Hoe (The First Step to Recovery)

All Play, No Work
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

06 - Hoe (The First Step to Recovery)

You know those times where something really weird happens right before your about to do something and you're 100% sure it's a sign from the Gods not to do it?

Yeah, well this is one of those times.

Here I am, straddling Kyung's lap about to make my way in for the kill, when a vibration sends us both jolting away from each other. That had to be a sign, right? Whatever it is, I try not to make it too awkward that I'm assuming something weird, but who would I be if I didn't make a hilarious joke? Definitely not Ahn Dahee, I'll tell you that.

So I look at Kyung then my eyes trail down to his pants at the alleged source of the vibration. "Are you that happy to see me? Gee, I'm flattered."

He coughs then points to my pants. "I actually think you're the one in question."

I hop off of his lap, leaving him sad that I didn't send the call to voicemail for him, then fish my phone out of my skirt pocket. As if this whole situation isn't bizarre enough, the caller ID is the frosting on the cake. I look over my shoulder to look at Kyung, and he's already busying himself with a set of Newton balls he yanked out of one of the storage boxes.

I look back at my phone and finally decide on answering. Before I can place my phone to my ear, I can already hear my sister screaming from the other line. "Sohee?"

"Ahn Dahee!" she shrieks, making me distance the phone a few inches away before I bust an eardrum. "Where the hell have you been?! Mom told me you, like, totally ran away! You can't just leave me all alone with those psychos! Oh my God, it's as if our twin bond is like nothing to you! Ugh!"

I sigh then lean against the desk, arms crossed over my chest. Of course, she'd care about herself first. Figures. "It's not running away if I'm an adult, Sohee. I just moved out. Took you long enough, anyway. Where were you these past few days? Milan? India? Russia?"

She growls on the other end and I make a face. Clearly, I'm the normal twin; I don't care what anyone else says. "Look, that's not the point. The point is, you totally abandoned us all and Dad's not gonna rest until he finds you! I don't know if you remember, but you kind of have something major important to attend in a few months!"

"I know, I know," I tell her in hopes of soothing her rage at least a little. I check on Kyung again and he seems to be in lala land, moving on to some dry erase board crammed into one of the shelves. Whatever keeps him busy, I guess.

"I'm not coming back," I continue, sighing, "ever."

Then I hang up before Sohee can fit anything into the call.

I squeeze my phone back into my pocket and straighten out my clothes. Kyung decides to finally look up. "Woah, where are you going?"

"Back to work," I tell him, completely forgetting about whatever reason we were in here in the first place. "You should probably do the same."

"What happened to five mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter