SeHun

As One

I honestly don’t have any idea what you guys are expecting…

Here goes nothin’…


 

7 years ago

 

“To Oh Sehun who will finally be out of the market!”Junmyeon said cheerfully

“He was out of the market long before” Kyungsoo interjects. It’s no secret that Sehun was taken since college and his wedding comes no surprise to their circle of friends.

“But this time its official!” Junmyeon replied.

“To our maknae” Jongin puts his glass up. It’s a night to celebrate Sehun’s last day as single and as Sehun’s best man he doesn’t want to dampen the mood because his two friends never agrees on anything.

“Cheers!” everyone in the room said in unison and proceed to drink their glass filled with alcohols.

Sehun phones vibrates on his pocket so he excused himself to answer the call.

“Miss me already?” he said teasingly.

“How was your stag party?” Sehun can hear her friends giggling on the background.

“Great! We just started. Some of the boys were running late due to heavy traffic but we’re all good now. How was your bridal shower?” Sehun said smiling images of Jinri in her white cocktail dress he saw earlier flashes in his mind.

“It’s great. The girls give me crazy gifts, you should see it” Jinri cackle

“Well I’m sure I’ll be seeing it all soon” Sehun said mischievously

Suddenly Jongin snatched his phone away.

“Hey! You’re not supposed to call Sehun. Lady we’re having party here just like you guys over there. Can’t we have at least enjoy the night?” Jongin said on the phone.

“Yah! Kim Jongin I swear if my groom end up-“

“Yeah right! You’re talking to the Kim Jongin so relax. Everything will work out fine I’m in-charge here remember. Besides your wedding is 16 hours away, you worry way too much!”

“Swear to those chickens you love”

“Fine. I swear on my true love for chicken wings. Happy?”

“Alright. I trust the chicken wings” Jinri said reluctantly.

“Great see you tomorrow Jinri” He said dryly and quickly hung up before Jinri say another word.

“Are you sure you still want to tie down with her?” Jongin said teasingly and Sehun punch his shoulder playfully.  

“I will not take in part of this” Kyungsoo screamed suddenly. Sehun and Jongin were in the veranda while the others where in the living room partying and celebrating with other boys.

“What’s going on there?” Sehun ask.

“I repeat I won’t participate on this.” Kyunsoo spoke again

“Oh umm… maybe they were playing a game. It’s about time anyway. Stay here.” Jongin said he was panicking internally.

“What?” Sehun furrowed his eyebrow.

“We have a surprise for you so stay here and don’t come out okay.” Before Sehun can argue Jongin then handed a bottle of wine.

“Seriously Jongin? Tomorrow is my wedding. I might end up puking on Jinri’s wedding gown while we’re exchanging I do’s” Sehun said in disbelief. He is okay drinking some it’s a party after all but getting wasted is a No No.

“Don’t worry it’s just wine to help you relax. I shipped that especially for this occasion, aren’t you grateful to your best man?” Jongin wink before he opened the sliding glass door that leads inside. Sehun was not sure whether to trust Jongin or his instinct. He’s not sure what’s happening behind all the thick curtains but there’s a lot of howling, screaming and laughing. He looked at the bottle of wine with foreign label and words he don’t understand. A glass won’t hurt right? He thought as he reached for the glass patiently waiting for him since the start of the evening.

 

xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo

 

 

When Jongin comes back inside he did not expect things to turn like this. Most of the guest were already beat up drunk. Some were playing games with the girls they hire to entertain while others dancing cheaply on the dance floor they set up for the event. The smell of sweat and alcohol mixed with vomit and smoke was suffocating for him.  He immediately pulled Chen by his collar.

“When I told you to be in charge it doesn’t mean you have permission to bring those call girls here. I can’t believe you ruined this” Jongin said indignant.

“What? Look around you. Everyone is having fun.” Chen said he’s obviously tipsy but still managed to grind his booty with the music.

“I did not sacrifice my sleep for something like this. It’s rowdy and chaotic. I set up a program, we have a plan. I repeated that to you over and over again, and yet you let everyone lose to do what they wanted to do” Jongin said scratching his cheeks because of relentlessness. He put so much effort to organize this party and now it’s in wreaked. Chen open his mouth but instead he throw up. Jongin never thought that he can be more annoyed than he already was. He left Chen to bath on his own vomit to check on him sane friends. Hopefully.

 

xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo

 

“Our present is ready to be served” Chanyeol confirm to others.

