Behind closed doors

The Lost Prince

It has only been a few hours since they returned to the palace, a few hours since she was thrown mercilessly in the cold underground bunker. there was no familiar faces, every guard within the bunker were known to be different from the guards above land. this bunch is trained to be fierce to the prisoners and show no mercy or attachment to them. they have been granted the privilege to disregard all formalities towards the political prisoners, including Mirai whom is thought to be dead. they swear allegiance direct to the King, and were bounded by internal rules that they are not to discuss anything outside the boundaries of the bunker. 

 
Mirai knew this place was where Minoru tortured Ainosuke. the place was reeked with a moist, blood smell, and the silence was deadly. She was led down a corridor by guards that were far from Yabu, Yuto, or any others, and struggled not to blame Ainosuke for her plight. She past a room where there was a cross with steel chains and whips of different sized, and she couldn't help but imagine what Ainosuke went through the time he was here... there were still blood stains smudged on the wall, and she wondered if it was his. it was no time to think about him cause she was thrown into the cell 2 rooms away. the cell was particularly cold, with only a mat and a small steel-bar window. The expression-less guards spoke no words and the heavy, impenetrable door closed shut behind her. the silence was deafening, not because of the nature of silence but the clanging sound from her chains on her wrists and knees become so irritable, so cruelly reminding of the angered face from the angelic man of his dreams. she crouched into a ball, tugging her knees near her chest, and hid in one corner of the cell where she could see a small piece of the starry night sky. a drop of tear fell as she shut her eyes, still confused with many thoughts and emotions. 
 
*****
Although the Generals were all exhilarated with Chinen's return, they were soon affected by the heaviness of the mood that transpired among Yabu, Hikaru, Keito and Chinen. Daiki and Yuto felt exceptionally guilty at their inappropriate attitudes toward the King, and knew they'll be the next prime target if he flares up again. However, it wasn't the consequences that's bothering them, but rather, the knowledge that they themselves have a part to play in hurting their young King. What shock all of them is the arrest of Mirai and the whole encounter at Yu's house, including the Kawashima and Chinen feud.
 
"am I doing the wrong thing guys?" Chinen asked the clique in a remorseful face.
 
" you're not wrong Chinen. but why are you feeling bad about it?" Yuya asked the younger boy, while the rest also let out a face of curiosity.
 
"it's because of (her)" before he could carry on his statement, he saw the shadow of the girl being escorted to the King's chamber. he got so tense and he stood up, trying to make wild guesses in his mind about what could possibly happen within that closed door. Inoo was the one who beat him in voicing his thoughts.
 
"isnt that Umika Kawashima? why is she summoned to Ainosuke's chamber so late into the night, especially after a whole day of traveling?" Inoo asked.
 
"Chii~ Chii" he was so engrossed in his worries that he didnt hear the clique calling out to him.
 
"a-ah sorry."
 
"what is bothering you? you seemed so distracted..." Daiki asked as he placed his arms around him.
 
"s-she begged me to let it go... but I couldn't do it..." he finally told his comrades, and they finally understood the problem.
 
"you feel guilty because she saved your life, unconditionally, and yet you betrayed her?" Keito continued and Chinen nodded subtly.
 
"a-and... she said... she said she~ love me..." Chinen deliberated and finally decided to say, though he ended up stammering.
 
"and how do you feel about her then?" Yabu stepped in and interfered after taking a sideline from the beginning.
 
"of course not! I don't want to associate with her!" Chinen tried to convince himself what he said was what he thought.
 
"you are hating her because your family told you so? but deep down, you don't hate her, am I right? that's why you are feeling guilty now, and you're worrying that Ainosuke will punish her." Yabu clearly read all of Chinen's mind, and he instantly felt relieved that his brother understood him so well, but still he didn't want to admit the accuracy of his predictions.
 
"no, it's not true" he insisted.
 
"Remember one of those rare gatherings during Minoru's events? the time where all the first class generals gathered, and that's when the Kawashimas are still in their former positions" Yabu suddenly talked about the past, which confused all others his intention.
 
Chinen nodded, despite not understanding what Yabu is driving at.  "we're only in elementary training school then"
 
"yes, do you Remember the girl you said who you saved in the river. and how your heart fluttered like crazy when she looked at you?"
 
