Soon, I Promise You

The Roommate

Changjo and Jiyoon checked out the hostel after having their last inhumane breakfast. With fully-packed backpack on their backs, they wandered through the alleys. A few hostels they found didn’t have any vacant rooms, forcing them to keep exploring the area more.

They had walked around for hours and the result was nil. Jiyoon’s hope was decreasing slowly. The image of her waiting for her flight in the airport, going home, appeared in her mind. She shook her head, shrugging it off. If Changjo didn’t push her to keep the spirit, both to walk and to stay, maybe she had really ended up at the airport.

The sun was right above their heads, burning them alive. They saved themselves by running into nearby convenience store to settle down for a moment. Jiyoon wiped her sweat as she took off her sunglasses; Changjo just got back from buying the drinks for them.

Jiyoon stared at him hopefully. “So?” she was fanning herself using the store’s brochure she took before, hoping it could shoo the heat away.

“Giving up already?” Changjo took a gulp of his drink. “Should we proceed to my plan B right away?” he was panting as he wiped his sweat. The heat outside was really no joke that day.

Jiyoon slammed herself onto the counter, half-hearted to give up. The disappointment made her staring blankly at the street through the glass. “Ya, have your drink first.” Changjo shoved a bottle of drink to her.

“Let me hear your plan B.” She left the bottle untouched and changed the topic instead. “I hope it’s useful,” she trailed off.

Changjo had another gulp of his drink before clearing his throat to start explaining. “So, there’s a hotel next block. But yeah, it’s a hotel, not a hostel. I don’t know if you’ve seen it before or not.” He shrugged.

Jiyoon sighed, “You don’t say. My remaining allowance won’t make it to stay in a hotel. That’s why I’m this frustrated.”

“I can use my card to pay for us. You can pay me later, or not, it’s fine. It’s better than going home early. You think I’m gonna give up and go home right away? Heck no,” he hissed.

Jiyoon puffed her cheek as she was considering his offer. “I can just go home without bothering you to pay for my stay here though.” She didn’t heart to let Changjo spent his money on her. Although they’re friends, they just met for weeks. That’s what made Jiyoon hesitating on his offer.

“Please, don’t go home. If you left too, it would be boring here since I’d be all alone. I’d rather pay for your stay than to buy a ticket to go back to Seoul.” Changjo half-begged her.

Jiyoon was melted a bit by Changjo’s words, pitying him somehow. “Why don’t you go after the boys to Osaka?” she tried to find another way to prevent Changjo from paying for her expense.

Changjo rolled his eyes. “I’ve told you I’m not going to another city either,” he hissed. “So? Please, I beg you. You want to stay too, right?” he lured her.

Jiyoon moved her gaze on her untouched drink. “Being honest I want to, but-“

“Come on, it’s all fine. Don’t mind it, really. Please?” Changjo did his best to persuade her. He wouldn’t let her went home before he got to finish his mission first. Jiyoon was staring at him in silence, biting her lower lip. “So? Give it a shot?” he smirked.

“I’m paying it back later, okay?” she gave in. Changjo just nodded to fake the agreement. He wouldn’t receive any money she gave to him later, if she really did. Jiyoon’s lips slowly formed a smile as she hopped off the stool. “Let’s go.”

They walked down the streets again, passing through the hell’s summer. Drops of sweat kept dripping down from their foreheads. The girl was busy fanning herself, still using the crumpled brochure, while turning to fan the boy beside her once in a while.

“A 4-stars hotel, Changjo-ssi, really?!” her eyes widened as she saw the hotel’s sign from afar. “You definitely my wallet!” she almost squealed.

Changjo chuckled at her sudden shouts, “I’ve told you not to mind it. It’s my plan so I’m responsible for it. Just shut up, okay?”

The cold breeze brushed their faces as they stepped into the hotel lobby, a bliss after being burnt outside. The receptionist stood up to greet them right away. “Good afternoon, how can I help you?” she smiled warmly.

“We need,” Changjo paused to glance at Jiyoon whom not getting what he looked at her for, “two rooms for probably a week or more.”

“I’m sorry, Sir. There’s only a room left since most of the rooms are already booked. This week is the summer holiday’s peak,” the receptionist explained with a sorry look on her face.

Changjo glanced at Jiyoon again. He would be undoubtedly glad to be her roommate for the second time, but he’s worried if she’d be bothered with it since it’s only the two of them. “Is it okay?” he asked. “We can search for another place if you want.”

“It’s up to you. But I think sharing room can compress our expenses a lot.” Jiyoon shrugged. “I’m fine with it. We’ve been roommates though,” she chuckled.

Changjo gave her a nod before turning to the receptionist whom waiting for their responds. “We’re taking it.” He nodded at the receptionist also, making sure. “Just wait there while I’m finishing the paper,” he told Jiyoon, referring to the lounge.

Jiyoon did what she was told. She plumped herself on the puffy couch before started examining the new surroundings like she always did. At the glance, she noticed a bellboy approached Changjo and tapped his shoulder. The two then were having a friendly talk, at least that’s how it looked like to her, while Changjo continued filling some required papers. Jiyoon leaned herself to her side, closed her exhausted eyes, and fell asleep in a split second.

“Jiyoon-ah?” Changjo carefully tapped her arm later. “Come on,” he told as she finally noticed him.

Jiyoon stood up wobbly. She’s gathering her bags when the bellboy stopped her. It’s still the same bellboy she saw talking with Changjo. “Let me.” He smiled widely at her. He took all of their stuffs, putting those on the trolley, before leading the way to their room.

“Oh, by the way, it’s Hiroshi.” Changjo introduced the bellboy to Jiyoon as they walked down the hallway. “And this is Jiyoon. She's my...friend.” He turned to introduce the opposite. Hiroshi and Jiyoon exchanged a slight bow with smiles on their faces.

Hiroshi stopped in front of their room, unlocking the door before started loading the bags into the room. “Thank you, Hiroshi.” Changjo tucked the tip into his uniform’s pocket.

“Have a nice stay here! Good afternoon.” Hiroshi bowed. He then dashed out the room, leaving Changjo and Jiyoon in a total silence.

Jiyoon walked further in the room with Changjo tailed behind her. Jiyoon threw herself on the bed, lying on her back, before letting out a long relieved sigh. Meanwhile, Changjo stopped dead on his track, staring at her in horror. “Jiyoon-ah.”

Jiyoon rose her head up a bit to see him. “What?” she asked cluelessly.

“I-it’s a double bed,” he stuttered. His gaze was pinned at the double bed Jiyoon was lying on. He blinked for a few times, like it could change the reality and split the bed into half, but then he changed his mind right away. Being honest, he did prefer the double bed.

Jiyoon laughed at him instead, “Then why? It’s all fine. What are you worrying about?”

“It’s just the two of us and you’re a girl.” Changjo couldn’t get straight to the point. His mind was messed up. Jiyoon raised her eyebrow, expecting the guy to continue. “I mean, I.. I’m worried if you’re bothered by this.”

“Why should I? It’s just you. I know you, I trust you. It’s okay to me,” she laughed again to ease the worries on his face. “Don’t worry.” She smiled as she jokingly kicked him.

Changjo smiled back at her before throwing himself beside her as well. He laughed hard inside him. Thinking back again, his fortune had been doing well lately. Chunji and Jiyoon weren’t real, the hyungs left him with her, hung out with her for the last few days, and then he’s trapped in a double bedded room with her until they didn’t know when. The fact that the girl was feeling all okay to be in the same bed with him had blown him farther.

Changjo stole a glance at Jiyoon. She had already fallen asleep.

Changjo smiled proudly at himself. He had done well. His plan worked, although being in a double bedded room wasn’t a part of his plan, but he’s happy anyway. He didn’t waste his money for nothing, he made her stay with him.

Changjo carefully shifted closer to the girl. He leaned in and kissed her head.

Soon, I promise you.

******

“Ya! Changjo-ya!”

Changjo felt his body was being shook. He opened his eyes slowly just to find Jiyoon right in front of his face, still shaking his body. “What?” he mumbled before turning his body to the opposite side, burying his embarrassed face onto his pillow while pulling the blanket up to his head.

“Wake up you lazy bastard!” she shook his body roughly, trying her best to snatch the blanket which she failed in the end. “You’ve slept for 6 damn hours!”

Changjo growled lowly from under the blanket. “Then what’s your problem? I rarely have a nap! I'm not CAP hyung nor L.Joe hyung!” he snarled back, revealing his face by flipping out the blanket a bit, before hiding himself under it again.

“That’s not even a nap!” Jiyoon smacked his back. “I’m hungry,” she whined. “Let’s go out for dinner, hurry get up!” she shook his body again, slower that time since she’s losing her strength.

“I’m tired. I’m not going,” replied Changjo coldly.

Jiyoon rolled her eyes although it’s useless since Changjo wasn’t looking at her. “Then I just stupidly waited an hour for you to wake up. Haish! I should’ve just left you. I thought you still need dinner,” she muttered while getting off the bed. “I’m going out then, bye.”

“Ya! Who said I don’t need dinner?!” Changjo flipped aside the blanket and shouted at her.

Jiyoon turned to eye him. “I’m not buying you food.”

The girl just slipped her feet into her shoes when she felt a pillow landed harshly on her back. Cursing, she glared at the culprit. “Stay,” ordered Changjo. He already sat up on the bed, glaring back at her.

“Damn it Changjo, I’m hungry!” Jiyoon grabbed the pillow and smacked him back.

Changjo hissed. “Just call the restaurant downstairs and have it delivered here!”

“You forced me to stay in a 4-stars hotel and now you’re forcing me to pay its unreasonably expensive meals. Well done, Changjo. Well done.” Jiyoon rolled her eyes again as she quipped.