“Again I know nothing about this” Kyungsoo said raising both his hands.

“Yeah we heard it like 20 times already. Now go to the kitchen and hide inside the pots or kettle until we’re done.” Junmyeon retort.

“What’s ready?” Jongin said emerging from the door.

“Our gift” Chanyeol said with his signature teeth rich smile.

“Only yours. I’m not in” Kyunsoo said firmly.

“I specifically requested for it. I thought we’ll never found one fortunately we did!” Chanyeol told Jongin not caring about Kyunsoo’s opinion.

“Have you seen it?” Junmyeon asked Chanyeol.

“Seen what?” Jongin said looking around the half dimmed hallway they were standing. He was thankful that they reserved 3 floors for the occasion.

“You mean say ‘have you seen him’”

“Okay, you are not doing what I’m thinking… Right?” Jongin said and the others obviously looked guilty.

“No way!”Jongin said but that perked up his interest.

“C’mon man. It’s Sehun’s last night as single man so why not?” Chanyeol paid a lot for this surprised gift it is just right to make it worth it.

“I’m not that convinced” Jongin said warily.

“We just wanted him to have fun while he still can. Among us he’s the only one who hasn’t get to taste something… ummm what’s the word?” Chganyeol said scratching his chin.

“Different?” Kyungsoo said with one brow raised

“Delectable?” Junmyeon said with conviction

“Exotic?” Jongin piped in

“All of the above!”  Chanyeol decided.

“It’s not like Sehun’s gonna let that happen.” Kyungsoo injected.

“That’s why I have the perfect solution” Chanyeol said and raised a bottle of wine.

As if on cue. Baekhyun came dragging a drunk Sehun while still clutching the ½ empty bottle.

“Um… guys Sehun’s a little heavy?” Baekhyun said his eyes screaming for help.

“Jongin you’re the bestest best man in the world! I lurve dizz wiiiine.” Sehun said and peck the bottle.

“Kyungie~ did you grew taaller or you’re jusht using double corkk again? I told you not to invest too much on those growth pillss” Sehun ask Chanyeol

“This is bad.” Kyungsoo said worriedly. When Sehun got drunk he failed to recognize people, animals and things.

“This is perfect!” Chanyeol yelled excitedly bouncing like a kid. Kyungsoo turned around and walked away without any word.

“Chanyeol did you swapped the bottles?” Jongin said while inspecting the bottle of wine in Sehun’s hand. Baekhyun was amazed that even in such state he still manage to get a gripped of the bottle.

“Nope! I swear I did not! I arrived here first.” Chanyeol eyes were wide open. And Jongin realize it was his mistake.

“Well it’s already in motion, why won’t we keep the momentum, ne? Junmyeon said helping the struggling Baekhyun to carry Sehun in the bedroom they prepared beforehand. 

“Why are we doing this again?” Jongin said still uncertain to whether to support his friends or follow Kyungsoo inside the rowdy crowd. He opted for the first option because somehow Chayeol’s idea wasn’t that bad. And Jinri won’t know because any of this mess because everyone will sure to be tight lip about this. Yes his chicken wings are safe.

“Because we’re such great friends that we gave our buddy here a night to remember” Chanyeol declared looking smug as ever.

Beakhyun and Junmyeon were already at the bedroom. They placed the not so sober groom-to-be on the bed.

“I think he’s in the bathroom. Wait here” Baekhyun whispered to Junmyeon.

“Can I at least see him?” Junmyeon whisper back not sure why they are whispering when there no one’s around.

“No. Get out this might be awkward” Baekhyun pushed Junmyeon to the door.

“Hi. It’s me. You can come out now. I’m going out okay?” Baekhyun said against the bathroom door. He can hear the others breathing, Baekhyun thought he was nervous.

Baekhyun then glance at Sehun’s body which was weirdly sprawled on the bed. “Good luck baby Hun this is your last day as a single man hope you enjoy our gift” Baekhyun whispered and stepped out of the room to give privacy to them.

 

 

 

 

 

Present day

 

Sehun was holding a picture of him when he was seven years old. Looking like the child he saw back in the bakery. When he arrived at his house he immediately browsed their photo album. Most of his childhood photos were on his mother’s treasure box. Thankfully he found one that Jinri took when they were teasing each other back when they were still getting to know each other. He can’t shake the thought of the boy. He even wakes in the middle of the night as those pair of eyes and brows keep hunting his mind. It has been a week since that faithful encounter but he still spends some time in daylight thinking of possible reason why they looked the same. He looked back at the photo he was holding. A seven years old boy holding a chibi stuffed toy liberty that his uncle Jiho gave him as present from their New York trip. After some time he decided to go out and take a walk to clear his mind. He can’t afford to be this distracted for the rest of the week. It surprised him that his mind unconsciously lead him to the bakery where he’d seen the kid.

