Wait for Me

exo oneshot collection

Wait for Me

 

Baekhyun is fourteen when he first meets little seven year old Jongin. Baekhyun is taking up a babysitting job for a bit of extra cash, only because it was his mom's best friend's son, and his mom has been begging him to do it since who knows when.

 

"Jongin is a really good kid. I don't think you'll have any problems with him," Mrs. Kim assures, and Baekhyun nods his head and bids the couple to have a nice time at dinner.

 

He peeks into Jongin's room, only to find the little boy playing by himself with a little toy car. Baekhyun thinks that Jongin is pretty cute. As he knocks on the door, Jongin looks up with wide and curious eyes. He stops what he's doing and stares at Baekhyun. Baekhyun figures that Jongin is wondering who he is, so he smiles and says, "Hey there Jongin! I'm Baekhyun, your babysitter."

 

"What's a babysitter? Do you sit on babies?" Jongin asks, as he returns his sight to his toy car.

 

Baekhyun is a bit taken aback by how straight forward Jongin is, but nevertheless he enters the room and takes a seat on the floor across from Jongin. He chuckles just a bit to show his amusement, and he replies, "No, nothing like that. I just take care of you for a while your parents are out."

 

"Then why are you called a baby sitter?"

 

"Uh," Baekhyun drawls, "I have no idea. Maybe because you're sitting down when I'm watching you?"

 

Jongin immediately stands up and gives Baekhyun a look, before he asks, "How about if I'm standing up? Are you a baby stander now?"

 

Baekhyun laughs at Jongin's philosophy, before he sits him down again and tells him, "I'll just be the person who takes care of you, while your parents are gone for an hour or two."

 

"Good enough," Jongin nods, and Baekhyun smiles in content.

 

Jongin goes back to playing with his cars, and Baekhyun ends up staring at the wall. Baekhyun doesn't know why, but he thinks that he will probably enjoy baby sitting Jongin.

 

--

 

Baekhyun and Jongin grow closer as the two spend more time together. Especially when they're watching movies together. It makes them closer as they share their views on cartoons.

 

"This is so sad!" Baekhyun bawls as little Jongin watches him cry and pats his shoulder and assures him that everything is alright.

 

"Oh come on, it's not that sad!"

 

"His wife died before he did! And they were so beautiful together," Baekhyun sobs, and Jongin wipes his tears with his small fingers. Jongin hugs Baekhyun from the side and buries his face into Baekhyun's wet neck. 

 

"They were going to go on adventures and stuff together," Baekhyun cries, and Jongin breathes into Baekhyun's neck, "It's okay, Hyung. Everything is okay."

 

Baekhyun sniffs, before he rests his head onto Jongin's head. He wipes his tears as Jongin pulls away and smiles. Jongin likes it when Baekhyun's eyes shine when he's happy, and he also likes it when he's the cause of it. Jongin pats Baekhyun's head once more before the two begin to be fully immersed into the world of Disney Pixar's "Up".

 

--

 

"Can you wait for me Hyung?" Jongin asks one day, as the two are playing with Jongin's toy cars. Jongin never lets anyone play with his remote control car, however today he allowed Baekhyun to play with it. 

 

"Huh? Wait for you?" Baekhyun asks, confused on what he means.

 

"Wait for me, Hyung. When I grow up, I'll be tall, strong and handsome. I'll be able to take care of you, I promise. I'll wipe your tears when you cry during movies, and I'll make you happy every chance I get. Wait for me," Jongin tells Baekhyun, and Baekhyun just looks at Jongin.

 

Jongin's only seven, so he doesn't know what's out there. Laws against gay marriage, dating under aged people, there's a lot Jongin doesn't know yet. But Baekhyun gives him a smile, and throws an arm around his shoulders, before saying, "If you really grow up to be tall, strong, and handsome, I'll wait for you."

 

Jongin's eyes light up as he hears those words, and he grins as he nods his head and promises, "I'll grow up just like that for you Hyung. I promise!"

