three.

Sight & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s mind clouded for a moment. What were the chances that in this massive area, within the throngs of people of different shapes and sizes, would he find himself meeting her? Mathematically, probably not even half, but here she was standing right in front of him. Clearly, she too wasn’t expecting to see him either.

 “Han?”

An ache pulsed through his beating heart when she called out his name but he kept still, his eyes trained on her. She hadn’t changed much; her hair was still the soft shade of brown, long and wavy, her face very much the same except for the layers of make-up that hid her natural beauty and she had become more womanly. The delicate pastel coloured coat and the knee-high boots gave a clear description of her feminine wardrobe.

 “How are you?” greeted Yura politely. It was stiff and desperately rigid. A burst of sound came out of nowhere and Luhan cringed at the interruption. He turned back and Jieun was still looking on at the band. He tapped her shoulder and jerked a thumb at a direction and she simply nodded, understanding his message.

He found an empty spot by some trees in the back and watched as Yura tittered towards him. She cautiously set herself down, leaving enough space for a third person to sit in between them.

 “It’s a surprise to see you here. I thought this wasn’t your scene,” she said with a small smile.

 “I had something to do.” A box of cigarettes popped up in front of him and he eyed the French-manicured nails that encased it. It had been six months since he gave up smoking (well, not counting the ones occasionally stole when he worked overtime) but he reached for one anyway. “I don’t have a light.”

 “You don’t have a lighter? You used to always carry one around.” Yura raised her eyebrow disbelievingly as she took a puff and lit his cigarette. “Is this a sneaky cig you’re taking?”

He nodded, inhaling the burning nicotined tobacco stick. “I quit six months ago. Bronchitis wasn’t getting any better so I kicked this habit except for once in a while.”

 “That’s good. I always thought you weren’t the smoking type anyway.”

They exchanged no words for some time, letting the scene of loved-couples and youngsters pass by them, smoking the air away.

 “I guess congratulations are in order,” said Luhan speaking up first. If it were anybody else he wouldn’t be as forward, but this was Yura. He didn’t miss the silver band that wore itself on her left ring finger.

Yura glanced down at her wedding ring. “Thank you,” she said softly. “Listen-”

 “I did get the invitation. He sent it to me through Minseok.”

 “Oh.”

 “But you know me,” muttered Luhan. He stubbed out his cigarette and tossed it in the trash can nearby. “I’m sure you’ll look beautiful nonetheless.”

Yura snickered lightly. “Did you decide that as soon as you received it or…?”

 “I think I have work that day.”

 “On a Saturday?”

Luhan smiled bitterly to himself. Of course she’d catch on. “The company is unpredictable like that.” He looked to dark sky, the moon partially hiding behind the clouds. “You shouldn’t be here. We shouldn’t be here, Yura.”

Yura turned to him, a sad frown sketched on her face. Luhan felt her eyes boring into him from the side but he looked right ahead. He couldn’t see Jieun anywhere by the music crowd and he searched around trying to spot her.

 “He’s not in town this week.” Yura tapped her feet against the bricked pavement. Luhan understood now why she was out freely at this time of night. “I had to go and finalise some arrangements for the wedding. It’s pretty stressful stuff even though the whole event is supposed to be a blissful one.” She chuckled.

 “Yeah, I’d say so if you had to plan a wedding in six months,” said Luhan quietly. He didn’t know where these acerbic words were coming from. He was always one to watch what he said. Why, just earlier he was surprised at Jieun asking him a simple, straightforward question about a girlfriend but here he was sprouting out like there was no barrier.

 “It’s not like that. It’s,” Yura sighed and bit her bottom lip, “complicated and you wouldn’t understand.”

 “You’re right, I won’t understand.” He swallowed the bitter taste of the cigarette mixed and dissolved in his saliva. “I’m not part of your world anymore so I’ll never understand.”

Jieun was standing in the far distance and he didn’t know how long she was stood there for. When their eyes met, she blinked a few times, making no movement. Deep down, he was pleading for her to come and break this conversation. He needed to leave before it got any worse.

Before Yura would deepen the crack in the wall. Because he knew she could.

 

 

Jieun applauded excitedly when the band had finished. The signs of happiness and pride were clearly shown on the performers’ faces and she yearned to share the same feelings. The feelings they emitted when they played and the feelings they had when they saw the look of pleasure on others faces. But all she heard was silence and her imagination could only go so far.

She remembered certain sounds. She could briefly recall the sounds of birds chirping when she saw them perched on a tree branch; objects that she recognised, she could try to pair what she saw with a faint memory. Being partially deaf, she could hear extremely loud sounds like fireworks going off, although it wouldn’t be on the same noise level as normal people. It barely made it to her ears. When she was twelve, a huge truck carrying weights of steel was driving but by the time she heard it come by, it had almost knocked her over if it weren’t for her cousin who dragged her out of the way in time.

That was the first time she considered a hearing aid.

Jieun sighed to herself and rubbed her cold hands together, blowing warm air on to them. She searched around for Luhan and after ten minutes he was still nowhere to be found. She fumbled for her phone and was about to dial his number when she saw him sitting in a far corner. Though he was faced forward, there was no doubt he was talking to the person next to him. The way the lady’s body was angled towards him and his body language showed… was that resentment?

She couldn’t be a psychologist but she’d read enough books to figure out body language and losing one of her senses, her sight at reading atmospheres was a lot better than most.  

His eyes met hers and they just stared at each other. Her thumb was close to pressing ‘SEND’ when she bravely took two steps forward, their gaze nowhere near breaking. She let her feet continue at a normal speed, her eyes still with his.

“Jieun.” Luhan blinked, breaking his focus and stood up. She smiled and skipped towards him. From her periphery she could see the other woman look at her. “Are you ready?”

She nodded and turned slightly to bow and acknowledge the woman who bowed in return. She was beautiful, much more attractive than plain Jieun for sure.

Luhan, I’m really sorry but… I’m a little hungry.

It was like a 180 degree transformation. His face which was dark just seconds ago was now replaced with a light grin. It wasn’t much for Luhan, but that was a difference in Jieun’s eyes.

 “We’ll get something on our way back.”

Jieun shifted on her two feet awkwardly.

 I’m Jieun.

The woman’s eyes widened and she smiled. “Yura. Nice to meet you.” She was sizing Jieun up and she knew it. It was times like these when Jieun wished she could just speak up and deny whatever it was that went on in their minds, like right now; she wanted to tell her that she and Luhan were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter