Breaking Norms

Absolutely Normal

i'm crying (not literally) because this actually took a longer time than it should. life hasn't been really fair to me, one of my beloved has been taken away from me, i can't ever see her again, and i feel rather ty these few days. school work's been piling up, and i'm pretty sure that my other chaptered story might or might not be on hiatus. again, i'm sorry for the really long delay.

note 2: I've been sick from the 23rd till the 26th, and haven't had much energy to even type out the story. again, i'm sorry for the delay.


"Back again?" Kris grins, a light tilt of his lips as two of his most regular customers walk into the shop. "Either my coffee's real addicting, or you just want to see me."

Luhan rolls his eyes, clicks his tongue, and takes a seat at the counter. He rests his head sideways on his elbow so that he has a good view of the raised platform where the grand piano stood in the quaint little cafe. Joonmyun takes a seat beside him, smiling wryly at the handsome cashier-slash-boss.

"We'll just say it's your coffee, hm?" He teases, smiling so wide his eyes turn into tiny crescents. He had always loved teasing his lover of seven months. 

"Well, ouch," The blonde cashier jokes, clutching his shirt as if in pain. "Any changes to your usual?"

Joonmyun shakes his head, and Kris turns to the kitchen where he shouts the orders to the chef. Meanwhile, Luhan was busy staring at the empty piano stool, eyes half-lidded and mouth slightly agape. He checked his watch, and read that it was about 6PM. Just a few more minutes, and the boy would come in. Just a few more-

The bell over the oak door jingles softly as it's pushed open, and a head of almost-silver hair is seen before a tall boy steps in. Luhan sits up quickly in excitement, ignoring the eye-roll from Joonmyun, and focuses solely on the male gingerly tapping out the dirt on the soles of his shoes. Slowly, the male makes his way over to the piano, where he opens the lid of the jar and takes out a slip of paper. Then he sits down on the stool, smiles softly at the small crowd in the cafe, and starts to play.

A soft, dreamy melody flows out from the piano, and Luhan finds himself falling deeply as he stares at the pianist, mesmerized by the way his hands and fingers move so gracefully, they skim over the notes just like a professional ballet dancer. 

"Ah, Chopin," Joonmyun sighs, recognizing the piece immediately. He raises his eyebrows at Luhan, who's still taken away by the pianist himself and not the music. Such will be life, he bemoans to himself, and Luhan will remain Luhan.

The piece is over before he knows it, but Luhan doesn't snap out of his daze as he continues to train his gaze on the handsome pianist. Just then, some boy with sand-blonde hair comes up and pushes a slip of paper to the pianist, who smiles softly at him, and Luhan is this close to flipping the countertop in front of him (even though that was physically impossible.)

"How dare he," Luhan whispers in a snarl as he whirls around, eyes narrowed at the blonde guy. "He was flirting with him! Definitely, definitely flirting with-"

"Luhan," Joonmyun sighs, massaging his temples with one hand as he jerks his thumb towards the blonde guy Luhan's rage was directed at. "He has a girlfriend."

"... Oh. Well, that solves everything," Luhan smiles brightly and turns back to admire the male who starts to play the new request. His ears perk up as the pianist taps the microphone gently, testing the sound before leaning over the piano keys to speak into it.

"Next is a song dedicated to miss Elaine," He gives a small smile and nod towards the blonde who had went up to the piano earlier. "Here's what Joe would like to say to you."

It came before Joonmyun knew it - he sees Luhan balling up his hands and them against his mouth to stop the loud squeal from slipping through his lips - and he rolls his eyes, covering his ears as Luhan desperately tries not to scream out in delight because the pianist was going to sing.

Baby you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven
And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

Joonmyun glances at Kris, silently signaling for the blonde to give Luhan a napkin. His friends grabs at it right away, biting at the end as he tried to stifle his squeals and ruining the song.