“Who asked you to pay?” Changjo laughed at her irritated face. “Since I’m too tired to go out tonight, let’s just have dinner here. My treat,” explained him.

“Stop wasting your bucks, rich man. We can buy cheaper food,” told Jiyoon. “Fine. You just rest here and I’ll go out and buy dinner for us.” She turned around on her heels and walked to the door.

“Kim Jiyoon, I demand you to stop and listen to me now.” Changjo threatened as he hurriedly hopped off the bed to go after her. The girl did stop, but she didn’t turn her body. Changjo was then standing in front of her, blocking her way by leaning against the door she’s about to open before. “Just stay here. Read the menu thoroughly and order anything you want.” Jiyoon opened halfway to speak but Changjo cut her off faster. “And no protesting,” he added.

“The price of a meal here is equal up to three or four meals outside!” Jiyoon completely ignored his warning. “I’m going out by myself, it’s okay. I’m buying yours also, don’t worry. Now get out of my way, Changjo-ssi.”

Changjo held her hand, pulling her slowly to the couch. He sat her there before he did the same beside her. “Just call a delivery service. I’ll ask Hiroshi to get it here from the lobby,” he answered her confused face. “Still unsatisfied?”

******

“So, who’s Hiroshi actually? You two seem quite close, I saw you talked to him back at the receptionist.” Jiyoon asked as she unpacked the meals Hiroshi had just brought to their room. She was sitting cross-legged on the couch with Changjo beside her who was unpacking his meal as well.

Changjo stayed silent for a moment, hesitating whether he should tell her the truth or not. “I’ve stayed here before. He was the bellboy who helped me,” he answered shortly.

Jiyoon frowned at his answer, somehow suspicious on his sudden weird gestures. “Then you two become friends? That’s all?” she digged.

“He helped me around a lot and since he’s around my age so yeah we became friends,” he explained a bit more.

Their talk ended by that. The two were pretending to be busy eating while actually they pulled theirselves away from the conversation because of the sudden awkwardness around them. The changes on his gestures made Jiyoon doubting his answer before. The guy himself was feeling guilty to just reveal a bit of the truth to Jiyoon. Later, he promised.

Jiyoon lay herself on the couch after cleaning up their mess, watching a movie on the TV; Changjo decided to take a refreshing shower, having some moments to think about everything he’s facing sooner or later. It didn’t take long for Jiyoon to fall asleep on the couch, leaving the TV on with nobody’s watching. Changjo walked out the bathroom, staring at Jiyoon for a moment before realizing she already fell asleep again. He tiptoed closer to her, making sure that she’s asleep for real.

Changjo grabbed his phone, typing a text as fast as he could. He threw his phone back on the bed and brushed his hair while waiting for the further notice. His phone vibrated five minutes later. He checked his phone to make sure before tiptoeing out the room.

“So, what is it?” Hiroshi asked as soon as he saw Changjo coming out of his room.

Changjo dragged him down the hallway without answering him first. He stopped around the corner, peeking back to his door, making sure that they weren’t visible if Jiyoon suddenly went out from their room. “If Jiyoon, the girl who’s with me, come to you and ask how did we know each other, what would your answer be?” he spluttered.

Hiroshi was flustered a bit by his question. “Uh, I’ll probably tell her that we knew each other during your stay here before and I…kinda helped you?” he raised his eyebrow, doubting his own answer.

“Good.” Changjo smirked, satisfied to know that Hiroshi’s mind was in line with his. “Don’t ever tell her how I ended up here before,” he told.

Hiroshi frowned, not getting the whole idea of his demand. “Which part do you mean?”

“That I came here black and blue because I broke into a fight,” Changjo said. “And also that you helped me because I couldn’t do anything properly that time.”

Hiroshi reflexively chuckled which he stopped right away when he noticed Changjo was eyeing him. “I mean, why should I have to lie about it? Girls love badass men,” he couldn’t help to chuckle again. “About the second part, it’s definitely uncool. I’ll lie about that part.”

Changjo hissed. “It’s not about it. I’m telling her the truth, but not now. Just in case she digs up about our friendship before I tell her the truth, I want you to lie. Just in case. Because she just asked me about it and I just told her exactly like your first answer just now,” he explained.

Hiroshi nodded in understanding. “Don’t worry, count on me like you did before.” He grinned at Changjo. “Just tell me when you’ve already told her the truth.”

“Thank you, I really thank you.” Changjo squeezed him in a tight hug.

Hiroshi tried to get away from his hug. “So, she’s not just a friend of you, am I right?” he elbowed Changjo jokingly. Changjo just chuckled at his question. “You’re caught there, man.”

Changjo dashed back to his room before getting teased more by his friend. “Bye, Hiroshi!”

 


A/N:

There's no comment at all on the previous chap! Omg come on dear, leave some :-(

Here's a celebration gift since this fic has reached 2k views! I'm so kind, aren't I?

Welcome new subscribers! ^^

And the last, I hope you enjoy this update. Thank you! *hugs*