Nachos and Milkshakes

All That We Are

“Kris,” Amber groaned out. She looked over at the clock on her night stand and saw the glowing lights flashing 2:48 AM. It’s way too late for someone to be banging on our door.

 

No movement.

 

“Kris!” she said louder.

 

Still no movement.

 

“Yifan!” Amber yelled as she threw a stuffed animal from her bed to his head.

 

Finally, Kris rolled over and looked at Amber through heavy eyelids.

 

What?” he asked bitterly. If there’s one main thing they had in common, it was that neither of them liked to be woken up in the middle of the night or early on the weekends.

 

“Answer the door,” she grumbled out before she turned her head to face the wall.

 

“And why couldn’t you answer it?” he complained as the knocking continued.

 

Amber didn’t answer; she just laid there and waited for him to do it. Kris hadn’t moved and the knocking seemed relentless.

 

“Okay, fine! I’ll get it!” Kris shouted as he got up and shuffled his way over to the door.

 

“What!” he shouted once he opened the door, “what on earth is so freaking important that you had to wake us up?!”

 

“Oh shut up,” Key retorted as he shoved past Kris and let himself in.

 

“Yah! You can’t just barge into our dorm uninvited in the middle of the night,” Kris complained as he turned around to look at Key. Amber lifted her head up and squinted, looking over at the diva walking towards her.

 

“I’m pretty sure I just did,” Key said then laid down on Kris’s bed and pulled the comforter over him. Amber sat up in her bed and looked at Kris confusedly then back at Key.

 

“What are you doing here, Key?” Amber asked in an irritated tone.

 

“I went to a party in the city with my roommate and some friends. I lost my key and my roommate is passed out in the backseat of his car.”

 

“Why didn’t you just go back and sleep in his car too? Or take his key?” Kris asked as he walked over and hovered above his bed.

 

“Because that would mean I would have to walk all the way back to the student parking lot and I am not doing that when there is a perfectly good bed here.”

 

Kris scoffed and looked over at Amber who was glaring at Key.

 

“Get out of my bed,” Kris demanded.

 

“How about no,” Key said as he rolled over and faced the wall.

 

“I’m not joking, Key. I will take you out of my bed and throw your out in the hall,” Kris threatened.

 

Key didn’t move a single inch from his comfortable spot. Kris looked back at Amber who just shrugged then nodded for him to do it.

 

Kris smirked down at the unsuspecting Key who was already fast asleep in his warm bed.

 

“Soft kitty, warm kitty,” Kris started to sing as he bent down and removed the covers from Key, “little ball of fur.”

 

Kris picked Key up bridal style and carried him towards the door.

 

“Happy kitty, sleepy kitty,” he finished as he laid Key down in front of his own dorm next door, “purr, purr, purr.”

 

Once Kris had successfully gotten rid of Key he went back to his room and closed the door quietly, making sure to lock it and hook the chain up behind him.

 

“Why must he always bother us? That’s the second time this week and we barely met on Monday!” Amber whined as Kris made his way back to his bed.

 

“I don’t know, maybe we are the only ones who put up with him,” Kris mumbled as he lied back down on his comfortable bed.

 

Amber nodded and closed her eyes, letting dreamland take over again.

------------------------------------------------------------

“What should we do for breakyfast?” Kris asked as he came out of the bathroom fully dressed for the day.

 

Amber looked over at the clock and then back at Kris while walking towards the bathroom with her change clothes in hand.

 

“Considering it’s almost noon, I don’t think many places will be serving breakyfast,” Amber commented before she closed the bathroom door.

 

“How about lunch then, what should we do for lunch?” Kris shouted through the closed bathroom door while putting on his shoes.

 

“How about na- Oh my sweet baby Pablo!” Amber shouted from behind the closed bathroom door.

 

“Amber?!” Kris shouted through the closed door, “Is everything okay?!”

 

“Of ing course,” Amber mumbled.

