Chapter 2

49 Days

Xiumin wasn't good at dealing with surprises. 
He hated when people crept up on him, he hated scary movies that made him jump. He was someone who would end up overthinking situations and then make himself paranoid. He slept with the windows closed and the doors locked, because it was simply in his nature to be overly cautious. He was well aware that he was weak when it came to unexpected and uncontrollable situations.

When xiumin had gotten up on Saturday morning, he was expecting his day to be like any other. He was still somewhat dazed and groggy from staying up late the night before and he wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing. Being the sleepy uni student he was, his first plan of action in the morning was to make a coffee to wake himself up. 

After finally dragging himself from his warm bed he groggily made his way into his small kitchen, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he flicked the power point of his jug on, yawning as the water slowly came to a boil. 

"Do you know how long I've been looking for you?"

Xiumin blinked stupidly, his still half asleep brain trying to process what he had just heard. 

"You left me in some clinic and I get told that I'm going to be sent to some specialist for head trauma?! Do you know how much time I wasted having to break out?! I need to get back my arrow and go back to my place in heaven!" 

Xiumin snapped upright, the mug he had been holding tumbling from between his fingers and smashing onto the floor, his eyes wide with fear as he took in the sight before him: Luhan, the man from the park, the man that had been knocked unconscious, the man he had taken to the doctors with Tao - was sitting cross legged on his bench top, his brows furrowed and his lips turned down unhappily. 

Xiumin stood frozen in shock, unable to process what was going on. Luhan's frown deepened as he watched the bewildered Xiumin, and he shimmied himself down from his perch on the bench, taking a few steps towards the frozen boy.

That's when it all clicked in Xiumin's head: Luhan's brain had been so badly damaged by Tao's powerful kick that he was totally and utterly convinced he was some magical being. Luhan was obviously out to get him, and would stop at nothing to fulfil his insane delusion caused by the brain damage he had suffered. 

Xiumin let out a shriek of pure terror once the realisation hit him, and he scrambled backwards, his back hitting the bench behind him and his elbow hitting the jug of boiling water, spilling most of its contents.

Luhan winced at the high pitched scream, confusion flashing across his pretty face as he took in Xiumin's terrified reaction. 

"Xiumin?" He asked cautiously, stepping towards the cowering boy slowly. Luhan bit his lip nervously, having no idea how to deal with humans.

"Please don't hurt me!" Xiumin begged. "You need to get help! I had no idea that Tao's kick was so damaging, please let me call the ambulance to get you! You're not an angel, you just think you are because of the head trauma you experienced!" 

Luhan gaped, totally confused. "What are you going on about?!" 

"You're a normal person, but when you were kicked by Tao you suffered some pretty bad head trauma and it's effecting you badly! You're a danger to yourself and others! Please just go and sit down and let me get help for you" Xiumin begged desperately, scrambling in the opposite direction as Luhan neared him.

"What the heck?! Are you suggesting I'm a human like you?!" Luhan spluttered. "You're making my mission more difficult than necessary! Just let me pull it out of your neck and I'll leave!" Luhan lunged at Xiumin, reaching for the arrow that was so clearly imbedded in the young mans neck.

"There's nothing in my neck! You're crazy!" Xiumin screamed in terror, dodging Luhan's lunge. "Oh god, please don't do this to me!"

Luhan spun around and lunged at Xiumin again, grabbing a fistful of his pajama shirt and using it to pull Xiumin back. Xiumin, who was already struggling to avoid Luhan in the small kitchen space stumbled and found himself pinned on the cold floor under Luhan's wiry frame. 

Luhan was breathing heavily, frustrated by the human. "Xiumin, I don't want to do this anymore than you do, but I need to go back to heaven. I'm sick of this human body and the only way I can go back is to get my arrow, and it happens to be in your neck" 

Xiumin withered around desperately, trying to escape. He was sure Luhan was going to kill him. "Oh god! Oh god why is this happening to me" Xiumin wailed desperately, clawing and struggling in a vain attempt to escape.

"Stay still! I just want to go back to heaven!" Luhan cried.  

"No! No no no no!!! Please don't hurt me!!!" Xiumin screamed, his eyes widening as he watched helplessly as Luhan reached towards his neck.

Xiumin screamed, convinced he was about to have his neck snapped, or at least end up being strangled by a delusional young man.

Luhan leant down, somewhat breathless "Just relax, it won't hurt a bit" 

It was all too much for Xiumin to handle. He could hear a ringing sound in his ears and he felt cold and clammy. He was bad at dealing with shock, and before he could regain control of his breathing he felt his vision fading to small spots as everything else was consumed by darkness. 


