Home

The Roommate

Home sweet home, Jiyoon-ah.

Jiyoon sighed as she stepped into her dusty apartment. It had been quite a long time since she was there for the last time, gathering all her courage to make a runaway to Japan. She dropped her stuffs in her room before pushing herself to start cleaning up the place first than mourning her fate to get back home alone, without Changjo around her anymore.

Her recent chat with him was somehow ended for a while since he hadn’t replied again, probably had fallen asleep. After changing her jeans into her shorts, she tied up her hair while she glanced around the living room, thinking from where she should start first.

It took her about two and a half hour to finish. The thick dust was no joke. She almost spent half of the time sneezing and coughing than doing the cleaning itself. Not wanting to make it obvious that she just did a major cleaning, she ran downstairs with a pile of dirty sheets and rags, bringing them to the laundry to hide it.

It was then her turn to clean herself. She took a refreshing shower before proceeding to the kitchen to finally cook again after more than a month doing nothing than just preparing toasts and cereals to eat. Smiling to herself as she stirred the stew she’s making, she hoped she could cook for Changjo anytime soon.

Finished preparing the food, she went to her room, throwing herself on the bed that had been left empty in the last few weeks. She checked her phone whether there’s any reply from Changjo, but it was nil. Still sleeping deeply, huh?

Her tired self made it easy for her to fall asleep as well. She was lying on her stomach with her hand was still holding her phone. It was already around 7 when the bell rang continuously, being her alarm. She hastily got up and ran towards the front door to get it.

“Oh my, look at my sleeping beauty. Your face is swollen, dear.” Her dad joked as he pulled her into a hug, not forgetting to leave a kiss on her forehead. “I really miss you, Jiyoonnie.”

Jiyoon chuckled, hugging him back with her eyes half opened from the sleepiness. “I miss you too, Appa. Glad you’re finally back safely.” She kissed his cheek before helping him with his belongings.

“Woah, you really did clean up!” he exclaimed in amazement at the clean surroundings. “I feel bad to leave you too long.” He ruffled her hair as they plumped onto the couch.

“No need to feel bad, Appa. I’ve been good here,” replied her while snuggling to him. “How was your business trip?”

Her dad sighed, “It was tough. I only slept a few hours a day since there were too many things that needed to be settled. Fortunately all the partners cooperated well. At least it made things a bit easier.”

“Now that it’s all finished, you should get a good sleep,” told her. “But before you get a good rest, why don’t we have dinner first? I’ve cooked your favorite stew. Come on!” she got up and pulled her dad towards the dining room.

“Oh, how I miss your cooking,” he said when he took a seat, watching her going to and from the kitchen preparing the dinner for them.

In a moment, she took a seat across him as well. “Let’s eat! Eat a lot, Appa.”

******

“Changjo-ya.” Minhyuk tapped the younger, trying to wake him up. “Let’s get some food,” he answered Changjo’s blank stare at him who had finally woken up but not willing to bother his self asking what it’s all about.

“Just go alone. I’m not going,” he mumbled before closing his eyes again.

“Aren’t you hungry?” asked Minhyuk in disbelief. “Ya, you have to eat. Hurry, get up!”

Changjo hissed. “You’ve bothered me too much today, Hyung. At least just go out there by yourself without forcing me to come with you.”

“You have to eat, Choi Jonghyun!” he slapped his dongsaeng’s abdomen.

“Haish! You’re so annoying, Hyung! Really!” Changjo gave up as he finally sat up while messing his own hair in frustration.

Minhyuk smiled in satisfaction. “No matter how annoying I am, at least I’m caring.”

“What kind of caring hyung who asked his dongsaeng to jump into hell through separating him with his girlfriend,” Changjo scoffed when they walked out the room.

“I just want you to prove your love for her, that’s all. You have to learn the other side of love, Jonghyun,” he argued.

“Funny how you could tell me that while you actually don’t have a girlfriend,” he continued mocking the older.

Minhyuk clicked his tongue. “Aren’t you the one being stupid in this matter? Of course I’m smart enough not to get a girlfriend knowing that I’m getting married soon.”

“Just shut up!” Changjo snapped, not wanting to admit his lose.

There was Hiroshi standing by the receptionist desk, frowning at the two as they went out of the elevator. “Hey.” Changjo waved at him while approaching him who was still looking bluntly at him. “By the way, meet my brother Minhyuk.” He introduced him. “And this is Hiroshi, my friend.” He introduced the other as well.

