Chapter four

Angelfall

~CHAPTER FOUR~

Untitled4-1.jpg

It was early in the morning and Jongin was on his way to work. The weather was chilly and fog so thick that it made Jongin anxious. He was driving in his car and the vision was far from being good.
Jongin was late today. His phone ran out of battery last night which ended up with his alarm clock not ringing and him being late. It could happen any day, but karma must’ve decided to strike today. He had an important appointment and many well-known doctors from all over the world were attending. Jongin cursed in his head.

There were two ways leading to the hospital and everyday, he would choose the longer one, which took more time, too. The other way was indeed shorter, but Jongin was avoiding it as much as possible. Avoiding one area, to be exact. The shorter way included a bridge, which was situated above a river. It was not high, but the thought of it made Jongin cringe. It was still open water, afterall.

Now he was deciding which way to choose. His averse towards water didn’t change the fact that maybe, maybe he could make it on time if he took it. The doctor imagined himself coming late to the appointment, all the stares and judging looks. Total disaster. Jongin bit on his bottom lip. He must bear the water this time.
Jongin inhaled deeply when he reached the bridge. As expected, the fog wasn’t absent. Don’t be such a sissy , it’s only water, Jongin tried to encourage himself, but it made him feel even worse. Just ride across this bridge and everything’s gonna be okay.

Luhan was entrusted with a mission on the Earth once again. He had gotten two different missions before, which made him go down among human beings, but he didn’t spot Sehun even once. Also he was too busy up there to watch over Sehun and see how he was doing. Luhan sighed and decided to go look after his bestfriend when he’s done. The Angel arrived to the place where he was supposed to be and waited. In no time, Luhan saw a black shiny BMW making it’s way across the bridge. A couple of seconds later another car, silver Renault, appeared and it was dashing right into the previous vehicle, fast. The fog was so thick and blinding, no wonder it was too late when both drivers noticed each other, Luhan thought.

Driver of the Renault stepped on the brake abruptly and pulled it through only with ligh scratches. Luhan could feel it. The other person in BMW seemed as if he had panicked and swerved sharply to the side, causing the car fall into the river.  The silver vehicle didn’t get damaged thanks to it. The unharmed driver came out of the car and immediately called ambulance (or at least Luhan though he called ambulance).

The Angel then focused on the other human, the driver of the dark BMW. He still did not come out and Luhan felt his terrible fear. It sent chills down his spine. He once again remembered the words his Lord said. Luhan decided to act.

Untitled3-2.jpg

Sehun felt his knees become weak. His hands were shaking, breath hitched. They just called from the hospital and Sehun’s number happened to be the last one Jongin dialled. Jongin was involved in an accident, which was caused by a different car that tried to get ahead of another. However Jongin was involved in an accident were the only words that echoed in Sehun’s head. He felt his whole insides tightening painfully, a feeling he’s never experienced before. It took him some time before he gathered all his five and stromed out of the apartment as if it was on fire.
He didn’t understand. Why must’ve it happened, out all of the people, to Jongin? When doctors told him he was not in a critical condition, he calmed down a little. What made him even more upset was the fact that Jongin fell into ing water. The thing which was Jongin scared to death of. His hands clenched into tight fists and Sehun fastened his pace.
The receptionist seemed shocked when Sehun appeared, clearly whacked by running. He asked for Jongin’s room number and because he seemed like the information was on the edge of life and death, she didn’t dare to question him at all. Fortunately, the hospital was where Sehun stayed and Jongin worked at, so it didn’t take much time to find the right door.   

Luhan was observing the patient from the air, making sure he was invisible to eyes of the others. He was waiting for a few hours already but he didn’t mind. Finally, when the human’s eyes opened slowly, Luhan smiled. He completed his mission successfully once again. He was about to go when suddenly, there was a loud sound of someone opening and closing the door. Luhan took a glance at the person. He gasped.

Jongin felt as if a streamroller ran over him, twice. He slowly opened his eyes and scanned the unknown room. It didn’t last long until he realized where he was. An anxiety him and a sequence of memories followed.
Jongin remembered rushing to work, a unpleasant weather outside. It happened fast. Another car coming out of the fog suddenly, sound of tires chafing against asphalt, sound of metal hitting surface of the water. And then, as if everything was in slow motion. Darkness swallowed him as he was sinking to the bottom, and Jongin turned seven again. Water everywhere his eyes could reach. Fear and panic. I will die here. Out of nowhere, a familiar radiance illuminated insides of the vehicle and just like many years ago, it led him to safety. But this time it was slightly different. In the blinding light, he saw a face. It was soothing and utterly beautiful, and the feeling was familiar as well. Before he had a chance to figure out where from, he was interrupted.    

Sehun stormed into the room like a tornado, not noticing the third person, and headed right towards Jongin lying in bed. He felt a bit relieved when he saw the latter was awake already. On the halfway Jongin offered him a smile, but Sehun ignored it with a blank face that Jongin couldn’t define, and then happened something Luhan, Jongin and even Sehun didn’t expect. He embraced Jongin tightly, pressing their bodies against each other almost as if Jongin was everything he had left. Sehun rested his chin on the latter’s shoulder, his eyes closed. „I’m sorry, I’m sorry…“

Sehun always wore that pokerface of his, insulted Jongin to no end and didn’t say sorry when he was wrong, not even when his attempt to do the laundry caused coloring all Jongin’s shirts to pink. And there he was, the same Sehun hugging him and apologizing for something that wasn’t even his fault. Jongin was puzzled, but all his trauma was slowly fading away.

„It-It’s okay, Sehun-ah…“

The pale boy pulled away and gazed at Jongin, checking up on him. His face was slightly bruised and Sehun had an urge to caress each and every scratch on the soft skin. „Okay?! Do you know how worried I was?! You can’t do that to me!“ He blurted out almost angrily.

Jongin chuckled. „Aw, were you worried?“

The latter stunned, just now realizing what did he actually say. It was embarrassing. Light pink flashed across Sehun’s cheeks and ears and suddenly, it was so hot. He stuttered. „O-Of course, where would I live then…“ The latter ruffled Sehun’s hair with a knowing smile. What Sehun said wasn’t true, he was genuinely worried and Jongin knew

Luhan was still there, watching the two of them carefully. He almost shouted Sehun’s name but quickly realized it wasn’t the best idea, and stayed rather quiet through the whole time. Sehun didn’t seem to know he was there, but that wasn’t the thing that ate Luhan from the inside. He could not only feel Sehun’s worry, he could also see it in the way Sehun looked at the brunet. And for the first time, Luhan experienced jealousy.

He was back in the Heaven now, still contemplaiting about Sehun and the human being he just saved. They knew each other and seemed pretty close, Luhan admitted bitterly. The way Sehun looked at him.

Luhan realized two things that day.

Sehun is not his.

And he never was.