                                                                                                        . . . . . . . . . . 

Luhan stared down at the unconscious boy below him, a frown etched deeply on his face.

He had no idea why Xiumin had reacted the way he had, but when the man had suddenly gone limp as he tried to pull the arrow from his neck Luhan nearly had a heart attack thinking he had accidentally killed him. When Luhan realized Xiumin had fainted, he instantly felt bad and had half carried, half dragged the boy to what he assumed was his bedroom, pulling him onto the bed and sitting on him to stop him from escaping once he woke up. 

All there was for him to do was wait.

Luhan sighed miserably. He had no idea how to deal with humans. He was only being honest and trying to get his job done, but they reacted as if he were mad and it got problematic for him almost every time. He didn't understand why they all seemed to act so strangely towards him. 

Luhan looked down with a start when he heard Xiumin let out a soft groan.

"Oh you're awake!" Luhan smiled as Xiumin's eyes slowly cracked open. 

Xiumin didn't seem to recognise him immediately, his eyes remained somewhat blank as he stared up at the boy sitting on him until he finally came to his senses - Xiumin's face paled drastically as recognition flashed across his face, his chest rose sharply as he breathed in in fear and Luhan was even able to see the boys pupils dilating as his eyes widened.

"You don't have to be afraid" Luhan spoke gently, opting to take the safer path and treat the obviously mentally fragile human the way he would a small furry animal. "I'm going to take care of you" 

"You are sitting on me" Xiumin blabbered, his eyes wide.

"Yes, but I'm only sitting on you to keep you still so you won't hurt yourself anymore"

On queue, Xiumin winced in pain, a small cry leaving his lips as his arm rubbed against the fabric of his bed. 

"You spilt boiling water all over yourself while you were fooling around in the kitchen" Luhan had the audacity to roll his eyes, and Xiumin's mouth popped open, unable to believe the nerve of the mad man currently seated on his chest. "I'll get you fixed up in no time though, that is unless you can promise to behave when I get off you"

"Can you please leave me alone" Xiumin finally begged.

"Only if you promise to stay still and move calmly" Luhan smiled brightly, and Xiumin's fear increased tenfold. In the current situation he was in, his calculated chances of escaping the madman were slim, and throwing himself out the window was currently an option he was considering.

"Do you promise?" Luhan's voice broke his chain of thought and he looked back up at the man looking down at him.

Xiumin swallowed nervously. "O-okay, I promise"

"You better not break your promise" Luhan said nonchalantly as he slid off Xiumin's chest, crossing his legs beneath him and staring at the boy who had already managed to push himself to the furthest corner of the bed away from him. Luhan frowned.

"I moved calmly!" Xiumin squeaked when he saw that's Luhan's eyes were narrowed at the distance he had put between them already.

"Well, you've moved too far away for me to help you with that burn. Come back over here"

Xiumin shook his head violently, and Luhan sighed. "Fine I'll go to you, you brat"

Xiumin barely had time to open his mouth in an attempt to stop the blonde haired boy from nearing him, but before he could utter a single word he found himself pressed against the headboard of his bed and a crazy man who thought he possessed magic powers. Xiumin opted to not speak incase he induced the wrath of the blonde man.

"Ooh that's a nasty burn" Luhan frowned as he examined the red and raw skin of Xiumin's arm. "You really did a good job of panicking and making a mess of yourself" Luhan's hands hovered over Xiumin's body, searching for more possible wounds. Xiumin sat as still as a statue, afraid that any movement would snap Luhan from his calm state and lead to him being strangled.

"You've got a few cuts on your feet too. I think it's from stepping on bits of that thing you dropped. It smashed all over the floor" Luhan said, more to himself than Xiumin. 

Xiumin was totally bewildered. He couldn't understand why Luhan was suddenly taking care of him when the last thing he remembered from before waking up was a situation involving violent yelling and fear as the blonde man chased him around the kitchen before pinning him to the floor, blabbering about heaven and arrows as he tried to yank something that wasn't even there from his neck. It was like the man had totally different personalities. 

"Please don't go crazy, but why are you doing this? I thought you wanted to, I don't know, pull my throat out or something" Xiumin whispered, eyeing the boy examining him in fear. 

Luhan laughed. "Pull your throat out?! It's my job to look after humans! I feel like I owe you even more what with all I've put you through. It's the least I can do before getting my job done and going home"

Xiumin swallowed in fear. Obviously the young mans thoughts were still addled and he certainly hadn't forgotten about the supposed arrow in his neck, or being an angel. 