“Hello.” Hiroshi bowed at Minhyuk which got replied by a warm smile from the older. “Going out for dinner, eh?” he turned to ask Changjo.

Changjo nodded. “We probably should be going now. See you later, bro. Good luck on the work tonight!” he patted his back a few times before walking out the hotel with Minhyuk.

“How could you befriend him?” questioned Minhyuk right away with his eyebrow rose.

“It’s a long story and I’m not in the mood to bother myself telling you that right now,” he answered, shrugging. “I owe him.”

Minhyuk snorted. “At least it’s good to finally see you socializing,” he scoffed.

“Not that I wanted to. The situation forced me to,” replied Changjo.

“You haven’t changed,” Minhyuk concluded, shaking his head.

They took their time having dinner in a café not far from the hotel, staying for a cup of coffee although they didn’t really have a lot of things to be shared. Well, Changjo was the one who insisted to keep his mouth shut, not yet wanting to tell his brother about the things he’d passed through for the last few weeks of him missing.

It was almost 10 when they got back to the hotel. The exhausted Minhyuk still managed to take out his laptop to do his work instead of going to sleep right away. Changjo who was sitting on the bed glanced at him in guilt knowing that some of them should have been his part. There he was, innocently watching the older doing all the works while doing nothing than thinking about his own life without bothering how others might feel on things he had done.

“Where are you going?” Minhyuk frowned when he saw Changjo’s movement from the corner of his eyes. The younger had silently got up and walked towards the door.

“Finishing what I should have finished earlier,” he answered. “Don’t worry. I’m not going out from the hotel. Be back in a while.” He showed him a faint smile before he left the room.

The view of the deserted lobby welcomed him as the elevator door went opened. Hiroshi was nowhere to be seen, probably doing his work. Changjo took a seat on the farthest couch on the empty lounge. Started with a heavy sigh, he took out his phone and called Jiyoon. Every beep of wait he heard doubled up the pace of his heartbeat before it completely stopped when Jiyoon picked the call up.

Hi! Finally you called. I bet you just had a long nap.” Her cheerful voice greeted him, full of excitement.

Changjo took a deep breath after the choke he had from hearing her voice which somehow hurt him. “Yeah, I fell asleep,” he awkwardly laughed. “Appa has arrived?”

Yup, he has arrived safely. I spent the time cleaning up and cooking dinner for him. I was half asleep when you called me just now. Nonetheless I’m happy to hear your voice again,” she giggled. “Have you had dinner? Don’t skip meals, Changjo-ya.

He smothered his own mouth, preventing himself from reacting at her words. “You must be so tired, aren’t you? Don’t worry. I’ve had dinner. You’re lucky to have it with Appa there. It’s weird for me to have it without you after a while.” Fortunately he succeeded on talking in a normal tone. “Don’t be too tired later.”

I wish you could be here with us and enjoy my cooking together. I hope it’s happening anytime soon when you get back to Korea!” her words got him choked for the umpteenth time. “Probably we should do a video call while having dinner on our own tomorrow,” she lightly chuckled. “Don’t worry. Today’s my last time. I’m sure I won’t be cleaning up the house for the upcoming weeks.

“Did Appa find out about you going to Japan?” he tried to change the topic.

No. Not yet. Well, I hope he wouldn’t. Just let it be my biggest secret and sins.

Changjo weakly smirked at the word sins. He was the one having too many sins on her instead. “Did Chunji call you again today?” the question just popped in his head randomly.

She paused for a sudden before letting out an awkward laugh. “What’s with him? No, he didn’t. Do you want me to reject his calls later?

He sighed, “Just wondering. My mind has been bothered after since. I just-“

Don’t worry too much, Changjo. I won’t let him go far again. Or should we just tell the truth to them? So that you don’t have to be like this all the time,” she spoke out her idea which got rejected right away.

“Not now, just not in a short time. I’m not ready yet,” he cut her off. “I just don’t think it’s the right time to reveal it to them,” he continued as he could imagine Jiyoon frowning with his sudden hesitancy.

Well, if that’s what you want,” replied her. “Seems like somebody’s gonna be sleeping late tonight,” she chuckled, trying to ease the awkwardness.

“Probably I’m not gonna sleep tonight,” he laughed along. “I don’t mind to talk to you for the whole night, but you must be tired right now, aren’t you?”

