The Getaway

It's been ever since...

The airport was swarmed with all sorts of people. There were mothers trying to soothe their crying infants, business men talking on their cell phones as if their life depended on that phone call. Then there were the tourists with their eyes bright and full of wonder as they, for the first time set foot onto the ground of Seoul.

Then, there was a woman standing in the middle of the airport, letting all these various groups of people walk past her like a great blur. She was wearing a large pale orange sun hat and a slightly ruffled orange sun dress. She stood there, staring at the departure flights wondering if she should stay or go. Everyone knew the reason why they were at an airport, except for her.

Was she here to escape? Or was she here to forget?

She did not know.

Either way, she was going to take the next flight to Bahamas.

With that thought in mind, she smiled, letting herself be led on by her willful heart which did not wish to be chained down to someone she did not love.

She was going to run away and be free from the heavy chains that engagement held.

Yet again, she knew he loved her, more than she could ever imagine. But was that love enough? Was it enough for her to dedicate her life to?

Picking her suitcase up from the ground, she headed towards the departure gates. For the moment, she didn't want to think about anything or remember anything. After she stepped through those gates, she was no longer BoA Kwon. BoA Kwon had many troubles and worries. The person she was going to be would have none.

None at all.

*

Just a few meters away from her, another individual was looking at the departure flights. He was wearing sun glasses and was dressed casually, wearing a beanie and a rugged pair of jeans together with a printed tee. Slung across one shoulder was a brown bag with the tips of paint brushes jutting out.

Gone were the expensive suits, sophisticated girlfriends, camera flashes and newspaper articles which always portrayed him as the flamboyant son of Korea's richest tycoon whose capabilities on the other hand were impressive. "What will happen to Kim's Corporation after son's succession?" A half smile played across his lips as he remembered the headlines of yesterday's papers. It was just a facade anyway.

Well at least nothing would be happening soon as he had no intention to succeed his father. A half smile played across his lips as he pictured the shocked looks of horror the housekeepers would have when they came up to his room this morning and found it empty.

"Hmm, Aunty Sue is probably at my door now," he said out loud, looking at his watch. Then the household would kick up a fuss and there'd probably be an island wide search after despite him leaving a letter saying that he had gone on a trip.

It wasn't that he was being irresponsible; it was just that his heart was not in the business or in the hard glare of the spotlights. He had dreams of his own that he wanted to chase, dreams that were kept locked away due to his father's disproval. He thought that in the long run, he could persuade his father to let him pursue his ambitions, but now it seemed a futile thought.

However, going off by himself and leaving his father and the business in the lurch wasn't something he could do either. He sighed, what a dilemma he was in.

But right now he did not want to burden his mind with reality.

"Flight 445 departing for the Bahamas is boarding now" came the announcement over the intercom. He smiled, shaking off his troubles putting his hand on his brown bag holding his dreams.

At this moment of time, he was no longer the son of a tycoon on the brink of succession, but just himself - Kim Jae Joong; a man without obligations or responsibilities, only a man with wants and dreams.

 

Copyright Alexis 2008-2011