 

Kris got up and banged on the door, repeatedly asking if Amber was alright.

 

“Yeah… Don’t worry about it,” Amber mumbled to Kris, then turned the faucet on to drown out the sounds that might be made by her so Kris wouldn’t have to hear.

 

Kris sighed and went to the small kitchenette in the corner of their dorm to look for something to snack on while he waited.

 

After a few minutes Amber emerged from the bathroom with a gloomy look plastered on her face. One look at her and Kris immediately understood what had happened.

 

“Oh no,” Kris said as Amber tossed her dirty clothes into her laundry basket, “did the crimson wave come for a visit?”

 

Amber shot him a glare and rolled her eyes. “Yes,” she said sharply as she put on her shoes, “of course it had to come right before school starts!”

 

Kris smiled sympathetically at the younger. He never would be able to understand her pain during times like these, but he never made fun of her for having it like most men because he saw firsthand how bad it can get.

 

When Kris was younger his mother would stay away from him during her ‘time of the month’ because of how bad the cramps were and how miserable she felt; she didn’t want him to see her suffering and Kris never understood why he couldn’t spend much time with her during that time, but as he got older she hid it less and less and he began to understand. He once saw her puking because of how severe the cramps were when he was 10 and ever since that day he swore never to make fun of a girl or downgrade her because of her monthly ‘gift.’

 

When Amber got her first period a year later, she was embarrassed to look at Kris. The shame she felt for bleeding and the pain she felt in her uterus was a reminder that she was a girl and when she was younger, it was embarrassing because most of her friends were guys and never would understand… but Kris did.

 

At first, Amber hid from Kris much like his mother did when he was younger. She stayed in her house and when he came over she would lie and say she wasn’t feeling well or didn’t want to play with him, but after the third day of hiding Kris marched right into her house and demanded to know why his best friend was ignoring him. Amber broke down and admitted that she got Mother Nature’s gift and that the cramps hurt her and that she was embarrassed to tell him. Kris comforted her and assured her that it wasn’t an embarrassing thing, it was a part of a female’s life, and that he would be there to comfort her if she ever needed. That was the first time they realized they were meant to be best friends.

 

“Let’s get a chocolate milkshake,” Kris suggested as he grabbed Amber’s hand and began pulling her towards the door.

 

“Oohh, can we get nachos too! Nachos smothered with cheese and chicken!” Amber squealed as Kris locked the door.

 

“Shut up!” Key groaned as he rolled over on the floor in front of his door.

 

Amber and Kris looked down at the annoying boy, remembering that Kris had stuck him there after their early morning intrusion. To say he looked like would be an understatement.

 

Key’s shirt had dirt from the hallway floor all over it, there were rips all down his pants in the front and also covered in dirt, he was covered in glitter from head to toe and his make-up was smeared all over his face. And his hair was the worst of it all. It looked like a multicolored rat’s nest with glitter that someone puked up all over it.

 

Earlier that morning neither of them had got a good look at him because they were half asleep and it was dark, but they were glad they didn’t or they would’ve had nightmares from the burning images.

 

“Uh, Key,” Amber said while nudging his leg with her foot.

 

Kris stopped her and shook his head. “Let’s just leave him. He needs to learn to not go barging into our dorm at all hours of the night,” Kris said as he stepped around the sleeping kitty.

 

Amber looked back down at Key then shrugged her shoulders at him as if he could see and followed Kris down the hall towards the elevator.

 

Once they got to the student parking lot they found their other roommate passed out in the car next to Amber’s.

 

“Oh Pablo, why do we have to keep running into them?” Amber complained as she walked past the front bumper of her roommate’s car.

 

“It’s like we were destined to be friends with them or something,” Kris said as he glanced down in the back seat window at his passed out neighbor.

 

“I hope not. You, Suho and Jackson are good enough for me,” Amber said as she slid into her car. Kris smirked at her as he got into the passenger seat.