 

He was seated and looking around the bakery.

“May I help you with anything?” said one of the waitress

“One Americano please.” Sehun said to her

“Are you looking for someone? Do you have an appointment perhaps?” she inquired

“No. But I was actually looking for a boy. You see I was here last week and there was this boy around this tall” he then try to show the measure the boy with his hand“ probably 6-7 years old he was wearing faded tee and khaki shorts, arched eyebrows straight nose ” he said the last 2 words slowly not sure if he should be telling that detail.

“Ah, you mean that boy. He always comes here, admiring the displayed cake outside. He doesn’t seem to live around the area but I often see him near the dance studio, sometimes he’s playing on the playground. Why don’t you checked over there.”

“Thank you”

After drinking and paying he make his way to the playground. From a far he can see that there are many children outside. He wondered if he was there or he have to check up on each children. But fate has its way. The kid or Haowen is there, playing alone. He make his way and seated on one of the bench near Haowen. Haowen who was sitting on the grass looked up from what he’s doing. They looked at each other, then Sehun broke a smile. Haowen smiled at him too but made no movements to where he was instead he go back to what he’s doing.

“Do you remember me?” Sehun said after few minutes of silence. The boy just nodded without looking at Sehun.

“Why did you call me papa?” If this is his son, then there’s no use beating around the bush.

“Because that’s what children call their father” the boy said with no emotion at all still not paying Sehun a glimpse. But Sehun smiled, because he can picture himself saying the same thing and doing the same thing when he was younger.

“So you think I’m your father?” Sehun said without thinking. The boy stopped what he’s doing and looked to Sehun; eye to eye.

“I don’t think so. I knew you were” the boy looked so certain about this. And there’s only one way to find out how much of this were true.

“Where’s your mother? What’s her name?” Sehun said without braking an eye contact.

“My mother? I only have a baba.” Haowen said in poker face.

“Baba?” this make Sehun confused. What does he mean baba? Truthfully Sehun didn’t have a bunch of girlfriends in the past. Only a handful and as far as he know they were also married. And Sehun is sure none of them can be referred to as Baba.

“Can you take me to your baba then?”

The boy finally smiled and it melt Sehun to his core.

 “You should talk to uncle Xing first” Haowen said getting up and dusting his clothes.

“Who’s Xing?”

“Yixing. But I call him Xing. He’s baba’s friend and he always look after me whenever baba has to go to work”

“Where’s your uncle then?” the boy then pointed towards the building not far from where they are.

“Okay. Let’s go?” the boy then collected his plastic bottles and placed it inside his rugged bag.

When they entered the studio children are still in the middle of the lesson judging from the outside of the glass wall. Sehun stopped at the receptionist but Haowen walked toward one of the closed office near the entrance. He returned quickly with a man in tow. The same man he met a week ago. This must be Yixing. He’s still surprised upon seeing Sehun.

“D-did Haowen caused trouble again?” the man said to Sehun but not meeting his gaze instead he’s eyeing Haowen worriedly.

“No. he did not. I was just here to ask you permission if I could take him to his home.” Sehun said trying to catch the other man’s eyes.

“Look Mr. I don’t know you personally and I can’t let this kid come with you. I’m so sorry” Yixing said apologetically

“I know you won’t trust a stranger like me so here take this. It’s my calling card. You can call my office and confirmed it yourself.” Sehun handed him his calling card and Yixing took it.

“Still. Mr. Oh my friend trusted me his son I can’t just let you take him away.” Yixing was inspecting the card while talking to Sehun.

“I’m not a bad guy. I swear. Please understand I just wanted to talk to his… baba” Sehun pleaded and his last word made Yixing look at him directly.

Yixing sigh out and the crouched down to Haowen. They talked again in language Sehun do not understand. From the looked of it Haowen was convincing his uncle and Yixing still looked reluctant. After the exchange of words Yixing faced Sehun again.

“Okay.” Yixing simply said.

“Thank you.” Sehun said sincerely.

