Recovering

The Lost Prince
"are you okay, sir?" the guards asked the bruised Ryo sitting along in his tent.
 
"you fools!!!! where are the people I want arrested???!" he went into a fit of anger realising that the guards fail to bring back the 4 of them.
 
"I apologise sir. we lost them, but we'll continue to search."
 
"forget it! I have more important things to handle. get out now!" he threw the guards out of the room and sat back in his position.
 
who are those who save Umika and her friend? the 2 masked men are highly skilled... it makes no sense. I've never miscalculated something, and I did this time. perhaps it's time to take extra precaution.
 

***********

After running around looking for a safe place to lodge, Umika who is most familiar with the piece of land, finally slumped in one corner of an abandoned, small hut.  She was drenched in sweat, while the pale face of Ainosuke remained in her mind. when she wanted to relax her mind and soul, Chinen ,who walked out of the room where Ainosuke is resting, caused her an adrenaline rush. he was topless and on his hands was Ainosuke's drenched top. He too was so exhausted after carrying Ainosuke from place to place for at least an hour that he didnt notice Umika sitting in the corner.

 
"oh, you're back" Chinen was startled when he finally saw Umika silently watching him. luckily the environment was quite dark, visibility was low, and so she managed to hide her obvious blush while she observed Chinen's firm abs.
 
"a-ah, yes... do you need a hand?" she stood up and offered to dry Ainosuke's top. while doing so, they both realised it was too awkwardly silent so they both decided to speak at the same time. 
 
"er, go ahead" Chinen let her have the right of speech first, leaving her scrambling for words and ideas, while avoiding his eyes. he too avoided her eyes as he was simply too shy to.
 
"h-how's Ainosuke?"
 
"Mirai is tending to him. he's still unconscious and running a high fever. his high fever has to subside, that's most crucial. but luckily he is not having seizure anymore...."
 
"come to think of it, I think his body is already showing signs of fatigue for long. he must have already been having fever but disregarded it." Umika said
 
"yes, he has been looking so pale and was coughing and sneezing. it's my bad I didn't insist he rest."
 
"don't worry, Chinen. I could tell Mirai will be able to nurse him really well and with her tender-loving care, he'll surely recover in no time." she unconsciously pat on his bare shoulder and realised her awkward gesture.
 
"sorry" she retreated after seeing his startled face.
 
"Umika, you got the map of the territory already right?" Chinen asked, and she genuinely felt relieved that he diverted to a more serious topic.
 
"yes, I've marked out the escape route. I'll share with you.. hold on" as she was about to retrieve the map, Chinen held her by her arm. 
 
"I'm sorry, Umika."
 
"for?"
 
"for everything" Chinen said with sincerity. she felt a tinkle in her heart and felt her heart beating wildly.
 
"Chinen, does this mean, we're friends? regardless of whatever happened in the past generations and regarding your dad?" Umika wanted to ensure that she didn't misinterpret the statement. 
 
"the bad blood cannot be washed off completely...." she couldn't hide her disappointment when he said that... but it proved to last only a split second. "but if you are willing, we can put a stop to it in our generation" he suggested.
 
Umika was really stunned at his words, she was speechless, dumbfounded; she froze like a statue.
 
"erm... Umika.... so...we're friends?" he repeated.
 
"yes!!! oh my gosh! yes!" she was so excited that she threw herself over his body and enveloped him in her arms. Chinen didn't know where to place his hands, but eventually he found a spot on her back. the subtle collision of their skin gave an electrifying feeling that numbs the heart and caused heat rush to their face.
 
"Chinen, the night is turning cold... I have a blanket. we can share it... of course if you don't mind," she tried to make it sound less but it still does regardless of how hard she tries.
 
"honestly, i am feeling cold... but it should be me asking... do you mind? "
 
Umika is already over the moon when Chinen sat beside her in close proximity in the same corner, leaning on the wall with their legs stretched out comfortably,with his skin brushing against hers from time to time. the small blanket cushioned the two of them in a small space, allowing them to find warmth and comfort in each other's accompany. 
 
"Umika... the first time I met you... where I saved you from drowning... I kind of ~... (love you)"
he uttered under his breathe.
 
"huh?" Umika couldn't catch the last part but feels embarrassed anyway cause she knew he remembered their first.
 
"nothing~" he smiled. "Umika, you should catch some sleep. it has been a long day for you. I'll watch over."
 
"thanks" and she finally let herself rest. unknowingly her head fell on his bare shoulders and he allowed it. in fact, he pulled her closer. 
 
"I think I love you, Umika... I won't let anything happen to you"
 
perhaps because his heart is finally at ease, no longer at a cross road, that he also fell asleep. eventually leaning his head against hers as well. his fingers wrapped around hers and if one is unaware of their enemy-turned-friend relationship, one would think that they are a pair of adorable couple. 
 
within the room, Mirai was busy trying to bring down Ainosuke's temperature, wiping his neck and face with a cotton cloth dapped on cold water. whenever she pressed the cloth on him, he gave a cringe as if painful. his brows are knitted in a deep frown and his eyes tightly shut, hand clenched into a fist, unable to relax. 
 
Mirai ran her hand on his face, trying to untie the knot on his brows, and the other hand slip into his tightened fist. "Ainosuke~I'm here...I'll stay with you from now, okay~ I regret my actions, I regret leaving you, I regret sharing you with another, I regret not staying with you through thick and thins. I learnt my lesson, so please give me another chance." she thought he heard her cause a drop of tear rolled from the sides of his closed eyes. she wiped it away and leaned in to leave a gentle kiss on his cheeks. 
 
she never released her hands from his, and so seated by his bedside, she eventually fell asleep with her head leaned on his chest.
 
********
Ainosuke pry open his eyes the next morning, feeling more energized than before. he noticed the unfamiliar environment and that he's in a new dressing. it's Chinen's, he recalled the design. he then felt a sense of warm touch and a light pressure on his hand and chest. he looked down and saw Mirai with her head laid on his torso, and felt his heart tinkle at the sight. his free hand moved towards her hair and gently it. brushing her hair from the sides, reveal the beautiful face that he misses dearly, that he yearns so much to touch. her skin is cold and he immediately inferred that she has been tending to him and neglected her own welfare. she has definitely been against the cold wind while wrapping him tightly with the blanket. in his mind, he wondered how silly she is that he can't help but fall in love with her more. he pulled himself quietly from her and carried her onto the bed with the blanket over her. knowing how a heavy sleeper she is, she didnt wake up even after such rigorous movements.
Embedded image permalinktumblr_mr9rbrWSwD1sry5q9o1_500.jpg
he looked at his sleeping beauty and smiled briefly before stepping out of the room, only to feel surreal at the scene in from of him. 
Embedded image permalink
"Chinen, you finally listened to your heart~" he smiled at the heartening sight of Chinen and Umika leaning beside each other, cuddled under one single blanket. he genuinely felt a surge of happiness for them. he walked forward and pulled the fallen blanket over them, only to realise it was a wrong move.
 
"Ainosuke~" the 2 woke up almost at the same instance and noticed their King's kind acts. but the realisation of the skinship between them embarrass them so much so that they quickly leaped apart. "I must have fallen asleep. sorry!" Chinen tried to lighten the atmosphere, but it turned out to only made matters worst as their face continued to flush. Triggered by his inner playfulness, Ainosuke found pleasure mocking at their awkward behaviours. "I should have totally captured that satisfied look on your faces when you guys were sleeping. it's really serene. coupled with this hypocritical reaction from you guys now, the entire clip if made into a teaser would be extremely epic."
 
"Your highness~" they begged, but it made it even more entertaining, he can't hold on to his laughter which persisted a while.
 
Umika suddenly leaned forward and embraced Ainosuke, causing Chinen to feel a slight jealousy. but her abrupt affection stunned the 2 guys nonetheless.
 
"arigatou~ I was so worried that it's because of me that you fallen so ill. I was so scared that you won't make it~" Ainosuke patted her as she expressed her heartfelt gratitude.
 
"Baka~what's there to cry. I'm fine" he wiped the fallen tears off her face, and tried to lighten the mood with a joke or two. "Chinen, I task you to teach her to swim. seriously, how can a warrior not know how to swim. make sure you teach her by end this year"
 
"heh?!" the 2 were shocked by his instructions and blushed once more.
 
"anyway, how are you feeling, Ainosuke?"
 
"much better already."
 
