The Cousin

Halcyon Days

“This is Hyeonsung noona. She’s my cousin and she’s willing to be our manager noona.”

“A girl? Really?” a panda-looking kid asked.

“Why? Is there a problem with being a girl?” I asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing my arms.

“Oooh~ Feisty! I like her! Let’s take her, Suho hyung!” Baekhyun oppa said. Wait, Baekhyun oppa is here? I thought he was sane. Guess not.

“Baekhyun oppa?”

“Ah~ So adorable! Don’t call me oppa anymore! After all, you’re our manager noona now.”

“Wait; hold on, why exactly do you need me to be your manager? There’s like twelve of you.”

Suho oppa, I assume that’s who he is, stepped up and said, “Well, we were originally planning to have me as both the leader and the manager of the club but it turns out that isn’t allowed, and all of the seniors either have their own clubs to manage or their own roles to play in their clubs. So, we would be very honored if you would take care of us.” He bowed a perfect 90 degree angle in front of me and I felt panicked.

“Don’t worry, Hyeonsung. Hyung is just very formal to people he’s not quite familiar with yet,” Jongdae said. Hold on, Jongdae’s here, too?! Jongdae, of all people! I thought he had the most sense in my class.

“O-oh, I see,” I stood there awkwardly, trying to process the amount of responsibility on my shoulders at that moment. Twelve guys were lined up in front of me, asking me to be their manager. I looked to Chanyeol and he gave me a thumbs-up. I looked back to the line of twelve and bowed low, a formal 90 degrees. “I’ll do my best.”

Suddenly, everyone started clapping and I straightened my back. I looked at them all questioningly and they were all grinning at me.

“Um, may I ask a question?”

“Sure, anything,” a beautiful man said, Lu Han was his name apparently, according to his nametag, and I swear I was in love—but that’s a story for another time. This is Chanyeol’s story.

“Why did you applaud me?”

A tall blond guy with a sharp chin spoke up.

“You’re the first girl we brought here who didn’t faint because of our insane good looks.”

It took me everything to keep from slapping him upside the head.

Six months later, I now had enough knowledge about the twelve nutheads to testify that they were TOTALLY INSANE AND BEYOND HELP. I am telling you they’re dysfunctional and no one listens to the manager ever. I think the only one I can tolerate around here is Chanyeol, because he’s my cousin and all.

“I’m telling you all we should get the black costumes! They’re cheaper and better looking and the quality isn’t bad, either!”

“But we always wear black! Why can’t we wear pink this time?”

“Or blue!”

“BECAUSE NOT ALL OF YOU LOOK GOOD IN PINK OR BLUE AND BLACK FITS YOUR MOTIF! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS?!”

Chanyeol came over and tried to calm me down. “Relax, noona.”

“NO! NOT UNTIL THEY START BEING REASONABLE!”

“Noona, they’re riling you up by being silly, you know that.” Chanyeol placed his big warm hands on my shoulders and smoothed them down until I cooled off. I put my hand to my forehead and pinched the bridge of my nose. “I swear you’ll all be the death of me.”

Junmyeon chimed in, “Why don’t you head out early today, Hyeonsung? You seem stressed. Go home and relax.” He flashed me one of his million-dollar smiles and I knew no wasn’t an option.

“But, oppa-“ I tried to say, but he cut me off. “We’re all concerned about your well-being. I’ll handle it from here. Don’t you trust me?”

The truth was, no, I didn’t trust Junmyeon oppa. He was the goofy leader hyung who could never get his lambs of members in one place. That was why they had me, I think. They would never get anything done if I left them but he seemed pretty insistent. Plus, I couldn’t really tell Junmyeon oppa flat out that I thought he was a good-for-nothing leader...

“Of course I do, oppa. But...”

“Then go on and go get some rest already, Hyeonnie!”

Everybody’s ears twitched at that.

“EEEEHH?!!! HYEONNIE??!!!!”

Aaand that was my cue to get the hell out of there.

Making my way through the corridors, I heard quick, heavy footsteps approaching my direction. “Noona! Noona!” A voice I knew all too well made me stop in my tracks.

I turned around to see Chanyeol running up to me, his worn-out blue backpack slung over his shoulder. “Let’s go home together.”