 

“Suho, huh,” Kris said then chuckled when her saw her cheeks go a slight shade of pink.

 

“Yes, Suho and Jackson both. Don’t forget I said you too,” Amber said as she pulled out of the student parking lot.

 

“But Suho,” Kris said with a knowing smirk stuck on his face.

 

“Kris, don’t forget it’s my time of the month. I may just snap and kill you in your sleep,” Amber barked as she weaved her way in and out of traffic.

 

“Okay, okay,” Kris surrendered with his hands up in front of him, “sorry for bringing him up.

 

They were quite for the rest of the ride, just listening to the radio and avoiding the topic of Suho. When they finally pulled up to Shakes ‘n’ More, they got out and made a beeline for the door.

 

“Ah, chocolate. A girl’s best friend,” Amber said as she slid into the booth across from Kris.

 

“So I’ve learned,” Kris said nonchalantly as he looked over the menu.

 

A few minutes passed before a waiter came over to take their orders.

 

“Hello!” a warm voice greeted as two complimentary glasses of water were placed in front of them, “Welcome to Shakes ‘n’ More. My name is Henry and I’ll be your waiter for today. Are you guys ready to order or do you need more time?”

 

Amber looked at the young man standing in front of her and gasped a little. He was quite handsome and his smile was charming. His hair was a curly mixture of honey brown and warm blond and his eyes were like melted milk chocolate. She sure wasn’t expecting him.

 

“Yeah, uh,” Kris said obnoxiously, “I’ll have the chicken nachos and a strawberry milkshake. Oh and a side of fries.”

 

Henry nodded as he wrote down Kris’s order on his notepad then looked over at Amber and waited for her response, a small smile on his lips. “What about you, miss?” he asked politely.

 

“Uh, uh,” Amber stuttered then coughed a little to clear her shocked mind, “I’ll have the chicken nachos and a chocolate milkshake with extra chocolate on top.” He called me miss. I haven’t been referred to as miss in a long time.

 

Henry nodded as he wrote down her request then took up their menus. “Alrighty, I’ll get that out as soon as possible,” he said delightedly then walked off, stealing one last look at Amber secretly.

 

Amber looked back at Kris and saw him grinning at her like a five year old after that snuck a cookie without getting caught.

 

“What?” she asked as she took a sip of her water.

 

Kris shot her an evil grin then began singing in a high, girly voice. “Your milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they’re like, it’s better than yours,” he sang as he pointed to a random girl sitting at a table alone, “damn right, it’s better than yours,” he sang as he pointed to a different, bustier female sitting with a group of guys who were clearly not interested.

 

“Shh, Kris, shut up! Someone might hear you,” Amber said, cheeks slightly flushed as she swatted his hands down and sank into the booth.

 

“Oh, Amber, this is why you don’t have a boyfriend. You’re too afraid to admit that your milkshakes bring the boys out. B-bring the boys out! Amber Liu make you feel the heat and she doin it, can’t be beat!”

 

“Oh my Pablo, oh my Pablo, you are not doing this to me!” Amber said as she sank further down into her seat.

 

“What? I’m just stating facts,” Kris said as he leaned back and clasped his finger behind his head.

 

“Just keep your mouth shut when he returns with the food, ‘kay pumpkin?” Amber said as she sat back up and reached for her water.

 

“Whatever you want, sweet tart,” Kris said in English as Henry walked up to the table, the last part catching his ear.

 

“You speak English?” Henry asked in English as he set down Amber’s food and milkshake in front of her first.

 

“Yeah, we both do. I moved here from Canada and Amber moved here from California,” Kris said and Henry looked over at Amber.

 

“You speak English too, miss?” Henry asked as he looked right into Amber’s eyes.

 

“Y-yeah, that’s how Kris and I became friends. We both moved here from North America around the same time and in the same neighborhood.”

