Chap 5

Stupid llama

Amber doesnt even know why she accepted Jin’s invitation to join her and Henry’s lunch. Maybe because she’s grown compliant to her manager in a friendly way, maybe because it’s simply time for lunch, or maybe just...because she misses that dude a little bit too much to stay in check, and she doesnt want him to nag at her for skipping meals like he always did in the old times.

Still missed him even though he had another girl to kiss right in front of SM building.

Amber’s heart twists in pain remembering about that spectacular scene and all of sudden, her eyes gets stingingly hot. Seem like the hot vapours of kimchi soup spices her eyes and leaves some salty water there.

Trying to suppress a heavy shaken sigh, Amber seems so strangely interested in her soup that she spares no glance for the other two. But that doesnt mean she didnt take into her mind how slightly thinner Snoopy became. His eyebags have never been more obvious and the scruched up smile cant hide a worn-out mentality.

“Worry about that girl much, huh?”

An inevitable explaination wastes no time to pop up and spin in her head, which brings a bitter smirk to her face. Of course he did. He even found no time to call his closest female friend, remember llama?

Amber might not miss out the change in Henry, but she did miss out the continual worrying glances from him to her and she nearly missed out Jin’s question, too.

“So Amber, how’s your afternoon with James? That hot dude seems soooooooo cool!”

A little fangirling sqeak of the manager rings through the LA girl’s ears and successfully brings her back to reality. She can swear to Henry (well, if he cares) she’s never been more confused.

“James?”

Unfortunate for her, the moment her eyes collide Henry’s is when she realizes Jin has taken up her place and sat opposite to him, pushed Amber to sit beside her. The bitter again strikes up, but that can be temporarily passed,, because...what the hell is Jin implying between Amber and James, in Henry’s presence?

“Whatcha talking about?” Amber feels dry up.

“Dont you dare use the innocence card with me gurl”, Jin naughtily wiggles her eyesbrows, “Use it to someone who didnt see him waiting for you after practice for the whole 3 months. Hey Henry you must kno... oh, that’s exactly the time when you went abroad, right?”

Henry is white, yeah Amber always knows that, but most of the time he’s like a white chubbly fluffy snoopy, and never does he look like a scary vampire who wanna people’s blood like this. Nevertheless, the damn Jin hardly seems to stop her motherfather obliviousness.

“I even see you guys hug and smile happily near Hangang river yesterday evening! Last afternoon must be sweet huh?”

This time the blonde girl jolts. How can things be distorted in such a right way? Jin didnt say anything wrong! She and James did hug, but that’s...that’s not that type of hug!!! She and her male friends always hug like that, dont they?

It’s not like Henry’s supposed to need an explaination, but panicly, Amber eyes the Canadian, clears up , so ready to clarify things...just to find his frozen expression switches on a smile at Jin.

“Hey Jinnie” (Amber clinges at how sugar-coated his voice sounds) “How about we have our own date and leave the two lovebirds alone? Hangang river this afternoon, how does that sound?”

Hell yeah of course Jin agrees, while the wave of disappointment hit Amber like Paccqiao’s bunch and deflat all her remaining joy when seeing her best friend again. Sluggishly and emotionlessly, she leaves the two, not after the frozen words:

“Nice date you two. Seem like James needs me more than you do.”

 

= = =

 

So the pattern goes on, with Henry finding Jin whenever he needs a female friend and Amber sticking with James’s gang the whole time.

Things were never like this before, werent they?

Amber tries to forage in her memory of their over-7-year relationship friendship. It’s not like they have never had any argument, or Henry has never dated (numerous) girls and Amber has never secretly pissed off over that then mocked him about any nonsense thing possible. “Off” times happen often, but they always end up by some hesitant knocks on Amber’s door and then appears a grinning Snoopy with a huge pack of popcorn. And after a few seconds of huffing, the Stitch finally gives in and just days later she finds herself calling Henry and his gang whenever her mind has some rest and craves for fresh air.

That’s when Amber realizes their “off” being is because Henry’s always the first one to fix things up while she proudly keeps up her stubborn pride.

No matter how obstinate Amber is, she will never be the one to condesend this time. It’s Henry who acted like an for the last 3 months! What type of guy confessed to a girl and hooked up with lots of Chinese chicks just days later? What type of friend to threaten all other male friends to stay away from a girl just because she rejected him? She didnt even reject him for God’s sake! She did say she like him, didnt she? She was just...startled, and that hamster had to be such a coward drama queen to leave all the mess he created behind, drowned himself in foreign delight. Would she ever realize the infinite limit of Henry’s selfishness without Jin’s information?

All of sudden, Amber feels someone nudge her left side. Turning to the left, the girl is again startled by a flock of soft hair leaning on her right shoulder.

“Ambaa, are you not thinking of Jaamies?”

A childish whining yet manly deep voice rings through Amber’s ears, sending the girl straight to the park’s floor due to excessive laughters.

