One

The Family

One

 

 

 

Yuri has already suspected why her siblings summon her, or rather sending two bodyguards and ungraciously, she is dragged from her literature class. She can protest later, of course. But she can’t help to feel afraid if her suspicion corrects.

 

Her eyes bulge wide. Sweat breaks in her forehead but Yuri ignores it. All her focus is sharp on her sister, Boa. It’s all true.

 

“I can’t marry him.”

 

That comes so weak, Yuri isn’t sure everyone in the room, her sister, her sister’s husband, Kim Jaejoong, and her brother, Jiyong will hear. But of course they all hear it for everyone fall silent instantly. Neither everyone denies her, nor agrees with her. Her brother looks away from her even since she came fifteen minutes ago. Boa’s hand is gripping Jaejoong’s very tightly. Her eyes are b with tears.

 

Momentary, Yuri let her mind wanders to her childhood. It was a very wonderful. None of responsibility came upon her. She could be as free as she wanted. Daddy had Boa and Jiyong as his heirs. And the little Yul was set free to do as she pleased. She had a chance to pursue her dreams, a psychologist, which is why now she is in college to get her degree. She recalls how distress her siblings became when they had to go to formal school while studying business. They were just a child.  

 

Now look at them, the best, reliable hands for their daddy. They had sacrificed their childhood. Perhaps now is her time to do the honor to save the family. She looks around slowly, taking her time to find the clue. No one changes their composure. Yuri knows very well they are devastated about the prospect of bargaining their little sister for the safety of the company. But it is the only thing dad has left for them other than strong bound between the siblings.

 

The awful truth is, Yuri has to marry their family enemy.

 

“I’ll have him.” She finally says.

 

Her brother, who has been very still, stares at her with mixture of gratitude and grief. God, it is barely a month since their father has passed away. 

 

“With one condition,” Yuri continues.

 

Boa, Jaejoong, and Jiyong are listening very carefully.

 

Swallowing the lump in , she says. “Let me graduate first.”

 

Boa clearly sags in her husband’s arms. “Of course baby, of course.”

 

Her sister understands very well her passion. Jiyong rises and strode toward her. Yuri watches intently upon his face. He has tears in his eyes, which is a very rare occasion. God, he hadn’t shed even a tear when their father passed away. Ji crouches down upon his knees in front of her. His warm hands envelop hers in her lap.

 

“Thank you, my baby girl.” It comes like a whisper. Yuri throws her self in her brother’s arms.

 

 

 

Her groom, she learn, is a very attractive man. He is also Jessica’s brother, Jung Yunho. Jess is not her friend, but in her circle of friends, Jess is friend of her friends. They are aware of each other. Jung’s and Kwon’s are enemy of each other. Since Jaejoong married Boa, Kim’s is dragged into the dispute. But never once Yuri saw Taeyeon or Hyoyeon change their attitude toward Jessica. Beside, Jess struck her as a good girl from heart. She has nothing to hold against her. And Jessica never says a word about the engagement.

 

Her brother comes from a very different story, a womanizer to begin with. The story of his love life has come first upon her ears before she could see how he looks. A devilish, fatal womanizer is all she can come up to describe him when she sees his photo. There is no way the man has agreed to this engagement. She is no match against his lovers, not even close. God, what she drags her self into? Yuri can picture her self in the future, stuck in the luxurious house, drowning with pearls and jewels, nursing their children with sad eyes since her husband rarely come home.

 

Is this way too late to change her mind? She is sitting in the Jung’s living room with her sister. Jiyong and Jaejoong are now in the study with the old Mr. Jung and Jung Yunho. They have insisted earlier to come with her and her sister. Men! As if she can’t do anything to save herself. What the hell are they possibly talking about? Jessica isn’t home yet from school. Yuri suspects that she, on purpose, avoiding this. She hates this feeling, being helpless. Her future is decided upon this match. She supposes that she has no chance to continue studying once she married. Her husband will expect her to devote her self in the family.

 

When the door clicks open, Boa’s hand on hers tighten. She squeezes back to assure her that she is ready. Jiyong is the first to step outside. His face is grim. His shoulder stiffs, as if he just discuss the safety of nation with the president. Jaejoong is right behind him. He looks . . . angry.

