Part two.

Keep falling

It's been days after the encounter of Tae Eun and Hakyeon. Days of Tae Eun went by with no particular thoughts. Nobody had seen Hakyeon, Sunggyu or Tae Eun outside from work. The three hadn't contacted each others. Hakyeon and Sunggyu saw each others at work, but didn't talk like they used to. Any words anyone said were work related. Why ?
Hakyeon was confused if what he did was the right thing to do. He gave Tae Eun time to think, scared if she'll ever contact him again. He hadn't seen her for days that felt like years, even if he had checked the places he met her earlier. Not only the thought of being rejected scared him, but her fainting worried him more. He had told her to get checked at the hospital, but had she done so. If yes, what was the diagnosis. Stress ? Not having enough sleep ? Not eating well enough ? All the questions were hurting his head and there were no answers coming.
Why did he feel hurt, why didn't Kyungri's words make him feel anything. Why did he think Tae Eun all day long ? Sunggyu was puzzled also. He thought Kyungri would be the one he'd date for a while, longer than his usual relationships, but the thought of Tae Eun kept him from confessing his feelings. 
Even if both Hakyeon and Sunggyu were stuggling with their feelings, was Tae Eun the most confused. Not knowing if she should hold up her feelings or let it all out. If she'll tell him, she'd end up only hurting him. Most of her days she spent at home alone. It was the safest way. Excercising made her forget everything that had been going on lately, but she knew she couldn't escape from reality forever. Soon, it'd be time for everyone to find out.  The moment that the words of her resignment would fill up the company, everyone would know. Why to resign, aren't you coming back, you know this job was one of a kind for you right - all the questions people would send sounded tiring already. Why resign ? To enjoy life as much as she could when she still was able to.

It's been now weeks since Tae Eun resigned. People have been calling her as she thought they would. After her closest co-worker and friend had called her multiple times to meet up with her, Tae Eun decided to go. Go out of the house for the first time after a week. It felt weird to wear pretty clothes again, to put on make-up and actually look like a humanbeing. They'd meet up at the café near the company and when Tae Eun got to the café, her friend was there already.
" Gosh Tae Eun you look like you lost a lot of weight ! "
" Miracles of finally working out " Tae Eun laughed and sat down. After ordering some tea instead of hot chocolate, her friend's face had a worried expression written all over her face.
" Really Hyori, it's nothing. I just decided to try living healthier. I lost weight because of working out and tea is healthier than hot chocolate. Don't look so worried. "
Tae Eun sat her back towards the door so she didn't care nor see who came in from it. If Hyorin didn't talk at the same time, she would've been able to hear a familiar male voice ordering coffee. She didn't know that she was recognized. Sunggyu stared at her back confused, not knowing if he should approach her or not. Even if he had started to date Kyungri, he was still curious how Tae Eun was doing. They were still friends, right ? Neither Tae Eun or Hakyeon knew that Sunggyu knew what happened between those two.
" Kang Tae Eun, I've known you for a while now. It's been 10 years. I was the one you trusted most in your life once, why can't you tell me if something's wrong ? You don't know how bad you are at lying. What is it ? Did your father collapse again ? How serious is it ? Or did you win the lottery and you don't need to work anymore ? Are you getting married ? Seriously, Tae Eun what- "
" Hyorin .. " Tae Eun interrupted and took a moment of silence.
" I'm leaving. " She said finally. Not daring to look at her friend's face, Tae Eun stared at her tea. Hyorin watched her with confused face with worry and amusement. 
" Here's your order. " Sunggyu cursed because he couldn't hear what Tae Eun had said. Thanking and taking the coffees, he walked slowly towards the door. Please talk more, Sunggyu thought as he was curious. 
" Leaving ? Where ? " 
Tae Eun couldn't help but smile as she lifted her head. Though it hadn't been long, she had accepted it. 
" I fainted a few weeks ago when I was at work. I was told to get checked at the hospital, so i did. I thought it was overworking and stress. Hyorin-ah .. " Tears started to form in her eyes again. " They say the cure is painful and almost impossible. I'm scared. I have no one next to me. I don't have anyone to lean to. I don't want anyone to suffer because of me. " She couldn't hold it back anymore. It was the first time she had spoken about this out loud. Hyorin started to panick. Sunggyu was shocked and ran out. He should've gone out faster. He walked towards the bench across the café, at the park next to the company he worked at. 
" Sunggyu ? " He heard a familiar voice but couldn't lift his eyes from the ground. He felt someone sitting next to him and touching his shoulder. 
" Is something wrong ? "
" Hakyeon .. I saw Tae Eun. " Hakyeon was sure the feeling he had jealousy. Why did Sunggyu find her first without searching. 
" How is she ? " It took a while before Sunggyu answered. 
" I didn't talk to her. I overheard her talking with Hyori. She .. She's been living healthy. " Was it okay not to tell Hakyeon ? Tae Eun said she didn't want anyone to suffer, right. If Sunggyu would tell Hakyeon, he'd suffer of worry. " Here, I got you your coffee " Sunggyu said and acted his best. Nothing was wrong. Hakyeon took his coffee and looked at the café Tae Eun still was in. She hadn't called him, it was a message of rejection wasn't it. Hakyeon got it.