“WHAT THE PIG WITH THAT ENGLISH-ACCENT WHINES LEE JOOHYUN? THAT’S ONE HELL OF MURDERING AEGYO ARE YOU PLEASE AWARE OF THAT?”

Seldom in their dates hangouts does James see Amber laughing that much. She usually hits and glares at him whenever he cracks a lame joke rather than laughing hard at literally all of his jokes like today. At first, it brings him to cloud nine to think he’s finally touching her heart, but soon enough, he knows.

Something is wrong.

So on their way to Amber’s apartment, the hot dude casually hangs his arm on the petite girl’s shoulder. If it’s just another normal day, Amber will never have the second thought about that gesture. But after what Jin told Henry, she cant help so jolt a bit at the unexpected skinship. Is James always that tall and muscle?

“Amber, do you wanna have some confiding time?”

“No.”

“Okay maybe llama the majesty doesn't like my words. So in other words, would you like to tell me your matter, your highness?”

“NO.” Again Amber replies with a cheeky smile, which turns into a squeak in no time, because James’s hand is on her waist (since when she doesn't know) and lifting her up with just one hand. After a blink, he’s having 56 kg of her body on his two arms. Worse still, no matter what she does, kick or punch, his mellow laughs never seem to stop nor does he want to stop. But the worst thing is that Amber slowly loses her strength and begins to feel sleepy in the safe warm nest of his firm arms.

“Amber, what’s been bugging your mind?”

“...nothing serious. Can I sleep?”

Replying her is James’s soft humming. And before clouds fill her mind, she hears some part of her mind wondering, if she’s ever tasted this safe feeling in Henry’s arms?

 

= = =

 

On the other part of Seoul, there are two Canadians playing their hearts out on a tennis court. It’s been such a long time since Henry last had a proper tennis match. Amber knows how to play tennis, but this sport fails to get her priority (Amber threatens to strangle him if he dares to say she’s bad at it which she obviously is). Seeing Jin’s elegant yet sharp movements, Henry is drawn back into the nolstagia of their first encounter. It’s that same light and flowing figure on a Canadian tennis court that took his heart 13 years ago, and it officially collapsed to see those sparkling eyesmiles.

Reminded of the fresh young love, the Canadian guy is suprised at the ease deep down in his heart. He doesn't know he would be that comfortable to together lay down in exhaustion and share laughters with the girl that shattered his heart. Neither does he think he can have her so near, calmly watch her talking about all their old friends  back in Canada, eyes are still as soulful as ever.

Her small giggles inserted in talks about the old friends bring him the peaceful atmosphere of his home with mom and dad, with Clinton and Whitney, with the young he and she squealing and chasing around on the green meadow of his villa, with the old gangs of friends shirking school just to practice some dance tricks. His lips tuck up without him knowing, until Jin’s neverending stories direct to Amber.

“Amber is such a lucky piece of llama. Other than James, she always has a bunch of guys to follow her wherever she wants. As per logics, to have them giving her everything, she must have given them something, right? I wonder what it is, because I myself witness she get into private lounge, each time with another guy...”

“Don't misunderstand. Celebrities always hang out in private rooms to avoid paparazzis. How can you be a manager without knowing such basic knowledge?”

Henry is taken aback to hear his voice coming through gritted teeth and sound unexpectedly harsh. Feeling pain in the hands, he looks down to realize his fists are clutching so hard that his nails left long bleeding marks on his skin.

 

= = =

 

[Los Angeles, Liu’s house]

Mama Liu is exceptionally happy today. The 30th anniversary of their wedding is coming near, and Jackie, from her travel in London, just acidentally revealed to her that papa Liu’s gonna do something breath-taking and beyond imagination for them. A romantic dinner on a cruiser at LA beach with firework? Or even better, a travel around the world? The lady’s breath hikes up at the thought. Just thinking about that gives her enough chill! To perfect everything, their home sweet home must be the first to be perfect. Pick up the broom with the feet dancing in their own rythm, mama Liu is so determined to get rid of all dirty dirt from the Liu mansion.

Just when she cleans the furthest, the most hidden corner of their house, she sweeps out a tiny notebook.

No, a savings-book?

To her immense shock, a big amount of money was monthly sent by Mr.Liu to a certain address for the past 10 years. Not even one month was missed. Only till last year did he stop. And as far as Mrs.Liu remembered, until 5 years ago, they were pretty much just getting by with hardly money to save.

Why did he spare money to send away?

And who is this Ms.Kwon to receive his money year by year?

 

Author's note:

HEY I'M BAAAAAAACCCKKKK~

Sorry for over 1 year of disappearing (don't kill me!) From now I will try to finish this story as soon as possible ^_^

I changed some details of the story. Check back if you are somehow confused, okay?

So new drama is coming~

Your comments are my inspiration to update faster and write better! So please do! Thank you and love you ~<3