 

The next man robs her breath away. Is he her future husband? He is perfection. No wonder women swoon after his feet. He looks gloomy. Yuri takes a pity for the man. As the heir, he has everything except for the right to choose his own bride. Yuri glances at Boa. Her sister is a very different case. Their marriage is a love match. She just only hopes that hers will not become disaster.

 

“Yuri,”

 

She straightens her spine when she meets the head of Jung family. Warm eyes stare back at her. There are wisdom, intelligent, and love in that eyes. Yuri wonders why her father detested him so much when he was alive. She glances at her sister. In her defense, Boa’s eyes hold no anger or hatred toward the man. There is only respect.

 

“My dear girl,” He stretches out one hand for her.

 

Yuri places her hand in his. Firm clasp betrays his age. He used to be a strong man. Yuri is very aware of the movement in her left side. Yunho comes forward to help his old man from the wheel chair.

 

“No,” He swats his son’s hands away. “Stay back.”

 

Yuri doesn’t realize that she holds her breath until Yunho has stood few steps away from them.

 

He focuses back on Yuri. “I wish to speak to you, but only if you wish too.”

 

Yuri smile. The old man was just swat his son way and now softly spoke to her as if she were made from glass. “Of course I wish to speak to you too, Sir.”

 

“Good, let’s get us into my study.” He dismisses his butler who loyally pushing his wheel chair everywhere. The man bows and leaves the scene to stand on the corner of the room, too far to hear any conversation, but close for his master to summon him.

 

Yuri gently pushes the wheel chair back into the study, all the while acutely aware of her future husband’s eyes on her back. It sends warm all over her.

 

“Are you sure about this?” The man wastes no time for pleasantries.

 

“Yes Sir” Yuri says firmly.

 

“No threat from your siblings?”

 

Yuri decides to tell the truth. “They despise the match. I offered my self.”

 

“Why?”

 

Why? She doesn’t know the answer. It was all coming from impulse. Is that called sacrifice? Not exactly. “Honestly, I don’t even know myself. But I can say that it’s not a sacrifice.” She doesn’t mean to charm the old man, but his eyes hold hers with renew admiration.

 

“Is it about Yunho then?”

 

“No Sir, I just met him today. I know it sounds doubtful even for my own ears since Jessica is my friend. And of course one cannot ignore his fame.”

 

He nods his head, satisfied with her answer. “That’s all I need to hear.”

 

“Sir?”

 

“I’ve been keeping an eye on you girl, even since you were a babe.”  

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“I’m famish.” He ignores her surprise. “I wonder what cook has prepare for us tonight.”

 

Yuri cannot stop thinking about her conversation with the old man.

 

 

 

They all have agreed on last September for the wedding ceremony, a month right after she graduates. She also has building steady relationship with Yunho. He picks her up from school every day for five weeks before her graduation. He goes dinner with her twice in a week. He brings her to meet his partners on weekend for golf.  Sadly, none of it changes his demeanor toward her. Yunho is apt to be a responsible husband, but not the loving one.

 

For five miserable weeks, oftentimes Yuri changes her mind. In the end, she can’t help but to envy her sister. Why can’t she have husband like Jaejoong whose eyes are always glued upon his wife? There are times she almost decided to call it off. But then she sees Ji struggled hard to maintain the company or the old Mr. Jung paying call to her and talk to her for hours. It makes her pulls back her selfish decision.

 

One day, she is made to think hard after Taeyeon delivers her speech.

 

“Your fate is in your hand Yuri. I know you are scared, confused, and unsure of all this. But the decision is yours. You can make your future bright, full of happiness, but you can also make it otherwise. Do not ever afraid of falling down. It is a risk of having life. He is a good man. All you need to do is to reach his heart and he is all yours.”  

 

“You don’t know what you are talking about.” Yuri retorts. “Beside, you don’t know how it feels.”

 

Taeyeon smiles brightly. “Oh but I do know who had tried it and succeed.”

 

“Who?”   

 

 Taeyeon doens't answer her. She does it on purpose.

 


 

Hi!!!!!!!!!!

I'm back with this story. This one will only have five or six chapters.

Because today is special, I'll post two chapters.

Thank you for reading my story. Enjoy ^_^