Snowflakes (Pt. 1 of ?) - Jessica/Tiffany

Catching Snowflakes

Title: Snowflakes

Rating: G

Pairing: Jessica/Tiffany

Note: Non-AU. Also, it’s freakin’ cold. Do refer to JeTi’s Pops in Seoul | In the Booth episode for some references. Also… the beginning’s of a multi-shot… wait, what?

Summary: Beauty in the differences.

 

Jessica doesn’t really remember the last time she ever made paper snowflakes. She remembers making them back in elementary school, but that’s about it. So, when she ends up sitting on the floor cutting out random shapes in folded pieces of paper, she can’t help but feel a bit childish. Well, she only feels childish until she hears an excited squeal across from her.

 

She lifts her head and smirks when she sees Stephanie grin at the newly made snowflake. She continues cutting out random patterns in her paper, but she instantly groans when her scissors cut right across the folds. It’s too soon to cut that far. Her head drops to the table and she wonders how she manages to fail at paper snowflakes.

 

“Did you seriously just cut right through yours?”

 

A stifled giggle.

 

“Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, princess,” Jessica calls out as she tosses her mangled snowflake over to Stephanie’s side. She hears loud laughter and chooses to lift her head only to drop it back down when she sees a huge hole right in the middle of her snowflake. It looks like a wreath and it would’ve been a nice consolation if Stephanie didn’t look so amused.

 

“Seriously, Jessi, you cut through your snowflake?”

 

“Shut up, it’s not like you haven’t done it before.”

 

“Yeah, when I was ten.”

 

More laughter.

 

Jessica sighs and finally sits up. She clenches her jaw and begins folding a new sheet of paper so she can start a new snowflake without cutting out a giant hole in the middle.

 

Never again!

 

“Hey Steph, do you ever wonder how we work?”

 

The question causes Stephanie to raise an eyebrow and place the ring of cut paper onto the table. She waits for Jessica to continue, but nothing really happens. “What do you mean?” she asks.

 

The older woman folds and creases the paper a few more times and hums. She eyes the folded triangle and begins to cut.

 

“Well, you can’t help but recognize that we’re different, right? Back when we did that interview with Ida-unnie, we pointed out a lot of our differences.” Jessica starts cutting out a round edge, but stops when she feels like she might cut through the paper again. She grimaces at the weird shape, but shakes her head and continues.

 

“You’re loud, I’m quiet,” she starts. “You always knew you wanted to sing, it took me some time. You like strawberries, I like bananas. You almost always have a smile on your face, but I usually don’t. You’re vocally a mess sometimes-- please don’t hit me-- and I have a little more control. You’re sure of what you want, but I take things as they go. Doesn’t it ever make you wonder why we work?”

 

“Do you… not want us to be working?”

 

Jessica scoffs at the ridiculous question, but flinches when she hears an out of place sniffle. She looks up and frowns when she sees Stephanie about to cry. She drops everything in her hands and scrambles to the other side to straddle the other woman’s lap. Her hands are frantically wiping away the tears that fall, but it’s almost no use.

 

“I-- I-- I didn’t mean it that way,” she replies back. She holds Stephanie’s face in her hands and sincerely smiles. “I already have my answer, you crybaby.”

 

“Oh, please do tell before I start making you cry.”

 

“Most people say opposites attract and isn’t that what we are? Opposites? Potentially, we’re polar opposites, but it isn’t a bad thing. We’re alike in some ways, but we mostly complement each other. We fit like puzzle pieces.”

 

Jessica frowns when it looks like Stephanie isn’t buying anything she says. She pulls the woman’s head to rest on her chest and smiles when arms wrap around her waist. She takes this as a sign to continue.

 

“No two puzzle pieces will fit each other, it doesn’t work like that. There has to be differences-- opposites-- to make it work, but I really think we’re snowflakes.”

 

“Snowflakes?” Stephanie curiously questions.

 

“Snowflakes are never the same. Some just look completely different, but it works. When you have a giant snowfall you don’t notice how different each flake is with one another, you notice the beauty that all the snowflakes have together.” Jessica bites the inside of her cheek when Stephanie pulls away. She panics when the younger woman doesn’t say anything. “We’re beautiful together, right? Well, no, we are no matter what you say! I really like us together--”

 

“Jessi… since when have you become so poetic?”

 

The older woman shuts , rolls her eyes and shoves Stephanie onto the carpeted floor. “Way to ruin the mood.” As she stands, Stephanie’s hands grab the sides of her shirt and pulls her down. She finds herself lying on top of the younger woman and wants to question the action, but holds her tongue when arms wind tight around her shoulders.

 

“Snowflakes… I like the sound of that.”

 

Jessica presses her face against Stephanie’s chest and inwardly chuckles.

 

You and me…that sounds better.