When the song finally ends, everybody applauds - Luhan's being the loudest, obviously - and the pianist bows before he places the small, hand-made "break" sign on the piano, leaving the request jar open. Luhan's eyes follow the pianist all the way until the bathroom door is fully shut before he turns back to his friend with a loud groan.

"How do I get him to notice me?!" Luhan moans into the polished counter top, getting a swat from Kris because he'd just cleaned it. 

The couple stares at the single in pity, silently shaking their heads at how pathetic it was. Luhan had liked the pianist since the first day he'd walked into the cafe and the male had spilled coffee over him. (the boy had been working as a waiter that day to fill in for an empty slot.)

"Ah, I'm so sorry!"

"Ow, ow, ow... Oh, no, it's oka-" Luhan trailed off as he stared at the wondrous beauty knelt down in front of him. His mouth hung open wide, his mind suddenly went blank, and all he could process was 'oh my god, he's so hot.'

"Are you okay, sir?" The beautiful person asked, smiling softly at him. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

Unable to feel his tongue, Luhan nodded mutely, eyes wide and staring at the male as he smiled, dusting off his pants before helping Luhan to his feet. Then, he's suddenly whisked away to the bathroom, where the male is handing him a towel and a new shirt, offering to clean his stained shirt for him and then-

"There'snoneedtoIneedtogonowit'sokayiforgiveyouyou'rereallyhandsomeimeanwhatokaybye."

Luhan bolted out of the bathroom and out of the cafe, making it back to his dorm in record time with red cheeks and a stained shirt. 

Kris and Joonmyun watches in amusement as the blonde suddenly started to bang his forehead against the marble at the embarrassing memory.

"Should we help him?" Kris asks, eyebrows raised as Luhan continues to mutter and slam his forehead against the smooth marble. 

"No," Joonmyun shakes his head, tilting his lips up into a small smile. "He'll be fine."


"You're going to what?" Joonmyun deadpans, blinking in incredulity at his blonde friend that he suddenly finds ridiculous and stupid. 

"I'm going to leave little notes inside the request jar!" Luhan repeats, rolling his eyes at his friend as if the male hadn't been paying attention.

"You're not going to stupidly write down your name at the end, are you?" 

"It's not like he knows my name," The blonde grins smugly, glad to finally have won an argument with Joonmyun-

"Right, what if he does?" 

Damn it, Luhan curses in his head. He always loses when it comes to arguing with Joonmyun, and in the end, the latter was always right. 

"Well, he probably doesn't," Luhan begins, but he's cut off before he can complete his sentence.

"Luhan, please. He spilled a cup of hot coffee on you and you ran away from him like your pants were on fire mumbling some incoherent words."

Luhan hated it when Joonmyun was right. "Well, then what do you want me to do?!"

"Talk to the guy and not look like a fool," He suggested, but he and Luhan both knew that was practically impossible.

The blonde rolls his eyes at the unhelpful advice and slams his head against the desk. Suddenly, his head shoots up.

"He can't possibly know my name, right? I mean, I only go in there to have dinner and stuff, and there's absolutely no way he knows my name!"

Nothing Joonmyun says can stop the now ecstatic blonde from grabbing some paper and a pen and scribbling love notes to the very dear pianist. He just hopes that Luhan doesn't regret it.


Sehun sighs softly as he observes the raining outside, pelting against the corridor windows as he opens his bag, grabbing his umbrella. School had just ended, and he was about to go to work at the cafe his cousin was the cashier-slash-boss of. Opening his umbrella, he steps out under the rain, twirling it slightly as he starts strolling towards the direction of the cafe.

It's inevitable his thoughts turn to a certain blonde male - the one who he had spilled coffee all over on the day he'd filled in for one of his colleagues. The way the male gaped up at him was comical, and there was a queer charm to the boy as Sehun brought him to the bathroom to clean up. Speaking of which, the boy ran away before he could even help him to clean up the stain. He had been an adorable sight to see, with his flushed cheeks and admiring eyes, and Sehun's lips tilted up into a smile at the mere thought of the cute male.

