Three

The Family

Three

 

 

 

Jessica glances back at forth between her brother and his newlywed. A frown is in her forehead. The three of them is the only occupant in the table. Yuri wonders where the other has gone. Since it was over midnight the party was over, Boa insisted that they all slept in the house. The old man gave no objection which Yuri very appreciates for his practicality. Jessica has put on the guest room near her father in case he needs anything.  

 

Her husband has played ignorance to his sister’s curiosity for the last ten minutes while Yuri preparing breakfast for him. The patience seems ready to evaporate if Jess keeps doing that way.

 

Her prediction is right.

 

“What?!” He snaps as he put down the newspaper. Annoyance is in his handsome face.

 

“What?” Jessica, ice princess she is, counters innocently.

 

Her husband scowls at his sister.

 

Jessica, detecting danger, turns to her. “Did you hear me saying something?”

 

In the middle of dabbing butter to a toast in her other hand, Yuri looks up. Her void emotional face is indicating that she doesn’t want to be drag into this war. She turns to her husband. “Do you want another toast?” She asks pleasantly.

 

Jessica makes a face, earning a glare from Yunho. “Yes please.” He softens his voice at Yuri. “Where is everyone?”

 

“I don’t know. I assume that they want to sleep a bit longer.” Yuri takes his plate. “More coffee?”  

 

“No. This is enough.” Yunho sips his coffee. “I hope they wake up before we're done here. I’d like to say farewell before we leave to airport.”

 

“You leave today?!” Jessica inquire, surprised by the news. “but I thought you will leave on Sunday.”

 

Yunho barely pays her a glance when he says. “The decision is ours to make.”

 

“We don’t want to wait because next week your brother must leave for business to New York.”  Yuri explains softly while throwing a warning glance at her husband.  For the first time she wonders why she takes Jessica’s side. Is that because she knows how that feels to have brother? Jessica must feel that she has already taken Yunho away from her. And she hates coming in between their relationship. Since she was a child, Jess always depended on her brother.

 

“It’s not like that Yuri.” As if she can read the direction of her thought, Jessica says quickly. “I was only surprised. That’s all.”

 

Yuri shifts in her seat uncomfortably. So, this is how it feels to have a sister-in-law, especially if the sister-in-law is your not-so-close-friend.

 

“So, where will you stay when you come back?” detecting Yuri’s uneasiness, Jess changes the topic.

 

“I will bring her to our house.” Yunho glances at her to as if asking for permission.

 

They haven’t talked about this, yet. But Yuri knows her first duty as a wife. She must be willing to follow no matter where her husband wants them to live. Yuri nods to confirm the news.

 

“And you are okay with that?” Jess asks doubtfully.

 

“Yuri, why don’t you see my father? He always needs help in the morning since his back is hurting him.” Yunho cut off whatever answer she about to give to Jessica.

 

Nodding obediently, she rises up from her chair. “I’ll also go to check on our trunk so we will be ready to leave once they all wake up.”

 

Yunho reaches for her hand and press a kiss inside her palm. “Thank you.”

 

Jessica gapes in her chair even after Yuri finally out of their sight. “Are you serious?” She demands her brother frankly. “I’d say I have no power to prevent this marriage, but I swear I’ll do my best to prevent her from being hurt.” She put down her fork on the china hard enough the sound echoes inside the room.

 

“And what make you think I will hurt her?”

 

“Because I know where you left three days ago.” Her eyes flash with anger. “You went to her that night less than a week before you marry another girl.”

 

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

 

“Are you insane?!” Jess hisses furiously. “I know my place and I’ve been thinking about this over and over again. She is my friend. I don’t want to see her crying over you.”

 

“I thought she was not your close friend.”

 

“She is now.” Jessica answers smoothly, the anger and disgust are still clear in her face. “and the fact that she is now my sister-in-law gives me more reason to protect her.”

 

His face hardens. “I told you I like my wife, weren’t I?”

 

“And I remembered you threw tantrum at Dad right after he told you about the union.” She spats back. “Have you forgotten that, dear brother?”

 

“My affair is none of your business Jess.” He says curtly, clearly in discomfort to have this discussion with his little sister. “You don’t understand.”