 

“Just friends?” Henry asked nonchalantly as he set down Kris’s food and milkshake in front of him.

 

“Yep, yep!” Kris chirped as he began dousing his fries in ketchup. Henry looked to Amber as if to confirm that this was true and Amber nodded at him with a shy smile on her face.

 

Henry smiled politely at her then looked back at Kris who was shoving food down his throat as if he hadn’t eaten in days, which, technically, they hadn’t. The duo had been surviving off of ramen and pocky for the past week, too busy setting up their dorm and getting their textbooks to actually go out and get food.

 

“Well, just let me know if you guys need anything,” Henry offered.

 

“Thank you, we will,” Amber said and with that Henry hurried off to put the tray away and attend to other customers.

 

Amber rolled her eyes at Kris and his childish behavior as she began eating her nachos. Even in public he ate like an animal, getting food all over his face and shoving food down his throat without even breathing.

 

“Oh my God,” Amber said after her first taste of the chocolate milkshake, “this is heaven!”

 

Kris stopped eating and looked at her with wide eyes. “Amber! We promised we were gonna stop saying God and start saying Pablo!” he reminded and then gulped down some of his milkshake.

 

“I know, I know, but this milkshake is too damn good it made me forget,” Amber explained as she took another drink.

 

“Oh my G- Pablo,” Kris said after he finished about half of his, “this is heaven. We’ve got to come here more often.”

 

And as if on cue, Henry appeared out of nowhere. “How is everything?” he asked in English.

 

“ing delicious!” Kris exclaimed rather loudly, gaining attention of the couple a few booths away and some people from the tables nearby.

 

Henry chuckled and glanced at Amber from the corner of his eye which didn’t go unnoticed by her or Kris.

 

“I have to pee,” Kris said rather abruptly then slid out of the booth and scampered off towards the bathroom.

 

Amber looked confused at the now empty booth across from her, still processing what Kris just did.

 

“So, how is it?” Henry asked as he turned towards Amber, smiling.

 

“Um,” Amber said a bit nervously, “it’s very good. I like the milkshake a lot.”

 

“That’s good,” Henry said, but there was another question on the tip of his tongue and Amber could feel it, but he didn’t say anything, he just stood there kind of waiting.

 

“So, um, how old are you? If you don’t mind me asking…” Henry finally asked after a few seconds of awkward silence.

 

“I just turned sixteen last Saturday,” Amber said shyly.

 

“I’m seventeen,” Henry replied without her asking, “What school do you go to?”

 

“The Fine Arts Academy of Seoul,” Amber answered.

 

“Me too!” Henry exclaimed happily. “I’m a second year there.”

 

“Really? I haven’t seen you around campus at all this week,” Amber commented.

 

Henry smiled and nodded. “Well, I’ve been there but not often. Since this is my last week before school starts, my boss has been working me nonstop because when school does start, I’ll have to quit to keep up with my studies,” he explained.

 

“Oh, well hopefully I’ll see you around campus this semester,” Amber said cheerfully. Just then Kris came back from the bathroom and slid back into his seat across from the younger.

 

“Well, I have to get back to work,” Henry informed in his work voice, “Just let me know you two need anything.”

 

“Okie dokie smokey,” Kris said in a high pitched voice then began to finish his nachos.

 

Amber rolled her eyes at the elder and followed his lead in finishing her nachos. They ate in silence, enjoying their first real meal since Sunday when both of their families went out a celebrated their new school year and them moving away from home during the school year.

 

“Any or dessert or milkshakes to go?” Henry asked when he returned after they had finished their food. Amber and Kris shook their head together, too stuffed from their meal to even think about more food.

 

“Then here is your check,” Henry said as he laid down the bill but before Amber could see it, Kris snatched it up, read the amount and gave Henry some money. “I’ll be right back with the change,” he said as he walked off towards the cash register behind the bar.

 

“I’ll wait by the car, you wait for the change,” Kris said as he slid out of the booth.

