Red Dagger Eyes

The Beauties and The Beasts; EXO Mafia

Word Count: 991

Tao stands guard outside of the little room, stiller than a tiger hunting. His gaze is fixed ahead; his ears are sharp to listen to noises; his breathing is soft and shallow, as to not disturb the world around him; his muscles are tensed but not sore and his jaw is set in a straight line. The assassin blends into the gray walls around him, just another picture on the wall.

His ears perk up at the sound of someone spitting inside the small room, Chen must be at it again. Tao can’t help but smile slightly; he quite likes this Rose girl. She’s very stubborn and it’s not bad that she’s nice to look at. Chen’s been trying to get information from her for the past few days but unfortunately, the only thing that girl new how to do was to push Chen to the breaking point. Yesterday, Chen even came out angry, something very unlike the Abductor.

“Are you serious!?!” Tao hears some yelling coming from inside followed by another juicy, spitting sound. Not too soon afterwards, Chen throws open the door, nearly hitting Tao in the face who calmly blocks the blow with his forearm. The angry wolf wipes his eyes: it seems as if Rose had spit in his face…again. “That little .” Tao chuckles at Chen’s foul language, causing the wolf to threateningly raise his hand towards the assassin.

Tao’s voice is low and smooth but not too loud, the world is listening, “Give it up, she obviously won’t say anything.”

Chen fixes his blazer, trying to calm down his perfectly acceptable anger. “Just go, I’ll take over.” Tao shakes his head, this is his job, he doesn’t have anything else to do and staying still makes him agitated. Well, staying still with nothing to do does. “Go before I tell Kris who took the extra cash.” This has the assassin scurrying out of the corridor to let Chen lean comfortable against the door.

As for that extra cash, Tao just desperately wanted that new knife set; a good thousand dollar investment. He tried to talk Kris into buying it for him, “It would improve my accuracy!” He pleaded but alas, Kris stated that Tao better be happy with the knife set that he had gotten last month. “Yeah but the blades are dulling!” That caused Kris to angry take away those knives too. Tao shut up after that…well after taking the thousand from Kris’ safe. The assassin shrugs, Kris should know that Tao can break into any safe, it is part of his job as the killer wolf.

Tao puts his hand in his pocket and smiles happily when he finds enough money to buy something sweet; this assassin loves his sweets. He tightens his dark scarf over his mouth, he doesn’t feel like standing out today. With his lean body, dark clothes and presence, it’s a little difficult for the wolf to blend in and yet he manages somehow.

He makes his way through the crowd, easily moving past people like a whisper not meant to be heard. There’s this tiny bakery he goes to when he has the chance. Hey, even deadly assassin’s want donuts sometimes.  It is a little hidden from the public, just how he likes it. A couple of turns later, he stands on a quiet street where a tiny bakery’s light is the only thing that illuminates the on-coming night. Tao removes the scarf from around his mouth and breathes out; he’s letting the world notice him. There’s no one to notice and yet he stands, feeling slightly vulnerable.

Walking into the bakery feels slightly nostalgic as he searches for the familiar old lady’s face. “Ajumma?” Tao’s voice has become friendly, something unheard of in a trained killer.

A young girl pokes her head out from the back, her brown hair falling out of her ponytail. Her skin glows lightly in the warm room, “I’m not an ajumma but I can help.”

Tao bows slightly in apology, “S-sorry, I expected the other woman to be here…I-I will…ah…” His voice fails, he may be good with a weapon but when it comes to speaking, he’s less than an expert.

She moves out to the cashier, “What do you want?”

“Your name.” He blurts it out before he can stop himself, causing him to dig his face into his scarf, “I-I mean, why isn’t the ajumma here…”

The girl’s eyes narrow slightly but she remains calm, “She’s sick right now but, like I said, I can help.”

“The frosted…donut…with the sprinkles…uhm…”

“Is that all?” She asks him as she punches in the numbers.

“No…” She hands over the donut, trading for the change Tao carries. “Thank you…” The wolf turns to leave but turns back around quickly, “Will Ajumma be alright?”

The girl shrugs, “Don’t know, I’m just filling in.”

“Can you tell her to rest and stay healthy, for me?”

Once again, the girl sighs, “Alright.”

“Th-thanks…” He takes a bite of the donut, showing his delight with a soft moan, “This is delicious! Tell her that her donuts are getting better and better!”

For the first time since Tao came in, the girl smiles, “I made that batch~ Oh, my names Amy!”

“Ehhh!?” Tao chuckles lightly, “Amy, it’s really good…I’ll have to come back for more!” He bows once again, exiting with light footing. He smiles happily as he chews on his bite of delicious, fresh donut. His bliss, however, is ruined as he notices a particular target walking quite nervously with an interesting looking package under one arm. Tao’s eyes instantly turn into killers eyes, in the night his assassin shines the brightest.

He deposits the rest of the donut in the nearest trash as he pulls up the scarf around his neck again. His eyes glint dangerously as he sniffs out his prey, the donut and pretty girl quickly forgotten in his moment of darkness.