The Crush

Halcyon Days

When Tao and I got back, the boys were wrapping up their last practice for the day. Why do I get the feeling that Tao just wanted to get out of practice? Damn that boy and his childish charm that makes you give into anything he wants. Manipulative jerk.

“Okay, guys, good work today,” Suho oppa cheered, earning no response from the members who were hurrying to get home or maybe go somewhere. Suho oppa didn’t look like he noticed, though. He was busy with packing up his things, too. This week was a pretty busy week for everyone so I’m not very surprised. I just thought they’d give a little acknowledgement, is all.

“Hey, guys,” I called out. Some looked over, some kept doing what they were doing before, but I didn’t wait for them to finish before I spoke. “I’m sorry about not being around so much. I promise I’ll stay the whole time tomorrow at practice.”

“It’s all right, Hyeonsung. Kai dances better without you around,” Baekhyun says loudly, earning a few snickers around the room. Kai looks nonchalant, as if he hasn’t even heard anything. Sehun smiles like he knows something we don’t and nudges Kai in the waist. He says something to Kai, to which Kai replies, “Shut up, Sehun-ah.”

“But we dance better with your support, too, so please keep taking care of us,” Luhan said and I could just grab his face and kiss him right then and there—but I can’t. Luhan oppa and I aren’t even close. What am I thinking?

“I-I... O-O-Of course, Luhan oppa. I’ll do my very best.”

The other members looked at each other knowingly while my face lit up and resembled a tomato in less than ten seconds.

I started to pack up my things and called out to Chanyeol who was by my side faster than you can say saranghaja.

“We’ll be going home together, yeah?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, noona. I’m going to jam with the boys today. Maybe you can ask Luhan hyung to walk you home,” he said with a wink. Unfortunately, Luhan oppa lived in the opposite direction of where I lived, and I didn’t want to burden him.

“Come on, Chanyeol. You know I can’t do that,” I said. He laughed and slung his backpack over his shoulder. “Well, maybe you should ask Kai~” he teased. I narrowed my eyes and hit his arm. “You know I can’t do that either, Chanyeol,” I said with a hostile tone.

“Why not?” he asked.

“You know why not,” I said.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it, really. Just ask him to walk you home.”

“No! He might get the wrong idea and I don’t want any more trouble than I already get from handling the twelve of you.”

“Just get someone else, noona. I really have to go now. Sorry.”

He ruffled my hair and took his leave, running through the door.

I examined the remaining members in the room. Only Jongdae, Baekhyun, Tao, Kris, Sehun, and Jongin hadn’t left yet so I had plenty of choices. Actually, no, having Baekhyun walk me home would just leave me in a bad mood. He teases so much I swear he could set a world record. Tao is out of the question, too, because he’d be too scared to go home alone and I’d end up being the one to walk him home. Kris would just make me realize that stupidity knows no bounds and would gain me plenty of angry and jealous glares from random girls on the street. And Jongin was, well, Jongin. I’m pretty sure you know by now what my issue is with Jongin. And, if you don’t, I’m still not sure how I feel about him either so don’t feel too bad. That leaves Jongdae and Sehun, then...

“Hey, Thehun, I mean, Sehun, come over here.”

Sehun looked over at me with an inquisitive stare and walked, more like waddled, really, towards me at a turtle’s pace.

“Yes, noona?”

“I need you to help me out.”

He kept silent, staring me in the face until I continued talking.

“Accompany me to pick up your costumes and walk me home.”

Sehun’s face looked alarmed, like he just realized something. He took something out of his pocket. He looked inside his wallet and I saw his face visibly fall.

“Sorry, noona, I don’t have enough money to ride the train back home,” Sehun said apologetically.

“It’s okay, I’ll just pay for your ticket,” I said.

“Don’t bother, Hyeonsung-ah. I’ll take care of it,” someone said suddenly, cutting into our conversation.

“You’ll pay for my ticket, hyung?”

“No, I’ll walk Hyeonsung home. You have somewhere to be today, right?”

“Well, it’s just bubble tea with Luhan... I mean, Luhan hyung. I can go if you’re busy,” Sehun explained.

Chen smiled, the corner of his mouth curling like always, and put his arm around my shoulders.

“Don’t worry about me. I’m free if it’s for Hyeonsung~” he sing-songed.

I shrugged off his arm and looked at him skeptically.

“What are you after?” I ask in a suspicious tone of voice.

Chen laughed melodically and said, “Nothing! I just want to help out. Is that too out-of-character for you?”

I raised my eyebrow at him.

“One, yes, it is. Two, I swear if you have something up your sleeve-“

“I don’t!” He shook his sleeve to make a point. “I really want to help out.”

I look him over one last time while he stands there, smiling like an idiot. Well, to be fair, they all smile like idiots. They are all idiots.

“...Fine. Nevermind, Sehun, thanks anyway.”

“Okay, noona. See you tomorrow,” Sehun said before walking away.

I picked my bag up off the floor and put it on my back while I said, “What’s gotten into you?”

He just smiled at me, that aspartame smile that sent thousands of girls home screaming. Not me, though. Never me.

We walked in silence towards the gate of the campus. Jongdae and I weren’t the closest of friends but we weren’t on bad terms either. It was just that when I was with Jongdae, I was usually with Baekhyun, too. And Baekhyun had an attitude as explosive as dynamite. He overshadowed Jongdae most of the time, so even though Jongdae sat next to me in class, we’ve never really had a close relationship. I think the longest conversation we’ve had is when I asked him about something during Ability Regulation class. Our relationship is basically built on school-related questions and club activities. Other than that, nothing.

Although, I had to admit, I wish I could be closer to Jongdae. I mean, he’s really nice. He helps out a lot even when he doesn’t get anything in return. Plus, he’s a little mischievous in an endearing way. He teases, too, but not in Baekhyun’s manner. And he’s really funny, especially when he rips on Suho oppa. On top of that, he’s pretty easy on the eyes, too. He has long eyelashes and a charming smile. His eyes always have this little twinkle to them that makes it seem like he’s always up to something.  Hell, I even find his high cheekbones that everyone teases him over attractive.

Wait a second...

First, Jongin, now, Jongdae? What is with Kims and Jongs nowadays?! Why is this happening all over again?

No, I don’t like Jongdae. I don’t like Jongdae at all. I just think he’s attractive. That’s all there is to it.

Not even if he’s holding my hand, wait, what, when did that happen?!

Why in the hell is Jongdae holding my hand?!

Was what I was thinking before I shook my head out of my reverie and looked up at the stop light alight in green ahead of us. Apparently, while I was lost in my Jongdae fantasies, we’d finally come to the street where we had our costumes made and he was holding my hand as we crossed the street.

Oh, Jongdae...

No! You can’t like him, Hyeonsung! You can’t!

Sadly, after what felt like an eternity of crossing the street and unlike what happens in dramas, he let go of my hand. When will I ever get a boy who always follows drama scenarios? It would make life much easier if he did that.

“Hyeonsung-ah?”

“Y-Yeah.”

“Is anything wrong? You look like a blown-up tomato.”

“No, it’s just the heat—wait, ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?!”

Jongdae chuckled with glee and pat me on the back.

“Well, you’re not exactly thin-“

“I’m going to murder you!”

He just laughed and walked ahead of me towards the store where we always had their costumes made. I made a face at him and ran to catch up to him. Boy, does he walk fast with those long legs of his. Of course, Chanyeol’s was longer but compared to my short stubs, he had towers for legs!

“How dare you leave me like that? I’m a goddamn lady!” I said as I hit him in the shoulder.

“Not with that mouth, you aren’t. Why do you even talk like that, Hyeonsung-ah?”

“Wha- Well, it’s just I hung around street kids in my neighborhood a lot when I was a kid, back in the province. They were a bit older so I picked up a lot of habits from them,” I explained, rubbing the back of my neck embarrassedly. I swear I’m trying to tone down my cursing, but old habits die hard.

“Ah, you were out of the house a lot as a kid?”

“Yeah-“

“Then that explains your complexion.”

...

I put Jongdae in a headlock and violently ruffled his hair. “What’d you say about my complexion, you little ?!”

Jongdae was laughing his heart out while crying in pain. I don’t understand Jongdae sometimes. No, I don’t understand any of them all the time. They’re just so... Stupid.

“I’m sorry, I was just joking! Hahahaha,” he said over and over until I let him go.

“That’s right, you better be joking.”

“But a little moisturizer never hurt anyone, Hyeonsung-ah.”

I glared at him. He threw his hands up.

“I’m just saying.”

“Whatever,” I say, entering the store.

“Oh, it’s the girl who has many boyfriends! Come in, come in, I have the costumes ready,” the storeowner, Jo, said.

“Jo, they’re not my boyfriends... I would lose my mind if any of them became my boyfriend, really,” I said, shaking my head and pinching the bridge of my nose.

“Ah, that hurts, Hyeonsung-ah,” Jongdae said, feigning hurt as he put his hand to his heart.

“Is this the one you were telling me about, Hyeon-ah? Jongin, was it? It’s great to finally meet you,” Jo said, taking a bow.

“No, no! This is Jongdae, not Jongin! And I’ve only told you about Jongin once because of his change in number, don’t make it sound like I talk about him all the time!”

“Well, you do talk about him all the time, tough...” Jo said.

“Ooh~ What’s this?” Jongdae asked teasingly.

“Nothing! It’s nothing! Jo, just... Just give me the costumes, please.”

“Okay, hold on,” Jo said, going into the back and coming out with the costumes in his hands. He hands them over to Jongdae who takes it without any effort.

“Thanks, Jo. I’ll see you next time.”

“Hey, hey, hold on,” he said, scrutinizing Jongin and me. Suddenly, he smiled a big wide smile.

“You two look good together.”

“Ah, shut up, Jo,” I said, walking out of the store, Jongdae hot on my heels.

I stood outside the store and ran a hand through my hair before sighing. Jongdae laughed.

“You let things get to you too easily. Just brush it off.”

“That’s what I’m doing now,” I said as my eyes strayed to the dress store on the other side of the street. On the display was a beautiful white wedding gown which caught my eye immediately.

“So, were you serious about not wanting to date any of the twelve of us?”

“Of course, I was. It’s too much trouble.”

“Ah, that’s a shame,” Jongdae said, turning his face to the side.

I jolted and looked up at his face against the light of the setting sun. Wow, Jongdae really was handsome.

“I’d love to carry you in my arms, preferably in a wedding dress like that,” he said turning his back to me and walking off.