Drive Home

The Roommate

“Hyung?” questioned the guy before he turned around on his heels and got his jaw dropped at the sight he’s witnessing. Fortunately, he still got a proper grip on his cup so that it didn’t break to pieces.

On the other side, Jiyoon’s heart sank deep as he spoke. It’s the voice she’s been longing for—the voice which kept teasing her in her nightmares, at the same time the only voice she wanted to hear 24/7 even if it’s an angry yell at her. opened slightly as she wanted to speak, but nothing came out. Her tongue suddenly got thousands of bones in it that it felt so heavy for her, just simply because there were too many things she wanted to ask and tell yet she had no idea where she should start.

The mixed feelings ate her up that she didn’t know how she should feel about him at the moment. She wanted to storm at him, but the other side of her simply just want to hug him tight and feel his warmth she’d been missing all along. She was still standing at the same place, staring blankly at him who was actually doing the same to her.

Meanwhile, what he had been feeling since he saw her was way worse than hers. He forced his brain to think of alibis, but it couldn’t even work that he was too astonished from the view. He met her again. It’s a major twist to his plan which happened in an unexpected place. He purposely vanished from her life due to the bitter reality he got to face sooner or later. He had no other way than to leave her back then. It hurt, badly hurt to him who had difficulties to fall in love. And she was the one who succeeded to make him fell head over heels.

And seeing her just made him realize how much he missed her around, also the hardships to finally get her before he had to leave her by force.

They were just about to dare themselves to speak something when they heard a vague clicking sound of an opening door. Both of them shut their mouth and gulped down all the words they were about to speak.

“Jiyoon-ah?” Chunji who couldn’t find her in the living room called her name to check.

“Y-yes, I’m here in the kitchen!” she couldn’t help to stutter in reply. Her gaze didn’t move any bit from Changjo who hadn’t budged at all.

The two lifeless people couldn’t do much on the sound of Chunji coming towards them.

“What are you-“ Chunji asked Jiyoon right away at the view of her standing not far from the arc, but it was cut as he saw the existence of another person in the room. Jiyoon noticed Changjo’s face tautened when his hyung appeared. “Choi-ssi! The hell have you been?!” he shouted excitedly while approaching the still image and jokingly smacked his back.

It was the exact question she wanted to ask. The hell have you been.

Fortunately Jiyoon still got a hold of herself when Changjo faked a smile on his elated hyung. It’s been a long time since she saw that smile of him. However, his answer was the thing she would like to have more than the smile on his face.

“Busy working,” he grinned. “Sorry I went here right away without telling you first. I was stuck in the storm and my sleepy eyes couldn’t handle it anymore,” he tried to reduce his nervousness by sipping his coffee. During the moment he talked to Chunji, he never glanced at Jiyoon again even once. To her, he obviously pretended that she didn’t exist there.

“No problem. I’m happy to have the two of you here,” Chunji said as he leaned on one of the kitchen counter. “Really, Changjo, I have no idea I could miss you this bad.”

The two guys laughed while she could only just smirk slightly. It was worse on her side to his unknown.

“I miss you too though, that annoying voice of yours.” Changjo took a big gulp of coffee, which she thought it was being forced, and put it into the sink. “By the way, I’m sorry I have to go now, Hyung. I have a meeting to attend. I hope we can meet anytime soon.”

Jiyoon’s eyes widened in surprised at his words. No, she couldn’t let him slip off of her hand that easy. She had to use the chance of that unexpected coincidental meeting with him to talk. Yet, she had nothing in her mind to do that with Chunji being there with them.

“You’re talking nonsense! No way! You can’t go now!” Fortunately Chunji had spoken out her thoughts somehow. “Ya! Spend your breakfast time here first! Then you can go!” he disapproved the idea of him leaving.

“But Hyung-“

“Do what I told you to, Choi Changjo. Where’s your meeting anyway, huh? One of those companies of yours? They won’t complain on their owner being late a bit. You’re the one who’s got the power, stupid. Act like one.”

“Yeah, stay for a while,” Jiyoon finally spoke up. Changjo automatically turned to see her while actually Chunji just realized that she was there all the time, watching.

