Epilogue

The Family

Epilogue

 

 

 

Yuri smiles wistfully at the sight of her husband with their beautiful baby girl in his arms. Why, the babe is only seven months but she adores her father beyond world. She easily frets, but with one soothing word from Yunho, that sunny smile will come into sight and steals everyone’s heart. Her chubby little hands are investigating daddy's pocket-shirt, as if she can find a new toy inside. Her white forehead frowns with concentration, very much like her daddy when he examining new contracts.   

 

Yunho deposit a kiss over her downy hair.  At least the feeling is mutual between the two. They can’t stand to be apart from each other.

 

“He is happy.”

 

Yuri tears her gaze away from her beloveds. “I am happy.” Somehow, she wants to assure the old man that her husband makes her happy too. The magic not only works one way. “We are happy.” She says at last and earns a nod of approval from her father-in-law.

 

But then, there is still a matter that she can’t forget up until now. “Father –“ Yuri begins. “I’m still wondering why you chose me.”

 

“I thought Jess had told you why.” The corners of his eyes crinkle.

 

“She did.” Yuri twists the strap of her purse, looking for distraction so that she doesn’t appear to be nervous for the answer. “But our family used to be enemy. My dad hated you, wasn’t he?”

 

“He was.”

 

Yuri frowns at him, wondering how he can appear to be nonchalant, even amused by the idea. “Why? He never told any of his children. He made us following what he wanted.”

 

When those wise eyes stare at her, Yuri catches remorse. A rueful smile is in his face. “We fought over Yunho’s mother.”

 

“Oh –“

 

Yuri doesn’t know how to react. Perhaps she should angry to the fact that her beloved mother had been wasting her time on her father? She almost let out shaky laugh when Mr. Jung takes her hand in his.

 

“It’s not what you think dear.” He reassures. “Your parents loved each other. Anyone could see it.”

 

Yuri raises one eyebrow.

 

“We were so young and so full of rivalry even though we were best friends.” He smiles fondly at the memories. “Your dad and I, we grew up together, helped each other, and protected each other. He was destined to be my brother even if we didn’t come from the same womb.” Mr. Jung sighs heavily. “Then my wife came in our life. I never regret that I won her love over your father. What I regret is my dear, I was so drowned in my own pride to come to him and have his friendship again.”

 

There are tears in his eyes that make Yuri’s heart aches for them.

 

“And he married your mother in haste to show the world that he was still alive through the betrayal of his best friend or so he thought.” He pats Yuri’s hand tenderly. A mischief smile is in his face. “But I knew, I always knew that he had something for your mother. He just hadn’t realized it yet.”

 

Yuri grins along with him. Her heart swells with love for his father-in-law. Men! They can be as stubborn as bullock. “How my dad met my mom?”

 

He throws a glance at her. “They didn’t tell you, did they?”

 

Yuri rolls her eyes. “Never. They said some secrets are not to be told. I didn’t have any idea what was that mean since I was only five.”

 

“Ah that was very wise of them.”

 

Yuri groans. “Oh no! You can’t stop right now.”

 

“I can’t tell you without their approval. Indeed they are right to keep it from you. It wasn’t something nice to hear.”

 

Yuri becomes somber immediately. “Then why me?”

 

“I pay close attention to you since you were born. We, my wife and I, thought I could fix everything with your father by making us a real family, that my dear, is marrying you to my son. And by godsend, you look so much like her. I knew that you are the key.”

 

“But how did you know that Yunho would be happy with me?”

 

“I didn’t. That part, I was actually gambling my son’s future.”

 

“And mine.” Yuri adds wryly.

 

“Well, happiness is a matter of choice.” Mr. Jung shrugs.

 

Yuri is about to argue when her husband’s voice cut hers.

 

“What happiness?” Her husband suddenly appears before them. Their baby girl is in his arms, looking positively absorbed in her daddy’s blackberry. The poor electronic has a trace of drool in it's screen.

 

Yuri winces involuntary. That thing holds many important files inside and Yunho appears to be nonchalant with its state. Yuri stretches her arms out to her daughter. “Come darling, I believe it’s our time.” She coaxes the infant.

 

The infant completely ignores her mother, still interested with the blip of the blackberry.

 

“Oh very well.” Mr. Jung grumbles. “Come with me darling,” He reaches out and deposits his-still-interested-in-blackberry-granddaughter in his lap. “Go on both of you. I’ll be generous enough to babysit her for thirty minutes.”

 

Yuri blushes as her husband half drag and half carry her away.

 

“Thanks dad! I owe you!” Yunho yells over his shoulder.

 

“You bloody well do.” He grumbles.

 

“That was embarrassing!” Yuri hisses when they finally alone in the backyard. “I’m not sure I still have a face to meet my father-in-law anymore.”

 

“That’s exaggerating.” Yunho silences her protest with kisses.

 

“No –“ Yuri pulls away only to find her self being pull back. “I swear –“

 

“This is good.” He sighs. “Life is never been good before.”

 

Yuri giggles. Oh bugger! She never giggle before, certainly not now when her husband making a very good progress upon her.

 

“I want to renew my vow.”

 

Yuri put a finger between their lips and looks up at him with smile. “You don’t have to. I’ve saved it here.” She pats at the center of her s with her free hand. “And you know what? It will play continuously for the rest of my life.”


 

 

Oh God finally I finished it!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your warm welcomes.

I really appreciate it ^^

See you next time. . xoxo