"what's that have to do with this, Yabu? I don't get what you're trying to say? aren't we talking about Umika?" Chinen voiced his frustrations, but only then did it all become clearer.
 
"ever since you saved me the first time we met, I couldn't forget about you. you penetrated deep into my mind..."
 
and Ainosuke's secret with Umika that seemed to concern him
"it's for you to find out, Chii. just be a little more observant. it isn't difficult to figure out"
 
his dumbfounded expression tells Yabu that he is finally aware of the girl's identity.
 
"it can't be~ that little girl, was Umika?! how, how could it be so coincidental... WHY MUST IT BE HER?!" Chinen finally lost his sanity, luckily his brothers are here.
 
"calm down, Chinen. this means that if it wasn't because of the feud then perhaps the 2 of you could have been together.. so if you're willing to let it go, then you two will get your fair share of happiness"
 
"no~noooo!" Chinen ran out of the room, while Yuto wanted to run after him but was held back by Yabu and Daiki.
 
"only he can resolve his own internal struggle. there's nothing we can do. it's a balance of family and love so he needs to make a choice. moreover, Yuto, I think we need to apologise to somebody" Daiki said, and Yuto read his mind and agreed.
 
Because of the commotions, Keito has only just recalled the other instructions he was tasked with. "Yuto, Ainosuke has tasked you to make a trip to Shiroku to seek the king's confirmation of alliance"
 
"Shiroku?" Daiki and Yuto exchanged glances and then probed further.
 
"but I'm not sure with the current circumstances regarding Mirai, I don't know if Ainosuke would have any change of plans. so since you're dropping by his chamber, you should clarify further."
 
"I will, thanks Keito. you guys should take a rest, it is definitely a tiring trip for all of you... we'll check out his condition now, and will update you guys tomorrow" Yuto concluded the short gathering and walked towards the King's chamber with Daiki. 
 
*****
Chinen has found himself standing right outside Ainosuke's chamber, though he didnt understand why he's doing this. his brows are knitted and his arms crossed as he waited impatiently for her to exit the room, or for something to happen. and when it did, his fear grew enormously. 
 
she exited with 2 escorts who has their hands enveloped around her arms.
 
"what's going on? where are they bringing you?" he stopped the guards and asked her.
 
"C-Chinen~" she was shocked to see him, and she thought she saw his concern for her which was unexpected and consoling.
 
"are you asking because you're worried for me? even the slightest of that feeling." Umika asked with anticipation, but received only disappointment. 
 
"never. so don't expect. I just want to know what's going on?" *lies* he is already in a state of confusion and its extent has been increasing after knowing she's the little girl he fell for... even looking into her eyes now is difficult. the fluttering heart long ago has turned bitter and painfully unendurable.
 
"answer me~" he turned to the guards instead.
 
"your highness has sentenced her to the underground bunker until Lord Hiro Kawashima arrives, or until after the case"
 
Chinen realised his own limbs shivering at the news. he was surprised of Ainosuke's actions, and his heartlessness of subjecting helpless girls like Mirai and Umika into such inhumane environment. he is sympathizing with her.
 
"we'll get going first, General Chinen." the guards bowed politely and he threw a last glance at the lifeless Umika. 
 
immediately he barged into Ainosuke's chamber in search for answers, completely forgetting his manners.
 
"Your highness, why? I don't understand~ why do you have to throw Umika into the bunker? the case hasn't been set, and moreover it is not verified that his brother killed my father. and even if he did, Umika is innocent isn't it?"
 
"did I call for you?!" Ainosuke turned his back against Chinen, refusing to look at his general's anxious face as if he already knew.
 
Realising he has stepped onto Ainosuke's minefield, he backed off a little, hoping he could salvage the nasty situation."I'm sorry, I was careless." he lowered his head to express remorse, but he knew Ainosuke was disinterested since he never turn to face him.
 
"and as for your question, I don't need to explain to you, do I?"
 
"your highness~" Chinen desperately wants answers but he was thrown aback once again with the tactful statements from Ainosuke.
 
