Pocky and Cheese

All That We Are

Seventh period flew by quickly for everyone. Amber enjoyed her class with Krystal, even though they couldn’t really talk.

 

Kris wasn’t much of a singer, so when his group had to perform as song like Amber did earlier that day, he took the rap and an infinitesimal part of the chorus. Of course he was put in beginners, but he didn’t mind, he wasn’t one for singing much.

 

“Yo!” Kris yelled from across dance gym when he saw Amber walk in. She immediately looked in his direction and walked towards him.

 

“Hey, how was last period?” she asked.

 

Kris shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “Eh, it’s singing, it’s not my forte, but I’d say I did pretty freakin awesome on the rap.”

 

Amber rolled her eyes as Kris did his little stupid victory dance. “I feel like your ego just won’t stop growing.”

 

“Nope,” Kris said smugly.

 

“Surprisingly, there aren’t a lot of people in here,” Amber commented as she looked around the spacious room to see only a handful of people occupying it, including the dance teachers.

 

“It’s probably because there are three dance studios. They probably split up the students for better practice,” Kris said as he began stretching his body slightly.

 

“True,” Amber said as she began stretching with Kris. “I’m just glad we don’t-”

 

“Oh, ew. Of course I’d have class with you losers,” a snarky voice spoke.

 

“I spoke too soon,” Amber said, annoyed.

 

Key walked up to the duo with another person to the left of him. He was much taller with dark brown hair, someone neither of them had seen on campus before.

 

“What do you want, Key?” Kris snapped.

 

“To talk to Amber. Her little boyfriend embarrassed me this morning,” Key retorted.

 

“Yah! He’s not my boyfriend and I have nothing else to say to you so, bye,” Amber snapped as she turned her back to him and began warming up.

 

“Key, just leave them alone,” the tall guy suggested.

 

“Minho, shut up,” Key barked.

 

Minho help up his hands in defeat then walked away from the situation.

 

“I don’t appreciate how-” Key started but then the bell cut him off.

 

“Okay, students! Gather over here!” a teacher called.

 

“You just wait,” Key growled before he walked towards the small group.

 

Kris protectively wrapped his arm around Amber’s shoulders and guided them both over the opposite side of the small gathering, where Key wasn’t.

 

“Hello class! I’m Hyoyeon and this,” she pointed to the man next to her, “is Yunho. We will be your teachers for this school year.”

 

“Now, we will have showcases every three months, since this is Dance III, so expect to spend lots of time practicing before and after school around showcase time.”

 

“Today, we are just going to split you up into boys and girls, so please, girls to the left and boys to the right,” Hyoyeon said.

 

Kris let go over Amber and they both went their opposite ways as the teacher asked.

 

“Oh, excuse me, sir,” Hyoyeon called towards Amber.

 

“Me?” Amber asked confusedly as she pointed to herself.

 

“Yes, you sir. Gentlemen to the right and ladies to the left. Please go to the right with your fellow gentlemen,” Yunho asked politely.

 

Amber looked down at her clothes then remembered. Quickly she bowed and apologized then made her way next to Kris.

 

“Looks like we’ll be together this class period too,” Kris commented as Amber stood next to him.

 

Luckily for them, there wasn’t much time for talking and they kept their distance from Key. Class was over before they knew it and once the teachers dismissed them shortly after the last bell rang, they bolted out of the studio, leaving Key in the dust with his friends.

 

“He kept glaring at me,” Amber complained. “It felt uncomfortable.”

 

“Soon, he’ll learn to build and bridge and get over whatever it is he hates us for,” Kris said as he navigated them out of the crowded school.

 

“Aish, I hate how crowded the lobby gets,” Amber said once they reached the open space outside.

 

“I’m hungry.”

 

“That doesn’t surprise me.”

 

“I want pocky.”

 

“That most definitely doesn’t surprise me.”

 

“And cheese. I want pocky covered in cheese.”

 

“Are you pregnant?” Amber asked.

 

“What? No.”

 

“I’m the one on my period yet you’re the one who had weird cravings.”

 

“It’s not as weird as that one time I ate that bacon sundae in America.”

 

“Yeah and you actually liked it.”

 

“What can I say? Ice cream and bacon were meant to be together,” Kris rejoiced as he patted his flat stomach.

 

Amber shook her head and said, “Only in ‘murica can you get something crazy like that.”

 

“I don’t know about that, they have weird food everywhere.”

 

“Eh, true dat,” Amber agreed.

 

“Amber!” a voice from behind them called.

 

“Hey, Krystal,” Amber greeted when she turned around and saw the young brunette walking towards her with Luna by her side. “Hey, Luna.”

 

“Hello, Amber! We were going to go into the city together in celebration of surviving the first day, would you and Kris like to come with? I’ll drive!” Luna offered.

 

“It’ll be fun!” Krystal added.

 

Amber looked at Kris for an answer, but all he did was shrug indifferently, ultimately letting her decide.

 

“Sure, but first can we stop by a store to pick up some pocky and cheese?” Amber finally answered.

 

Krystal and Luna looked at each other with their faces slightly scrunched up.

