My Promises

My Precious One

I didn’t expect this to happen.

Yes, I knew it was dangerous to come into enemy territory. But I didn’t think I would be caught so easily, so fast.

And I definitely didn’t expect the man sent to interrogate me.

He was young and tall, no surprise there. But he was charming and from miles away one could see that he was also a gentleman. He probably kissed the knuckles of his conquests, perhaps he help old ladies cross the road and carried any bags they might have trouble with. He was charismatic, attractive, and so very annoying. Especially his smile.

“So, are you going to tell me who sent you, mm?”

I had remained quiet for every single question he asked and I was not about to stoop to his level and answer. So I narrowed my eyes in response. He sighed. “Please don’t make me mark your beautiful skin. I don’t want to harm you, love.”

“I am not your love.” I hissed, fighting with the rope tying my hands together.

He smiled, probably satisfied that he could finally make me talk. I struggled even more against my biddings when I noticed his fingers creeping closer to my face. 

“Perhaps...are you here...” his hand cupped my jaw with gentle, yet firm, fingers. I was about to jerk away from his hold when –

“Did they send you to look for Kim Heechul?”


My Promises  

 

“It’s her. It’s her, isn’t? The girl from six years ago. It’s her.”

After the call, they moved to Kangin’s studio, which seemed to be the popular placed to be lately. Kangin had called his men working for him with the police and sent Kyuhyun’s cellphone for them to inspect. If they could locate from where the girl had been calling, then maybe they had a shot at finding out where Suho was.

Kangin was in his seat, waiting for a call from his men. Siwon and Heechul were leaning against his desk, facing Kyuhyun and Changmin, who were sitting side by side in one the leather couches. Leeteuk had gone to the kitchen to make some coffee.

Siwon nods. “Yes, it is her. Hosokaya Aiko.”

Changmin tilts his head. “Your fiancée? I thought she was dead.”

“We all thought she was.” Heechul snaps. “But it seems she played us for fools. Tell me Siwon, are you sure your current fiancee is not some psycho that escaped from the psychiatry ward?”

The smile about to curve Kyuhyun’s lips doesn’t reach its destination when he notices the anger in Siwon’s eyes. “Heechul, I would prefer if you kept your comments to yourself. She is not at fault here.”

Kyuhyun looks away, annoyed with Ariel Lin for existing, irritated with Heechul for even mentioning her, angry with Siwon for defending her, enraged with himself for even caring about the way Siwon seems protective of her. It shouldn’t matter to him because they are not together, they are divorced and Suho is the only reason why they are even in the same room in this moment. He shouldn’t care.

But he still seeks comfort by leaning against Changmin, whose hand finds his hip and squeezes gently without saying a word.  

“When was the last time that you saw her?” asks Kangin, eyes focused in Siwon to distract everyone from looking at his youngest child who is ing breaking apart meters away from him. It’s so obvious, the emotions that Kyuhyun is going through. And Kangin hates it, he hates being there to witness his child suffer at the hands of his enemy without being able to do anything about it. He wants to torture Siwon in the worst way possible, to make him suffer and writhe in pain, to make him beg for mercy and kneel...

But the only way to make Choi Siwon swallow his pride and kneel to beg for the pain to stop would be by hurting Kyuhyun and Suho. And that he cannot do, for obvious reasons. So he looks away from Kyuhyun and clenches his hands in fists.

Siwon frowns and looks down, trying to remember. “Six years ago, when she tried to harm Kyu and Suho. I remember leaving her in the factory by herself. She should have died in the fire.”

Kyuhyun nods, his eyes focused on the sun-kissed palm holding his pale one. “Her ankle was broken, so we didn’t think she could make it. We ourselves almost didn’t make it out alive.”

“Were you together for a long time?” Changmin asks.

And Kyuhyun wants him to stop, he doesn’t want to listen about the many conquests Siwon has ed before. He has enough knowing that he is engaged. Kyuhyun can barely live with the knowledge that Siwon moved on after he left him on his own, taking their son with him.

Siwon shakes his head. “Not really. Well...” he hesitates, which they all notice. “I suppose we were, in a way.”

“What do you mean “in a way?” You are either together or you weren’t. Speak clearly.” Demands Heechul with narrowed eyes. Siwon huffs, annoyed.

“We were promised to each other. An arranged marriage since we were kids. But we only met when I was about sixteen-years-old. From what I remember, she was a few years younger.” He shrugs.

“But you were never really together. There wasn’t anything between you two.” says Changmin and when Siwon nods, he continues. “Then why was she so jealous of Kyuhyun? Why would she take your son, years later? What really happened?”

Kyuhyun frowns. “You all know what happened. I have told you everything. She led me to that abandoned factory and tried to kill me, knowing I was pregnant. Siwon got there in time and we got out before we burned to death.”

Siwon tilted his head, his eyes narrowed. “I’m trying to think of a reason why she would hate Kyuhyun so much to the point of killing him, but I can’t think of anything. Other than me breaking up the engagement, that is. Which doesn’t make sense, since we talked once or twice.”

Heechul snorted. “You underestimate women.”

They all turned to look at him. “From what I remember, you could charm any girl with just a look. And you were always good with words. Maybe you didn’t feel anything for her, but I think she was in love with you. That would explain why she tried to kill my brother and your unborn baby.” 

“But...kidnapping my son... it has been years. Why now? Why...” Kyuhyun turned to Changmin, his eyes lost. “My son has nothing to do with this. So why...?”

“You do crazy things for the person you love,” said Leeteuk, a tray in his hands. His smile was sad. “Even if that person doesn’t love you back.”

 

~.O.~.O.~

 

“How is Kyuhyun?”

Heechul sighed and rubbed his temples. “How any parent with a missing child would be. Desperate. Lost. In pain.” He looked up at the ceiling, trying to gather his thoughts. “And it’s worse for him, since Siwon is here.”

Even though he couldn’t see his lover, Heechul knew that Hangeng was nodding on the other side of the line. “Ah, yes. Their relationship is very difficult.”

“I just don’t understand why the brat left Siwon, if he loves him so much. Everyone can see that he is dying, and not only because of Suho. Heck, even the old man knows.”

Hangeng hummed. “They will find their way back to each other.”

Heechul snorted in return. “I know they will. But knowing Kyuhyun, it’s going to be a long time before it happens.”

“Funny. Kyuhyun said the same thing about you, years ago.”

 

~.O.~.O.~

 

“Hello.”

Sooyoung looked up from the list in her hands, a smile finding its way to her lips.

“Good morning, how can I help you– ” she froze for a second when she noticed the woman in front of her.

Sooyoung recognized her sweet face from magazines she sometimes flipped through in her free time. She recognized the smile in her face from the newspaper that announced the news, as well as the modest diamond ring on her left hand. What Sooyoung recognized the most the scent of daisies and wood surrounding her –it was, after all, a scent that would often cling to her boss.

“Miss Lin.”  

Another smile, sweet and radiant and Sooyoung could understand why Siwon had moved on from Cho Kyuhyun. This small woman was impossibly beautiful.


Super short chapter, I know.

Can you tell what are the promises?

And whose?