"isn't this what you asked for? in your heart, the Kawashimas are already deemed guilty. so I don't see how this is upsetting you."
 
it's true~ Chinen knew he shouldn't be feeling that way. it's the kind of punishment he and his family wanted on the Kawashimas all these while, and they got it. but his heart still experience the wrenching pain, which Ainosuke completely foresee. he smirked as he managed to grasp Chinen's heart and soul within his fingertips., completely understanding his heartaches and dilemma.
 
"fret not. I'm not abusing my power to torment her. the reason I'm doing so is because this case is too sensitive, and I don't want to cause an uproar among the supporters of Kawashima or Chinen house. throwing her into the underground bunker is a wiser choice than the normal confinement cell, cause that way she'll be hidden from sight. think of it as a protection."
 
Chinen has mistaken his King's intentions and felt guilty for doubting him, though implicitly.
 
"your highness~ I'm sorry, I..."
 
"if there's nothing more, please leave." Ainosuke still did not turn to look at Chinen
 
Just when he was about to exit, his maid appeared through the door. "your highness, General Yuto and Daiki request to see you... and Queen Riko as well"
 
He could hear a loud sigh from Ainosuke, and it's almost clear that he's feeling tired.
 
"Tell Queen Riko, I'll be going to her chamber later, so ask her wait for me in her room." after the encounter with Mirai, Chinen couldn't believe that Ainosuke is able to calmly sleep with Riko. perhaps he has really moved on with Mirai? or could it be he's too hurt that he needs Riko to mend his heart?
 
"get the 2 generals in" he continued 
 
"yes your highness"
 
As Chinen exited the room, Yuto and Daiki were just outside. 
 
"Chinen~ you're here. what happened? your expression is worst than just now" Yuto asked.
 
"I'm fine... but I think I upset him again. I feel the distance between me and the king has widened so much~ but I really don't want it to happen."
 
"don't worry, Yuto and I also need to repair the gap between us and him, and if we succeed, you'll be able to. you know how much the King adores you more than any of us" Daiki gave a smile and a soft hug to the younger one.
 
"yes, don't worry Chinen. Daiki, we better go in now" Chinen watched as his brothers entered the lion's lair. 
 
******
"Your highness!" immediately Ainosuke was startled by Yuto and Daiki who kneeled in front of him like a pair of epic duo. He tried to refrain from laughing as he knew it would ruin his stern image he built earlier. he waited for what they had to say, while he brainstormed for an appropriate reply.
 
"we're sorry for being so unruly towards you. we were just too worried for Chinen. thank you for going back for Chinen, even though it clearly is not your obligation to do so, and of course also a reckless act that immensely endanger your own life. please forgive us for our childishness! punish us if it deems fit" Yuto was so emotionally agitated that he was speaking with tears and mucus running. Ainosuke was tickled by the scene, and really wondered what he should do with such adorable minions. he thought maybe if he remained silent abit more, there'll be more crazy show from these 2. 
 
"Even if you are going to think it's inappropriate for us to call you Ainosuke, I still wanna call you this way, we all do. cause we felt that we are no longer serving you, but we are fighting alongside you. that's why when we thought Chinen met a mishap, we threw our tantrums at you. because that's how friends and siblings interact with each other. screw all those principles and rules our fathers have taught us about serving our masters, cause Ainosuke, you're entirely different." Daiki said, and he too looked like he's trying to control his tears. Ainosuke didn't feel like laughing at their reactions anymore, he felt like crying with them cause ever since he left the Yamada family, he finally felt like he's back in a family, a new family he can truly count on, a family which he can fall back on. Apart from Chinen, Ainosuke always felt that he could relate to Daiki entirely and he was nearly his other confidant, while Yuto is always one who silently watch over him even when he was still Ryosuke.
 
"rise" that's all he could utter.
 
"If you don't forgive us, we won't rise." Daiki daringly rebutted.
 
"fine, I forgive. just rise!" He gave in to them and their silliness.
 
he was taken aback in the next instant when Daiki embraced him wholly as if a reunion of 2 long lost brothers.
 
