08

Worst Days

Nothing really works well for Soojung.

First this boy (that she likes) lied to her about something and then said boy met Jinri (who is nice and friendly but she always unconsciously steal all her boys) and now said boy’s friend, (Minky? Minsy? What was it again?) came to her ing school and the hell— this isn’t an orphanage.

She groans when she hears that girl laugh—or more like cackle—to another one of Taemin’s funny jokes. She swats her hand and slaps him in the arm, covering with the other. Soojung has been with her for ten minutes and she already wants to run away. Minzy (ah now she remembers her name) is not like her. She is loud and bright and she has a lot in common with Taemin. She is a rebel in her little ways but Minzy takes rebellious to another level. Minzy is sweet and charming and Soojung is everything but. Most of all, the Jung realizes, Minzy has known Taemin more than she has.

It’s not really a valid reason—her dislike towards Minzy. It’s really childish and immature and what is Soojung seeing now? Is that Minzy throwing her arms around Taemin’s neck and oh my god she is so dead.

“Excuse me—“ Soojung half-shrieks and half-hisses when she crosses her arms and gives him a dry look. The two friends, in return, turn their head to her. One is looking confused and the other is amused.

A cheeky grin creeps in Minzy’s lips. “You’re excused.”

What the hell? What the ing hell? Did she just do that to Soojung? Did she try to mock her with that stupid grin on her face? Who does this girl think she is and where does she think she is right now? This is Soojung’s territory damnit! No one will make fun of her here! So she plasters a (fake) smile and passes them. She turns a little and utters a small, “Thank you” before walking completely off.

 

Taemin sighs tiredly for the nth time of the day. It is 6:39PM and he has to go in an hour. He hasn’t seen Soojung since she walked out on them and Minzy is just making things rather difficult for him—she’s always running around towards the stalls, trying to sample all the food. But then again, she wouldn’t be Minzy if she’s not all hyperactive now won’t she? Speaking of which—

“Minzy, what’re you doing here?”

Minzy turns around, a takoyaki stuck on . “Imf hevaifjhg fuadfn.”

“What?”

“I said—“ She swallows the street food and grins, “I’m having fun.”

“Minzy.”

She sighs and throws her arms behind her head. Pouting dejectedly, she rolls her eyes at him. “Okay, I followed you here.”

“Well obviously. Why?” Taemin replies sourly and Minzy can’t help but wince at it.

Crossing her arms, she glares at him. “It’s just that—we never hang out anymore. You’re always going home early or making up excuses to meet up with that Soojung girl. I thought that maybe, by following you here, I would find out what’s so special about her. Plus I’m your best friend and you’re keeping secrets from me! That’s unfair you know! I tell you everything and you’re not—“

Taemin laughs aloud and startles Minzy. He pats her back. “Okay, I get it. No need to get so angry. I’m sorry Minzy. Guess you got jealous huh? Don’t worry you’re still my best friend. Promise.”

 

Minzy is wandering about, trying to find some sweets when she spots Soojung talking to some boy on the west side of the building. Soojung’s back is facing her but she can’t see the boy’s face properly. What are they doing, Minzy wonders and when she sees a glimpse of the boy’s flustered face; it takes her a minute to know what. This boy is confessing to Soojung and it seems that she is turning him down.

When Soojung turns around and a grim look on her face, she is right. Soojung sees Minzy and raises a brow at her. Have she seen or heard what happened? The boy—Niel was it?—, passes her and gives her a wry smile, “Thanks for hearing me out Soojung. I’ll go on ahead.”

The Jung only nods in acknowledgement and smiles a little.”Okay.”

As soon as Niel is out of sight, Minzy gives her a wide grin. Soojung knows there is something evil behind that. “So, you’re Ms. Popular here, huh?”

“And you’re eavesdropping.” She crosses her arms and rolls her eyes as she starts to walk away. She hears Taemin’s friend following after. Maybe if she can get rid of her… “Where’s Taemin?”

“Somewhere. Why? Miss him already?”

Soojung rolls her eyes and attempts to move pass her but Minzy blocks her. Already annoyed and irritated, Soojung crosses her arms, raises a brow at her and gives the look. When she sees that the short-haired girl is unfazed, she hisses. “What do you want?”

Narrowing her eyes, Minzy crosses her arms too. The teasing-glances and cheeky grins are gone, replaced by a serious stare, almost like she’s here for business. “I’ve known Taemin since I was 7. I hope you remember that.”

“So?”

“So don’t do anything stupid for that to shatter.” She starts to circle around the younger Jung, assessing her. “You see, I know what type of girl you belong to. Pretty, popular and cold. You think you’re the coolest person when you pretend you’re mean and indifferent. But you’re not. You don’t deserve Taemin.”

“And who says I don’t deserve Taemin? You?” Soojung scoffs and rolls her eyes. “Please, you—“ The trail of words stops and there is a new thought in her mind. She nods her head finally understanding and she gives Minzy a knowing smile. “I see. That’s how it is then.”

“What?”

Taking a step forward, Soojung’s smile grows into something wicked and plotting. She doesn’t care how Minzy will react; all she cares is to get back at her for being such a know-it-all and butting into something that isn’t her business. “You like Taemin, don’t you?”