Chap 6

Stupid llama

CHAP 6

“Key, we need to talk, right now..”

Suddenly appearing in SHINee’s practice room is Henry with messy hair all over the place and eyes losing the usual delightful light.

“Hyung...what’s the matter at such an early hour of morning?” Compliantly, Key follows the Canadian to an empty room with an alert bell ringing in his head.

“Did you go out with Amber recently? At late hours, private lounge and stuff?”

“If it’s true, then what? Isn't this how things are usually going? And mind  you, don't you dare use that papa tone on Amber. She’s not under your control.” Much as a nice kid Key is, Henry’s accusing stare is enough to annoy the hell out of him, not to mention he’s always as straightforward as a ruler.

Blinking, the fact that Amber has never been in the possession of Henry slowly whirls into his mind.

“I'm not saying this as a father or any type of controller. If you wanna hang out, just choose somewhere publicly well-known in celebrities. You have nothing to hide, don't you? Why choose such a scandalous place like private rooms, at night, you and her all alone? What the hell do you do in there?”

“I don't know...something like dating?” Key emphasizes the word “dating” purposedly, trying to hide a smirk while observing Henry’s ears go redder and redder. The older’s ranting is enough for the catty boy to catch a glimpse of unconscious jealousy, and he knows he needs some spice of teases in this boring morning.

But never does Kim Kibum expect to be shoved unto a wall, violently. Clutching his collar, Henry gritted through his teeth:

“You can date her as much as you want, but keep it low. Amber’s continuous try in 7 years isn't for you to break off with those careless nightdates. If Jin can figure out your nights spent together, everyone can do so. Are you to keep courting her without thinking about her image, then stay away from Amber.

To Henry’s suprise, the SHINee member breaks into laughters, slightly squeezes his shoulder with a this-kid-is-overthinking-again manner:

“Figure out’ isn't a right word, buddy. Jin knew JUST BECAUSE it was ME that invited her to go with us. If you are THAT JEALOUS that Amber can possibly date someone else, why don't you make her date you and you only?

And you really think i don't know how this celebrity world functions?”

Still with ringing laughters, Key leaves, Henry’s protest echoes weakly to his ears:

“It’s SO NOT jealousy! That’s brother care, okay?”

= = =

Amber is pacing back and forth furiously in her practice room. She cannot believe what she’s just seen with her eyes: Henry really yelled at Key and told her to stay away from her? “Stay away” her ! Key has been such a safe shelter for her to lean on all the times Henry was abroad enjoying his pleasures but now he’s back and shuts all the boys out from her, even with a friend like Key?

Thanks fate that she came by right at the threat to confirm Jin’s information. But blame fate that she cant storm into the room to beat Henry up (for being foolish) instead of running away.

If it were the old days, some yells and buddy punches at Henry would solve her annoyance. But with their strange distance these days, she is afraid.

Afraid that once she does those unfriendly things, he will go mad.

Afraid that he won't go easy on her anymore. He will shut her out.

And their fragile string of their friendship will be officially incurably broken.

 

 

Out of nowhere, Jin rushes to Amber. Her face is strangely eager to inform Amber such a sorrow-worthy news:

“Did you see Henry and Key? I bet they’ve just had a big fight.”

The blonde girl beckons the other to be silent. Hearing a friend being interrogated by another close friend is never a pleasing feeling to endure.

“You must feel bad, huh?” Amber hears Jin’s compassionate voice echoing. “I’ll arrange a basketball match with the SHINee boys this afternoon to save your mood. Deal?”

 

= = =

 

Amber is literally exhausting herself on the basketball court. Throughout the match, she runs, dodges, jumps, and throws the ball nonstop. Her team of her, Taemin and Onew is on a tie with Jins’s team including Jin, Jonghyun and Minho (Key said it’s too sweaty for his skin and Amber stucked her tongue out at him). Though they are used to her overflowing energy in sports, the 4 boys don't fail to notice one strange thing: Amber seems so detemined to win Jin over. Clashes are always avoided, knowing her weak ankles. But the LA girl doesn't look to care about it anymore. Nevertheless, the collision is hardly more severe than shoulder-bumping. That’s until a painful shriek resounds and Jin collapses to the ground, followed by Amber’s fall just a mini-second later.

Contrasting to the other girl’s loud scream, Amber let out a small groan, feeling the awful pain from her ankle piercing through her lower body.

But what just happened???