The café felt dead silent all of a sudden. It was like time stopped for a minute or two before Hyorin got any words out of . 
" But .. there is a cure, right ? There has to be. You'll be just fine ! Then why would you resign, it's not easy to get a job nowdays. " She tried. They both knew how much Tae Eun was scared of the pain after taking care of her father who had the same disease since her mother went abroad. Tae Eun had seen how much in pain her father was during the treatments and now that she would have to go through the same, Hyorin knew very well how scared she was.
" I'll be there for you ! You'll survive it too ! Just endure it for a little and .. " Tae Eun knew Hyorin tried her best. 
" I can't ask you for that. You were there when I needed you when father wasn't doing well. I won't allow you to be there for me, I know how hard it is. I don't want you to go through the same. "
" But you'll get the treatment right ? What happens if you don't ? "
" I'll keep falling around and drop stuff. My ankles won't hold up. Neither will my knees. I'll have to stop using my hands since my wrists won't hold up. My muscles will loosen. In the end I'll be in bed probably. But my brains will work ! " Tae Eun tried to laugh but Hyorin wasn't approving. 
" Laugh? You can laugh at that ? You can laugh at the fact that your life won't be yours ? That you can't take care of yourself ? I'm .. " Hyorin got mad and got up. She went, paid for the drinks you had and left Tae Eun alone in the café. This was a good thing actually. Now Hyorin would maybe be worried, but wouldn't have to suffer next to Tae Eun. Even if she felt a nail going through her, it would be better. For some reason, tonight felt a good day to have a drink.

Sunggyu had received a phone call from Kyungri and left earlier, leaving Hakyeon sit on the bench alone and staring the café.  Knowing Tae Eun was doing well and heathy relieved Hakyeon, even if he wanted to hear it from herself. As Hakyeon got up ready to leave, he saw Hyorin rushing out of the café, furious. Hakyeon just stared at her walk away from the café and not seeing Tae Eun following her, he ran to Hyorin to ask what's wrong. He shouted her name, making her stop and look at him.
" Hakyeon. What is it ? "
" Sunggyu saw you at the café earlier when he went to get coffee for us. Why do you look so mad ? "
Hyorin sighed and let go of her anger, making it more sorrowful. 
" Tae Eun. I wish she'd be able to let go of the past and stop being so scared, it's her life we're talking about anyway. " Hakyeon didn't quite understand what she ment, but didn't let it show. Hyorin cursed on Tae Eun and excused herself saying she was in a hurry. As she left, Hakyeon stared at the café. Deciding he'd finally meet Tae Eun, he went into the café, only to find out she wasn't there anymore. What was it that Hyorin was talking about ? Did the so brave-looking girl like Tae Eun have something to fear, what was it ? With such thoughts, Hakyeon went home. He did some work at home, tried to read, watch TV but all he could think was Tae Eun. Hakyeon decided to go to bed even if it was way too early to sleep.

" Another bottle please. " 
" Lady, are you sure ? You look pretty tipsy already "
" Yes,  I am sure. Today's a good day. " 
The club owner handed Tae Eun another drink. Even if Tae Eun herself didn't count how many bottles she had drunk, but she was feeling the effect. People around her were having fun, laughing and dancing. Making new friends, maybe lifetime ones. Some guys trying to get what they came for, girls to go home with them. One tried to talk to Tae Eun too not long after she came in. After telling him to keep searching, she had just sat there thinking of her life. After few more bottles, she decided to open up the waitress of her life. 
" See all these scratches and bruises ? It's because I keep falling, because my legs won't hold me up. It's only a matter of time my face becomes like this too when my hands won't be the one to hit the ground first. " 
" Lady, maybe you should go home. Is it safe to go alone ? "
" Of course it's safe ! It's not ev- "
" Maybe you should call someone, is there anyone to call ? "
" Sure. I'll call. I'll call if that makes your heart at ease. "

