My Own Pinocchio

Thinking of You : One Shot Requests

Written For: B2utifulstarlite
Partner: Pinocchio's Ki Jae Myung
Inspirational Song: Melt My Heart by Eric Nam
Enjoyyyy <3


I twirled my curls around my index finger. I had did my hair in a rush this morning because I had overslept. The most important thing was that I got to work on time.

"Yong Maeri?" The director called my name after she came out from her office. "Here!" I stood up. But I forgot that my phone was in my lap and it slid to the carpeted floor and did a tumble before landing near the director's feet. My eyes widened. This was not a good first day of work impression.
 
The director gave a soft laugh and picked up my phone for me. "Come into my office. We're going to discuss your first case." and I followed obediently. 
 
"His name is Ki Jae Myung." She turned the open file to me on the desk. "Oh. It's him." I blinked. "Yeah, you might have seen the news on him years ago. When the female chairman of Bum Jo Department Stores was arrested. Ki Jae Myung is being let out early because of good behavior. He will still be on parole though." She said.
 
I nodded taking notes. "I know it's not really fair to have you work on a tough case like this. But, we are short staffed. Social workers are hard to come by. And from your resume and portfolio, I believe you are talented enough to handle this." She gave me a warm smile. "Unless you don't want to."
 
"I do. I was really interested in this case when I first saw it. And I think that I can work with him to get him back to living a normal life." I said taking the file. 
 
"And as for your complication…" She started. "It's not going to be a problem. I promise." I said earnestly. "Okay. Here are the rest of the documents you will need. You will have access to all the departments to get what you need for him." she said and I nodded in understanding. 
 
"He's being released today. So I was hoping you could go meet him. He should still be at the prison. And this is his home address." I took the paper and stood up to give the director a bow. "Good Luck." She shook my hand and I left the office. Juggling the things, I put them all into my bag before going to get my car. 
 
I arrived at the prison in half an hour. I handed the necessary documents to the desk clerk. "You can go inside to speak to him now." He ushered and I went into the communication room. I went inside to sit down and within the next minute, Ki Jae Myung walked out. He sat down across from me. "Hi." I smiled.
 
"Who are you?" He asked. "My name is Maeri. And I'm going to be working with you for the next few months." I explained. "A social worker?" He asked suspiciously. "Y-yes." I said feeling it get hard to meet his intense eyes. 
 
"I appreciate it but I don't th-."
"I just want to help you. I know you might not want it. And you might not even need it. But, I just want to help you. I don't care what you did. Now you are free and everyone needs a little assistance sometimes." I said in a rush and felt a blush crawl up my cheeks for being so aggressive.
 
He blinked in surprise. Then his expression softened slightly. "Alright. My name is Ki Jae Myung. But, you probably already know that." he said. "I do. But I want to know what is your favorite color. Or even what is your favorite food. I'm a good cook, even if I do say so myself." I smiled warmly.
 
He gave a small chuckle. "You seem a little nervous." he said. "I'm not." was my automatic reply and I instantly regretted it because I hiccuped. I covered my mouth in surprised and stared at him wide eyed. "You're nervous because I'm a killer right? You're a pinocchio." his expression saddened.
 
"No!" I said. "I'm just nervous because…it's my first job since graduating. And I'm worried that you'll hate me. That I'll be useless." I said and hung my head slightly.
"You didn't hiccup this time." he said, the small smile coming back to his face. I never knew it would be so gratifying to see a smile on his face. It was warm. 
 
No he didn't look like a killer. And although the reasons that he killed for didn't excuse the crime. Part of me understood.
 
"I think your brother is coming soon to pick you up. I will come to your home tomorrow." I said gathering my things. "I don't hate you. See you tomorrow, Maeri." he smiled for real this time and I blushed. I had to chide myself to be professional. I gave him a quick bow and left.
 
Over the next few weeks, I would meet with Jae Myung at least four times a week. I was helping him look for jobs, but I also ended up doing so much more. I went shopping with him to get new clothes. We had dinner a few times. I met his brother, Ki Ha Myung and his wife Choi In Ha. They had moved to a bigger house after they had gotten married I learned, but they would constantly visit Jae Myung too.
 
I also learned that I lived really close to Jae Myung. But I didn't tell him. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. 
 
I learned the things that would make him laugh. I learned the things that would make him smile. I learned that he had accepted that he had did wrong, and although he was sad a lot, he had started to forgive himself. He had already forgiven many people.
 
"I got you bingsoo!" I giggled when he opened the door for me. He broke out into a smile. "You're going to make me fat from all the sweets you bring me." he said as he pulled the table into the middle of the room and I set down the dessert. "Don't worry. I'll get fat too." and then I hiccuped. "Sorry. I go to the gym often." I apologized and he chuckled. "You don't have to say you are sorry." and we opened up the icy dessert. I took a bite. "Yum." 
 
