Nassau

It's been ever since...

"Yes, that's me," BoA replied with a polite smile as she quickly picked up the photograph from the ground and swiftly put it back into her bag.

The guy with the beanie nodded his head in acknowledgement and settled back into his seat, silently thinking how cute that little girl in the photo was. It was no wonder that that little girl had blossomed into the woman before him. He could not help but notice the air of sophistication around her. For a fleeting moment, his curiosity was aroused. But just then, the air stewardess had come over with hot towels and his attention moved away from her.

BoA continued to read her magazine.

By this time, he too had plugged his headphones into his iPod and was humming softly to himself.

From the safety behind her magazine, BoA stole a glance at the guy with the beanie. He had delicate features - ranging from his beautiful shining eyes to the perfectly aquiline nose. Yet he was masculine at the same time with a strong jaw line, broad shoulders and a lean build.

Just as her thoughts started to wander, she felt the plane starting to move and BoA shifted her attention away from the stranger to the mini TV screen before her which was playing the plane's safety video.

About 10 minutes later, BoA felt the plane slanting upwards and soon, it was off the ground. Now it was going to be another grueling 15 hours before she gets to see the welcoming sunny beaches of Bahamas.

*

A few hours had passed and dinner on the plane had come and gone. Now the lights were dimmed and the people around her were mostly sleeping soundly or engrossed in their movies. A few of them had their private lights on for reading.

BoA had had her blanket over her, ready to get at least a few hours of sleep. It had been a tiring day.

Just as her mind was about to drift off to dreamland, BoA felt someone nudging her. She opened her eyes and looked up to see the guy with the beanie standing over her, except that this time, he wasn't wearing his beanie anymore, and it allowed his fringe to stray handsomely across his forehead.

He gave her a quick smile, "You dropped your headphones," he said in a hushed tone.

BoA glanced down and saw her headphones in his outstretched hand. Immediately, she felt embarrassed.

"Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to," she apologized.

"A second time you've dropped something before me today," he replied with a hint of playfulness in his tone.

BoA smiled sheepishly in silent agreement, "Yeah...thanks."

She was eager to get back to sleep.

The guy chuckled softly, shaking his head as he continued to walk down the aisle towards the washroom.

BoA closed her eyes, once again indulging herself in her beauty sleep.

*

Jae Joong stepped out of the airport and shaded his eyes as he looked up at the clear blue morning sky of Bahamas. The plane from Korea had landed in the capital, Nassau, not long ago. It was about 8 am in the morning.

He took in the sights and sounds around him. They were all so foreign and yet refreshing - from the swaying palm trees and beaches to its turquoise waters and tropical climate. It was like a paradise.

Feeling a sense of excitement bubbling up from within, he did a few skips and twirled round, his bag swinging alongside.

"Freedom at last!" he exclaimed silently in his mind, arms outstretched, feeling the warm morning air of Bahamas. He grinned widely in satisfaction, enjoying every bit of freedom.

Time for Art. He thought, grinning even wider as he made his way to the nearby beach.

He found himself a seat at the nearest bench on the beach and plopped himself down comfortably, observing his surroundings. There was an ice cream seller just setting up his stall against a panoramic view of the ocean. Suddenly, he felt inspired. Taking out his painting tools, he started to work on his first Art piece in Bahamas...

A distance away from him, a familiar figure entered his sight. It seemed like one of the passengers in the plane. She was walking towards the main road.

Turning, he saw that it was the woman in the orange sun dress and she was flagging a cab.

*

"Have a great day, Miss!"

BoA nodded with a smile and thanked the shop tender as she walked away with a bag full of yummy looking sweets. In her other hand, she held her favorite camera which had been faithfully capturing all the moments of the afternoon. Just that morning, she had landed in Bahamas.

Jugglers, fire eaters, magicians, she had seen them all. The market place of Nassau was one filled with many exotic things and people. It took more than an afternoon to tour round the whole market area.

"Shells, Miss! Pretty shells for a pretty lady!" a thin, cheerful looking man called out, dangling a seashell necklace in front of her. He had many more hanging around his other hand.

BoA shook her head and rejected politely, "No thanks, it's alright."

The man laughed gaily and draped the necklace around her neck, "Take it as a gift Senorita! Free. The necklace needs a pretty owner."

"Thank you sir!" she replied, surprised, the necklace. It was made of a string of small simple shells with a big cowry pendant.

BoA walked towards the quieter end of the market where she saw pottery makers and sculptors. They waved their wares at her but none caught her eye. Then just a short distance away, she saw an artist busy at work, his back turned towards her. He was sketching a voluptuous, doe eyed girl in front of him. Lying on the floor were a few works he had done. One piece in particular caught BoA's eye.

Among the many sketches of people, one of them was a painting depicting a scene in which she found exceptionally familiar. That panoramic view of the beach, that ice cream seller...she hadn't been in Bahamas that long. There were only a few places that she had been to.

Then it struck her. The airport! It was the airport!

Just as she was about to get a closer look, she heard him speak.

"Done, I hope you like it," she heard him say in English. It was near flawless but she could make out the light accent. He sounded like a Korean.

"Merci!" the woman said as she took the sketch from him and walked away with a satisfied smile.

Seeing that he was now free, BoA walked up to him.

"Excuse me, may I..."

The artist turned and a look of pure surprise flashed across his face.

"Hey! We meet again," he greeted.

BoA tilted her head, as if trying to figure out where she'd seen him."Oh... You were on the plane from Korea right?"

He nodded, "Yeah. I picked your photograph and headphones up for you."

BoA laughed softly, "That's right. Now I remember you."

She sat down on the stool in front of him. "May I request a painting from you?"

"Sure! Please sit straight and..."

"No, not of me," she interrupted, "but of a scenery."

"Oh?" His eyebrows raised, amused, "Well I guess I could make an exception," he replied cheerfully. "What would you like me to paint?"

BoA looked thoughtful, "Hmm...I can't think of any in particular at the moment. I'll let you know when I think of one."

He nodded, "No problem. Wow, it sure is getting hot here. I think I'll close my booth for awhile. Are you here by yourself?"

"Yes. And you?"

His face broke into a smile, "Same here, looks like we're both two lonely souls huh? Well how are you finding Nassau so far?"

"Lovely!" she exclaimed. "I've been snapping away all day."

He laughed, "Would you like to go for an ice cream treat? It's really hot!" he offered.

BoA thought for awhile before she nodded, laughing, "Why not?"

"Great!"

He slung his bag over his shoulder and held out a hand, hesitated for a moment before he introduced himself. "I'm Shin and you are?"

BoA smiled and took his hand. Similarly, it took her a little while before she replied, "Violette. It's nice to meet you."

 

Copyright Alexis 2008-2011