The Senior

Halcyon Days

The walk home with Jongdae was rather uncomfortable silent. Neither of us dared to speak up and I didn’t want to ask him about what he’d said. He seemed to not want to talk to me about it either.

I stepped on the path that led to the door of my house and turned to say goodbye to Jongdae but before I could speak, I felt a tingling sensation on my forehead.

Oh god oh god oh god.

Jongdae is kissing me!!!

This day just keeps getting worse for my raging teenage hormones!

“See you tomorrow, Hyeonsung-ah,” Jongdae said before smiling and turning to walk the other way. I stood in front of my door for a few seconds, reveling in what just happened.

What just happened?

Jongdae just kissed me on the forehead.

Was it real?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s real.

What are you going to do about it?

I don’t know yet.

What I do know is my mom just saw what happened and she is going to kill me.

So, I went straight to Chanyeol’s house. Luckily, he was there already.

“Chanyeeeooool,” I whined, flopping on the couch.

“Noona! What’s wrong? Do you have a fever? Do you not feel well?” Chanyeol said, panicking over me like a worried mother bird.

“No, I’m not. I’m confused.”

“Confused?”

“Yes,” I murmured into the sofa cushions.

“About what?”

I turned my head to the side and looked Chanyeol in the eye.

“Jongdae kissed me.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes! On the forehead! After he walked me home!”

“What the hell?! I swear after this year is over everyone’s going to be all over you!”

I rolled over and blinked up at Chanyeol.

“What? Why? Do you know something I don’t know?”

Chanyeol shifted his eyes to the side and said, “No, I don’t. I just... I was just saying...”

“Chanyeol, you’re a terrible liar. But whatever, if you don’t want to tell me, then don’t.”

“Sorry, noona. You’ll figure it out in time,” he said patting me on the back.

“I’m just so confused, y’know. Like, I like Kai but I also like Luhan oppa and now I like Jongdae. Pretty soon I might even be liking Kyungsoo umma if I keep this up. Am I really that easy?” I asked.

“Noona, you’re not easy. You just like people a lot.”

I bury my head in the sofa cushions, determined to suffocate myself.

“What should I do?”

“Don’t take it too seriously. Just because you like someone doesn’t mean you have to marry them.”

My ears perked up.

“You’re right.” I picked myself off the sofa. “You’re right. I’m overreacting.”

“Yes, you are, noona. Now, go take your things to the guest room and sleep. Are you drunk?”

I blinked up at him twice. “No.”

“Good. Now, go,” he said as he gave a little push towards the guest room.

I’m not drunk, just a little tipsy. But Chanyeol doesn’t need to know that.

I woke up with a little bit of a headache which I fixed with a hot shower. I’ve got a long day ahead of me, looking for accessories and getting errands done for EXO. Which reminds me that I have to meet up with Junmyeon oppa to get the money. He is the treasurer of the group after all. I have no idea where he gets his money but when your group gives you no headaches regarding money, hey, who’s to complain?

I just finished pulling my shirt over my head when my phone vibrated.

It was a text from Jongdae.

Good morning. (☆´3)

I raised an eyebrow and replied.

What’s gotten into you?

I went over to my bag to organize my things when my phone sounded again. I looked over to check what it said.

Baekhyun used my phone. Sorry.

It’s no problem.

As expected of Baekhyun, using Jongdae’s phone to send a good morning message like couples day. Wait...

How’d Jongdae get my number?

Maybe I gave it to him some time during the period of my managing, but I don’t have time to worry about that. I have to meet with Junmyeon oppa.

I arrived at the mall just in time and Junmyeon oppa was already waiting in front of a coffee shop.

“Hi, Hyeonnie!”

I was startled by his public use of the nickname he gave me and looked around to see if there was anyone there who knew us and could speculate wrongly about our relationship. Seeing there was no one around, I ran over to him and hit him in the shoulder lightly.

“Hm?”

“Please don’t call me that in public, oppa. Other people might get the wrong idea,” I said quietly.

“But you’re my Hyeonnie! I just got used to calling you that, too!” he said, patting my head. I took his hand off my head and put it back at his side. Sometimes, Junmyeon oppa acts just like a grandfather. No wonder the other members call him gramps.

“Yes, but please don’t shout it in public. Now, may I have the card?”

Junmyeon oppa laughed joyously. “Why are you being so formal with me? Am I too intimidating?”

I got flustered and started stammering. “No, well, it’s not that... I’m just not used to talking to you informally, Junmyeon oppa. I mean the other members...”

“The other members don’t even speak to me this formally. Perhaps we should get better acquainted, yes?”