 

“Uh, sure,” Luna replied. “I don’t think I’ve ever tried that combination before, is it good?”

 

“It should be. If my stomach craves it, it must be delicious,” Kris said as they began walking together towards the student parking lot.

 

“Do you get weird cravings often?” Krystal questioned.

 

“Actually, I have been these past few weeks. It’s rather peculiar,” Kris answered. Amber looked at him and saw something shimmer in his eye even though his face was completely serious.

 

“Are you pregnant?” Luna teased.

 

“Omo, now that you mention it, I missed my period this past month. You don’t think, huh, that I’m preggers, do you?!” Kris asked completely serious.

 

Amber face palmed and wished she had told Kris to stay home. Luna and Krystal were both taken aback by his response.

 

“I don’t know man, you and that pizza must’ve made a food baby together,” Amber replied.

 

After a few moments Krystal was the first one to laugh then Luna. They were in hysterics by the time they reached Luna’s car.

 

“I’ve never met anyone like you two!” Luna exclaimed. “You guys have these sense of humors that mesh so perfectly together, it’s quite interesting.”

 

“That’s probably why we be tight like that,” Kris said as he crossed his fingers.

 

Amber just smiled to herself as Kris opened the door and let her slide in first into the backseat of Luna’s car.

 

“So how did you two meet?” Amber asked when they were all piled into the car.

 

“We’ve been friends since elementary school. I moved here when I was about seven. Luna was my first friend. We’ve been inseparable since day one,” Krystal explained with a small smile on her lips.

 

“What about your sister?” Amber pondered.

 

Krystal slightly tensed up, but Luna patted her knee and gave her a reassuring glance before returning her attention back to the road which calmed her down.

 

“Um, we don’t exactly get along. She’s extremely popular and… I don’t know, she just forgets that I’m even her own flesh and blood sometimes,” Krystal wept.

 

Amber sat forward in her seat and hugged Krystal from behind, scaring the younger for a second before she returned the favor.

 

“Sometimes family members are s,” Amber explained.

 

Krystal nodded but didn’t say anything more.

 

Kris didn’t like how the tension was in the car. Sappy situations were what put him out of his comfort zone.

 

“So, where should we get this cheese and pocky?” Kris asked as he gazed out the window.

 

“There’s a small supermarket not too far from here. We can go there,” Luna answered.

 

“Coolio, Julio,” Kris said.

 

“That’s such a cliché, Kris.”

 

“But it’s an awesome one, plus I’m awesome so it makes the saying super awesome.”

 

“How does that even make sense? If I start saying ‘Okie Dokie’ does that make the saying cool?”

 

“Absolutely.”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“You say it anyways. I don’t see the problem here,” Kris retorted.

 

“Good lawd.”

 

“You know what people should start saying again?”

 

“No.”

 

“Dawg.”

 

“No.”

 

“Like, ‘Sup, home dawg?’ Yeah, that sounds so retro.”

 

“Please don’t, Kris.”

 

“Or is it vintage?”

 

“I have a reputation to uphold-”

 

“Like, ‘Yo, dawg,’ or ‘Homie-D, what up, what up?’”

 

“How about a hell to the no!”

 

“Oh yeah! When I see you in the hallway, that’s how I’m gonna greet you!”

 

“Do it and I will castrate you in your sleep.”

 

“No you won’t.”

 

“Don’t test me, boy.”

 

“Okay, we’re here!” Luna exclaimed before the two could further bicker.

 

“Woo woo! Here I come, babies!” Kris yelled as he got out of the car.

 

“Who is he yelling to?” Krystal asked as she, Amber, and Luna began to walk inside the store, Kris already lost somewhere inside.

 

“His food. He refers to any food as his baby,” Amber concluded.

 

“He really is a nutty character,” Luna joked.

 

“You have no idea.”

 

“I wonder where-”

 

“I found the mothership!”

 

“Nevermind, we found him,” Krystal said as they turned down the aisle Kris had screamed from.

 

Amber’s jaw dropped when she saw the different kinds of pocky on the shelves. Pocky was their kryptonite and they found their maker.

 

“Holy guacamole, that’s a lot,” Amber exclaimed.

 

“Okay, Amber, didn’t we just get over cheesy saying. They don’t work for you, only for me,” Kris complained as he grabbed as many boxes as he could hold.

 

“Yah, shut up!” Amber returned.

 

“Alright, now for the cheese.” Kris said as he began walking towards the dairy area.

 

“You better share some of that pocky with me!”

 

“You wouldn’t share you’re cookie with me earlier, so, no.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“No!” Kris shouted from a couple aisles over.

 

“I wonder where the silly string is,” Luna mumbled.

 

Amber’s ears perked up at the statement and she turned to look at Luna.

 

“Let’s try the kid area,” Krystal suggested.

 

“Are you guys gonna have a silly string fight later?” Amber asked as she followed the two.

 

“You could say that,” Luna replied.

 

After checking a few toy aisles, Krystal found the coveted silly string on the bottom shelf of the party aisle.

 

“Quick question: Amber, what’s the worst trouble you have been in?” Krystal interrogated as she picked out her silly string color.