"just lean on us if you ever need a breather" Daiki uttered as he gently pushed Ainosuke's head on his shoulder. it was too comforting in his arms that Ainosuke let his guard down in Daiki's embrace, losing his tense nerves and lightening his burden temporarily. tear rolled down Ainosuke's eyes and wet the cotton on Daiki's shirt. While they tightened their grip around each other, Yuto joined in the party as he embraced them with his widest-spread arms.
 
Ainosuke choked on his tears as he broke out in laughter at how silly the scene seemed. "Yuto, I'm suffocating..." and finally the three withdrew and let out laughters signifying heartwarming brotherhood. 
 
"Ainosuke, pardon us for asking then...what you going to do to Mirai?" Yuto finally gather his courage to ask, after sensing that this is a good time.
 
There was silence. There was no answer, only a request
 
"Do you trust my decision?" Ainosuke asked.
 
Without much thought, Daiki responded positively, while Yuto followed suit. Ainosuke let out a comforting smile and a smile thanks. "If you trust me, then I hope you wouldn't ask. At least for now."
 
"if that is what you wish, Ainosuke, we will follow you till the end," Daiki added.
 
"ah~ what about the Shiroku mission?" Yuto interrupted.
 
"Yes, proceed. and I need you to do something extra. Before you leave for the mission end this week, drop by my chamber. I'll hand a personal letter that you have to bring to King Takea. He will know what to do, and so Yuto, I need you to assist him in whatever he needs thereafter. and mind you, this is a top secret mission. Do not let anyone know, including Yabu and the rest. Please confine it within this room. If the letter, or any part of this mission is made known to the fourth person, I will not hesitate to take action against you"
 
"Yes" the two generals said in sync.
 
"Ainosuke, about Kawashima and Chinen~"
 
"ah, that... expect a long day tomorrow evening. Hiro Kawashima and the rest should arrive then. These case materials, read up by tomorrow. I will need all the help I can get."
 
"We are glad to be of assistance. But, Ainosuke... you do know that both Kawashima and Chinen have a relatively huge support from the different houses. This case would perhaps be a sensitive one which will draw this interest of these other houses, which may include ours as well." Daiki said
 
"Yes, I do know the severity of this. But I have it under control."
 
"Oh, and one last thing. I think not many people know this, but there is something going on between the Nishikido house and Kawashima house. the army from both sides were spotted to be moving around each other's territory, which is weird cause they haven't been the best of friends." Ainosuke is in frowns when Daiki revealed this unusual detail that has escaped even Keito or Ryutaro's detection.
 
"when did their interactions start?"
 
"if i was not wrong, it should be after the late-General Chinen died, and after General Kawashima and his wife passed away, the relationship with Nishikido got even more conspicous. and if I wasn't mistaken, it was about the same time that the relationship between the two Kawashima siblings turned sour" Daiki revealed his observations that stunned even Yuto.
 
"so you are saying Hiro and Umika isn't that close?"
 
"once, yes, but now no."
 
"I really can't understand Umika then, she seemed so protective of her brother." Ainosuke sat back down on his chair and cupped his head. Sensing their King is in distress, they decided that it was time they should let him rest.
 
"Ainosuke, let's just deal with Kawashima and Chinen's issue first. the rest we'll deal with it later. I think you should take a rest."
 
"yeah, i think i should. I am beginning to see stars already." Ainosuke responded to Daiki's concern, but halted the two before they left the room.
 
"umm, how's Riko and Daichi when I was away?"
 
"Riko was fine. but Daichi... he was throwing tantrums earlier today before you came back and he shut himself in his own chamber. I don't recall him coming out at all." Yuto answered, and Ainosuke gave a sigh.
 
"Thank you." He bidded goodnight to the 2 and as the door closed behind him, he stood frozen as if thinking what his next move is. Regardless of how mentally tired he was, he realised that he needed to see his son... He dismissed the guards and maids outside Daichi's chamber and entered silently, hoping not to wake up the boy who has dozed off on the sofa. He saw stains of cream on his little hand and knew he was munching on tasty treats instead of dinner, and chuckled at his mischievous act which resembled his young self so much. He wiped his hand with a moist tissue and brought his little fingers to his lips and left a gentle kiss. He couped him on his arms and placed him on his bed. Though he was extremely careful, Daichi was still awakened by the subtle movements of his dad.
 
