The Cutie

Halcyon Days

I stood there for a moment before spinning around, screaming in frustration, and punching the steel fence. The people below were too mesmerized by the fireworks to notice me having a nervous breakdown on the roof. I gave the fence a couple more punches before my hands were stopped in their ministrations, held in place by large, warm ones.

“You shouldn’t do that, noona.”

I let a soft smile surface on my lips.

“You’re calling me noona now, huh?”

“Don’t hurt yourself, noona. It’s not worth it. He’s not worth it,” Jongin said, running his long, slender fingers over my reddened knuckles.

I grinned at him and lifted his hands to my cheeks, holding them there.

“Noona?”

“Shh, Jongin.”

I closed my eyes and felt the warmth of his hands seep into my cold skin, the blood coursing through his veins beating a captivating rhythm that lulled me to sleep. I opened my eyes slowly, looking him in the eye. He was looking back at me quizzically, wondering what I was up to.

“You’re really warm,” I said, letting go of his hands. The truth was, I wanted to hug Jongin and cry into his shoulder. I wanted to ask him why I loved Luhan oppa so much and why I didn’t love Baekhyun instead. I wanted to shout profanities into the heavens. But Jongin already saw me cry once this week. I don’t think he’d appreciate a replay.

“Are you okay?” he asked, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

“Fit as a fiddle,” I say, twirling around. Jongin raised an eyebrow at me, obviously aware that something was wrong. I laughed at the look on his face.

“Look, noona-“

“Hyeonsung.”

“Hyeonsung. I’m sorry about yesterday. I really did mean it when I said I-“

The door swung open revealing a head of floppy blond hair on top of a lanky frame. Sehun peeked out of the door, a big smile on his face. “Hi, noona!” He took one look at me and looked over at Jongin, then back at me, then back at Jongin. “Am I interrupting something?” he asked, tilting his head to the side.

“No,” I said. “Yes,” Jongin said. I looked at Jongin and let out a sigh, knowing he wouldn’t let it go if I didn’t give him the chance to speak now.

“What did you need, Sehun?”

“I was just wondering what time we’ll be meeting up tomorrow.”

“Six in the morning.”

“Okay, noona,” Sehun sing-songed, glancing at Jongin once before getting out of our hair.

Jongin looked back at me after having glared at Sehun the entire time he was poking his face out the door and said, “When I said I loved you, I really did mean it.”

“Yeah and when I said I’m sorry, I really did mean it, too,” I said, putting my hands on his warm forearms. He gave me a sad look, big, shiny eyes looking into my own, begging me to give him another chance.

“I’m not giving up,” he declared. “I’m not giving up on you.”

I smiled mischievously at him. “Okay, Jongin. Whatever you say.”

The next morning, we were headed to a hot springs as a reward for a successful performance during the festival. We boarded a bus to get us there, and my little idiots were working hard at making my life a living hell.

“Kyungsoo, why are they all so rambunctious?” I sigh into Kyungsoo umma’s shoulder as I leaned against him. Baekhyun and Chen were walking around the bus taking pictures with people, Sehun and Kai were running around on the bus, wrestling, Tao and Kris were just taking pictures everywhere on the bus. I got tired of yelling at them to take their seats so I just let them do what they want.

“Because they’re hormonal teenage boys who have brains smaller than a dinosaur’s,” Kyungsoo umma said, looking straight into space.

I spent all day sleeping and the afternoon scrubbing ink off of my face. I swear those idiots get a bit more immature with each passing second. The night rolled around and the door of my room burst open and twelve dummies walked in.

“What the hell are you all doing here?” I asked in a monotonous voice.

“Well, we were playing games and we thought you should join,” Baekhyun explained.

“What kind of game?” I ask, raising an eyebrow as emphasis.

“Seven minutes in heaven,” Baekhyun said. I hit him in the shin.

“No, seriously,” I said, swinging my legs off the bed.

“We’re playing truth or dare,” Junmyeon oppa said. “It’s your turn now.”

I looked up in contemplation before deciding on truth because if I choose dare they’ll make me do something totally unreasonable and stupid and I don’t want that.

“I choose truth.”

Cue the chicken noises.

“Oh my God, SHUT UP! JUST ASK ME A DAMN QUESTION.”

Everyone cracked up laughing. Luhan oppa patted me on the back. “Calm down, Hyeonsung-ah,” he said, eyes crinkling as he laughed.

“Okay, question!” Jongin called, apparently unable to come up with a question of his own.

They all looked thoughtful before Chanyeol piped up. “Oh, I have one!”

I looked at him with a warning stare, knowing he knows all the things I would never dream of telling the other members and I trust him enough not to bring any of it up.

“If you had to make out with any of them for ten minutes, who would you choose?”

I choked on my spit.

“Whoa, wait-“

“Just answer the question, noona!”

“That’s kind of a stretch, isn’t it? It’s a bit too personal, right? Guys?”

They were all silently looking at me in anticipation.

I put my hands on my face and muttered, “Sehun.”

