Matters

The Roommate

Nothing much happened in the rest of the week. Chunji was really doing his best to capture Jiyoon’s heart, which didn’t really get noticed by the girl. Chunji’s attempts were indeed making her feel awkward at first. But as time went by, she took it not much than a flirt could shoot. The sleepyhead duo kept oversleeping in the common room sometimes, caused by the gamer duo's loudness in their room, again.

Meanwhile the maknae kept drowning into his own thoughts and problems. He drifted away from the pack everytime they went for a walk. When the others were enjoying themselves in the hostel, he usually made his way out silently. Just to sit in a random park or food stall with his troubled thoughts. Thinking of his burdened life others had no idea about.

His hyungs didn’t know about the problems he had been having inside him. At all. They always thought the maknae was just born to be all gloomy and moody. They never asked further because they thought he really was that kind of person. But he wasn’t.

He had thousands of unspoken words in his mind. He never could speak it since his hyungs never asked for it even once. That’s what made him easily bursted his anger out from the frustration he got for being quiet. His another problem was that he wasn’t that type of person who easily spoke his heart out without being asked for. He worried that others didn’t really listen to it, not really giving a damn about his problems to be exact.

Despite all the family matters he got, there’s another thing which had been bugging his mind lately. The thing his hyungs had experienced a lot, but not for him. Love.

He wasn’t actually sure what it actually felt like. But from what people would say about his feelings that time, they would say it’s love. He knew nothing about love. Completely nothing. He barely dated before. He did meet a lot of interesting girls, but everytime they knew about his background, bam. It’s all about the money. They didn’t love him for being him. They’re just going after his money.

That’s why he always spent his time with his best friends. His best hyungs. Born to be the only filthy rich in his group, not changing any single thing on him, nor his hyungs. Wealth was nothing for them, although Changjo was sometimes being damn generous on them. But it was all his own will. He thought he needed to pay off his sins for disobediencing his hyungs by treats since he wasn’t that good with words. No matter how his hyungs rejected his offers, he would still do it in the end.

Back to the love matters. He really thought he had fallen for her. But again, the problems inside him made it harder. Moreover, he had to go over his hyung that time. One of his hyung he loved, no matter how often he was being a jerk or a flirt. From what he saw, the other hyungs didn’t really give a damn about Chunji’s effort for Jiyoon. Well, they never gave a damn about each other’s love life although they would gladly help if they were asked to.

Of course it had been obvious for them. Chunji wasn’t just being the mega flirt Lee Chanhee as usual. Yeah, he was at first. But he really fell for her. Chunji’s mega flirt title burdened Changjo more. Like he could ever compete him with lack of experience he had.

It was Changjo’s first time. His first time, first will, to get his love interest seriously. It’s such a stupid joke for him though. It’s kind of difficult for him just to exchange greetings with Jiyoon. No matter how often they bumped into each other around, his nature made him moved his gaze away from her, pretending not to see her. That stupid acts of him forced the girl to do the same thing. The clueless girl really thought there’s no way to completely make up with him, like she really got on his nerves.

Jiyoon had been hanging out with the hyungs lately. Well, I’m with her too all the time. Technically. It’s narrowing his space to make his first move. With that flirty hyung by her side all the time, with Ricky also sticking by my side, ready to witness everything happened. Niel hyung’s sense could made it worse since he really knew I rarely made any interactions with Jiyoon and he’s quite close to her to be added. And…just forget the two other hyungs. They’re sleeping anyway.

******

“Jiyoon-ah, coming with us tonight?” Chunji plumped himself beside Jiyoon on the common room’s couch.

“Where to?” Jiyoon turned her head slightly to Chunji while her fingers were still running here and there on her laptop’s keyboard.

“The firework festival. The others are going too. Coming, right?”

Jiyoon puffed her cheek, pouting. Her face was slightly turning pale.

“Why?” Chunji frowned, questioning the sudden change on her.

“Uh…actually I…kind of have this phobia on fireworks.” She bit her lip, showing her guilty grin.

“Really? How bad is it?”

“I do love seeing fireworks, but the explosions were just -” she shivered, remembering the scenes.

“I really want you to come with us, it’s the most beautiful firework festival! The others and I went there last year. Uhm..would earplug do any help?” high hopes were coloring Chunji’s face up.

Jiyoon shrugged. “I don’t know, I haven’t tried it before.”

“Would you give it a shot? Well, it’s okay though if you insist to stay. But I….I really want to see it with you this year.” Chunji smiled sheepishly while his hand was rubbing the back of his neck, trying to shrug the awkwardness off.

“Is it far from here?” Jiyoon started considering, somehow pitying on him.

“15 to 20 minutes trip.”

“Fine. I’ll go.” Jiyoon smiled.

The fireworks exploded earlier inside Chunji to her answer. “Are you sure?” Jiyoon nodded at him. “Well, it would be really great! And don’t worry, I’ll stick with you there in case anything happen to you. I’ll be the one responsible.” Chunji showed his widest grin, walking backward towards the hallway. “So, we’ll depart at 9.” He winked at Jiyoon before dashing off to the room.

Jiyoon shook her head on his actions, smiling awkwardly to herself. He’s weird.

******

Chunji landed himself beside L.Joe who was sleeping on his own bed. He peeked up first to make sure that Niel and Ricky were still drowned into their games. Changjo was taking a shower while CAP was nowhere to be seen, probably hunting for a snack.

L.Joe growled under his breath, cursing on Chunji’s disturbance. “You have to know what just happened,” Chunji whispered to L.Joe.

“Gah! Chanhee! I don’t give a damn on what you’re doing! Stop disturbing me!” L.Joe’s voice was half pent since his face were buried on his pillow.

“It’s about Jiyoon, damn it.” Chunji slapped L.Joe’s head.

L.Joe jerked up right away, sitting cross legged, ready to listen on whatever Chunji’s saying. Chunji had told L.Joe about his feelings on Jiyoon. He bribed L.Joe on it of course for his sake. “She’s scared of fireworks. I persuaded her to come, she agreed in the end,” Chunji explained in a whisper.

“Good then.” L.Joe nodded his head.

Chunji chuckled lowly, “My words went stronger today. I spiced it up a bit with my sweet words.” He ruffled his own hair, blushing just to remember it. “I said I’ll stick by her side and be the one responsible if something happened to her because of the fireworks.”

L.Joe hissed. “Geez! The mega flirt title actually doesn’t fit you! Can’t you be more cheesy than that?” he rolled his eyes.

“Shut up! It’s really hard to flirt on someone you like for real!” Chunji smacked L.Joe with the pillow.

‘”Ya! Ya! Why so noisy down there?!” Niel yelled from his bed.

Chunji eyed L.Joe, worried that Niel or Ricky or both, the worst, heard their talk. “I’m waking L.Joe up!” Chunji yelled back. “And I have waken up!” L.Joe added.

Ricky hissed with his eyes still pinned on his phone’s screen. “Weird hyungs.”

L.Joe slapped Chunji’s as Chunji got up and climbed to the upper bed. “Good luck.”

******

“Here. It’s brand new, don’t worry. I won’t give you my worn ones.” Chunji passed the earplug case to Jiyoon.

“You really have it with you? I thought I have to buy it first!” Jiyoon slipped it into her pocket with the amazed expression on her face.

Chunji grinned. I did buy it first.

The seven of them were walking down the packed narrow street to the park the boys had mentioned before. Jiyoon pulled up her camera which had been swinging across her body. She took a few shots of the warm surroundings. People chatting and laughing in the nearby food stalls, living their well lit world by taking a few drinks with either friends, families, or maybe lovers. Jiyoon was unconsciously smiling at herself in the bright mood she got from being there.

“Jiyoon-ah! Hyungs! Over here!” Niel, Ricky, and Changjo waved from afar. The maknae line had already taken the spot for them all by speeding up there earlier. They sat down on the grass. Jiyoon was busy scanning around the place since it’s her very first time going there.

CAP poked her arm. “You’re really lucky, Jiyoon-ah. We got the best spot today.” Jiyoon turned her head to CAP with a confused look.

“Woah really?” CAP nodded vigorously, as well as the others.

“The spot we got last year was…ugh.” Ricky rolled his eyes.

“We came here late because we had to struggle waking up these sleepyhead hyungs first,” Niel explained, getting bashed by CAP and L.Joe.

Jiyoon’s instinct made her getting up from her seat, moving around a bit to shoot the beautiful night scenery. “Guys!” she was aiming her camera lens on the six confused guys who were then moving in a flash in their very own formation. “1! 2! 3!” Jiyoon made a sign using her other hand since she wasn’t sure if her voice could be heard clearly. She had a look on the preview screen and smiled. “It turned out well! Once again!” the guys were then scattered around, changing formation and striked their silliest pose. “1! 2! 3!” Jiyoon couldn’t help to laugh when she looked at the preview screen again.

“Jiyoon-ah! Let’s take turn! Come here and I’ll take the pic of you with the others!” L.Joe offered with a shout.

Jiyoon waved her hand, rejecting right away. “No need! I’m well trained!” she was then turning her body, facing her back to the guys, and turned the camera to face her and the guys as well. “Ready?!” she shouted, making sure. She started counting after hearing a chorus from the rest, shooting three times in a row.

“Ppali come here!!” Chunji yelled right after.

Jiyoon jogged back and slumped herself in the middle. The guys were swarming around her, curiously having a look on the pictures. “I want to have a pic with you!” Ricky suddenly demanded on Jiyoon. “Me too!” Niel followed. “Move out you two! I’m going first!” Chunji barged into the talk.

“Shut up, kiddos! Age order will do!” CAP scooted over to Jiyoon out of the blue, getting booed by his dongsaengs. The blunt Jiyoon chuckled on his childishness. “Ya, stop laughing. Ppali!” CAP elbowed her, joking.

