07

Worst Days

Somehow, Taemin thinks it was not a very good idea to come. Seeing how malicious Soojung’s face is makes him think so and the fact that he did not tell her he will come. She is probably thinking of ways to cut his shins off.

“Soojung!”

“Jinri? Taemin? What are you doing here?” Soojung says and her eyes become a little bigger with rage. She crosses her arms and her head to the side, a grim on her face. This reminds him a little of his mom when he does something she doesn’t like or when she tells her she’s gain a little. “Well?”

Taemin swallows hard. Jinri furrows her brows and woah she knows that pose. Oh god, she’s mad. There’s nothing worse than a mad Soojung. She smiles brightly and latches herself on Soojung’s arm, distracting her. “Soooooooo, have you been enjoying yourself? I heard the yakisoba stand on the third floor is really good! We should eat there later~”

Thank you Lord, whispers Taemin as he watches Jinri drag Soojung up in the stairs. If Jinri wasn’t here, he is probably dead by now. Sighing, he shoves his hand down his pocket and smile. This is going to be an interesting day.

Only an hour later after Taemin arrived, and Soojung is already bored to death. The three of them, herself, Jinri and that stupid boy Taemin, have been circling the whole school ground, eating, playing weird games and more eating and nothing makes her happy. It’s probably because of that idiot who suddenly appeared inside her school without informing her. The worst part of it all, he met Jinri.

Now, don’t think wrong about Soojung, like said earlier, she’s just cautious. The last time she has introduced Jinri to a boy she knew, the boy didn’t bothered to reply to her. It isn’t Jinri’s fault but still… can’t she be careful about who to bring with friends? And she likes Taemin so really—

Okay, there, she said it. Soojung likes Taemin and he is very unique from all the guys she had met. Sure, the first time they met he only approached her because he said she was pretty (“And you’re still pretty by the way but a little scary and very intimidating.” Taemin will say to her one day and she will try to stop the smile creeping on her lips.) But he is different—he talks to her and he listens to her. She punches him hard on his arms and it doesn’t bother him. When she was with him, she laughs a lot, smiles a lot and her day isn’t as bad as it usually starts. She’s not in love with him—god, she’s only met him, but she will probably fall for him. Not today, or tomorrow but someday.

 

“Here.” Taemin pushes a vanilla ice cream in front of Soojung’s face, who is sitting on the pavement, her chin on thigh. She looks uninterested of the festivities going on before her.

The raven-haired girl raises a brow. “What is that?”

“Compensation.” Taemin says, sitting beside her. He has an ice cream on his own too. Chocolate flavor. He his and Soojung wonders if she should have switched with his instead. Looks way tastier.

“And for what?”

He looks at her for a second, cocking his head. And then he grins. “For upsetting you. I know you didn’t want to see me here, since I did turn your invitation down. I think I ruined your day. I was selfish, wasn’t I?”

Soojung doesn’t say anything for a while. She has a wandering look on her face, making her appear mature and much prettier. Sometimes, when Taemin watches her, it feels like he is seeing two kinds of Soojung. One that pretends and one that is real. Right now, he is seeing the real one.

“Yes and no. You’re a jerk. Why reject if you’re going to show up anyway? I just don’t understand it you know. You tell me one thing and you do something entirely different. Make up your mind, you know. Honestly, I don’t understand how I can tolerate your stubborn self.” She utters and stops. She doesn’t see Taemin’s knowing face.

“You and I, Soojung, we’re more alike than you know.” Taemin replies and Soojung just rolls her eyes.

“Whatever.”

They sit quietly for a while before Taemin speaks again. “Where’s Jinri?”

“She’s gone off to the student council. They have an emergency meeting or something. Why? Do you miss her already?” Soojung retorts.

“Why? Jealous?” Taemin grins.

“In your dreams.” She rolls her eyes. “Has anyone told you, you’re way too cocky for your own good? If no one has, then I’m telling you now.”

“And you’re stubborn. Very, very stubborn.”

“I am no—“

As if it's about to fall and shatter, clear, toward me

The sweet poisonous substance about to spread

My old scars that have frozen whi

 

Hearing his phone ring, Taemin grunts and smiles apologetically. He shoves his phone on his ears and answers, “Hello?”

“What’s up?—What?—The heck are you doing?—Yeah, yeah, I get it. Seriously, what the hell—All right already! Shut the heck up—See you in a minute.” Taemin has a big scowl on his face and he looks very, very irritated. What was his problem? Who had called him? Soojung raises her brow and pokes him.

He turns towards her with a sigh. “Can you go with me to the entrance?”

“Huh? What’s up? You’re going home already?”

Taemin shakes his head. “No. Not yet. Just—I’ll explain it to you when we get there. It’s a long story.” He is walking already and Soojung follows in pursuit quietly. She hears him sigh a lot and it makes her wonder what kind of strings he was pulling. When they reach the entrance, he stops in front of a girl and Soojung’s heart leaps—is she his girlfriend? Is he going to introduce her to her?

“Minzy.” His voice is hard and stern and constrained. The irritation on his face hasn’t left his face since they left their place from a while ago. What the hell are you doing here?”

“Why, Taemin-ah,” The girl—short pixie black-haired with blue highlights, brown eyes, round eyes, slender frame—turns around with a cheeky and knowing grin. “Aren’t you glad to see me?”

This day can’t just finish already.