Changjo saw that weak yet deep gaze of her was hoping something from him. The slight smile she showed towards him played a major role on his defeat which made him immediately changed his mind to stay, for a while. He didn’t say a thing but an affirmative nod on them.

“Nice,” Chunji smirked in satisfaction. The person himself actually wanted to dig some stories from the younger, but he already grateful enough just to meet him again no matter how he often pissed him off. “Move away, you two. I’m gonna make breakfast for us.”

Jiyoon tried her best to hold her happy smile knowing the chance she got to speak with him, only the two of them without Chunji, but unfortunately the other guy was clearly avoiding the moment. “I’ll help you, Hyung.”

“Move away, you big kid. You’re my special guest for today. No need to help. Shoo!” the shorter guy tried to push his dongsaeng out of the kitchen, causing Jiyoon to move aside from the door frame to make a way.

The defeated Changjo worked hard to maintain his calmness and routed to the sofa, watching the morning news which he clearly didn’t seem to be excited for. Jiyoon tailed behind him and took a seat with a distinct gap between them. Again, he still hadn’t had even a slight glance towards her. No matter how he worked himself hard to play it cool, Jiyoon was able to feel his nervousness. And it’s quite obvious.

“Where have you been?” the words eventually slipped out of slowly and carefully after minutes full of thinking and encouraging herself. She was turning slightly to look at him while playing her fingers just to distract them from the urge to run them through his black hair like they used to.

Changjo sighed, “I think I’ve just answered that kind of question.” His gaze was still fixed at TV with his hand holding the remote, changing random channels.

“You clearly know what I mean. Don’t act clueless. Where the hell have you been those days without any notice to me at all?” she maintained calm.

“I in’ work!” he finally turned at her and snarled lowly, emphasizing every single word he just said. “You think I’m lying, huh? I in’ work!”

Jiyoon shook her head as she snorted at his tantrum. “And now you’re the one mad at me when I’m the one who supposed to badmouth you right now for leaving me hanging like that,” she quipped. “I’m nothing to you anymore, aren’t I?”

Silence. Her last question got him choked as it reminded him again of the bitter truth.

“What am I to you, Changjo?” she scooted closer to shoot him daggers.

Changjo bit his lower lip as he looked away towards the gloomy morning view outside, avoiding her death stare at him.

“Why do you find it so hard just to say that I’m nothing to you?” her voice cracked as she spoke. “I just need you to state it right now.”

Jiyoon kept staring at him. She wanted to hear the answer. She wanted to hear him saying it by himself than to speculate on the things happened to her. Being honest she didn’t want to hear the bad news, but it was better than leaving her unsure with nothing at all.

He turned his head, looking at her in the eyes, in the way he always did in the past, sincere, filled with feelings. That strong gaze of him just before, had weakened, much to shock Jiyoon although she was grateful for it anyway, hoping for her chance. His gaze then reminded her of that dream she had back on their Japan days, when he seemed as fragile as shattered glass in front of her, then she saw it again in reality. “Don’t you remember what I said in our last talk?” he asked.

She did. She always did.

“Have you forgotten it?” questioned him again, low and emphasized, not ready at all to accept the fact if she really had forgotten it, his words which came from deepest of him, too deep to ever come out from a man like him.

It was then her body which got weakened. She forced herself to respond, but her body could only tell the head to shake it slowly.

He sighed, “I wasn’t lying, I’m not, and I won’t ever be lying about that. But I think I’ve been that stupid to believe in you all along.”

Jiyoon swallowed thorns, knowing that he must be mentioning her presence there over the night. It would be the biggest regret she could ever have, meeting Changjo just to get stung and burnt by his harsh words again, and the hatred.

“What are you two up to?” Chunji suddenly spoke from the hallway, obviously frowning at the suspicious scene with a full tray in his hand, not sure whether the two were being that ‘close’ or actually planning something on him. Undoubtedly, the mentioned couple was startled from his soundless entrance when he usually was the one who got easily noticed. Or, maybe it’s just them who were too immersed on the broken hearted staring contest.