 

“Wait, what?” Amber said alarmed. Was he really just going to leave her? “You can’t just leave me!”

 

“I’m not leaving you, I’m simply giving you an opportunity with Henry,” Kris explained then walked off towards the exit, leaving a shocked Amber behind.

“But, but, but,” Amber began to protest but Kris was already out of the door, leaving her behind. Ah, you sonofabish.

 

“And here yo- Oh,” Henry said surprised as he walked up to the table to find Amber alone. “Where did your friend go?”

 

“Uh,” Amber said as she tried to think of an explanation, “He got really bad diarrhea.” Did I really just say that?

 

“What?” Henry asked shocked by her words.

 

“Yeah, he got the Hershey squirts. Um, he asked me to grab the change,” Amber said as he smiled at Henry. Oh well, payback for leaving me .

 

Henry chuckled and a smiled so big, his eyes became slits. “Well here you go then! Have a nice day, Amber.”

 

“Thank you, Henry,” Amber said as she grabbed the money and began to slide out of the booth. Do not ask for his number, Amber. If he wants this he can come and get it.

 

Just as Amber thought that and began walking away, Henry grabbed her softly by her arm causing her to stop in her tracks. She turned to look at him with a quirked eyebrow as if to ask ‘what?’ but on the inside she was squealing like a little five year old.

 

“Oh, uh,” Henry said as he let go of her arm and began rubbing the back of his neck while he looked down at his feet. “I…” When you’re ready, “was hoping…” come and get it, “to get your, uh…” na na na na, na na na na, “number,” he mumbled out while glancing back and forth from his feet to her.

 

Amber nodded very calmly and sent him a shy smile. Henry’s head shot up and he beamed from ear to ear. “Really?” he asked hopefully.

 

Amber nodded and Henry scrambled to pull out his pad of paper and a pen from the pocket of his smock that was a part of his uniform. He handed her his things and she took them into her slightly shaky hands, writing down her name and number then handed them back to him.

 

“Thank you! Have a nice day, Amber!” Henry said gleefully.

 

“You too, Henry,” Amber said shyly then walked off towards the exit with a bounce in her step.

 

Once she walked up to her car, Kris looked over at her from the spot he was leaning against and smiled expectantly.

 

“So? What happened?” he asked anxiously.

 

Amber grinned them began to serenade him. “I guess you were right… My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard!-”

 

“I told ya!”

 

“And they’re like, it’s better than yours!-”

 

“Well, considering I don’t have milkshakes-”

 

“Damn right, it’s better than yours!-”

 

“I sure hope I’m not bringing them to the yard-”

 

“I could teach you, but I’d have to charge!”

 

“No thanks, I don’t want to learn sensei,” Kris joked as he playfully nudged Amber’s shoulder.

 

“Well, if you ever wanna learn how to bring the boys out-”

 

“No.”

 

“Cheese, why so serious?” Amber teased as she slid into the driver seat.

 

“Because I’m one of a kind, baby,” Kris teased as he got into the passenger side.

 

Amber rolled her eyes and started the car.

 

“So, where to now?”

 

 

------

A/N: Okay, before you guys get mad at me for doing a henber ship, let me just say THIS IS NOT A PERMENTANT THING. IT’S JUST FOR NOW SO DON’T UNSUBSCRIBE OR GET MAD, PLEASE!!!! IT’S STILL A KRISBER FANFIC. Thank you.

 

Ah, I love this story so much already. I didn’t exactly draft this one out so I’m sorta just going with it, but I have a few ideas for it (Henry being one of them and many other idols in the feature since they go to a fine arts school.)

 

Can anyone guess Key’s roommate? I bet it’s not who you think it is ^.^

 

Thank you for reading! To all of you who subscribed: I love you!! <3 To all of those who just read: thank you for taking time to read my story! I love you guys too!! To all of you who leave me comments: I love you!!!!!

 

-Jayde