The male was a regular customer of the cafe, and through Kris, his cousin, he found out that the boy's name was Luhan. Luhan was studying at the college nearby (his age came as a surprise because of his baby face), and Sehun found himself perhaps, falling in love with the blonde.

Whistling softly, he pushes open the cafe door, his lips once as he taps out the water from his umbrella before storing it in the umbrella stand provided at the entrance. 

"Hey, Kris," He greets his cousin, who's busy wiping the already polished countertop. He receives a grunt in return, and Sehun heads over to the piano, opening the request jar even though the cafe was empty right now.

He digs out one of the slips of papers inside, unfolding it neatly and meticulously, eyes scanning the words.

Hi, cutie. 

His mouth involuntarily twitches up into a lopsided grin as he raises his eyebrows. This was certainly a compliment meant for him, right? Just who was the rascal who left this note inside of the request jar, he wonders as he taps the countertop that Kris is still polishing. 

"Did anybody come in and stick this in the request jar, or is this one of your pranks?" He asked his cousin, handing him the slip of paper.

Kris barely glances at it, furrowing his eyebrows at the words before doing a double-take to ensure he'd read it correctly.

"Maybe it's someone's idea of a joke," He grins at Sehun, ceasing all work on the clean countertop. "I swear it wasn't me. Did you attract any girls at your school unknowingly?"

Sehun just rolls his eyes, "I'm sure the girls know to stay away from me."

"You mean, stay away from Ice King Oh Sehun," Kris jokes with a gummy smile on his face.

He earns another eye-roll from Sehun.


Luhan grabs Joonmyun by the hood when the latter finally opens the door to their shared room.

"Whoaaa, hey, nice greeting," The brunette manages to get out through the tight grip the blonde had on his hood. "What's up?"

"The notes. Did he get it? Did he get them? Did he smile? Did he read them?" Luhan finishes all his questions in one breath.

"Whoa, slow down there," Joonmyun laughs softly at his frantic friend. "He read them, he smiled, he got them. Enough for you?"

Luhan slumps onto the couch with a smile on his face. "He got them."

"He sure did," Joonmyun laughs at the goofy smile on his friend's face. "He looked happy, too."

"Really?" 

"Yeah, really."


Taking a deep breath, Luhan steels himself as he pushes open the door to the cafe. Exam week had just ended - and that meant he hadn't gone to the cafe for about six days in a row, and his caffeine-addicted (more like cute pianist-addicted) body was craving for the delicious coffee Kris makes so much that he felt he would faint right there and then in the doorway when the aroma of coffee beans waft out to greet him.

"Whoa, there," A gentle voice greets him, making him look up in surprise at the unfamiliar yet so familiar voice, only to stare in shock at the cute pianist he's been pining after ever since the incident. "You okay?"

Sehun just manages to keep his polite grin in check - the minute he'd seen the blonde through the glass panel, it'd blown up into a huge smile (according to Kris, anyway). He gently lifts the male upright and smiles at him.

"Been a while since I've seen you come in," He tells Luhan, who stands there in shock with his mouth wide agape because damn it, the cute pianist he's been pining after all this while is talking to him- "Something wrong?"

Holy , he recognizes me, Luhan thinks to himself as he tries to regain his composure. "N-no, everything's fine... Just.. You know, exams week and all."

The taller male just smiles and nods in understanding before guiding him to the countertop, tapping the register that the giant blonde was sleeping on. "Kris. Your loyal customer is here."

Said blonde jerks up with a snort, "Is it Joonmyun?"

"No," Sehun answers with a roll of his eyes. "It's the other one. His friend."

"Oh. Luhan, nice to see you again," Kris gives a smile showing off his wide gums. "How were the exams? Is Joonmyun with you?"

"Ah, they were fine," The blonde smiles up at Kris, resting his arms on the countertop. "Joonmyun has one last exam today, so he'll probably drop by later."

"I'll leave you two to talk," Sehun mutters before walking away to his piano, ready to fulfill the written song requests in the jar.


Sehun digs one piece of paper out, unfolding it. 