Hakyeon got up from bed after rolling around for hours and falling asleep in nightmares. He took a shower to cool himself down. Closing the shower, he heard music around. It was late, who would play music this late. Walking to the living room, the music just got louder and he realized it was his phone. Just before the call ended, he rushed to get his phone and answered it. Tae Eun. 
" Hello ? "
" See, I called but there's no answer. "
There was music playing behind her and she didn't sound like she was fine.
" Tae Eun ? Hello ? "
" Can I have another drink still ? Pleaaaaase. "
" Lady please, you're really drunk already. "
Hakyeon tried to call her name a few more times without an answer. 
" Should I take you to another round ? Let's go, I'll take you home. "
" Wait what- "
Then he heard the phone snap against something. 
" Lady your phone ! Oh .. Hello ? "
" Where is this ? Where is she ? "
" Oh. This is the Rain Club. The lady just left with this man. He said he knows her and will take her home."
" Thank you. "
Hakyeon closed the phone, dressed himself in a hoodie and pants and rushed out of the door. The guy taking her home didn't sound like he really knew her. Hakyeon ran towards the club.

" I'm sorry but who are you ? Where are we going ? "
" Shh, it'll be just fine. My place is pretty nice. Just come. " Tae Eun was maybe drunk, but she knew something was wrong here. He said he'd take you home but she didn't- oh. His home. Of course. After looking at the guy, she saw it was the same guy who wanted her to go with him earlier.
" Can I make a phone call ? I want to call someone. Wait where's my phone ? " The question seemed to please this man.
" Who knows. " The smirk on his face made Tae Eun nervous. 
" Look, I need to go home. " 
The man that walked her suddenly turned her around towards him. That smirk was still there. 
" You can call my house home tonight if you want to. That's where you'll be tonight. " That said, he kissed Tae Eun and her struggles didn't bother him at all. She got off from him few times, shouting at him to get off, but the street was empty, no one around to help her. The kissing went on, the struggle to get off went on. Tae Eun's eyes got full of tears of fear, but she wasn't able to get off. Just when she was about to give in, she heard fast foot steps and the man let her go. Then she heard a sound of a punch.
" You call yourself a man ? When she tells you to stop, you should do so ! " Tae Eun slowly opened her eyes and looked at these two men arguing. Another punch. After another. The voice of her saviour sounded familiar, and it took her a while to recognize who it was.
" Ha- Hakyeon ! Stop it ! " Tae Eun ran to him, begging him to stop punching the other man. Hakyeon got pushed up by her, looking furiously at the man lying on the ground wiping his lips from blood and cursing Hakyeon. Hakyeon shouted him to leave and so he did. After he was far enough, Hakyeon looked down at Tae Eun who was hugging him to keep him still. Even after he could've been released, she stayed there. Her breath sounded different. Teary. And as Hakyeon tried to move, Tae Eun told him not to. She was definitely crying. Not able to do anything else, Hakyeon just hugged her back. 
" Hakyeon.. I'm sorry for not calling you. "
" It's fine, I got it. Are you doing well ? "
Tae Eun slowly shaked her head. 
" No. I'm not fine. I'm lonely, I keep fighting with myself, with my feelings. With my health. Hakyeon I'm .. I'm not fine. I'm not fine. " She cried and Hakyeon just hugged her more tight and patted her head. 
" I was supposed to call you after checking up at the hospital to tell you I'm fine. But I couldn't lie to you. I'm not healthy Hakyeon, I'm slowly .. dying. "
Hakyeon's hug wasn't so tight anymore. He took a step back to see Tae Eun and held her shoulders. He was one big question mark.
" My dad had this same disease. The cure is really painful and might not even work. "
" But you're taking it, right ? .. Right ? "
After some silence, Tae Eun shaked her head. 
" I'm scared Hakyeon, so scared I could die. I don't want to go through the same pain my father did. Even mum left because she couldn't handle it, how could I handle it myself. I would've accepted your heart if it wasn't for this disease. I'm sorry. " Tae Eun looked at Hakyeon with teary eyes for the last time, turned around and started to walk home. Hakyeon looked at her back getting further again. Once again, he just stood there. 
No. Not this time. Watching Tae Eun to search for something in her bag, Hakyeon took few steps forward before Tae Eun turned around. 
" Oh Hakyeon I lo- "
He was so close. And his hands were on her face. And his lips were on hers. And she cried again. She wanted to push her off, but still not. Then he got off. 
" Tae Eun, I don't care. I'm going to stay by your side, no matter what. "
Before she was able to say anything back, he lifted her up.
" No matter what. "
" Hakyeon your hair is wet "
Hakyeon smiled and kissed her again. Tae Eun wrapped her hands around his neck and gave in. Kissed him back. If he was next to her, maybe she would be able to handle the pain of the disease better.