In less than a second, the room was alive with hooting and howling. Some of them were patting Sehun on the back and others were expressing their disbelief in my choice.

“What? Sehun’s hot. Have you seen his collarbones?”

They all stared at me, baffled.

“Noona, are you drunk?” Chanyeol asked.

“I’m not! Why do you treat me like I’m some kind of drunkard?! I only drink occasionally,” I defended, throwing my hands all over the place.

“Well, because you seem uncharacteristically bold, saying Sehun’s hot all of a sudden.”

Sehun was smiling quietly to himself, like he knew something we didn’t and I felt guilty for having fantasies about him. He was a cute kid, that Sehun-ah. He always looked so innocent and childish and even acted like a baby. Not to mention he was the youngest of the bunch. But, hey, the boy was fine and even I couldn’t deny his iness.

“Then, I dare Sehun to spend ten minutes in this room alone with you,” Chanyeol said. Everyone fell silent.

All eyes turned to look at Sehun and I hoped to God he would chicken out. Or maybe not. Wait, what the hell was I thinking?! I am supposed to be a responsible manager noona who DOESN’T make out with the band she manages. I’ve already made out with like two of them. Am I really going to cross that line? I can’t keep this up.

“Okay.”

“WHAT?!” everyone cried.

“Chanyeol hyung was obviously joking, right?” Kai asked, looking at Chanyeol intently.

“We all agreed we wouldn’t pick on Hyeonsung this weekend, didn’t we?” Minseok oppa reminded everyone.

“We’re not going to do anything...” Sehun said, rubbing his neck sheepishly.

Eleven pairs of eyes looked pointedly at Sehun before relenting and standing up to leave the room. Luhan oppa whispered something to Sehun before leaving and closing the door behind him. Huh. I wonder what he told Sehun.

“So, Sehun, what are you-“

It all happened in a flash. My back was against the mattress of my bed and Sehun’s lips were on mine like liquid fire, kissing and and nibbling. His cold fingertips were running over the edge of my shirt, teasing and lifting little by little. His other hand was at my waist, pulling me closer to his frame, closing the remaining distance between us and letting our heat mingle with each other’s. I relaxed in his hold, letting my eyes flutter closed and kissing back with equal, if not more, fervor.

His tongue expertly slipped past my lips and danced with my own while his hands slipped past the edge of my shirt and started drawing patterns on the lower part of my stomach. He pulled his tongue out of my mouth to shower my lips with a torrent of butterfly kisses, over and over again he pecked my lips, only stopping to envelope my lips with his again, deepening the kiss further, as far as he could.

He let go of my bruised lips and I breathed in greedily, filling my lungs with the air they were deprived of for the past two minutes. He busied himself with playing with the hem of my shirt and kissing my neck. He spread light pecks all over the area between my neck and my shoulder, pulling my sleeve down to get more skin. He bit down softly after a spot right in the junction of my neck and my shoulder and I couldn’t hold in the moan that escaped my mouth.

“Sehun-ah,” I whispered.

“Hm,” he spoke against my neck, ceaselessly nibbling and kissing.

“Stop. They might come,” I say, trying to push him off of me.

He laughed, his chuckle reverberating through my skin.

“That’s what she said,” he said, finally stopping and hovering over me instead.

“What... What was that?” I asked breathlessly.

Sehun shrugged before kissing me on the lips again.

“You’re really cute like this, noona,” Sehun said, smiling.

He rolled off of me and sat down on the floor, fixing his hair.

The others burst in and charged at Sehun. They knocked him over and put him in a headlock, wrestling him to the ground. They were all shouting various statements of rage while I looked at the ceiling, catching my breath still.

“How dare you touch noona?!”

“I didn’t touch her!”

“We heard her moan; don’t lie!”

“What did you do to her?!”

“Nothing!!! We didn’t do anything!”

They drove Sehun out of the room, pushing him back and forth among them. I looked over just in time to see him look over his shoulder. He shot me a cute little wink before turning back to watch where he was going.

I smiled to myself and rolled over on my side, facing the wall. I don’t know what’s gotten into these boys but I can’t really complain. Screw being a responsible manager noona. They’re all hot and this is what youth is all about.

I closed my eyes, getting ready to fall asleep when a tap on my shoulder jolted me awake.

“Hyeonsung-ah.”

I know that voice. I could hear that voice from miles away and still know who it belonged to. It was the sound of an angel singing. It was the sound that rang in my ears before I went to bed. It was a beautiful tone.

I turned around immediately and came face-to-face with the love of my life.

“Luhan oppa.”

He smiled his sugary sweet smile and sat on the edge of my bed.

“I didn’t catch you after the festival,” he said, brushing my hair behind my ear.

I cringed, recalling what had happened that night.

I love you, Hyeonsung-ah. More than you will ever know. More than anyone or anything.

I shook my head to try and clear the thoughts.

“Yeah, I went straight home. Sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve been meaning to ask you something for a while, though.”

I looked up at him curiously. I sat up so I was at eye-level with him and asked, “What is it?”

He grinned.

“Be my girlfriend.”