Hello, handsome. 

He digs out another, smiling to himself.

Would you play me a song?

Yet another slip of paper is taken out from the jar.

It's called 'I'm Yours', and it's for you! 

Raising his eyebrows at the sudden song dedication, Sehun seats himself on his stool and rests his fingers on ivory keys. Calmly, he takes a deep breath and begins playing an instrumental version of the song. To be quite honest, Sehun had never been one to sing - he'd mainly harmonize every time he went out with Kris and Joonmyun to their karaoke sessions, because Kris would rap and Joonmyun would sing. 

While playing, his eyes wander over to his cousin, where he wonders if the blonde actually remembered the plan.

"So, Luhan," Kris began as the blonde stares blatantly at Sehun as he plays the piano. "Wanna slip more notes inside that jar?"

"My notebooks are all out of paper!" Luhan starts to whine without turning to look at Kris. "And Joonmyun won't give me any more because he thinks it's a stupid idea."

"Well, it's quite the unique idea," Kris chuckles deeply before pulling out his notepad. "Here, I'll spare you five pieces of this, and no more. Go ask the boy out or something."


The next day comes with a bright sunrise that Luhan doesn't appreciate at 6AM in the morning, and he protests against it by slamming his pillow over his face and groaning out syllables that sounded something like "Joonmyun, close the blinds". Unfortunately for the drowsy blonde, his friend wasn't in, and he had to wake up at least four hours earlier than his intended time just to shut the stupid blinds.

Sitting himself upright on his bed, he yawns as he tries to fix his mess of a hair before his thoughts begin to wander to a certain male with silver hair. I wonder if he's read the notes yet, he thinks to himself. Will he wonder who wrote them? Will he ask Kris?

Luhan had left the cafe the day before after handing Kris the five notes, which read: 

I think I've left enough hints

And I just really want to say

I've liked you all this while

So don't find this creepy

But Saturday night at the cafe, after your shift ends?

It certainly couldn't get any more cheesier than that, Luhan had to admit. 


Saturday rolls by faster than Luhan can imagine, and he stands in front of Joonmyun, feeling anxious and flighty like a nervous wreck. He fidgets, adjusts his collar, fidgets again, and goes back to adjusting his collar. Joonmyun was this close to strangling him with said collar, and that would be no fun at all - because everybody knows how much strength Joonmyun has.

"You look fine," The brunette snapped at him at last. "Stop fiddling with your collar!"

"I can't help it!" Luhan whines loudly, close to stomping his feet like a five year old. "I'm too nervous!"

"Well, it's your fault for even listening to Kris," Joonmyun rolls his eyes at the blonde. "It's about time, let's go."

He gets dragged out of the house by Joonmyun, palms sweaty and hair almost stuck to his forehead. They reach the cafe in a matter of minutes, where a silhouette is waiting outside the curved shelter. With a quiet greeting to the person, and a curt nod and thumbs up to Luhan, Joonmyun disappears inside to find his boyfriend. Luhan is left alone... 

... with Sehun.

"So..." Sehun begins, drawling out the word as he thumbs the hem of his pockets. 

"So," Luhan squeaks nervously, worrying his bottom lip with his teeth. "Um. Yeah."

"It took you long enough."

Luhan snaps his head up at that. "What?"

"I said," Sehun bends down to speak right into the blonde's ear. "It took you long enough, Mr. Leave Cheesy Notes in the Jar."

A bright, firetruck-engine red settles over Luhan's pale cheeks. "I-I!" 

"You know what I liked though?" Sehun continued, his breath tickling the shell of Luhan's sensitive ear. "That you broke the norm. So hey, I thought, why not break a norm too?"

Before Luhan can say a word, soft lips descend upon his - once, twice, thrice, and they linger there even as Sehun pulls away.

"You're mine now."


word vomit.

did anybody get what sehun broke the norm for-

asking the person out. 

so cheesy i cannot ok. 

goodbye.

i have no regret for this.... trash??????

ahahahaha.