Promise me something?

Finally

When Kyuhyun reached the hospital he had worked his way into a bundle of nerves again, Zhou Mi’s soothing did little to calm him down once he reached the counter. He couldn’t even speak to ask for the room number, Zhou Mi had to do it for him. But once they got to Ryeowook’s room millions of things started pooling in his mind that he wanted to say. Putting them into a logical sentence was going to be the issue. They knocked lightly, not wanting to wake him. Although it was only a few seconds, Kyuhyun thought it felt like hours waiting for anyone to open the door. He jumped as footsteps approached the other side of the door. It opened slowly, a dark haired man leaning out hesitantly, however when he saw Kyuhyun he relaxed a little. He motioned for the men to step inside, holding his finger to his lips. Kyuhyun started to walk inside but Zhou Mi caught his arm.

“I’ll leave you to it, let me know how he is, ok?”

“Sure thing. Thankyou Zhou Mi,” The Chinese man squeezed Kyuhyun’s hand and walked back down the hall, leaving Kyuhyun to pull himself together. He followed the man into the hospital room, steeling himself for what he might find. However he wasn’t as shocked as he thought he might be. Ryeowook looked peaceful when he slept. Apart from being a little pale the bandaged arm was the only thing that was out of place. He didn’t at all look like someone who had wanted to die not three hours earlier.

“You must be Kyuhyun, the amount Wookie talks about you I could spot you anywhere,” Kyuhyun balked at the older man, who was now settled into the grey plastic chair placed next to Ryeowook’s bed.

“He talks about me?”

“Of course. He says you’re his best friend at that school.” Tears started to well in Kyuhyun’s eyes as listened to everything Ryeowook said about him. According to Ryeowook, Kyuhyun was the perfect friend. But in truth he felt like the complete opposite.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you,” Kyuhyun hadn’t even realised but tears had started to streak his face. He hastily wiped them away. “I’ve just never seen my brother so happy talking about someone.”

“Oh, you’re Yesung?” Ryeowook’s older brother started to laugh and Kyuhyun realised he hadn’t used the man’s real name.

“So he told you about that? He must really trust you. I don’t think he’s ever mentioned that we sing together to any of his other friends.”

“You sing together? He told me he couldn’t sing,” Yesung starts to laugh again, smiling at his little brother.

“Of course he did. He’s actually a really good singer, but no one other than me ever hears him because he’s too shy.” Now the shy part wasn’t news to Kyuhyun, but everything else was. Ryeowook considered him a great friend but he knew barely anything about the shy man.

“What about your parents?” Kyuhyun saw the surprise on Yesungs face, obviously the subject of parents was something that a best friend should know about. Yesung shook his head and looked back at his baby brother.

“It’s just us. Our mum died when we were young and our father left when Ryeowook was 12. I dropped out of school to take care of him and by the time the authorities found out we were alone I was 18 and could be his legal guardian. He means the world to me.” Kyuhyun heard Yesung start to choke up as wet tears began to stain his cheeks. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt a strong urge to hug the man in front of him. God knows he’s had enough people hugging him today. Yesung seemed surprised but he accepted Kyuhyun’s hug anyway. They sat in silence for several minutes before Yesung spoke.

“Kyuhyun-ah?”

“Mm.”

“Everything that Ryeowook said about you…He’s never said that to you has he?” Yesung had turned to face Kyuhyun, whose face answered for him. “I thought so. Well thank you for being here Kyuhyun. He’ll definitely appreciate it.”

“Are…Are you sure hyung? I mean I don’t want to be here if he doesn’t want me to.”

“No he does. He woke up before and was talking to me. He was still going on about how much of a good friend you’ve been to him lately.” Kyuhyun paused, thinking over what Yesung said. The puzzle started to fall together.

“It’s because of me isn’t it?” He looked straight into Yesungs eyes, but he regretted it. The older man’s eyes told him everything he needed to know. It was his relationship with Eunhyuk that destroyed Ryeowook, and saying he was falling in love with Eunhyuk pushed him over the edge. He felt so stupid! All the signs were there but he was too ignorant to see them! His head fell into his hands and his eyes flooded with sorrow, grief, regret, but mainly guilt. Ryeowook and Yesung had been through so much together and he tore that away from them with his stupidity and selfishness. If he hadn’t been so devoted to making Zhou Mi and Donghae jealous he would have realised there was someone beside him the entire time that deserved so much more attention than he got. Someone who actually loved him, and who he loved back. But that was possibly too late now. He wouldn’t blame Ryeowook for turning him away and refusing to ever speak to him again. In fact that would make things easier. But the problem is Ryeowook would never do that. He would never blame Kyuhyun, ever. He’d shoulder everything himself. Like he has done for the past 6 years. Kyuhyun was about to get up and walk out taking himself out of the equation to make everything easier on everybody. Well except him but he deserved a little inconvenience. But before he could move Ryeowook stirred in the bed, blinking and rubbing his eyes. Kyuhyun thought he looked so innocent. He truly hated himself for destroying that.