In Amber’s memory, she was doing nothing other than trying to get the ball from Jin’s hands. But then she felt an ankle hook with hers and flipped her over. Next second, she was on the floor with a hectic ache and a sprained ankle.

Is it Jin’s intention?

Amber shifts her shocked gaze to Jin, who is surrounded by 4 boys. Yes, all 4 boys on the court are trying to help Jin the frailer girl, while Key’s just reached her after rushing down from the bleachers.

“You okay?”

The shock makes her ears too blurry to answer Key’s worrying question. Isn't she the victim? Isn't she the one SHINee know longer? Why is everyone on the trickster’s side?

As if things aren't bad enough, Minho angrily points the accusing frown at her:

“Amber, much as you long to win, how can you trick her like that? She’s smaller than you and you’ve just nearly disordered her joint. Not cool, dude!”

 

That’s it!

 

Tears are gathering on Amber’s almond eyes as she barely stands up, tries to walk away from this deceitful atmosphere as soon as possible. With hobbled steps, her figure is disappearing into the hustle crowd at Hangang bank.

 

“Where are you? Come to Hangang right now. She needs you.”

 

= = =

 

Amber doesn't know how long she has been hobbling amongst happy couples and noisy kids. People laugh but her heart cries. It’s been a long time since she last felt eaten up in loneliness like this.

No one believes her.

Henry neglects her for something she doesn't know.

SHINee accuses her of something she didn't do.

Are their years of friendship not enough for them to understand her? Is she the one who does anything to win? Is she the one who never treasures friends? Is she the one who s around like a mindless thirsty girl? 

The girl sits on the fresh wet grass, head on her knees and sobbing hard.

 

 

Soon enough, there's someone's arm patting her shoulder hesitantly yet soothingingly. This familiar scent and cool skin...only by now does she realize how much she misses it...Henry, the stupid Snoopy that ignores her for nearly 4 months! Why does he have to appear when she’s vulnerable like this?

Without looking at him, just feeling his presence next to her is all she needs to feel the peace.

As the sobs die down in , the irritant gradually resurfaces when she remembers his talk with Key this morning.

“Why are you here?” Her voice sounds more icy-cold than she imagines.

“I have my Amber alarm. Right here.” The boy grins pointing at his heart, and the girl cant help but flutter her eyelashes to stop an inner squeal over his cuteness.

“Stop the nonsense. Why don't you, just like you told other boys, stay away from me for ’s sake?”

The LA girl ponderously stands up, completely ignores the worrying lights in the other’s small eyes.

“Who told you that? I never...”

“DON'T YOU DARE LIE TO ME YOU LITTLE PIECE OF... I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES! JUST THIS MORNING!” Amber doesn't stop her heavy steps.

“No no no no no no this is such a misunderstanding. We need to talk...CAN YOU PLEASE STOP WALKING FOR THE GOD’S SAKE? GIVE THE POOR ANKLE SOME REST!”

Pretending not to hear his words, the girl struggles to break free from Henry’s grasps, and that’s when the older decides to pull her arms over his shoulders and steady her on his back.

And to his astonishment, after some protests, his close friend accepts to stay on his back, as obedient as a cutie cat.

On his way back to his apartment to treat her wound, Henry gently rebuked Amber:

“Why did you try so hard? Not winning is okay, isn't it?”

After a while is her reply:

“I just wanna prove that she’s wrong about something...so that i can believe she’s wrong about...you.”

 

= = =

 

[Los Angeles, at Liu’s house]

“Honey, you know what, my close friend just divorced with her husband.” Ms.Liu casually informs Mr.Liu during breakfast.

“Oh...why? i thought their marriage had last quite long?” He replies, not really paying much attention.

“Yeah...one day she suddenly found out that her husband had a secret savings-note. That note is used for no purpose other than sending money to a woman, who is his paramour.”

The woman’s sharp eyes don't  miss any vague change in her husband’s expression, and she did notice a swift paleness when she mentioned the secret savings-note.

At the discovery of that note, she has reviewed all his customers as well as creditors. No one is Kwon. There leaves only one possibility which she fears the most. And she’s doing her best to find an evidence to prove her wrong.

But fate likes to tease and torture people’s feeling.

When she wants something to prove her wrong, a new thing comes up to strengthen the scary possibility.

She found out a photo which captured Mr.Liu with a woman and a girl, all smiling, posing as happy as a family.