“Nothing, Hyung,” Changjo quickly remarked, grinning as he swiftly got up, moving away to create a proper gap with Jiyoon. “Woah, finished already?” he distracted Chunji from any thoughts that might pop in his mind. He awkwardly stood, hand rubbing his nape.

Without saying anything, Jiyoon walked towards Chunji to get the tray, trying to be useful at the very least, knowing that she couldn’t make the situation turned better through words. Her bad acting made her empty gaze got noticed right away by Chunji in a split second.

“Are you okay?” his one hand was gently turning her face at him while the other one supporting the tray which hadn’t yet put on the table, since she seemed like she could lose focus and drop the tray anytime.

It was then Changjo’s eyes which got stung by the scene, disturbed big time by the touch on his girl. He hid his balled up fists inside his hoodie’s pockets for everyone’s safety as he looked away, panting in anger.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” replied her with a forced smile which she hoped could calm him down. She escaped his gaze by going to the small four seated dining table to set their breakfasts, Chunji tailed behind her.

Changjo was as quick as flash to portray what might happen next, and he decided to half run towards the dining table, claiming the seat next to which Jiyoon had just taken. Grinning, he was pleased enough to see Chunji’s slightly disappointed face.

“Too excited for breakfast, Hyung,” he remarked then, although it didn’t bring any change to the other guy.

In the meanwhile, the girl was grateful to have Changjo sat beside her. At least she didn’t have to see his face while eating. She continued serving the breakfast without glancing at Changjo, simply to maintain herself fine in front of Chunji.

They ate in silence, like they just heard death news. The sky turned gloomier outside, doubling up the weird silence between the three. The only thing heard was their munching sound once in a while, until the vague ringtone of Chunji’s phone ringing from inside the bedroom. He chose to ignore it since he’s eating, turned out it rang again and again, forcing him to get up and get it first.

“And then?” he was back with his phone clamped between his ear and his shoulder while continued eating. “Hm..,” he mumbled to the caller due to his full mouth. He put all his utensils all of a sudden and hurriedly swallowed his food to respond. “Right ing now? Are you crazy?” he cursed, glancing at the wall clock. His sudden curse caught Jiyoon and Changjo’s attention who had been secretly trying to eavesdrop. They stared at him who seemed too annoyed with the caller’s demand. “So smart, Sunyoung,” he sarcastically said to the caller which turned out to be her. “Shut up, idiot. I’ll try to come as soon as possible.”

Jiyoon and Changjo were still staring at him when he ended the call and tried to shove the remaining piece of his pancake to his mouth at once, not yet realizing that the two had paused eating to wait for any words from him.

“I have to go now.” Glad enough the two could get what he’s trying to say with that full mouth of him. “Sunyoung arranged an important meeting with our prospective partner without telling me first,” he continued, with an empty mouth then, taking a big gulp of water. “You can drop her off at her place, right?” questioned him to Changjo, referring to Jiyoon who reflexively panicked.

“I’m fine, Oppa. I can go home by myself,” she butted in right away, saving her life before Changjo could even respond.

Chunji glared at her, suddenly turned all serious. “No, you’re going home with him.”

“But he has a meeting as well!” she exclaimed in rush. “Right?” she dragged Changjo into the talk, trying to get his support.

“His route is passing by your place. Changjo is taking you home,” stated Chunji before walking away to the bathroom.

Jiyoon gulped nervously; Changjo was still eating leisurely, not wanting to make a fuss about the recent situation. “Don’t listen to him. You don’t have to, really. I can go home by myself,” she spluttered.

He turned at her and showed that pissed face of him. “Just shut up and eat.”

The later awkward ten minutes they spent was ended by Chunji who was then already ready to go. He only washed up without having a proper shower, but his handsomeness took part on covering it. At least you wouldn’t know if you’re there along with them.

“Just put the dishes in the sink once you finish, okay? I’m going now,” announced him as he put his phone, wallet, and documents in one swift sweep into his brown messenger bag. “Thank you for driving her back home,” he continued, talking to Changjo whom then replied with a salute. “Take care,” he ruffled Jiyoon’s hair as the simplest meaningful thing he could do, hesitating for more despite what happened during the night before.