"Did you really buy this for me, or yourself? You enjoy it so much more." he teased and I blushed. "You." I put down the spoon and pulled out the files from my bag.
 
"I wanted to give you good news today." I said happily. He chewed thoughtfully on a bite of bingsoo and raised an brow. I never told him that I found that move attractive when he did it.
 
"What is it?"
"I found you a job. It's a water delivering job with your old company. I thought you would be comfortable doing that. And I also wanted to tell you that I'll be leaving your case soon. So double the happy news." I said smiling. But he wasn't. "Something wrong Jae Myung?" I asked. "So you won't be coming by often anymore?" he asked.
 
"Well that means I wouldn't be bothering you anymore." I said. I had been slightly upset when the director told me that Jae Myung would be ready soon to stand on his own. That I wouldn't be needed anymore. But, had steeled myself so he could be happy. His reaction was upsetting me.
 
"But, you don't bother me." he said quietly. "I'll be out of your hair." I said.
"Are you sad that we won't be seeing each other anymore?" he asked.
I stared at him. This didn't make any sense to me. Why would he ask me this kind of question?
 
"I have to go." I stood up. I grabbed my bag and headed for the door, but he got up to and grabbed my wrist. "You didn't answer me, Maeri." he said. His grip wasn't harsh, it was warm. And that frightened me. 
 
"I really have to go." and I pulled out of his grip and ran out the door to my car and drove away. I waited for two hours before going home. The sky was gray. The weather forecast had predicted a nasty thunderstorm tonight. 
 
Finally going home, I threw on a tank top and gym shorts. I started to clean my apartment. I always cleaned when I had things on my mind. And Jae Myung wouldn't stop being on my mind now. 
 
I was making dinner when it started to pour. Lightning flashed across the sky and the sound of thunder could be heard clearly. I finished stirring the kimchi jigae and shut off the fire. I just had to wait for the rice to be ready and i could eat. 
 
I flipped on the television to the news. Ki Ha Myung was reporting and I smiled. I knew how proud Jae Myung was of him. 
 
Then, my doorbell rang. I went over to the door and looked through the digital panel. My eyes widened. It was Jae Myung. How did he know I lived here?! I took a deep breath and opened the door. "Jae Myung-ah." I stared at him. He was soaked from head to toe. "Why didn't you use an umbrella? You're going to get sick." I chided him. He looked at me with sad eyes and I felt my heart clench. 
 
"I was angry when I found our you lived here. I really thought you were watching me. Making sure I didn't make anymore mistakes. But, you never did. You always showed me the truth and a true smile." he said. "Jae Myung-ah…" I blinked.
 
"Come in. I'll get you a towel." I turned to go and get a towel. He came inside and closed the door. "Here." and without thinking I started to towel his hair for him. I had to stand on my tip toes to reach his head.
 
"Maeri." He called my name softly. I looked down and didn't realize that our faces were so close. I dropped to my feet from my tip toes awkwardly and stumbled back. He grabbed my arm to steady me and bring me close to him.
 
"Maeri. Can you answer my question?" he asked. 
 
"W-what?" I asked wide-eyed.
"Do you like me?" he asked softly.
"Of course I like you! You're a wonderful person." I said laughing awkwardly.
 
"No. Do you love me?" he asked. "I-I…No." I replied and immediately hiccuped. I stared at him in shock and cursed myself inwardly. Something flickered across his eyes. "Jae Myu-."
 
But, before I could get out his name, he kissed me. The kiss started off soft and sweet, but quickly intensified. He wrapped his arms around my waist to pull me closer to him. My clothes were becoming wet where we made contact but I didn't care. I didn't care about anything except the feel of his lips on mine.
 
Our kiss deepened as I ran my hand through his wet hair. Finally, we pulled apart to breathe. But he didn't let go of me. He didn't even loosen his hold. His eyes were intense and I heart sped up even faster.
 
"You're right. I don't want you to be my social worker anymore. I want you to stay in my life longer. To be someone even more special. To be my girlfriend." he said softly. "If you would have me..." he dropped his head slightly. He even looked like he wanted to pull away. When he arms started to loosen, I grabbed them. 
 
"Don't ever think you aren't good enough for me. I love you, flaws and all." I said feeling tears sting my eyes and let go of his arms to pull on his collar. I smiled before pulling his lips down to mine and kissing him again. 
 
I laughed when he tried to get his shoes off without stopping the kiss and as we stumbled into the bedroom. He rested his forehead against mine. "I'll find out everything that will make you smile, giggle and laugh." He kissed my neck and I knew he meant that in every way possible as a shiver went through me. "Best part is, you can't lie."
 
I gave him an incredulous look, but before I could protest, he kissed me deeply again.