Her light chuckles transmitted from the line across. “It’s fine. Your voice heals me.

For the very last time unfortunately, Changjo clenched his eyes shut. “Really?” he tried not to choke. “I can’t believe you can be that cheesy as well.”

Living around you for a while has changed me into this cheesy person. Ya, by the way I just want to remind you that we’re on international call,” she said.

Changjo faintly smirked to himself. “It’s okay,” since this is our last, his mind continued the unspoken. “Jiyoon-ah,” he hesitantly started off again.

Hm?” she just mumbled shortly just to make him continued faster.

“This morning I’ve promised you to take care of myself, would you do the same to me?” his voice turned serious, causing Jiyoon to panic a bit from his change.

She awkwardly laughed for the umpteenth time. ”Ya, what’s this all about?” but he didn’t go as what she had expected to at least laughed a bit. “Okay, I’m gonna promise you now.

“Promise me that you’re gonna take care of yourself and not doing stupid things while you’re away from me since I couldn’t protect you directly,” he demanded.

She sighed, “I, Kim Jiyoon, promise to you that I’m gonna take care of myself and not gonna do stupid things while Changjo-ssi isn’t around to protect me directly.”

“Good. Now, do you love me for real?” he questioned the unnecessary.

Jiyoon hissed. “Gosh, Changjo. What has got into you that you’re badly insecure like this all of a sudden? Of course I love you for real. It’s not a joke this time.”

Changjo held his breath, preventing himself from choking again. “I’m just… worried,” he sighed heavily. “I’m sorry to bother you with my insecurity.”

Oh my, don’t mind my words. I was just joking. I’m not that bothered. It’s normal for you to be insecure since we’re away from each other, but it’s just surprising that it’s actually only our first hours living separately. It hasn’t even a day. But nonetheless, please don’t mind my words, okay? I’m sorry,” she spluttered.

They went silent for a moment before Changjo finally spoke again. “I love you.”

I love you too, Changjo. I love you. Please don’t ever doubt it again, it’s unnecessary.

He giggled nervously. “Yeah, I shouldn’t doubt it. You shouldn’t either. Never,” told him. “It’s getting late. You should have some rest.”

It’s okay though. I don’t mind to staying up late just to hear your voice,” she shyly said.

It’s actually me who’s not okay, Changjo thought. “Ya, remember your promise about taking care of yourself? You shouldn’t force yourself, just go to sleep now.” This is killing me softly and I just can’t bear it anymore.

If you say so, Sir.” He could picture her rolling her eyes at him as she told him that. “I’m going then.

“Jiyoon-ah,” he hastily cut her off before she hung up.

Uh?

“No matter what will happen in the future, you’re the only one I love, Jiyoon-ah. I really mean it. Nothing could ever change my love for you,” he confidently said. “Nothing,” he couldn’t help to trail off.

He knew she was smiling as she giggled. “Thank you. So do I. No need to be worried about it.”

“Well, have a nice dream, beautiful. I’m gonna appear in your dream every single night.” He tried to distract himself by throwing out a joke. “Good night, dear.”

I’ll be glad to have it,” she chuckled. “Good night, handsome. See you soon, bye!”

“I love you, Choi Jiyoon.” The last goodbye was left unspoken. He’s not saying goodbye to her, never. He might be leaving her, but he’s not saying goodbye, never.

His hand was trembling as he ended the call; his face was already wet from his tears which already streamed down since he didn’t know when. Pressing his lips together, he got up from his seat and walked back to his room.

He leaned his limp body against the elevator’s cold wall. His reflections on the mirror around him were staring at him, judging. He didn’t feel like he’s seeing himself. It wasn’t him. It wasn’t him, Choi Jonghyun, who just dared to make his last call to Jiyoon. He wouldn’t dare to do it at all. He’s nothing but a coward to be dared leaving her.

He stopped in front of his door. Inhaling deeply to clear his mind, he wiped his face, trying his best to hide the evidence of him breaking down badly. Minhyuk was still doing his work in a worse state that time since his eyes had turned narrower from the time he left him. He glanced at Changjo before focusing himself back on his laptop screen.

“Hyung.” The younger had approached him and was standing in front of him then.

The older looked up to see him again with a forced tired smile he made to ease the younger. “Hm?”

Changjo gulped down as he gathered up his guts to speak. “Let’s go home.”