"A-ah... okay" Xiumin decided to go along with the blonde man, in a vain hope to lessen the torture he would surely be subjected to. He idly wondered if his neighbours would hear his his screams if he was loud enough. He frowned as he considered all the possibilities, all of which tended to end with him being dead. Things weren't looking bright for him and he flinched nervously as Luhan's fingers lingered beside a spot on his neck.

"It's funny how humans can't see what's so obviously there. Animals can see the old magic, and plants are able to react to it too. But humans... it's like they've forgotten it over time and their capabilities to sense it have vanished along with the memories" Luhan's lips turned down as he stared at Xiumin's neck.

"U-uh huh" Xiumin pressed his body further away from the young man, uncomfortable and afraid of the nonsense Luhan was spouting.

Luhan's gaze suddenly broke away from whatever he was seeing when Xiumin moved, and he looked up with a bright smile on his face. 

"This won't hurt a bit, so don't panic and pass out on me" 

Xiumin yelped in terror when he felt one of Luhan's hands closing around one side of his neck, almost as if he were supporting it. His other hand came up and seemed to grab something beside his neck, grasping at air. Luhan almost seemed like a mime acting.

"Wh-"

Before Xiumin could even finish, Luhan seemed to tug on nothing before sitting back and grinning. "There I've got it" 

For a few moments there was nothing but silence. 

"Wait. That's it? That's all?" Xiumin gasped, breaking the deathly silence as his hand automatically reached up to cup his neck.

Luhan snorted. "Yes, silly. What did you think I was going to do? Wring your neck to get my arrow?"

Xiumin sat back, feeling stunned. "You means after stalking me and all that arguing and panicking you literally only wanted to pull on air?"

"It's not air!" Luhan objected hotly. "It's an arrow! you're a human and humans are practically blind, is all"

"I can't believe this. You need medical attention even more than I thought"

Luhan's cheeks pinked. "I know I don't make a good human, cut me some slack! I've only been in this body for a few days and human bodies are so confusing! I keep making growling sounds and it hurts too! That's why I want to go home so desperately."

Xiumin managed a bewildered shake of his head. "Insane. Totally addled. You need to be institutionalised until you get better"

Luhan huffed. "Whatever. You're an annoying human, give me your arm so I can fix you up and then I'll go"

Xiumin obliged silently, now somewhat assured that the young man wasn't out to kill him. It seemed that as long as he went along with Luhan's bizarre requests the young man was manageable, and hopefully he would leave and Xiumin would be able to return to normal life. 

"I've never tried this on a real life human" Luhan said absently, his cool hands suddenly grasping Xiumin's badly burnt arm.

Xiumin jumped, but soon stilled and frowned when he noticed the absence of pain. "Luha-?"

Before Xiumin's very eyes, Luhan's hands seemed to have thinned to a almost transparent state, the air seeming to visibly fluctuate around Luhan's hands as well as Xiumin's wounded arm, which just so happened to look not as wounded as he recalled. Xiumin's mouth opened with and audible pop, a breathless gasp leaving his lips as he tried to comprehend what he was seeing. The raw, burnt skin of his arm was healing, and at an alarming rate. The skin seemed to warp as the air around it shimmered and glowed for a few moments before Luhan removed his hands. 

"There, all fixed up! I did a better job then I expected" Luhan smiled brightly, admiring his handy work on Xiumin's once again creamy skinned and mended arm. "Is it all okay?" He looked up at Xiumin expectantly.  

Xiumin was in quite the state. His mind was racing and he was struggling to string together comprehensible thoughts. He could believe what he had just seen. He broke out into a cold sweat as he stared wide eyed at his arm. 

"I've gone mad" he muttered. "All this stress has driven me mad" 

Luhan was ignoring him. "I'll help fix up your foot too"

Xiumin was too bewildered to make any move to stop the blonde haired man as he worked the same process on his sliced up foot, but when he finally looked down and spotted a pleased looking Luhan sitting beside his feet which were covered in blood but without a single scratch, it finally hit Xiumin. 

"You're a magic boy" Xiumin said stupidly, his voice weak. His eyes rolled back as the shock became too great, and for the second time that day he passed clean away.

 

 

.......

A/N

Oh my gosh I can't believe how long its taken me to update this story... I'm so sorry for all of the people who have been waiting.
School has been so busy and senior year is a lot more hectic than I had ever anticipated.
Sorry for the crappy chapter, I feel like all my writing inspiration has left me. School work is so draining and I feel like a walking corpse after all the assignments and essays I have to write for school.

I'll try my best to write and update more regularly!
Anyway~ until next time! ^^