg cell that time I was born.” Haowen said because there’s no way he’s doing Jimin’s work. It’s cheating.

“Huh? Haowen babies don’t come from eggs...” Jimin shake his head lightly “And they were saying you’re smart… They’re from up above delivered by the stork. You know those big birds with white feathers and flew to the clouds, dad said they’re the biggest birds” Jimin stated unimpressed.

“But the biggest bird is the ostrich but they don’t fly.” Haowen said making a mental note to check google later about the bird Jimin was referring.

“If they can’t fly then they are not bird! Tsk. I expected so much from you.” Jimin said crossing his arms deciding he’d do his work because clearly Haowen isn’t the smart one here.

 

xoxoxoxo

 

Meeting Haowen’s grandparents seem scary to his baba. His baba’s once mentioned about his grandfather back in China but he never met him and probably will never have that chance although he knew his Baba still contact him once in a while. His baba is very repulsive about going back to china. But now they had to meet his papa’s parents. His papa said they were extremely nice. He said grandfather likes fishing and grandmother likes to weave.

Sehun drive them to their grandparents’ house. It has a huge garden with fountains, trees with flickering lights and bushes with shape of planes.

“Wait here I’ll tell them we’re here.” Sehun said to Luhan and walk to the entrance door.

“Baba, your hand is cold.” Haowen said looking up to his baba they held hands since they arrive.

“Sorry baby. Baba is nervous. How about you?” Luhan said patting his son head. Haowen shake his head.

“No. Papa said they’re nice and I would like them because they’re great people.” Haowen said timidly. He takes a step bringing Luhan to follow along until the great door was the only thing that separates them from the people inside.

“-I still can’t believe you. How can you be sure it’s yours?” said a woman’s voice. Luhan looked at Haowen, his features are unchanging but he know inside he knew who they’re talking about.

“He just wanted your money can’t you see that? I want a DNA test”

“Calm down honey. Let’s meet them first. You’ll never know.” said a man’s voice which was calmer than the woman’s.

“It won’t make a difference.” hissed the woman

“Sehun call them in.” the man said finally. Luhan distance himself to the door brining Haowen with him. The door went open and just as expected Sehun was standing gesturing for them to come inside. Luhan look down at Haowen and give his son a reassuring hand squeeze.

“Mom, dad this is Luhan and this boy is-“ Sehun didn’t even finish introducing them.

“Oh my… Sehun…” Mrs. Oh suddenly grasp she wasn’t even looking at Sehun her gaze were steady on the boy her hands were on . “Come here baby. I’m your grandmother. I’m your father’s mother. Come here baby come now.” Mrs. Oh gesture Haowen to come to her. Haowen looked at Luhan as thought asking him if it’s alright.

“Go ahead” Luhan whispered to Haowen he was still holding Haowen’s small hand. The woman looked like she went out of the screen from some drama. Perfectly manicured nails, long puffy dress, high heels and a makeup completing her look as a rich villan mother-in-law.

“Oh! Look at this boy honey. Look at him it’s our Sehunnie.” Mrs. Oh said emphasizing what she’s seeing.

“-And Luhan Haowen this is my mom and dad.” Sehun almost whispered. Mrs. Oh was looking at Haowen bewildered. She was caressing his cheeks as if checking if he’s real.

“Can grandma hug you?” she asked Haowen.

“Okay, but just once.” Haowen said seriously without changing his facial expression one finger raise stressing his rule.

Mrs. Oh chuckled a little because he is the miniature version of Sehun in every inch possible.

“And he talked just like his father.” Mr. Oh said smiling at them. Mr. Oh has a calm and friendly air around him. He’s shorter than Sehun but it’s obvious that he passed his jaw and small mouth to his son.

It’s better than expected. Luhan and Sehun looked at each other relieved once they were out of the Oh’s residence. They have dinner and Mrs. Oh insist that Haowen sit next to her she even try to spoon feed Haowen which was greatly declined by the little boy. They told Luhan that they are welcome to come back anytime they want. Mrs. Oh threatened that if they didn’t show up at least once a week she’ll come over to their house with movers in tow.

 

 

xoxoxoxo

 

 

“Do you like your grandparents?” Sehun asked his son when they’re on their way back to their own house.

“They’re okay” Haowen said without giving much thought. It was their first meeting what do they expect to little boy like him?

“Oh really? That’s great, Mom wants you to stay there.” Sehun said teasing his son.

“I can’t. I promised Jimin we’ll build Lego castle of the Great Wall of China in our backyard. Also Baba was happy with our home so why should we move out?” Luhan smiled at the ‘we’ part.

“I’m glad your parents seem thrilled meeting Haowen.” Luhan commented recalling earlier encounter.

“They wanted to have grandchildren ever since. You won’t believe how much my mom nagged me about raising kids and starting a real family. If my ears can bleed I’ll be drain out of blood.” Sehun answered honestly and he let his gaze fall into Luhan. They looked at each other Sehun sending silent ‘thank you’ to Luhan. Luhan just smiled and blushed at Sehun’s soft gaze.

“I don’t like her scent.” Haowen said randomly. Sehun refocused on the road finally realizing he’s holding Luhan’s gaze for that long.

“She’s your grandmother. She’s Sehun’s mother.” Luhan said looking away too shy for some reason.

“I’ll tell her next time that she wore too much perfume it’s suffocating a child.” Haowen said crossing his arms.

“Haowen!”

“But baba…” He said dryly but followed “It’s true…” Haowen whined tugging his seat belt.

“Bear with mom at least today. They visited their friends that’s why she smells like that. Next time she won’t smell like an old rose.” Sehun chuckle a little as he assured Haowen and tried to look at Haowen who’s in the back seat. His gaze fall again to Luhan who he caught staring at him. Luhan quickly looked outside the window biting his lip a little his face is heating up for the nth time in this ride. Sehun smile inside.

 

 

xoxoxoxo

 

 

Haowen learned that adults have their way of communicating. Uncle Xing and uncle Baekhyun looks like they wanted to tear each other’s head since the day they met.

 

 

Haowen was watching Jimmy Neutron and his baba was in the kitchen fixing uncle Xing some snack when the door bell rang. Uncle Yixing opened the door since their maids were all busy doing choirs. Later someone appeared from the door.

“Hi Haowen how’s my fabulous boy? Where’s Lu?”Baekhyun said strutting his way to Haowen when he noticed an unfamiliar creature. 

“Put this on the fridge its best served when chill.” He ordered Yixing giving him an expensive glass wares.

“Um… who are you?” Yixing asked.

“Wow. The gust of you to asked. I’m Luhan’s best pal and soon to be-“

“Baekhyun?” Luhan said as he emerged at their living room.

“Oh hey Lu. You know this maid of yours has a foul mouth.” Baekhyun said eyeing the ‘unknown maid’

“Oh he’s not a maid.” Luhan said sending apologetic look at Yixing.

“Sorry he’s displaying himself too much that I was crossed between classifying him as your maid or your maid’s maid.” Baekhyun said totally not sounding sorry.

“Umm… He’s Yixing. He’s my friend since I moved here in South Korea” Luhan said to Baekhyun and Baekhyun just looked at Yixing’s extended arm disgusted. Haowen walk over to them to greet Baekhyun and Jimin.

“Hi I’m Baekhyun. Luhan’s best pal and Haowen’s soon to be fabulous godfather.” Baekhyun said with one brow raised.

“I’m sorry to break this to you, but the role of ultra-amazing fabulous BFF ‘A.K.A’ super-fantastic-unicorn-loving-godfather is already taken by none other than ME!” Yixing said glaring at Baekhyun.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY???” Baekhyun said eyes about to pop out of the socket ready to attack any moment.

“Did I hear it correctly? This vermin? Seriously?” Baekhyun said to Luhan accusingly. Luhan wanted to beg Yixing not to upset the preggy male so he sends signal through his eyes.

“Excuse me but the original godfather have to make Haowen his favorite food.” Yixing said emphasizing the word looking smug.

“Waffles?” Haowen asked

“I love waffles too! Are there blueberries?” Jimin chirped happily waving his hot pink plastic Lego toy.

“Let’s go boys! Uncle fabulous needs all help he could get.” Yixing said pleased with himself.

“Trying hard! Jimin I’ll asked your dad to buy you a bakery don’t go there!” Baekhyun hissed.

“But muma! I want to make some too” Jimin said like the drama princess he is looking like a kicked puppy with glimmer on his eyes. Baekhyun just stare at his son and Jimin knew he won.

“Yay! Let’s go!”Jimid cheered running towards Haowen and Yixing

Before they left and he turned to Luhan and drag him in the corner like he was about to cry.

“Promise me one thing. You have to promise me!” Baekhyun demanded hands clasped together sandwiching Luha’s hands and Luhan was scare he will burst with his swollen belly.

“What is it?” Luhan said nervously.

“Promise me that I’ll be the pretty-diva-godmother of your baby girl or boy next time you and Sehun decided that Haowen needs a sibling.” Baekhyun said all too seriously.

“What???B-But Baek-“ Luhan was stuttering and he could feel the heat coming from his face.

“Okay our deal is sealed.” Baekhyun said signing the air and putting his imaginary contract on his bag just because he’s Baekhyun. He did not let Luhan speak because the sassy Baek speed walk towards the kitchen probably to sabotage Yixing’s pancake.

 

xoxoxoxo

 

Jongin was in his office because lately his friend Sehun wasn’t hanging with them as much as before.

“Is he good looking?” Jongin asked Sehun whose nose is still buried under piles of paperwork.

“You’re really asking that?” Sehun said finally standing up and joining Jongin in the couch.

“I’ve heard from Chanyeol your son totally looks like a carbon copy of you. He sounds jealous maybe because his kid looks a lot like Baekhyun.” Jongin said offering Sehun a can of soda.

“Luhan is from China. He’s 28 years old and he currently works in a supermarket. He’s a bright and cheerful person. He’s always looking after his son putting him first than anything else. And I never meet anyone as stingy as him. He has a notebook where he recorded the groceries and expenditures. Would you believe that Jongin?” Sehun paused and looked at Jongin“... But you know… I’m lucky it was him…” Sehun said the last sentence slowly hoping Jongin didn’t catch it.

“I thought he was lucky it was you? Didn’t he come from that Brothel house?”

“Yeah, but it’s not like he worked there forever. I was his first. He said he only did it for his legalization, something like that. If he want he can asked for money for Haowen but what did he do? He shoulders all my obligations and responsibility alone…” Sehun said and he gulped down some dark liquid from the soda can. He’s never fond of carbonated drinks but he needed it for quick enery.

There’s a knock on his door followed by his secretary’s entrance.

“Sir, your meeting was moved to the date you requested. Also I have the finalized the applications for new secretaries.” Said Mr. Moon his sole secretary for five years as he placed the documents in Sehun’s desk.

“Thank you Mr. Moon. I’ll check those tomorrow. You may go home now.” Sehun said.

“You’re becoming lenient. And you’re hiring new secretaries? Seriously?” Jongin said can’t hold his toque anymore. This is not the Sehun he knew. Sehun always wanted to be involved in everything in his company down to the smallest detail and it’s so unlike him to pass work to his employee.

“I don’t have time as much I do before. Haowen is quickly growing right before my eyes I wanna be part of his childhood.” Sehun paused looking at the soda can in his hand thoughtfully. “Now I understand why my workers races off the office before 4 o clock.” Sehun continue smiling.

“And it’s not because of traffic.” He immediately add before Jongin can reason it.

“It wasn’t? It’s soccer game then. Men naturally love sports.” Jongin said. In that small amount of time Sehun seems a different one from his old days.

“You’ll never understand.” Sehun simply said.

“You’re becoming like Chanyeol and it honestly scares me.”

“I mean since becoming a father everything starts to make sense. I never really recognize weekend until 3 months ago. I used to come here even if it’s Saturday and Sunday because what should I do in my house anyway? But now I can’t help but count the days until its weekend. To finally be able to spend some quality time with my son. You have no idea how proud I ‘am when I first fetch Haowen at school. It reminded me of the reason why I’m working hard and why I need to do better each day. It makes sense now… Everything starts to make sense…” Sehun said feeling all emotional at the moment.

“Is it really that amazing?” Jongin asked.

“It is Jongin trust me. C’mon laugh all you want man. I know how you feel. I used to ignore Chanyeol’s words. I thought he’s just to whip with Beak that he starts sugar coating everything. But it was indeed amazing. Didn’t Minseok proposed the idea of adoption?”

“I don’t know. You know I’m not good with kids.” Jongin said warily.

“Jongin I know growing up has been hard for you because of your parent’s separation and you grew up with different fathers. But believe me having a kid changes a lot of things and at the end of it-it’s all worth it.”

“We’ll see.” Joning said thinking. They were silently sipping their soda when Jongin’s phone rings. It was Minseok asking to meet him for a light snack because he’s client leaves earlier than expected. Jongin asked him if he can join them.

“Is that place child friendly?” Sehun asked

“Well I’m sure its gay friendly” Sehun didn’t even think twice before hitting Jongin in the arms.

“Ouch! That hurts!” Jongin grumbled

“Let’s bring my car.” Sehun said standing up and getting his coat.

When they were at the car Jongin was busy sending cute emoji’s that he belatedly noticed where they’re heading.

“Where exactly are we going? The restaurant is on the other way.” Jongin said sounding alarmed.

“Shut up. You’re making me rethink about this”

“About what?”

 

xoxoxoxo

 

 

Sehun picked up Haowen from his new school. Jimin bid them goodbye and ran towards his chauffer Chanyeol was accompanying Baekhyun for his maternal checkup.

“Oh hey little one. Chanyeol isn’t exaggerating when he said you too look like a Xerox copy of Sehun.”

“…” Haowen just stare at him totally placid.

“Like totally you man” Jongin whispered to Sehun and he crouched down to eye level Haowen.

“I’m uncle Jongin, your father’s best friend. I’m your godfather.” Jongin said smiling at Haowen. Howen however frown inwardly at the mention of godfather.

“Jongin please, there’s already 2 people trying to kill each other for that title. I beg you not to join the brawl.” Sehun stated.

“But I’m your best friend! Best-est best friend! It’s a code; best friend should be the godfather of first born!” Jongin said indignantly towards the father and son who paid him no heed.

“C’mon man. Say something! It’s unacceptable!” Jongin said but the two are already in the car.

“We’re meeting your uncle Minseok today. He’s a nice person unlike that one.” Sehun told Haowen ignoring the lecture of Jongin about the history of friendship.

 

xoxoxoxo

 

 

They arrived home after meeting the Kims. When they arrived Sehun carried Haowen’s bag as his little boy ran to their house. When he was inside Haowen was sitting on their couch taking off his socks. Sehun was about to call for Luhan when he notices someone hanging outside their pool side like there’s a photoshoot going on. He was sprawl in one of the beach bench outside. He’s wearing a tank top, a short and a pair of sun glasses when in actuality its 5 p.m.  He was wearing pair of earphone. He has one hand with a wine glass filled with dark liquid and Sehun hope it’s not an alcoholic beverage, while his other hand was swaying in the air like he’s conducting a musical choirs.

Luhan never told him he’s seeing someone and thinking about it start an unwanted flame in his chest. And there’s something wrong with the picture because this man look and act as if he owned the place. The man made his way towards them entering the living room with the sliding glass door.

“Hey kiddo, long time no see.” He said as he ruffle the hair of Haowen. Now that he’s standing there Sehun could clearly see his black inked tattoos in his arms.

“Hey man it’s nice finally meeting you” the man then took Sehun’s hand and shake it then give him a bro shoulder bump like they’re close when in reality this is their first time meeting. The man walked away from them and open the T.V his feet crossed laying it on the expensive low table.

“Who’s that?” Sehun said quietly as he’s boring holes into the man.

“That’s uncle Yifan.”

“Who?”

“He’s… ummm. He’s Uncle Yixing’s…” Haowen said thinking over how to explain it. “hmmm… well he’s like-like Uncle Jongin to Uncle Minseok, only to uncle Yixing,… something like that” Haowen try to explain to Sehun.

“I see” Sehun said feeling relief but he needed to have a word with Luhan about this.

 

xoxoxoxo

 

Haowen was chosen as representative for his school. He was competing in poetry reading. He already memorized his line and getting ready for his turn. When he climbed the stairs he saw his baba and papa, uncle Beakhyun and Jimin was also there clapping their hands and cheering for him. This gives him more confident as he faced the audience and recites his line.

After everyone performed he was sitting in his papa’s lap waiting for the announcement of winners. Normally he wouldn’t care but his papa came all the way for him so he did his best and hoped that we could win this one.  He remembers how his father was surprised when his baba told him that he will be joining a poetry competition. His papa said that it can’t be because Haowen is as expressionless as a rock. But it wasn’t entirely true because he’s good in pronunciation and diction. He knows how to inject intonation when delivering his line. They just needed to choose the right piece for him to recite.

Haowen did won. Sehun jumped from his seat, hugged Luhan twirl him in the air laughing and feeling so high he could break a dance. He climbed the stage where Haowen is already waiting for him to received his medal. After going down the stage, the announcement goes on for other categorize Sehun faced Haowen.

“You did great! I knew you’ll win!” Sehun said gleefully.

“Do want anything? Ill gives you anything you want as a reward. Just ask papa anything and I’ll give it to you.” Sehun said to Haowen who was looking at him intensely so Sehun assured him  “Anything you want”

“Could you stay for dinner and tuck me to bed?” Haowen said with hopeful eyes.

Sehun crouch down to meet his son’s hopeful gaze. “Of course” he said thoughtfully of all the things that money can buy…  Sehun told himself.

And Haowen smiled as he hugged his father.