“Papa are we going home?” How Haowen called Sehun papa sets fire in Sehun’s heart. He wanted that term so badly for ages now. He took Haowen’s little hand and they walk hand in hand towards Sehun’s car. All the way wrapping Sehun’s chest with a warm he never felt before.

 

xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxo

 

He followed Haowen’s direction. They arrived on a placed Sehun never seen nor heard before. The houses were closely knitted with each other. Sehun is sure if a fire broke out it will spread fast and will turn the area into an ash within hour. There’s a narrow alley that they passed, the place isn’t organize, litters can be seen everywhere, children roaming around unsupervised they almost bumped into a drunk man. What kind of place is this? When Haowen stopped, it was apparent that they reached their home. Its s small tenement house with the same color as the others. Haowen picked the key from under the pot where it was hidden and opened the door.

The apartment was small but at least it was clean. The living/dining area has two chairs and a round table and a small kitchen. The place was almost empty. The appliance inside the house were the stove that was placed near the sink and a small television. Well didn’t know those model were still exist. There’s a smaller door which Sehun assumed as the bathroom and another door which might be the bedroom.

“Take a seat. Baba will come home soon” it was then that Sehun realized that he was still standing in the entrance with his hand still on the frame. He closed the door and take the seat opposite Haowen. Haowen talked about his Baba’s work and his uncle Yixing. Sehun’s eyes are still inspecting the house. When Haowen stopped his speech Sehun looked at him. Haowen seemed alarmed. He was about to asked what’s wrong.

“Papa quick hide” said Haowen with little panic on his face.

“Why?” Sehun said but he followed Haowen inside the bedroom.

“shhhh” Haowen cowers behind the door and he took Sehun’s hand to pull him down as well.

“Who’s-?” Sehun tried again.

“shhhhh” so Sehun just shut up maybe they were playing a game. Maybe his Baba is on his way home now and Haowen wanted to surprise his baba.

But whoever it was Sehun was sure it was not Haowen’s Baba. Because Haowen covered his ears and there’s a violent knock on the door so loud that Sehun thought it would knocked down the door any moment if it continue.

“I know you were there! I saw your bastard a while ago.” A woman’s voice yellede angrily. Another round of loud knocks came.

“I said open up! Your payment was due last month, pay up!” Sehun was sure the whole vicinity can hear her irritating voice. And she hit the door again and again.

“I’ll wait until tonight for your payment or by morning you’ll see your stuff on the street!” she shouted furiously. Sehun looked at Haowen who was looking on the floor they were sitting and Sehun wanted to cry. Even though the thought of Haowen being his son didn’t sink in completely he still cared for this boy.

When Haowen was sure that their landlord was away he stood up and gesture for Sehun to do the same. Now that Sehun was standing he noticed that they were in the bedroom. A tiny bedroom that is. But this bedroom has no bed at all only blankets and pillow neatly folded and laying on the floor. Looking around he caught glimpse of what seem to be a pile of junk. Garbage. That’s what Sehun’s mind say when he saw it closely. Why are there so many garbage in the room? Sehun wondered.

“Haowen what are these?” Sehun said pointing at clump of plastic bottles with drawn faces, oddly shaped cardboard in different colors, tin cans and are those dried bubble gums?

“Ah! Those are my toys” Haowen said earnestly

“Toys?”

“Baba can’t afford to buy me some so I make those myself.” Haowen said looking proud at his collections. He embraced the Haowen making the boy grasped in surprised. Sehun wanted to cry again. His heart was aching so badly at this moment. If Haowen is his son, then hell will break lose if he can’t take him home today. Never in his life have he dreamt about his son undergoing so much in such young age. It’s only been hours since they were reunited and this boy-this precious little one is already made such an impact in his ice cold heart.

“Are you okay?” Haowen said worriedly

Sehun just nodded afraid that he might burst out crying if he mention a word. After a minute he let go of Haowen.

“You look so much better in person!” Haowen said

“What?” Sehun said puzzled by the boy’s statement. Haowen then opened the sole drawer in the room and retrieve a folder. Haowen handed to Sehun. It was a paper from about a year ago when he was awarded young entrepreneur of the year. A cut out image of him waving with a curt smile. So this is what he’s talking about.

“Haowen are you already there?” an unfamiliar voice came followed by some shuffling.

“It’s baba!” Haowen announced to Sehun

“Sorry, I thought I can fetch you today-“

“Baba! Papa’s here!” Haowen immediately ran outside the bedroom.

“Haowen how many times do I have to tell you? You don’t have a papa” Luhan begin to scold his son.