“Well, I...”

Junmyeon oppa was a busy guy. He was heir to a company that his family owned and he was a straight-A student. I didn’t really want to bother him.

“Come on, I insist! I call you Hyeonnie and we’re not even close! Would this-“ he leaned in really, really close, “be close enough for me to call you that?” I moved my face as far away as I could from his without shifting from my position. “Th-this will be fine, thanks,” I said hurriedly. He laughed again and held my wrist, pulling me along with him.

“So, what’s the first thing we have to do?”

“Uum, we have to get earrings for Kris, Tao, Chen and Luhan.”

“Oh! I know a great jewelry store where my mother buys her jewelry all the time!”

Next thing I knew, we were standing in front of J.MO jewelry store, one of the most high-end jewelry stores in the country. I looked at Junmyeon oppa in disbelief.

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, why?”

“We’ll spend all of our money here and will have nothing left for anything else!”

“Nonsense! Leave it up to me,” he said, giving me a wink and walking in through the automatic doors of the store, stringing me along.

I went straight to the earrings section as soon as Junmyeon oppa let go of my wrist. He went off somewhere I don’t know and I haven’t seen him in thirty minutes.

Picking earrings for the members was really hard. First of all, they all had different styles. Tao liked shiny, eye-catching things. They compliment his extravagant style. Luhan oppa is more of a simple, laid-back fashionista who likes pop-art tees and jeans. Still, he likes to dress up sometimes but I usually see him wear black earrings. Jongdae is... I don’t really know what Jongdae likes. Jongdae likes to dress up simple but his earring choices are weird. Then there’s Kris oppa. Kris oppa uses just about anything. I swear I saw him wear a safety pin as an earring one time.

A few minutes later, I was finally able to pick earrings for the four. I got Tao a nice and shiny gold earring with an ornate design and a cubic zirconium at the center. I got Luhan oppa something simple—a silver stud with two tiny rhinestones in the middle. I got Jongdae one of those wrap-around earrings that are in right now. I think it would look good with his mic. And finally, I picked Kris oppa a gold one like Tao’s only less shiny and giving off a much more manly vibe. Then, as if on cue, Junmyeon oppa walked over to me and took my hand.

He slid on a beautiful silver ring with a... Is that a ing diamond?!

“J-Junmyeon oppa, what are you doing?” I said trying to pull the ring off my hand.

“Wait, don’t! Put it on, it looks great on you,” he said taking my hand and pushing the ring back onto my finger.

The saleslady looked over at us and said, “I hope your wedding is as successful as mine.”

She bowed and I panicked.

“N-no, we’re not together-“

“Yes, unfortunately, Hyeonnie hasn’t yet picked up on my advances,” Junmyeon oppa said, smiling at me.

My cheeks grew hot and I took my eyes off of Junmyeon oppa and back to the ring.

“I’d like to return this-“

“Do you like it?” Junmyeon oppa asked me, going up behind me and holding my hand to look at the ring.

“I... It’s too much,” I said.

“Do you like it?” Junmyeon oppa repeated, wanting me to answer the question.

I took a moment to think.

What was with these boys? First, Tao said something about choosing someone, then Jongdae with his wedding dress and forehead kiss, and now even Junmyeon oppa?! I swear if Kris oppa pulls a stunt like this I’m going to drive a bulldozer into all of their houses.

“What’s gotten into all of you?!” I ask spinning around to face Junmyeon oppa.

“All of us? I just want to get you a present, Hyeonnie,” he said, pouting.

I searched his face for any sign of ingenuity and when I could find none, I relented and sighed. “Fine. Thank you, Junmyeon oppa.”

The salesladies over by the corner were watching us and sighed happily. “Ah~ Young love,” they chorused and I wanted to hit them over the head with a frying pan.

Junmyeon oppa took out his black card and gave it to the cashier, purchasing the ring and the three earrings. Then, he suddenly took my hand in his and didn’t let go even as we exited the store. I didn’t comment. He was probably just used to being touchy like this.

“You would marry me, wouldn’t you?”

I stopped in my tracks, causing him to be pulled back because of our joined hands. He looked back at me expectantly, but with a soft smile.

“Junmyeon oppa...”

“I’m kind, generous and charitable, not to mention smart and rich, and I’m easy on the eyes. You would, wouldn’t you?”

“Junmyeon oppa, you know I like Luhan oppa.”

“But I’m better, aren’t I?”

“You may be better, but... There’s something else.”

“What is it, Hyeonnie?”

“You know you’re already engaged.”