Prologue

It's been ever since...

Here at the crossroad
where memories were woven and carved
an exquisite extreme, yet a gentle lullaby

that soothes our souls; a remedy
for our pasts and a breakaway from expectations.

Gazing in the same
unwavering direction, at the same time spelling
two different stories,
we paused, mused, reflected.

We walked hand in hand, watched
as our footprints melted into sand, reaching out to
the vast blue sky, sky

greeting us with joy. Unaware that
we have thus changed

and it's been ever since...



He gripped the piece of paper tightly in his hand, so tightly that it shook slightly.

He kept his head bowed, his eyes re-reading the verses again and again trying to take in the harsh reality.

"Unaware that we have thus changed, unaware that we have thus changed." That particular sentence seemed to be amplified in his head. Although he had been denying it, he knew that her heart no longer belonged to him. It belonged to elsewhere, to the sky, to the sun or to another man, he didn't care. What mattered is that he had lost her.

Is everything going to be different? Is everything they ever had together has to be totally erased? It hurt knowing that it had all just been blown down so easily, like a young plant without roots to hold it firmly to the ground. It suddenly started to occur to him if they had had anything in the first place.

He closed his eyes and exhaled slowly as he placed the piece of paper back onto the table in the exact same position, as if the feelings it had been carrying had never been known. She had never planned to tell him, but still, he had found out about her feelings and the truth cut deep.

Rousing himself, he turned and walked towards the door. As he reached for the handle, he paused for a moment, his thoughts lingering on her. And then he took a deep breath and opened the door, ready to meet the awaiting guests.

But he knew he was going to lose her.