I grinned. “Of course.” I linked arms with him and strode out the school.

I had an older brother who was away for college, so Chanyeol and his sister were the closest I had to siblings. I spent half of my year sleeping at their place last year and my mom started to sulk because she thought I didn’t like hanging out with her anymore. Truth was, Chanyeol was a party to be around and his noona was the best at giving advice. One time I was in a really complicated situation, something to do with my two best friends fighting and wanting me to side with one of them and she helped me through it. Chanyeol’s also the sweetest. He always buys his noona coffee when she’s busy with schoolwork. He teaches me how to dance and rap and massages my back when I get home really tired. We’ve had so many inside jokes and we finish each other’s sentences so much that sometimes people mistake us for twins.

The thing with Chanyeol is he’s just a jolly kid at heart and at mind. He doesn’t overcomplicate things and he likes to enjoy the simple things in life. I wish I could be like him, too. I wish I could be as happy-go-lucky and carefree as Chanyeol. Not to mention good-looking. If I got as many love letters as he does on Valentine’s, I wouldn’t have any problems with my self-esteem whatsoever.

This time, though, Chanyeol is unusually quiet, but I’m not complaining. Quiet Chanyeol is still Chanyeol, and I love Chanyeol’s guts to the sun and back again. Besides, I understand no one can always be hyper and cheerful all the time, and I like the quiet. It’s not suffocating. It’s just comfortable.

On the turn to our road, Chanyeol kept walking forward. I looked at him questioningly, before calling out his name.

“Hey, Chanyeol, where do you think you’re going?”

He gave me a thumbs-up and said, “Don’t worry about it, noona! Just follow me.”

So, I did. I don’t know why, but when it’s Chanyeol, I can’t help trusting him. He just exudes this aura of trustworthiness, like I could jump off a building and I know he’d catch me if he said so.

Half an hour later, my feet were sore and my breath was bated. I had a feeling we were going to be walking for a longer while so I asked for a break.

“Chanyeol, can we take a break for a second?”

Chanyeol looked back at me, “No, no, it’s almost too late! I’ll just carry you on my back!”

He kneeled down.

“I don’t think you can take me...”

“’Course I can! Hop on, or we won’t make it in time!”

“Fine, fine,” I resigned, hopping on Chanyeol’s broad back.

I remember when Chanyeol was a scrawny nerdy kid. Back then, he was always so fascinated with dinosaurs and animals. He even wore glasses. Now, he’s taller, way way taller, than I am and he’s so strong and charming. No wonder girls make an effort to put up fansites for him.

To Chanyeol, though, none of that matters. Sure, sometimes he’d boast about it. Sometimes, he’d pride himself in his good looks and tease others about how more popular he is than them. But in all honesty it’s just a joke. Deep down, he’s still a little kid. He’s still a little kid who’s down-to-earth and just wants to have fun. And maybe party a little on the side. Can’t blame him though. Child’s got the looks of a rock star.

A few minutes later, just as the sun hit the horizon, the sound of waves crashing against the shore filled my ears. Chanyeol kneeled down again so I could hop off of him, and I wobbled to the soft sand of the beach.

I ran into the sea to as far as I could go without getting my skirt wet and played in the waves, basking in the setting sun. Chanyeol came over soon afterwards and started splashing me with seawater.

“Nooo! Chanyeol, my uniform!”

“Oh, right, right! I’m sorry. Wear this,” he said as he covered me with his school jacket.

“Thanks. Let’s get out of here, we might get sick.”

We linked arms and walked back to shore. We sat next to each other in front of the orange sky, waiting for the moon to show up and the stars to paint the sky.

“I’m sorry about the guys.”

“Oh, no, I’m sorry I lost my temper.”

“I’d lose my temper, too, if I were you,” he said as he skipped a stone and it sank instead of skipping.

“Ugh, they’re just so... Ugh!”

He chuckled and put an arm around my shoulders.

“I know, I know. Sometimes, you just need a break from it all.”

The moon finally showed up and the moonlight shone down on the sea. It reflected the moon and the stars so beautifully that I had to sigh in awe.

“Wow. Thanks for bringing me here.”

“No problem. I come here when I need to clear my mind. It’s really peaceful and quiet.”

“It is.” I sighed and rested my head on his strong shoulder.

A comfortable silence enveloped us both. I sigh in relief. I love being alone with Chanyeol like this. It doesn’t bring any pressure. I can just relax and be myself around him. He doesn’t judge. Not too harshly, anyway. It’s one of the many things I wish was also one of my traits. I can’t count how many times I wished I was like Chanyeol.

“Hey, noona, let’s play a game.”

“Hm?” I didn’t realize I closed my eyes out of habit.

“Let’s play a game. You know the game, two truths and a lie?”

“Yeah, I’m familiar.”

“Let’s play. You start.”

I looked up at Chanyeol and though I wasn’t really in the mood to play games, the fact that he took me here just because he knew I was stressed and the puppy eyes he was giving me left me no option but to resign to his wishes.

“Okay, let’s see. I’m in love with Luhan oppa, I’m in love with Junmyeon oppa, and I want to marry Luhan oppa and have his babies.”

Chanyeol wrinkled his nose at me disapprovingly.

“First of all, that’s four statements. Second of all, you’re not even trying!”

“What? You don’t know! I might have developed an unending love for Junmyeon oppa and his tear-stained bread!”

“I know you’re still in love with Luhan hyung.”

“I never confirmed it!”

“Don’t lie; I’ve seen the way you stare at him during practices.” He looked at me with a smug smile on his face and I punched his cheek lightly.

“Ow!”

“Oh, shut up, that wasn’t even a hard punch.”

“You’re stronger than the average girl, noona!”

“I know I am. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be able to survive 6 months of being with you dolts. Now, your turn.”

Chanyeol pouted. “No fair! Do yours again, for real this time!”

I sighed. “Fine, fine. Let’s see...”

Chanyeol looked at me expectantly. He knew everything about me so he’d probably win this game. Chanyeol was a social butterfly. He had friends I’d never even seen before. I reckon I don’t know everything about him.

“I’m in love with Jongin, I think Luhan oppa is perfect, and I love carrots.”

Chanyeol blinked once. Twice. Then a look of shock and disbelief appeared on his face.

“WHOA! WAIT! YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH JONGIN!”

“...Just identify which one is the lie already.”

“Well, obviously, you hate carrots so it’s the third one but YOU’RE IN LOVE WITH JONGIN?!”

“It’s just a crush, sheesh, don’t make such a big deal out of it. I only said it so you’d shut up.” I rubbed the back of my neck with my hand, embarrassed. I never planned on telling anyone I had developed a little crush on Jongin but I knew Chanyeol wouldn’t tell anyone.

“No, no! You clearly said in love and that’s like, five levels higher than ‘just a crush’!” Chanyeol exclaimed, a victorious grin forming on his face. “You like Jongin~ You like Jongin~” he started chanting.

I put my hand over his mouth to quiet him. “Yes, yes, I do, now, shh! It’ll probably go away soon, though. It’s just... You know, when he dances...”

“Yeah, yeah, you talk too much. Bottom line is you like Kai. I’m going to set you up with him.”

“Whatever you want, Chanyeol. Whatever you want. Hey, it’s your turn.”

He looked thoughtful for a moment before speaking.

“Okay, well, I have small ears, I think I like guys, and I have 10000 won in my pocket.”

...

...

...

“OH MY GOD CHANYEOL YOU LIKE GUYS!!!”

“SHH, NOONA!!!”

“OH MY GOD, I NEVER THOUGHT THIS DAY WOULD COME! I’M SO PROUD OF YOU. DON’T WORRY I’LL FIND YOU A NICE LITTLE BOYFRIEND AND YOU CAN GO RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET WITH HIM. OH, PROMISE ME I’LL BE YOUR MAID OF HONOR. I’M SO EXCITED OH MY GOD CHANYEOL YOU’RE GAY! I LOVE YOU!”

            “I love you, too, noona, but please quiet down,” Chanyeol said bashfully. He was obviously flustered, which was to be expected. Coming out of the closet was not an easy task, after all. “And you don’t have to worry about finding me a ‘nice little boyfriend’.”

I looked at him, pressing him to continue.

“I already have one.”

The excited scream that came out of my mouth might have woken a few people that night.