 

“Oh I do brother.” She glares at him. “My boyfriend cheated behind my back and you were this close to kill him if I wasn’t stopping you.” Jess holds her fingers in the air for measurement. “I never doubt that Kwon Jiyong will do the same for his baby sister.”

 

“I never doubt that too.”

 

Jess frowns at him. “Will you carry on the affair with –“

 

“Jess please. The last person I will discuss my affair with is you.” He sips on his coffee to have a moment to regain his control. “Can we pretend that we never have this conversation?”

 

Her answer is an icy glare. “I will do what is necessary brother.”

 

“May I remind you that you’re not involved in this? This is between me and Yuri.” The cup clanks loudly against the saucer. “You’re an outsider, little sister.”

 

“Dad never betrayed mom, not even once.” Jess will not give it up.

 

“Theirs were love match.” He argues.

 

“Dad never thinking about re-marry much more having paramour.” Jess shots back.

 

“It’s his privilege. I have nothing to do with his every decision. Besides, I am not him.”

 

“You are his son,” Her eyes meet his with renew anger. “yet you are a shame.”

 

“Children behave!”

 

Their father’s voice brings their heads to turn around. Fortunately, Yuri and her siblings aren’t there. Walking to the table with his cane, the old man keeps a watchful eye upon his children. “This isn’t our house.”

 

“I’m very aware of that dad.” Jess stands up to help her dad settle on the chair. “But I won’t act indifference to this.”

 

The old man’s sharp eyes focus on Yunho. “I agree with your sister, son. You must end this.”

 

“We’ve had this discussion before and I thought you agreed to my condition, were you father?” Yunho always calls ‘father’ whenever he is displeased. “My wife will return shortly. I wish we could be civil right then.”

 

Jessica snorts in unladylike. She sits back on her chair with disgust. “I wish I’ve never witnessed your sin that night.”

 

The men whirl around to stare at her. Yunho is with his cheeks red with shame, Mr. Jung is with anger.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me Jess?”

 

Before Jessica can answer, Yuri appears much to Yunho’s safety. “Oh here you are father.” Clueless, she put her best smile as she walks close. “I’ve been looking for you. What do you want for breakfast?”

 

They all look away from her. Sensing the tension, Yuri not letting her smile falters. Instead, she starts pouring tea for Mr. Jung. “I hear chamomile tea is good for your health. Here, have a sip.”

 

“Thank you, daughter.” 

 

She turns to stand beside her husband. “My sister and brother are awake already. But they will have breakfast later since they must come to office immediately. They will be here soon.”

 

“Good.” He takes her hand and holds it in his. “Dad, we will leave to Venice at nine. I’ve set the Jet ready once we arrive at the airport. Do you mind with it?”

 

Yuri notices that Jessica is holding her cup tightly. She won’t meet her gaze, either.

 

“It’s okay. I can handle most of business while you’re away.”

 

“I think we better delay the trip.” Yuri blurt out. She is staring at her hand in Yunho’s grasp. “I don’t want messing up everyone’s schedule.”

 

“You won’t do such a thing, dear. It’s best to have you two gone. I can’t stand the sight of lovesick right now.” He reaches out to pat their clasped hands. “Remind me of my youth, you know.”

 

No one laughing at his attempt of joke. Everyone is busy with their own mind, especially Yuri who is frozen in her place. He, out all of people, should know better that this is not a love match.

 

“It’ll be better if you return here with news of my grandchild.”

 

Yuri has the sense to blush.

 

“I’m done. I’ll wait in the living room.” She doesn’t wait for respond. Jess looks as if she has been chase by devil as she escapes the dining room.

 

“Are you sure?” Yuri asks again.

 

“Positive.” Mr. Jung answers the same time Yunho answers. “We don’t need everyone’s permission.”

 

Mr. Jung doesn’t bother to hide his disapproval. He shakes his head at Yunho’s reckless comment. “Have it your way son, but I will speak my opinion about it. Today I wish to see my daughter-in-law happy. And so be it.”   

 

Yuri reaches for his hand with her free one. “Thank you father.”