 

--

 

As years pass, Jongin doesn't need a baby sitter anymore, so Jongin doesn't get to see Baekhyun as much. When Baekhyun goes off to college, Jongin doesn't even remember why he admired him. He forgot their movie time dates, the tears that he helped wiped away, and the cups of ramen that he loved so much. When Baekhyun went off to college, Jongin threw away all of his old toy cars. He's a grown fourteen year old now, he doesn't need toys.

 

As Jongin enters high school, Baekhyun is almost finished with the first four years college. All of the frat parties he attended, all of the exhausting all-nighters he managed to pull, all of the experimental alcohol shots he took has made him forget all about Jongin.

 

So when the two finally meet after many years, Baekhyun is hitting 29 with a great office job at SKHC directing product quality and Jongin is 22, fresh out of college. 

 

"Jongin! Remember Baekhyun? He used to baby sit you when you were younger," his mom introduces, and Baekhyun gives him a dazzling smile and a firm handshake.

 

"Hey Jongin! Nice seeing you again," Baekhyun greets, and Jongin returns with a shy smile.

 

The two are at Baekhyun's parent's dinner party, and they're the only people who are under 40 there. Jongin doesn't remember Baekhyun's house well, and he's not really in the mood to mingle with adults while he has a job interview to get ready for, so he takes a seat on the couch and hopes no one will bother him.

 

"Bored?" he hears a voice call out, and he turns his head to see Baekhyun taking a seat next to him. As Jongin nods his head, Baekhyun laughs. Jongin finds his laugh familiar and awfully nostalgic, and he suddenly wishes that he were seven again because those were the days when he didn't have to think about what he had to do next. He didn't have to worry about school, or a way to make money to help his parents pay off his college debts.

 

"I have a TV in my room. We can go watch 'Up' if you want," Baekhyun suggests, and Jongin laughs a bit, "Why 'Up'?"

 

"It was your favorite movie when you were seven," Baekhyun shrugs, and Jongin is surprised.

 

"You remembered? I can barely remember what I used to eat when I was seven," Jongin admits, and Baekhyun laughs before he shakes his head and explains, "No, I was just going through my old stuff and there was a DVD case that was labeled with 'Jongin's favorite movie'."

 

"Oh," Jongin drawls, a bit disappointed that Baekhyun didn't really remember, but then again he didn't remember either.

 

"So… Do you wanna watch it?" Baekhyun asks, and Jongin nods because why not? Up was always a great classic.

 

The two head upstairs without question and the adults don't seem to mind them skipping dinner. As Jongin slips in the DVD, Baekhyun slips downstairs and steals two steaks and a bottle of sparkling apple cider from the kitchen. He runs back upstairs without a word, and his mom allows him to pass. Besides, she's not going to miss that bottle of bubbly anyways.

 

Baekhyun pops open the top, and pours it into two flukes and hands Jongin one, before he says, "I used to drink this all the time when I was younger, since my parents never let me taste the champagne. I turn red when I scrub my face so I would scrub my face with a face towel and go downstairs pretending that I actually drank alcohol."

 

Jongin grins and replies, "I used to drink grape juice in a wine glass because my parents wouldn't let me have wine. I'm too dark to turn red, so I would just act dizzy just to make my parents laugh."

 

"Ah, the old days," Baekhyun sighs, just as the movie starts. 

 

Yes, the old days, Jongin thinks.

 

As they're watching, Jongin glances over to Baekhyun just as a specific moment ended, and he sees Baekhyun's face full of tears. It's been 15 years and Baekhyun still hasn't gotten over the sadness of "Ellie" dying. As Baekhyun wipes his tears, Jongin flashes back to the old days when they used to cuddle together on the couch, and his seven year old self is wiping away the tears for him.

 

"Hyung, are you okay?" Jongin asks softly, and Baekhyun pauses the movie and starts to bawl into his hands.