"Otosan~"
 
"did I wake you up?" Ainosuke sat beside his bed and leaned forward to whisper into his ears. 
 
"no, otosan..." the boy looked at him without blinking.
 
"alright... continue your sweet dreams okay." Ainosuke kissed his forehead and motioned to leave but Daichi tugged himself on his lap like a monkey clinging onto a tree.
 
"otosan~ don't hate me please. I'll be a strong man, I'll listen to otosan..." his son teared, anf Ainosuke felt a surge of guilt running through his veins.
 
"otosan doesn't hate you. don't think too much okay?" he wiped his tears off his son's rosy cheeks.
 
"so otosan, you love me?"
 
"yes~" he smiled to his son, as bright as he could, and it worked. He felt Daichi's radiance returned.
 
"otosan, could you stay with Daichi tonight?"
 
"sorry, Daichi. I promised your mom that i'll be accompanying her today. You won't mind, would you?" the boy pouted and Ainosuke found it amusing to see the jealous side of his son.
 
"Daichi, I promise you tomorrow night I bring you somewhere special okay~"
 
"REALLY? OTOSAN, REALLY?!" the boy leaped from his father's embrace and cheered in excitement.
 
"yes, dear. I promise. After dad's work, I'll come over and pick you okay?" Ainosuke tugged him to sleep as Daichi replied with smiles on his face. As Ainosuke stepped out of the room, he knew he didn't make the wrong choice in dropping by his son's room. Perhaps, it is right, his son is becoming his source of strength and hope. He felt rejuvenated from the torturous events that occured the past few days, especially with regard to Mirai...He still dared not think about her, and attempted to flood his thoughts with every other thing to distract him from her issue.
 
*******
"Go in!" Mirai was awakened from her sleep by the husky voices of the guards, and was startled by the girl who was thrown beside her.
 
"you?" Mirai remembered her...She was right there at Yu's house.
 
"Umika Kawashima~" the lady continued Mirai's unspoken words.
 
"The King threw you in here as well?" Mirai asked, and Umika clearly avoided her question. "He has totally lost himself. he is absurb!" Mirai raised her voice and found herself unconsciously badmouthing him, after trying so hard to suppress such thoughts. She just couldn't understand why he subjects Umika to such torment...
 
"Please don't say so about the King, Mirai~ he has his reasons..." she was suprised that Umika spoke up for him.
 
"don't tell me you've fallen for him too?"
 
"no no, although he is very charming, I didn't... my heart belongs to..."
 
"Chinen?" Mirai recalled her yearning gaze at Chinen earlier, and the blush on Umika's face reconfirmed her conjecture.
 
"Although I may not have entirely understood the whole issue, but I am sure whatever case you and Chinen is embroiled in doesn't entirely involve the 2 of you. moreover, the case should be only  brought to court tomorrow... isn't it? and so, I don't see why he needs to throw you here?"
 
"Mirai~he meant well. Just like you, I am too sensitive to be thrown into the average prison. if anyone finds me here, it will lead to unrest on both sides of supporters. Chinen house and their supporters would probably wanna capture me and threaten to kill me as an offering to the late General Chinen, while the Kawashima supporters might wanna rescue me. it will add to his burden and all. I'm a hostage here remember... what better way to keep me safe than here"...
 
"and..." Mirai thought Umika was about to continue, but instead she paused awkwardly.
 
"and what?" 
 
"ah...nothing.." *lies*Umika hid her flustered heart.
 
"well, at least we have each other.... though I'm sure you will be released earlier than me. " Mirai returned to her position, leaning herself on the cold stone wall so she could catch some sleep.
 
"let's just keep each other company for now.." Umika tugged herself beside her, and in that instance, Mirai felt cozy simply by the thought that she gained a sister in times of loneliness and desperation.
 
I envy you so much, Mirai.... You really have all of him, I'm certain. If you ever know what he has done for you, you will be touched for sure.
 
The words that were shared between Ainosuke and Umika within the closed doors ran through Umika's mind the whole night...the deal he initiated and sealed was so beautiful that Mirai has become the centre of all envy. And it made her wonder if such unconditional love will develop between her and Chinen.