"good to hear. you're fever yesterday was so high, it really scared us. luckily Mirai's nursing skills are superb enough to bring down your temperature within such short time...." Chinen said with a heave of relief.
 
"where's Mirai?"
 
"she's sleeping. needless to say,she spent the whole night taking care of me. I think she's really exhausted, so just let her rest first," Ainosuke's thoughtfulness is finally expressed and it made the 2 minions felt happy for them.
 
"ahh, before I forget, this is the escape route that we can undertake." Umika retrieved the map from her pocket, and it clearly demarcated in red their way out.
 
"no, why should I escape? this is my land...ever heard of owner escaping from his own properties?"
 
"but you heard his plans, your life will be in danger if he finds you here with such minimal protection." Chinen protested.
 
"precisely why I'm not gonna run away."
 
"huh?" the 2 minions became confuse as they sensed an underlying tone.
 
"I want my men to come to me, instead of me running out"
 
"pardon my stupidity... I don't follow your train of thought?" Umika tried very hard to comprehend but still failed.
 
"his ploy has worked so well because no one other than their own gang moves in and out of this place. all I need is someone to pass a message back to the palace that I'm in danger here, a fleet of royal guards will break into this piece of land and naturally his secrets about the unreported army and his alliance with Akunami would be exposed. "
 
"but Ainosuke... you also forgot that the first class general houses all has a mutual agreement not to doubt each other's loyalty and threaten another's dignity. so I'm just afraid no one will barge into Nishikido's territory." Chinen reiterated.
 
"I'll use this chance then to test the true allegiance of those who served me... one who succumbs to a mere contract of good faith among the royal guard houses and shove away the trust I bestowed on them, should be rid from my side" Ainosuke sternly put across his point. Chinen and Umika exchanged a quick glance and took a second to digest the information. finally they both arrived at a consensus.
 
"we have faith in Yabu and the rest that they will come for their King. so we'll do as you say" 
 
Ainosuke grabbed the stationaries that Umika brought back along with the groceries and quickly drafted a letter. 
 
"pass this letter to a trusted messenger and get that person to deliver as soon as possible to the palace. it spells clearly the items I need them to do"
 
"okay, I'll go, since I know this place well" Umika volunteered
 
"not you, Umika. it's not just me that Nishikido wants, it's you too. I'm not gonna take the risk. Chinen, you'll have to do it instead. anyway, my instructions is for you to get someone trustable to deliver the letter, not you personally. I still need a strong one to protect both ladies."
 
"technically I can protect myself too" Umika pouted at Ainosuke's undermining tone. The 2 men chuckled but quickly returned to a solemn note.
 
"okay, I'll come back in at most 3 hours" Chinen took the letter and dashed towards the door.
 
"Chinen, take care!" before Ainosuke could say, Umika surpassed his speed and sent her regards to her crush. he turned and gave a smile, which caused Umika to skip a beat. such romantic scene was ruined when she noticed her King sniggering at the back. 
 
then a deafening tummy growling sound was heard. Ainosuke traced the sound to Umika's stomach and realised that they haven't ate for at least 12hours.
 
"er... your highness, I can't cook..."
 
"you can't?!! what's with girls? Riko and Mirai can't as well. I thought females supposed to know all these" he felt amused and frustrated at the same time. "fine, I'll cook then"
 
"you can?!" Umika asked.
 
"yes, Umika-san. I think the fact the females can't cook, calls for a larger reaction" he mocked before stomping to the half broken-down kitchen with the groceries. he took in a deep breathe as he suppressed the frustration earlier. he thought he could sit back and relax a sumptuous meal by the females, but he never expected he would end up doing it, even as a king.
 
"Ainosuke, if I could just ask you, have you, ermmm, reconciled with Mirai?" Umika peeked in while he's busy chopping the vegetables.
 
"I don't know~ we can't go back to before, can we" he hid his expression from Umika cause he's in fact in a state of confusion that makes him especially vulnerable to love complications. Then came silence.... Umika retreated into the background as not because she knows the validity of that statement but because there was someone else more eager to enter the picture.
 
"Mirai is supposed to be dead as announced. to return to her position beside Ainosuke would be very difficult" Umika thought as she backed away from the kitchen.
 