Jimin often talk how his parents would talk to him during dinner. It’s the time that both his parents would eat and laugh with him at ease, unlike in the morning when both of them especially his dad were always in rush to work. It also means his time to talk about his day during school. His baba never forget to feed him but it might be awesome if he can talk to him about how his teacher praise him for garnering an A+, or how he did his art work all by himself. Jimin always say his parents would tuck him to bed to chase the monster in his room and how he brag about his collection of fairytale books that his parents read to him using funny voices. Jimin said uncle Baekhyun is the best in making different voices. Haowen doesn’t really believe in monster or in fairytales but it must be nice when you have someone to pull the blanket up when you sleeps and wishes you a good night.

 

They order take outs for dinner as they celebrate Haowen’s victory. Haowen was glad his father is having dinner with them so as they were eating he was talking about other contestant he met, how he feel nervous that he’s youngest among them it’s also his first time competing to people he does not know. Sehun would give occasional comments and nod his head while Luhan would just listens smiling softly as Howen isn’t usually the talkative one.

After dinner, washing up and changing in his pajamas, Haowen climbed his bed Sehun was also there.

“You want papa to read you a story?” Sehun said after Haowen finished his milk. He notice several collection of books. He stands up and tries to pick a good night story to read.

“Okay what do we have here?” Sehun grab the thick books in the shelf

Earth, Space and Science

Well that’s unexpected. This is Haowen’s room right? He continue to inspect the other book as he see the first one inappropriate for Haowen’s age.

Force, Gravity and Magnetism

Properties of Matter

The Iliad and the Odyssey

Christopher Columbus

“Do you read this stuff? Where did you get this?” Sehun said giving up.

“The grandma that lives next door to uncle Xing is a librarian she gave me those”

“Okay” Sehun said as he pulled another book

The Little Prince

“I think I’ll just read... this to you”

After reading, Sehun unconsciously drift off to dreamland as well. Morning came he notice he’s on Haowen’s bed. Haowen wasn’t there anymore. His shoes and socks were also pulled out so does his neck tie, his shirt has few buttons undone. This little gesture makes Sehun smile and he taught it’s nice to know that someone still look after him.

When Sehun came down to bid them goodbye they’re on the table having a breakfast

“Morning papa!” Haowen chipped in while eating fried egg. The table is full of morning food Sehun haven’t been acquainted for a very long time.

“Morning Haowen” Sehun said as he kiss the crown of Haowen’s head. He hummed in response. Luhan was also eating but he stood up and get the bowl of rice. Sehun caught Luhan’s eyes and he mouth a small ‘thank you’ for the last night.

Sehun’s breakfast has always been a cup of scalding hot coffee and sometimes toast. Jinri never cooks breakfast as she needed to come to the office early so the coffee machine and a toaster were their morning buddies. Their maids only make breakfast for themselves as Sehun does not have a fixed time waking up.

“I’ll just have coffee” Sehun said as he takes a sit next to Haowen. Haowen stops eating wipe his lips and pushed his plates away.

“I’ll have coffee as well” Haowen said looking at his baba.

Luhan put down the bowl in disbelief and look at Haowen then give Sehun a glare as warning. And Sehun gets Luhan’s message so he composed himself.

“Ehem… umm… I mean the bacon smells nice and I like my egg well done just like this one, so I think I can help some fried rice?... if there’s any.” Sehun said slowly and Luhan smile and look at his son

“See papa eats breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Someday you’ll be like papa if you keep eating breakfast.” He kissed the crown of Haowen’s head and walk to the kitchen to get some more eggs and refill the rice bowl. Luhan was the perfect server to Sehun. He even scooped his rice and pours some juice in his cup. When he’s about to finish his egg Luhan automatically reached for the plate and ask him how many more he wants. Sehun smiled at him gratefully. Luhan is such a husband material.

“You’ll make a very good wife” Sehun said to Luhan’s ear as he’s in the middle of transferring some egg into Sehun’s plate. Luhan froze and his face blush in deep red. Sehun thinks it’s cute.

When Sehun was in his car he remembered that it was his first breakfast from a very long time.

When he was in the office he’s more alert and his mind is clearer. Sehun thinks that breakfast isn’t bad after all especially if you’re sharing with people close to you.

 

 

 


Where is Jinri in all this?

Soon…

 


I just came back from my vacation in Europe. Like few hours ago and I immediately looked for my laptop.

I wanted to update this since last September before I went to London but I didn’t bring my laptop with me. I was in Florence when the news come out about Luhan’s departure I didn’t go to Fiesole with my cousins that day because im too heart broeken to function but I honestly anticipated his leave.

This is my way of saying I will never stop supporting them. 

Once and exo-l but forever an Exotic