one.

Sight & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Song Jieun, Apartment 3/E, Orchid Residences.

It was a name he hadn’t seen before, but he could guess who it was from the door number. The new tenant below his apartment. He had seen the large moving lorry stationed in front, the movers carrying cardboard boxes and the furniture into the building. In all the three years he had lived here, it had been a while since anyone new moved in. Not that he knew each and every one that lived in the building.

Luhan didn’t interact much with his neighbours. In fact he never did. There was only that one time when Mrs. Han from two doors down, stopped by with some kimchi her mother-in-law made. That was the first and last time Luhan received anything from his neighbours. It seemed like everyone around him knew he preferred to steer clear from mixing and getting to know each other. Of course, there were the awkward elevator rides he couldn’t avoid, no matter how early he’d leave home (he was usually out by 6 am, despite work starting at 8.30), there would be one or two instances weekly when he’d bump into someone.

He sighed as he rifled through the white envelopes that were deposited into his mailbox. He had to do it. He could just slip it into the right box but he noticed one of them was from a bank. Who knew, maybe it was urgent, and as much as he didn’t want to see anyone, he would have to do it today.

3/A. 3/B. Luhan’s feet were getting heavier with each step he took. 3/C. Another sigh escaped him. He was dreading this. 3/D. His steps slowed and he stopped in front of the darkly painted door. 3/E. He raised his finger to ring the bell and brought it back down before he made contact. He didn’t want to press it. He disliked the sound it made. That ring only made him think it was a nuisance instead of a welcome. So instead he curled his hand into a fist and knocked gently against the door. Two knocks and he waited. There was no response. Another two knocks, a bit more harder this time.

Luhan was starting to get fidgety on his feet. Why was this person taking so long to open the door? His eyes glanced at the white button on the side and he held a little debate in mind. After much rallying, he reluctantly pressed it. He could hear the click of the door handle and his eyes carefully trailed its way up as the door slowly revealed itself.

 “Hi.”

 

 

Jieun found herself face to face with a tall stranger. His dark auburn hair covered nearly half his face and he was dressed like the aura he was giving off. Dark and mysterious. Nonetheless, she smiled at the guest warmly.

 “Hi,” he said. His hand stuck out and she saw the bunch of white envelopes. With her eyebrow raised, Jieun gingerly took the letters from him, her eyes still fixed on his face. In particular his lips. They were moving but she couldn’t make out what he was saying.

He was mumbling.

If there was anything Jieun couldn’t stand, it was when people mumbled. It made it difficult for her to lip-read. Why was it people mumbled when they had the gift of voice?

It was possible that her face showed her confusion because the man straightened up and his lips formed words she could understand.

 “I’m from upstairs.” His index finger pointed towards the ceiling. “The mailman got your address mixed up. I figured I should hand it to you personally since it might contain something urgent.”

opened. Ah.

Jieun was about to reach into her pocket for her phone when she noticed him walking away. It was possible he had said bye but of course she wouldn’t have heard it and she couldn’t call for him. She frowned as she thought of a way to thank him.

She walked back into the living room and surveyed the mess that lay in front of her. It was hell to unpack. Two weeks and there were still boxes waiting to be opened, picture frames to be mounted, and so many other things still to be arranged and placed in its home. She sighed and quickly sent a message to Hyosung asking for help.

Her eyes returned to the stack of letters that lay on coffee table. Jieun smiled as she recalled the young man from earlier. Despite his passiveness, she couldn’t help to be taken into the weird charm he gave off; even with the mumbling he had going on at the start. She had already introduced herself to her neighbours on the same floor as her, informing them of their new resident.

Jieun didn’t like to rely on people, only when she really needed it did she ask for help. But because this was her first time living alone, to reassure her worrying parents and friends, she had to let at least one neighbour know about her condition. She was apprehensive about the reaction of the other tenants but surprisingly they were accommodating and treated her just as nice. Although there were one or two (especially the family from 3/C) who were a little uncomfortable and she had expected this reaction. She was beginning to get into the tune of her new abode.

The light flashed brightly and she hurriedly proceeded to the door.

 “Wow, you really need to get this unpacking done,” said Hyosung the moment she stepped through the door. The apartment before her was cluttered with boxes.

Jieun pursed her lips and shook her head. I didn’t realise how much stuff I brought over, she signed. I’m still living on paper cups and plates. I don’t know which box my dining ware is in.

 “Wait, slow down, I’m still rusty y’know. Was that paper?” Hyosung copied the hand gesture Jieun had done. “And dinner… plates?”

She was close enough. Jieun nodded.

 “Yes! I’ve gotten better haven’t I? I’m so proud of myself. So where do you want me to start? Kitchen? Room?”

Jieun pulled her friend’s arm and dragged her to the kitchen. She went on to take out various ingredients, setting up the oven and after much rummaging, she foun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter