Five

The Family

Five

 

 

 

“Yuri?”

 

She is about to close her eyes when her husband seeks her. It is only 8.00 p.m., but she doesn’t want to confront him right now. She is too tired. Her soft heart is more than ready to betray her mind if he rains her with sweet words right now. Her siblings haven’t known yet about her problem, nor will she tell them. They have their own problems and it’s hundred times more important than hearing their little sister crying over her husband.  

 

But Yuri knows better that her husband is not easily to give up. She has lay very still on the bed knowing her husband in the same room with her. She can feel his gaze caressing her. Unexpectedly, he sits close to her in the bed. His knuckles are her cheek with such tenderness.  

 

“I met her today.”

 

What?! Yuri suddenly cannot breathe properly. Her chest constricts painfully. She clenches her eyes tightly to prevent the tears from leaking out.  

 

“The day she met you at the café, she did it on purpose.” He continues his assault on her senses. “That day, she was upset because we broke up. I told her that I can’t hurt my wife, that she is so precious to me.” His voice is weak at the last sentence, but Yuri can hear him still.

 

Her husband obviously is in battle with his own demon. She knows half of his problem. She can only hope that he will tell her the rest.

 

Have a faith in me.

 

Let me help you.

 

Let me heal you.

 

He sighs quietly. “My wife, she has awakened the feeling I’ve buried deep inside my soul. She has become the part of it, half of my heart. I told her that seeing her hurt will hurt me too.”

 

Her hands are shaking under the covers. Yuri presses tightly, afraid that little gasp of cry will escape. Oh God, she didn’t even think that far when she confronted him. She didn’t give him a chance to explain.

 

“She wouldn’t accept it. So she went to you.” He sighs heavily. “I never blame anyone except my self. What have I seen in her that I persist to keep her? Jessica is still mad at me for that. Dad won’t talk to me.” He pauses for a moment. There is a hint of sadness when he mentioned the two most important persons he loves dearly. “And now I will lose you too because of my foolish behavior.”

 

He leans down to kiss her forehead. “I’ve never thought my foolishness will cost this much or hurt this much.”

 

He sounds as if he is in deep pain. Pain over losing the ones he loves. Her resolve to stay cold crumbles. Yuri takes his hand and holds it against her heart. She wants him to hear her heart only beat for him, will only love him.

 

“Yuri?”

 

“I love you. I love you too much to let you go. And I love you too much it hurts thinking you love another woman.”

 

“Baby,”

 

Yuri grabs his collar and pulls him down for kiss. His arms sneak around her, drawing her close to him. “I don’t care if you seeing another woman. My love is strong enough to make me stand by your side.”

 

“Hush” He silences her with another kiss. “I only want you. I didn’t come to her since I married you.”

 

That is true. He slept in their beds every night since they married, except for when he left to New York. But she trusts him. Her husband wouldn’t come to another woman’s bed.

 

“Make love to me Yunho.” She’s all but sobbing into his neck. Her hands are holding his shirt tightly as if afraid he would go. “Love me.”

 

“Shhhh. . . .” He flips them over so that she is on top. “I have a life time to love you. Let us enjoy this night.” His arms circle around her protectively. “Oh God, you are so beautiful.” He groans.

 

“I want you.”

 

“You have me baby. My heart, my soul, my love are only for you.”

 

Yuri looks up and braces her hands on his shoulder. “Are you meant it? All of the things you said were true?”

 

He chuckles. “What is it my love?”

 

She shakes him hard. “Tell me!” Her eyes shine with love.  

 

“Can’t you see it in my eyes? Or should I tell the whole world that you are mine?” He stares at her intently. “I –“

 

He begins shouting but she clamps a hand over his mouth. “I believe you.” and she kisses him with all her heart. 

 

 

 

“I love you.”

 

She is glowing in aftermath. Her skin is shimmering under the moon light. Her husband has told her over and over again before they explode into the bright light of peak. He is still buried deep inside her.

 

“I know.” But then, Yuri falls quiet. Soberly, she thinks all that happened between them. He indeed loves her. But one thing she can’t understand until now is why Mr. Jung insisted on their marriage. Granted, she knows she look like Mrs. Jung, a lot. But that didn’t mean his son would love her. Past tense. Well now that he is, she wonders how the old man could forecast their future.

 

His finger draws circle on her shoulder. “Then what’s wrong?”

 

“I just wish you would tell me earlier. Then we wouldn’t have to through this.”

 

“I was scared Yuri, afraid that you would have power over me. Look at my parents. Dad had gone mad when mom passed away. I wouldn’t let myself through the same state. I have too much pride to be like that.”

 

“I’m sorry.” She hugs him tighter and kissing the top of his head. “Love sometimes hurt. But it doesn’t mean we should avoid it.”

 

“I know. I was only ten and Jess was not even two. Dad abandoned us. I found myself taking care what he had ignored. After that day, I swore to not fancy myself in love because I know better what love will do.”

 

“Are you now?”

 

“I’m still thinking that way Yuri, but my heart also doesn’t want to give you up. You are too precious.” One lone tear escapes his eye, then rolling down to her bare chest. If it’s not for the state of her , Yuri won’t even know that her husband is crying.

 

“I love you too. I won’t give up on you even if you push me away.”

 

His answer is nearly killing Yuri with happiness. He rises to his elbows and looks down at her with such breathtaking gaze that makes her stomach flutter in respond. Her breath catches in as she fights with her tears.

 

 “I want to renew my vow.” He states firmly.

 

“You don’t have to. I trust you.”

 

Yunho shakes his head. “This is only between us and God is the witness.” He leans down to kiss her fully on the lips.

 

I, Jung Yunho, take you, Kwon Yuri, to be my wife, my constant friend, my faithful partner and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.”