Drowning himself in the food preparation in order to suppress the question Umika asked, he didn't hear a person approach. Slowly, a delicate pair of arms slipped by his sides and wrapped his torso from behind. Locking him within the embrace, he felt a pressure where she has leaned her head on his broad shoulders. His body stiffened as he could feel her warm breathe against his neck, and this is accompanied by drops of tears that left behind a cooling feeling. He knew she is crying, but he didn't want to break the silence. He stayed in the position,hoping that it alone can comfort her heart. His body scent and the warmth from his back were all too comforting to her senses and irresistibly tempting that she couldn't let go. When he thought she has calmed down, he turned around to see Mirai's reddened eyes and nose, and felt his heart pinched. Tears were still rolling like streams on the Amazon river.
 
"What's wrong?" simple words like this made her imagined that he cared for her, and his soothing voice called upon the crybaby in her even more. "hey~ shhh. everything is going to be fine~" he flustered when she cried harder, and he knew he hasn't yet mastered how to comfort a girl. He pulled her into his embrace, this time his turn to envelop her in his arms. His hand found his way on her hair and them lightly.
 
"I am not brave, Ainosuke... I am really not. The loneliness, the emptiness, the unfamiliar surroundings creep me out every single night, and everytime I shut my eyes, those lovely memories of everything I once had haunts me like boogeyman. My dad, my mum, my siblings, my friends in Aoihoshi...most importantly my beloved husband who I hurt most horribly... i can't take it anymore...nowadays, even the silence is unbearable. I know.. I know it's my fault...I am regretting... I know I can't turn back time... but Ainosuke, I don't have the courage to mask myself and tell myself to be positive anymore.... I can't act anymore."
 
he saw himself in her. trying so hard to appear strong in everyone's eyes, but deep down struggling, exhausted, just hoping that he can lean on someone. he becomes more aware that despite being physically apart, they have become even more connected and bonded than before.
 
"Shhh.... then don't act. just be yourself" he whispered in her ears.
 
His eyes looked as if they were fighting against a decision, she could tell one overpowered the other. Her heart fluttered as his eyes moved down to her lips and before she knew it, he had moved in for the kill. Their hesitant lips grew fonder once they realized the other wouldn't pull away. He didn’t even know what had come over himself to give in so easily, he also knew he didn't exactly regret it either. He needed her, and she needed him too. This is the kind of comfort that could fill the loneliness, and they are most confident they couldn't get it elsewhere but here in each other's heart.

His lips were warm and smooth as they brushed against hers.
Perhaps, the last time they were spending time with each other has been a little too long, maybe it needed some time for pace to build, for a little ice breaking. She found herself getting nervous. She stiffened when his hands planted themselves on her waist, but his light, heart-warming chuckle managed to loosen her up again. Moving his right hand up to the nape of her neck, he seized her lips once again with his own only. this kiss was more powerful, more passionate, sending heat to her cheeks, butterflies to her stomach and taking her breath away all at the same time. She didn't want to break contact with him and as if realizing what she wanted.  Her hands moved to ball themselves into his hair. His lips parting this time to let his tongue explore and her own tongue feeling the pure pleasure of exploring his mouth as his hand searched the small of her back and into her hair. When they finally pulled free, his eyes were wild and she knew they matched her own. A smile crept across his face sending a stupor grin across her face as well.
 
It was not just them who felt the simple happiness. Umika and Chinen who just returned from his task, stood silently behind the wall, witnessing the whole reconcilation. Whatever worries they may have about their future, it has to be shelved away temporarily for the return of the rekindled young love. Umika and Chinen exchanged a smile so satisfying that they paused at each other's gaze. Affected by the passionate moment between Ainosuke and Mirai, the other 2 also leaned towards each other. Chinen's hands found his way on her shoulder and gently pulled her closer until their skins touched. He gave a quick peck on her lips and parted quickly as if too shy to do like Ainosuke. But it didn't stop there. Awakening Umika's lust and yearn for her crush, she pushed him against the wall and did a better job that Chinen. She pressed her lips against his and skipped several steps to find herself exploring his mouth. Heat rushed to their face but they couldn't care more. It was their first, it was not just a spur of affection, it was the finding of the hearts, it was a connection.
 
A meal became an explosion of love and even the desolated house seemed bursting with the hopes and dreams of 2 young couples.  
 
tumblr_mo34moR5Eu1sry5q9o2_500.jpg