 

"It's just so sad every time! They're perfect together!" Baekhyun cries, and Jongin scoots over closer to Baekhyun and pats his back soothingly. It's weird, Jongin thinks, because they're not kids anymore. The both of them are wearing suits, eating steak, and drinking expensive sparking apple cinder from crystal flukes, but Baekhyun is still bawling like when he was fourteen. 

 

The funniest thing is that Jongin finds it incredibly endearing and hugs Baekhyun like old times.

 

"Hyung, it's not even that sad."

 

"Jongin aren't you listening to me? They're perfect for each other and then she just had to die, like Jesus Christ you don't just do this to me!" Baekhyun wails and Jongin just continues to hug and pat Baekhyun, before he finally calms down and they continue watching the movie.

 

They move from sitting on the ground to laying on Baekhyun's bed, and their legs are entangled into some type of knot as they move their attention away from the movie and onto how they've been doing. Baekhyun is doing fine, working from nine to five, sometimes even till seven. Jongin is about the same, except he just left college with a business degree and he's currently trying to find a good job.

 

They catch up on the last fifteen years, and by the time they're finished, Jongin has to go home. Jongin hugs Baekhyun goodbye, and Baekhyun ruffles his hair and tells him, "If your job interview doesn't work out for you, there's a spot open in my department that I could recommend you for."

 

Jongin gladly accepts the offer, and the two exchange phone numbers before Jongin actually leaves. As Baekhyun gets ready to sleep in his childhood bedroom after a long while, he stares longingly at his bedroom door. Jongin has gotten lot handsomer since the last time he saw him, and there was no denying that the little kid was still there.

 

--

 

The next day, Baekhyun gets word that his request for an assistant has been accepted, and Baekhyun sulks because he was really looking forward to giving the job to Jongin. So when said assistant enters his office, Baekhyun doesn't look up. 

 

"Mr. Byun, do you need help with anything?"

 

The voice sounds nervous, but still smooth and professional. It voices of chocolate velvet, yet… similar. Baekhyun looks up and his mind goes blank as he drops his pen.

 

"Oh, Hyung!"

 

Jongin's hair is slicked back and airy, nothing like his natural hair from last night. His suit is fresh and a different shade of dark blue from last night, and he's wearing specs. Baekhyun never knew that Jongin wore glasses. Jongin looks so different from last night, and Baekhyun can't help but stare.

 

"Hyung?" Jongin asks, as he comes closer and Baekhyun snaps out of his trance.

 

"Oh, Jongin," Baekhyun sputters, as he grabs a yellow folder he had been meaning to hand to the department over, "I didn't know you wore glasses."

 

Jongin laughs before he shakes his head and admits, "It's just for style."

 

"Oh…"

 

"I guess you don't have to offer me that job anymore," Jongin tells him, and Baekhyun grins and says, "Mr. Lee beat me to it already."

 

Jongin takes a seat on the couch before looking around Baekhyun's office. It's nice, neat, and pretty official looking. A picture of Baekhyun holding a girl in his arms, bridal style, on his desk catches him off guard, and his heart sinks down into his stomach. Suddenly, he flashes back to the time when he asked Baekhyun to wait for him, and his feelings for Baekhyun all come back to him, as he watches Baekhyun scribble error after error on his product defect forms.

 

"Hey Jongin, can you bring this folder to Director Jung? She should be on the 4th floor," Baekhyun requests mindlessly, as he remembers about the yellow folder and Jongin gets up and accepts the folder. "Sure thing, Hyung," Jongin whispers, before he glances at the picture one last time, feeling helpless like a little seven year old losing his favorite toy at the park.

 

--

 

Months later, Jongin finds himself humming to U-Kiss's new song as he rearranges Baekhyun's bookshelf for the fun of it. Jongin has already completed all of his duties today, so now he either hangs out in Baekhyun's office while Baekhyun is in a meeting, or he goes home. Jongin tends to choose the first choice, so today instead of betting on which soccer team is going to win the World Cup (as he normally does with Luhan and Minseok), he chose to be a bit productive.

 

Just as he finishes placing all of the "How to be Productive" books on the shelf, the office door opens and a female comes in. Jongin tenses as he recognizes her to be the same female in Baekhyun's desk picture. He bows and he greets, "Hello Madame, how may I help you?"

 

There's a surprised expression on the female's face, as she sets her eyes on him. She looks around the office, before she asks, "Is this Byun Baekhyun's office?"

 

Jongin really ponders if he should tell her that it isn't Baekhyun's office but right when he opens to do the opposite, Baekhyun walks through the door saying, "Hey Jongin-ah, do you want to eat dinner?"

 

It was like a scheduled routine; Baekhyun would be done with work and the both of them would go out to eat every Wednesday and Friday, however when Baekhyun looks up, all he can see is the female.

 

"Oh, Daemi!" Baekhyun exclaims, as he opens his arms for a hug. Daemi grins and takes the hug as Baekhyun adds, "Why didn't you call before coming? I could've picked you up!"

 

"Oppa, you know there's no need for that," Daemi giggles, and Jongin feels all lost and forgotten. Jongin continues his bookshelf organizing as Baekhyun and Daemi have more small talk. Jongin turns around to grab a book from Baekhyun's desk, when he catches a glimpse of Baekhyun pecking Daemi's forehead.

 

Jongin didn't know heartbreak could feel so agonizing.

 

--

 

"Jongin-ah, are you ready for dinner? It's Friday," Baekhyun calls from his seat, and Jongin just feels like he should just go home and eat with his parents for a change. Maybe Baekhyun wants to go eat with Daemi, Jongin thinks, and he grabs his blazer from the coat rack and says, "I think I'll eat with my parents today Hyung."

 

Computer clicks stop abruptly and Jongin turns to see Baekhyun staring at him in confusion.

 

"Huh? But it's Friday today!" Baekhyun exclaims.

 

"It was Wednesday on Wednesday," Jongin laments, and Baekhyun replies, "We didn't eat on Wednesday because Daemi came and visited me."

 

The tone Baekhyun used made him sound like it was the obvious thing to do, and Jongin feels like he can't take it anymore. Jongin frowns and throws his blazer onto the couch, before he exclaims, "But you said you'd wait for me, and you obviously didn't!"

 

"Wait for you?" Baekhyun mumbles confused, "Wait for you for what…?"

 

Right when those words came out of his mouth, it all clicked.

 

"Oh."

 

"I'm stupid, right Hyung? Stupid to hope that you would remember when I didn't even remember until a few months ago," Jongin mutters, and Baekhyun jumps from his seat and says, "Wait, Jongin, do you think I'm dating Daemi?"

 

"Well, I mean you have a picture of her in your arms on your desk and then when she came in on Wednesday you lit up like a fireball. What am I supposed to expect?" Jongin asks, and Baekhyun laughs before he tells him, "Daemi is my cousin."

 

"Your… cousin?"

 

Baekhyun laughs and nods his head before he comes closer to Jongin stares into his eyes. "I haven't dated anyone since the fourth grade, and that was only because it was a dare and I never break dares," Baekhyun whispers.

 

"Hyung…"

 

"I've actually been waiting all of this time, Jongin. I didn't know why I was waiting, but now I remember," Baekhyun admits, and Jongin finds his heart swelling up in joy. Jongin is clearly speechless because for the past months he's been stressing over heartache, and now that it's gone Jongin doesn't know what to do.

 

"You know, you've grown tall and handsome, but I don't think you're strong yet," Baekhyun teases, as he looks up slightly to meet Jongin's eyes again. Jongin takes his newly found confidence and wraps his arms around Baekhyun's waist, pulling him closer with a locked tight grip. "Are you sure I haven't gotten stronger hyung?"

 

Baekhyun smirks, "I don't know. Do you want to prove me wrong?"

 

Jongin swoops down to Baekhyun's height and nods yes, before he steals Baekhyun's first real kiss, and Baekhyun does the same.


a/n: i wrote this a while back for my friend Kris and decided that I wanted to store it here- weeee hope you liked it lmao