When Sehun exited the room Luhan fell silence eyes wide open in surprised.

“Can we talk?” Sehun said simply. He can tell Luhan’s internal panic. Sehun tried to recall if he ever see this person. But Sehun was sure that if they’ve met before he wouldn’t easily forget that face.

“Haowen go to the bedroom and closed the door.” Luhan said to his son and after making sure Haowen was inside he faced Sehun without meeting his gaze.

“i-I don’t think – there’s anything that we should talk about. It’s all a misunderstanding” Luhan said looking slightly frightened his gaze is fixed on the floor avoiding Sehun inquisitive eyes.

“Look-“

“Luhan!”Haowen’s head was protruding from the door. Luhan glared at him and Haowen shut the bedroom door.

“Luhan, I just wanted to talk. I see no harm in that, except if you’re hiding something”

“I-I’m not hiding anything. Clearly Mr. you’re the one mistaken. Please don’t waste your time just because of my son’s beliefs, he’s just a child. He tends to believe in fantasy, happy endings and whatnot. See we don’t even know each other’s name.” Luhan is speaking low. Sehun doubted he don’t know his name.  

“I’m Sehun. Nice to meet you Luhan. Now if you’re so innocent then you’ll sit with me and talk. If you convince that you’re telling the truth, I’ll stay away and I swear not to show my face ever again.” Sehun said almost whispering. They’re afraid Haowen might hear them. Luhan begin to tremble.

“I know you have a family of your own. Please. Don’t take him away from me he’s the only one I got.” Luhan said and he begin to cry slowly kneeling on the floor hands pressed against his tear filled face. He looked so delicate and helpless and it send a prick in Sehun’s chest.

“How?” Sehun said kneeling down into Luhan’s level. He’s not entirely surprise that Haowen was his perhaps a small part of him was hoping for it to be true somehow.

“S-seven ye-years ago. Par-ty” Luhan said crying harder this time he can’t speak properly trying to muffle his sob. Sehun has no explanation to this except he was married seven years ago. There’s probably a hundred question needed to be answer but he let go of that because today might not be the right time to do so. He remember his friends maybe they can help him remember something that night that can enlighten his dimmed memory.

“What are you doing to baba?” Haowen said accusingly to Sehun. The door in the bedroom was wide open they were too focused with the matter at hand that they failed to notice the little kid.

“Why did you make baba cry?” Luhan just hug his son and Sehun can see Haowen comforting his crying baba. Before he can defend himself Luhan beat him to it.

“No. He didn’t anything to baba. You know how emotional Baba is.” Still Haowen shoot Sehun a glare.

“It’s not like you knew anyway” Luahn said and Sehun know it’s for him.

If he knew what will he do? Would he advised Luhan to abort the baby? Looking at Haowen at this moment how can he even think about that?

Will he be responsible? Cancel the wedding make Jinri cry and suffered the embarrassment?  Sehun’s head was spinning in no particular direction. All his life he believed in his sparkling perfect life he’s living in.

After Luhan calmed down Haowen was still beside his baba running his hand to Luhan’s back.

“It’s already late I think you should go now” Luhan finally said.

“I think I disturb you enough today so why don’t I take you out for dinner?” Sehun’s feeling guilty for waiting their time.  

“Really? We’re going to eat outside?” Haowen looked excited so Sehun just nodded.

Luhan was painfully quite throughout the drive. When Sehun asked where they wanted to eat Haowen answered to McDonald’s with so much enthusiasm.

“Can I have a toy?”

“Sure thing!” If I could buy all the toys in this world just to make it up to you all those lost years I would. Sehun ruffled his hair.

When they were eating Luhan remained silent looking out for his son.

“I’ll drive you home after we finished.”

“You don’t have to” Luhan said picking up the fries. Sehun can’t tell what he’s thinking but he looked dejected.

“I needed to. There’s something I still need to do, besides it’s not that late” Sehun said giving out one of the burger to Haowen.

“I don’t like tomatoes, they’re sour and have those yucky seeds.” Haowen said upon opening the paper wrapper.

Both of them removed the annoying tomatoes in their burger because Sehun doesn’t like them as well.

“You won’t grow up if you continue being picky.” Luhan threatens weakly.

“Baba can have it if he wants” Haowen pushed the plate into Luhan’s side.

Sehun just smiled because truly he is Sehun’s.

 

 


Again forgive my mistakes there’s plenty there I know.

Next one will be the other side of the story.