“Yes, sir!” They shot two photos of them together.

The age order really did. The others were then followed the order to take pics with her. But what they didn’t realize was that Changjo was the last person and either Jiyoon and the hyungs had no idea how he would react since he had been quiet from the selcas’ quarrel. “Ah Jiyoon-ah! Mine didn’t come out well! May I get another chance?” Ricky whined.

“Andwae!” CAP answered right away, dragging the pouting boy away by grasping his collar. “Maknae, go!” CAP cluelessly ordered.

All of their eyes were pinned on Changjo who was startled by CAP’s words. Their silence between the noisy surroundings crept Jiyoon up again, worrying about how Changjo would react. Changjo was scanning his hyungs faces one by one, clearly hesitating. But then he scooted closer to Jiyoon, getting the girl’s eyes widened in shock. Changjo was just sitting silently beside her.

Jiyoon put up her camera while trying her best to regain her senses back. “Okay. 1, 2-“ her arms went limp in a sudden, causing her arms to fell. Changjo’s sensitive reflex made him caught the camera which was still in Jiyoon’s hand. So, he actually caught her hand. Fortunately, the rest saw it as Changjo catching Jiyoon’s camera. The others gasped, half worried for both Jiyoon and her camera. Changjo and Jiyoon couldn’t help to blush under the dim light. “I’m okay, guys!” Jiyoon told the others to ease their worries before turning to Changjo again. “Sorry, my bad. Okay. 1, 2, 3,” she said in a whisper. Jiyoon and Changjo were just smiling half heartedly in the pic.

“What the heck was that! Like really, Changjo-ssi? Where has that selca master gone? Aish!” L.Joe scoffed, Changjo was thick skinned enough that moment not to budge on his tease. “That , man!” CAP joined. “You’re not fun enough, dude!” Ricky added.

“Fine!” Changjo accepted the challenge, irritated. They were laughing happily on the awkwardness between Jiyoon and Changjo.

“Ready? 1, 2, 3.” Jiyoon pushed the shutter button again. In the pic, Jiyoon was still smiling awkwardly while Changjo progressed by making a peace sign, smiling too.

“Jiyoon-ah! Go silly for once!!” Niel demanded. “And Changjo-ssi once again what was that?!” Ricky really did his best to for not apologizing to Jiyoon before. “Take another one!” Chunji told, he didn’t have any suspicions on the maknae whose heart was beating third times faster.

Jiyoon rolled her eyes before putting her camera up in front of her and Changjo again. She counted again lazily with Changjo’s and her eyes focused on the lens and snapped the photo. The small crowd went wild right after Jiyoon took the pic. “W-what’s happening?” Jiyoon confusedly glanced around. Changjo was as blunt as Jiyoon, hanging his jaw open. The two clearly had no idea what’s going on.

“That was e to the pic!” L.Joe emphasized. “Ya! Take a look at the pic!!” Niel shouted.

Jiyoon gulped and Changjo went stiff. Their eyes widened as they looked on the preview screen. The two of them were having the same exact pose. They were clenching their eyes shut, pouting, while their fingers made the peace sign. The others were still bursting their laughter out while the two stayed frozen. “We….we really didn’t match our pose. Really!” Jiyoon stuttered, half panicking what to do.

“It’s funny how you two were just grinning awkwardly to the camera and then changed the pose together just right before the shutter snapped! To the same damn pose!” CAP was literally rolling on the grass, dying from his laughter.

“That was totally won our photo of the year award!” Ricky laughed his lungs out, happy on his successful revenge. “Our maknaes got the chemistry, everyone!” Chunji ruffled Jiyoon’s hair.

“Ya! That wasn’t funny at all!” Changjo snarled, eyeing his hyungs jokingly.

“But that’s funny to us, Changjo-ssi,” L.Joe replied, irritating him more.

They spent the time waiting for the midnight fireworks show just like that. Joking, taking photos, and to add, eating the snacks that were bought by Ricky the glutton pig. “It’s soon starting!” Niel excitedly shouted his own conclusion as he saw some people stopped interacting and started shifting here and there, finding their best position to watch the fireworks.

“Oh my God, oh my God,” Jiyoon mumbled, taking out the earplugs Chunji gave to her from her pocket.

“Plug them in, ppali!” Chunji told the panic girl.

“Shut up. I am,” she snarled back, focused on unpacking the brand new earplugs.

Their gazes moved to the night sky, waiting for the fireworks to start. Jiyoon had her hoodie up and put her hands on both of her ears to lessen the explosion’s banging sounds although she had plugged in the earplugs. She just didn’t have enough confidence to survive. It’s been a long time since the last time she watched fireworks before she later realized the phobia. “It will be okay.” Chunji smiled, patting her back soothingly.

Jiyoon was too scared to speak anymore, she just nodded slowly at him. It will be okay.