 

 

 

Yuri barely remembers her old life as she lying down on the soft towel in the ship. Yunho insists on having a sail today. The weather is agreeing with them. Yuri is sure that she will have her skin more tanned once they back to their hotel. But she doesn’t mind it. Yunho told her that he loves her tan skin the first time they made love. It makes her look y according to him.

 

Yes, they have consummated their marriage. It happened more than once the night he took her ity. She offered no resistance when he sneaked inside her room to seduce her. She had been grateful that her husband apparently desires her. Since that night, Yunho insists they sleep together in one bed. She doesn’t refuse. Besides, it’s her job to please her husband.

 

“Hello beautiful.” He murmurs close to her ear. One hand has wandering around on her almost state. “You can get sunburn if you sleep under the sun.”

 

Lazy ‘hmmmm’ is her answer. She doesn’t wish the memory to end yet, not when it has come to her favorite part.

 

“Come,” His strong arms sneak around her and in a flash he has her in his arms. Yunho hasn’t shed his shirt yet. His polo shirt fits perfectly on his torso. The soft fabric grazes her burned skin. “I almost thought I hold cooked lobster instead of my own wife.” He comments as he carries her inside the deck.

 

Yuri laughs and the laugh die as her husband kiss her. She understands very well what her husband’s intention.

 

 

 

“How was it?”

 

“Was it hurt? I heard it hurt the first time for woman.”

 

“What do you feel right now?”

 

“Was he very –“

 

Yuri holds out a palm to stop them before they are going too far. “Girls, please.” Her cheeks hot with embarrassment.

 

Upon returning from honeymoon two weeks ago, Yuri wisely decides to avoid her friends. But she can’t forever ignore them. So, she comes to their usual place. Yuri is very aware that such questions will be asked.

 

Sooyoung purses her lips. “You are not helping.”

 

“Helping?” Yuri startles. “What was that supposed to mean? Are you planning to get laid with some stranger?”

 

“Really Choi Sooyoung?” Taeyeon joins the sudden investigation.

 

“I was just curious.” The girl has common sense to blush. “Since Yuri is the first to marry, I hope to gain as much information as possible. My mother won’t say a thing about that.”

 

“Are you insane?!” Sunny is all but yelling. “If I were your mom, I’ll brain-wash you right there and then.”

 

Sooyoung scowls at her. “That’s too dramatic.”

 

The other girls just shake their head in disbelief.

 

Yuri stands up. “Girls, excuse me.” She excuses herself to the bathroom. Yoona is close at her heels.

 

“You'd better not to listen what Sooyoung says from now on.” Yuri wisely advises the younger girl. “Her curiosity is appalling.”

 

Yoona chuckles.

 

They both crash with someone at restroom door. Fortunately, no one falls down on the floor as Yoona grabs Yuri’s hand and Yuri grabs the stranger’s hand.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yuri says to the woman. “Are you okay?” The woman looks familiar to her.

 

She nods and pulls off her black glasses. Yuri’s suspicion is right. The woman is none other than the famous model. She is so lovely yet at the same time so cynical. No smile appears in her face when she looks back at Yuri. In fact, her eyes hold something for her, something like resentment.  

 

“Miss, are you okay?” Yuri asks again.

 

“Yes, yes,” She pulls her hand away from Yuri’s. “Next time, be more careful.” She adds brusquely. She put back on her glasses and walks away. Before completely out of their gaze, she turns around. “By the way, nice to meet you Mrs. Jung Yuri.”

 

Both Yuri and Yoona are too shock to even form a word. It is long until the model gone when Yoona asks her. “Have you ever met her before? Or are . . . were you friend with her?”

 

“I don’t know her at all.”

 

“Then how?”

 

“Maybe it was the news. Is that possible a woman like her paying attention to . . .” her voice trails off.  “Oh God.”

 

“What?”

 

“I have to go.” Yuri is all but run to grab her purse.

 

“Wait!”

 

She ignores Yoona.

 

Her friends are having fun discussion, but she notices that Jessica is having her eyes on the street outside. Is that possible that Jess know who the woman is?

 

“Jess?”

 

At her urgent tone, her friends’ voice dies. They all stare at Yuri with worried expression.

 

Jessica is not good at lying. Her eyes tell Yuri everything.