Jiyoon froze, knowing that Changjo must have been witnessing it. The uncertainty between them definitely made it more complicated than ever.

“See you anytime soon!” was the last words from Chunji before he closed the front door, officially starting the war between the couple left inside his place.

The girl was having a battle inside her, reminding herself to go straight to point about the real matter, yet her heart wouldn’t let Changjo go peacefully without getting barks from her at all. “We have to talk,” she tried hard to make her voice sounded stable. Both of them were then finished with their breakfast. Jiyoon slightly turned aside to face him.

The fastest respond he could give was a snort. “About what? Your relationship with Chunji?”

“It’s about us, and it has always been us. Unless there’s no such thing called ‘us’ anymore,” she cut him off confidently.

His face went stiff from her words. There’s no place he could run to anymore, totally cornered as he was face to face with her. “I don’t have much time. Pack your things and we’ll talk along the way.” He got up to take his phone and his car keys before he sat on the sofa, waiting for her who was piling up their plates and utensils. “Or you already have your own section on Chanhee’s room, huh?”

Jiyoon inhaled deeply as she was about to lift the pile of used plates. “You know nothing, Changjo,” she remarked and left to the kitchen to put the things.

“What I know is that you went too far with him while I wasn’t around!” he half shouted, pissed off with the fact he got to see.

Jiyoon appeared in the living room again within a moment and started packing her things before going back to the bedroom to change clothes. She kept silent until they got into his car and he started driving.

“So, how often do you stay in his place?” Changjo decided to break the ice first as he took the highway ticket, since the girl didn’t seem to use the chance he gave well.

She glanced at him with pressed lips and gritted teeth, trying her best to control her anger. “Listen, last night was the first time I stayed there and it’s because of the storm,” she clarified.

That smug smile of him was back on its place. “In the same room? In the same bed? Nice story you got there,” he quipped.

The anger she had been trying to hold slowly turned into tears. “I don’t want to argue about it now, please. We have more important matter here. I just want you to answer my question, please.”

“How the heck I can answer your question if the thing hasn’t yet solved, huh?!” he barked, once in a while turning his head at her. “What do you expect? Do you expect me telling you that we’re still together while you’re sleeping with Chanhee?” he snorted. “Gather your right mind, Kim Jiyoon.”

“Now I ask you where have you been?!” she shot back at him. “Where are you all this time?! Leaving me hanging in hell and now you showed up out of nowhere and accusing me things! I just need you to state it, take me or leave me, as simple as that!”

“Simple, you said?! You have no idea how it is to be me!”

“If it’s not then how could you dump me like that? You are the one who have no idea that it’s more ing difficult to be right now! I suppose to deal with this along with you, but where were you?! You even blocked my number and now you’re getting all mad because I stayed a night at Chunji’s place! Funny!”

“Is there any boyfriend out there who doesn’t get mad to find his girl was sleeping with another guy?! I never dumped you! I just haven’t got the chance to explain my situation! I have to do all that things, I have to! It doesn’t mean that I wanted it! Am I wrong if I was expecting you waiting for me all along, huh? I thought you listened to my last words to you, Kim Jiyoon.”

“If you want to leave me now, just ing do it!” she shouted out the remaining air inside her lungs. “I don’t need any arguments like this! If you want to leave me then leave! Don’t waste your energy to bark at me first before you leave! I don’t ing need that! I’ve wasted so much time waiting for you so please don’t waste my time now, Changjo.”

His anger and sadness came at once and made him lost focus. He couldn’t decide, nor even to think. “You have to understand my situation! It’s not easy for me to deal with this!”

She showed him a bitter smile. “That you have to leave me and marry someone else?”

And a loud crashing sound deafened their ears as the side of their car hit the concrete separator and made a harsh friction before it flipped for times across the highway.

 


A/N:

Been too long I'm so sorry! I thank you if there's still anyone reading this. Sorry if it was a mess! I hope you like it! x