“I’ll leave you two alone for a bit,” Yesung squeezed Kyuhyuns shoulder and smiled at him, before leaving the room. Kyuhyun looked back to the bed, where Ryeowook was looking at him with the saddest look in his eyes Kyuhyun has ever seen. The small man was about to speak but Kyuhyun cut him off with a rib crushing hug, knocking the wind out of Ryeowook.

“You’re here.” The older man breathed. Kyuhyun just sighed and pulled Ryeowook closer.

“I’m here.” Ryeowook loosened his grip on Kyuhyun, but took his hand and pulled him down to sit next to him on the bed.

“Did you and Yesung-hyung have a good talk?” Kyuhyun glanced out the window to where Yesung was sitting, keeping an eye on his brother.

“We did actually.” He looked back and Ryeowook, who looked slightly worried at this point. “He told me everything. Why didn’t you talk to me?” Ryeowook ducked his head into his chest and started fiddling with his fingers until Kyuhyun took them in his own hands.

“Because…well you were with Eunhyuk hyung so…I didn’t want to say anything cause…” Ryeowook trailed off but Kyuhyun got the message. He reached one long finger under Ryeowook’s chin and pulled his eyes up to meet his own.

“Pabo.  Eunhyuk’s a great friend but I swear the guy does nothing but talk. I don’t know how Donghae hyung put up with him.” Ryeowook laughed that precious melody that Kyuhyun thought sounded like angel wings.

“I thought you loved him.”

“I do. Just like I love Donghae and Sungmin.” Kyuhyun once again caught Ryeowooks eye and leant in close until their noses almost touched. “But he’s not you.” Ryeowook smiled and cried and laughed all at once, but even so he looked at Kyuhyun with the most love in his eyes anyone has ever seen. He brushed Kyuhyun hair behind his ear and rested his hand on the back of his neck. Still laughing gently through his tears he pulled Kyuhyun close and their lips connected with a shower of fireworks. He felt Kyuhyuns hand gently caress the side of his face and he never wanted this moment to end. They broke apart but their faces remained so close they could feel the heat radiating off each other’s cheeks. Kyuhyun wiped the tears off Ryeowooks face with his thumb, and slowly trailed it along Ryeowooks bottom lip.

“I love you Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyuns lips replaced his thumb with the gentlest and sweetest of kisses. He pulled back and ran his fingers through Ryeowooks soft brown hair.

“I love you Ryeowook.” Ryeowook pulled Kyuhyun up next to him and rested his head on the taller man’s shoulder, his fingers tracing circles along Kyuhyuns exposed collarbones.

“You’re too thin. I should cook for you soon.”

“You can cook and sing? Why didn’t I fall in love with you sooner?” Ryeowook laughed, Kyuhyun could listen to it forever and never get tired of it. And he fully intended to spend the rest of his life making sure he heard that beautiful melody as much as he could.

“I know that you can sing too. You should sing with me and Yesung. We can call it KRY! You know. Kyuhyun Ryeowook and Yesung.” Kyuhyun chuckled at Ryeowook uncontained excitement.

“Hey now no more crying ok?” Ryeowook looked up at him with his brown orbs and smiled.

“Ok. I promise.”

“Good. Promise me one more thing?”

“Of course.”

“Never scare me like that ever again. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.” Kyuhyun spoke seriously and instinctively wound his arms tighter around Ryeowooks waist. Ryeowook leaned his head into Kyuhyuns chest, interlocking their fingers tightly.

“That’s true, you can’t cook.” Kyuhyun chuckled at the smaller man’s cuteness and pressed his lips to Ryeowooks forehead.

“That’s true, I can’t.” Just then a doctor walked in with Yesung, who couldn’t control his smiling at seeing his younger brother so happy.

“Good news mister Kim. You’re cleared to go home. I’ve given your brother my number in case you ever need to call me. I also have information on the counselling we offer. But by the looks of it you won’t need it.” Ryeowook bowed his head to the doctor and looked up at Kyuhyun smiling.

“No I don’t think I will.”