 

“Um… well, Kris and I got kicked out of a skating park for fighting. Then there was the time my parents caught me street racing so they grounded me for a month… but the worst would be when I got caught skipping school by the cops. Why?”

 

“Hm, then I guess you won’t mind a little reckless behavior today,” Luna teased as she opened a bag of paper party hats that most kids wore at birthday parties.

 

“What are you two doing?” Amber questioned as both Krystal and Luna put on a party hat.

 

“Celebrating,” Krystal replied with a big smile on her face.

 

Luna placed a hat on top of Amber’s head as Krystal opened a bag of party poppers and noise makers.

 

“We may not look like it, but we get a little crazy at times,” Luna whispered.

 

A smirk crept upon Amber’s face and she couldn’t help but feel a jolt of adrenaline rush through her body.

 

“I like crazy,” Amber murmured as she picked two random cans of silly string and stuck a noise maker in .

 

Soon, the three girls were geared up for battle while Kris was lost somewhere in cheese.

 

“Rules are we run separate ways until we find each other, then we shoot and blow into our noise makers. Once we run out of silly string, we pop a party popper as a sign of surrender, got it?” Luna reported.

 

Krystal and Amber nodded firmly.

 

“May the odds be ever in your favor,” Luna smirked then scampered off to somewhere else in the store.

 

“Good luck,” Krystal said as she ran the opposite way.

 

Amber ran off towards the clothing section, thinking she could use the clothes as her protection.

 

Kris couldn’t decide: American or Swiss? Both were good choices but he couldn’t decide which one he wanted. Ah, it, pepper jack it is.

 

Kris grabbed the winner and began making his way towards the front to check out when he heard an annoying noise come from the electronics area.

 

A few seconds later he heard laughing and a store associate ran past him towards the noise.

 

Kris recognized Amber’s laugh and immediately ran towards it.

 

He found Luna, Krystal and Amber had moved to the women’s clothing area and were spraying silly string at each other and all over the clothes.

 

Kris stood there with his mouth wide open and dropped his food. He couldn’t believe the two quiet girls were being so reckless.

 

Luna dropped her can and pulled out her party popper, signaling her surrender.

 

The war was now left between Krystal and Amber.

 

“Kris! Put some of the pocky in your pocket!” Luna yelled.

 

“Mwo?!” Kris asked in disbelief.

 

“Put some in your pockets! Here in about ten seconds, we’re gonna have to split,” Luna explained.

 

Kris nodded numbly and grabbed a couple boxes of pocky and shoved it into his pockets along with the small block of pepper jack cheese.

 

Amber and Krystal were still at it when the security caught them.

 

“Hey, you guys! Stay right there!” a security guard yelled.

 

Amber and Krystal stopped but ran away from him along with Luna and Kris. Amber turned and began spraying what she had left at the guard. Krystal followed suit and together they slowed him down.

 

As the four of them got closer, Luna handed Kris a part popper as Amber and Krystal got theirs out.

 

“On the count of three!” Amber yelled.

 

“Hana!”

 

“Dul!”

 

“Set! Release!” Krystal yelled and altogether they pulled the strings on the poppers and let the confetti out.

 

“Yah! Catch them!” the security guard yelled, but no one processed what he was asking quick enough.

 

Seconds later, the quartet was in the parking lot, sprinting towards Luna’s car parked near the exit.

 

“Holy ! You guys are crazy! We could’ve been arrested!” Kris screamed once they were all in the car.

 

Luna threw the car into drive and peeled out of the parking lot as quick as possible.

 

Krystal and Amber and Luna were in hysterics. The adrenaline rush gave them such a high, they could function all that properly.

 

“We know! That’s why we did it!” Krystal explained.

 

Kris was shaking from the adrenaline rush and soon he too was laughing like crazy.

 

Luna stopped at a gas station a little ways down from where the supermarket was so they could clean up.

 

“Dude, did you take the pocky?” Amber asked as she pointed to Kris’ bulky pockets.

 

“Yeah, Luna told me to since I wouldn’t have had time to buy it.”

 

“You’re welcome!” Luna hollered from outside the car as she threw away the remnants of the silly string fight, but keeping the paper hat.

 

“You guys are so crazy,” Amber commented as she finished cleaning herself up.

 

“We’re just living. There’s more to life than existing,” Krystal shrugged.

 

“True!” Kris yelled from inside the car.

 

“I never would’ve pegged you two to be troublemakers,” Amber remarked.

 

“Looks are quite deceiving, aren’t they?” Krystal retorted with a small smile on her lips.

 

Amber blushed and looked down at her feet.

 

“Yeah, they really are.”

 

Once the three girls finished scraping the silly string off of themselves, they got back in the car where Kris was already eating his pocky and cheese.

 

“What’s next?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------

A/N: Not gonna lie, my friends and I did something similar to this :3

We didn’t run away from security guards or anything. We went to Walmart at 2 in the morning and played with silly string. We didn’t ruin anything besides our clothes and hair and, surprisingly, we didn’t get in trouble. Partly because we didn’t get caught since almost no one is at Walmart at 2 am on a Tuesday morning.

But we did use two whole cans each of silly string…

I’m a terrible person  ._____.

Welp, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

-Jayde