five.

Sight & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 “I’m just completely hopeless. I can’t log in for some reason. It says user profile cannot be read or something. I really need help.” The pitchy, sing-song voice reverberated around through the walls.

 “Luhan! Can you come here please?”

Pushing out from his chair, Luhan exhaled quietly as he made his way over to his manager’s call. He stared stonily at the two people, taking notice of the customer.

 “Ms. Kim needs her laptop looked at again.”

Ms. Kim’s, aka Hyuna, eyes glittered in delight when Luhan’s eyes pierced hers and a flutter of breaths escaped her. She gave him a small smile but his face remained unchanged. It was her second visit this month and they were only twenty days in.

 “I will work on it this evening. Come back tomorrow.”

Hyuna panicked and waved her hands. “No! I need it today.” She blushed as the other two men looked at her flustering about. “I- I have work to do and I need it by today. Please.”

 “I don’t see why we can’t do that. After all, speedy customer service is one of our work ethics,” said Luhan’s manager. Glancing at Luhan, he gestured his head towards the laptop. “I’m sure this won’t take you too much time, Luhan.” He raised an eyebrow, asserting his order. Luhan could only accept.

He took a moment before walking over to where Hyuna was. Switching on her laptop, they waited for it to boot. He shifted uneasily, trying to ignore Hyuna's obvious gawking. 

“Did you forget your password?” he asked.

 “Hmm?” With her chin resting on her palm, she glanced at him dazed.

 “Your password, did you forget?”

 “Of course not.”

 “Your laptop locked due to multiple invalid inputs.” Luhan looked at her with a solemn expression. She blinked a few times, the pink blush creeping upon her cheeks in an alarming manner. “The last time you came to us with your laptop, we installed a security software where it would lock for a time-out of twelve hours.

 “Oh, how silly of me! Maybe the caps lock was on and I didn’t notice,” Hyuna said hurriedly. She quickly closed her laptop and smiled at him. “You really know your way around computers, Luhan-oppa. I’m so bad with them.” Her smile widened, expecting him to return the gesture but he remained the same. Not to be knocked down by his nonchalance, she reached into her bag to pull out a small bag. She pushed it in his direction.

 “We don’t accept gifts from customers,” said Luhan firmly.

 “It’s just a token of appreciation.” Hyuna sighed, ruffling her dark red bangs. “Fine. I wanted to give this to you too.” The crumpled piece of paper made its way between them and Luhan glanced at it. “It would be nice to see you come visit. It’s not as exciting without you around.”

 “You know I don’t do this anymore,” Luhan muttered. He pushed the flyer away too. “I stopped fighting a long time ago, Hyuna. I have no intentions of returning.” He could feel the ghostly sensation creeping on his back and he shifted his shoulders to evade it.

“Oh well, thought I would give it a go. You were the only competition that was worth a watch. Ever since the police got involved, everyone’s being so careful and it’s missing that rush of fire and passion.” Stuffing the flyer into her bag as well as her rejected gift, Hyuna gave him a small smile waving her goodbyes. “Are you going to the wedding?” He shook his head again, his expression darkening. Yura’s face crossed his mind, remembering her retreating back when she left the last time. That was nearly two months ago.

Hyuna hesitated before speaking. “I think you should go. She would want you there.”

 

 

 “Meeting!”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes and pulled a face causing Jieun to giggle.

 What?

 Another meeting. It’s getting so boring, he signed. You coming?

She shook her head, hiding her face. If it was a normal briefing she would’ve gone but it was a meeting with the board and as much as Jieun wanted to attend, there was no way she would be able to grasp what was going on, especially when she had no aid. Slideshows could only show so much.

Jonghyun tipped her chin. Want me to take notes?

 You don’t have to. I’m sure one of the others will explain what is going on. Jieun chewed her lip in disappointment. Jihee will probably let me know about it all on Monday.

 I could try interpret as much for you. My signing skills are getting better. He grinned cheekily.

 And have their star employee be a distraction the entire time? I don’t think so. Besides, you need to actually focus more on the topic of discussion.

He pulled another face. Probably plans about the expansion. You’ll still be here? She nodded. I’ll drop you home, alright? Don’t you dare take the bus. He winked at her before taking his leave.

 

Jonghyun was his usual chatty and animated self on the way home. He joked about how boring and dreary the meeting was and how the CEO pulled him to the side, hinting at a possible promotion. Jieun congratulated him despite the heavy feeling that weighed her down. The good thing about being mute, silences were a blessed given.

 Do you want to join me for lunch on Monday? Jonghyun asked. His finger was tapping impatiently against the steering wheel.

 We always have lunch in the staff canteen together. Unless I’ve also been blind as well this entire time. She raised her eyebrow.

Jonghyun sighed. “No, like with me. Out of the building. Just us two.” His eyes darted around nervously. “I mean, there’s this new place I thought of checking out and I figured you–”

 Oh, right. Sure. Have a good weekend, replied Jieun quickly, shutting the door after waving him off. She wanted to be alone and get rid of this horrible mood she was in.

 

Jieun remained standing at the same spot Jonghyun left when he drove off. She didn’t want to go home yet; not with this crappy mood. She needed to let it out. But where could she go? She was halfway on her trek towards the playground when she bumped into Luhan.

 “Jieun, hey,” he greeted in surprise. Jieun forced a smile and bowed her head. They stood in silence, looking at each other. Luhan gestured behind. “You going to the playground?”

Begrudgingly, Jieun nodded.

“Isn’t it a bit late?” Luhan noticed how subdued she was. Her eyes were still on his but there was some sort of sentiment in them that he couldn’t figure out. It wasn’t like the last time when she was upset. “Are you… OK?”

Jieun didn’t reply but simply stared at him. She loathed the question. That was one question that made it onto her FAQs list. But when Luhan asked her, it felt different.

 No, she mouthed. There was no point in denying it. He already knew the purpose of going to the playground.

Luhan paused. He wasn’t expecting that answer. Most people would’ve sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter