03

Worst Days

Just like the next few days of two weeks, Soojung and Taemin meet after school. They go to the library to do home works (but ending up laughing at the students caught kissing behind several shelves, being reprimanded about the old librarian) or finding a coffee shop that sells banana milk (to Taemin’s persistence but they ended up buying four of those in the convenient store; three for him and one for Soojung) or by the arcade again (she really, really wants to get a toy on her own) or just walking here and there, wherever really.

On Wednesdays and Fridays though, Soojung has tennis practice so they end up not meeting up and just proceeds on texting or chatting online. They talk about a lot of stuff, trivial, silly and anything under the sun, really.

Soojung doesn’t know what to think and feel about Taemin yet. He is nice, cute and really easy to be with but it’s only been a short time since she has met him. She has not seen the real and serious Taemin and she assumes that all this happy-go-lucky side of him is just a façade. That he may be hiding something from her, yet, she will have to wait for him to be ready on his own accord. She can’t trust him fully (with her heart), at least not yet. Besides, she’s not hoping for something romantic with the boy. She is satisfied with the way they are now. As friends. And okay, if something is there, only time can tell.

 

In between classes, Jinri is being called in and out of the room for council meetings. She is very much used to this uncalled times but it has been too frequent even for her own liking. Apparently, a quarter of the school fund is missing, (stolen from Ji-eun’s (aka IU) bag) and the council is brainstorming on how to replace the money. Their advisor suggested they do a raffle draw but that too much of a hassle for them and that would also require money, which they don’t have. Someone, by the name of Kikwang, business manager, told them that they should just let IU pay the money herself, instead of making the whole process loner. But President Seohyun quickly dismissed the idea, saying it was the whole team’s responsibility too and must work together to bring the money back. And now, they still have no clue how to solve the problem.

Jinri exasperates a sigh as she slumps down her tray beside Soojung after another meeting. She doesn’t have the appetite to eat and pokes her meat balls instead.

Soojung raises a brow. “Are you okay?”

No, Jinri wants to tell her but she doesn’t and instead gives her a weak smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. Council meetings are just tiring ne out, I guess.”

“Oh.” Soojung says. Jinri thinks she’s fooling her and everyone with that fake smile but the raven-haired can see through everything. Yes, she is the little ice princess and having ~no~ emotions or reactions is her specialty but that doesn’t mean she’s dumb. “Then take a break or something.”

“As much as I want to, I can’t. The council is too busy and it needs hands as much as it can gather in order to function. She complains and frowns, which surprises Soojung because Choi Jinri isn’t one to frown.

“Then quit.” Soojung replies while munching on her sandwich.                                     

Like she can. It’s impossible to quit after being elected when everyone’s to afraid to take her place. Being in the council means 1) you have big responsibilities on your shoulders and 2) you’re willing to give up your social life. No one wants to be in a crappy situation like her.

“If you need so much hands then why don’t lover boy over there help up? Isn’t he someone from the council?” Soojung is pointing at Kikwang three table away from theirs, with Luna and Sohyun on his toes. The two girls are always stuck with Kikwang. The self proclaimed king and his two pitiful maidens. He used to be cool too, that Kikwang. He let popularity take over his prideful so now he was an . though, he is pretty cute.

 “Asked for a leave. Said his mom wanted him home early in order to help her out.” Jinri says and adds in with a roll of her eyes. “My .”

Soojung just chuckles and nods approvingly. She likes this side of Jinri.

 

Soojung’s Friday afternoon is spent on what the class will do for the following weeks for the school festival, which means she will be late for tennis practice. When she arrives at the court, the captain is frowning at her tardiness.

“You’re late.” Byung Hun says.

“No, duh, Mr. Obvious.” She retorts, pushing pass him and opening the case of her racket.

“Soojung, even though you’re the best here, that doesn’t exempt you from the punishment.”He mumbles, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Soojung sighs, irritated. “I know that, okay? It’s not like I’m skipping it either.” The punishment means she will be staying up after the practice to clean up the whole court, arrange the locker room and such with all the other tardy members. It’s not that hard really, but it consumes too much time when you could be at home, resting your off.

“Hey.” Sang Hyun greets, slipping next to Soojung’s side. His racket hanging by his shoulder. “Byung Hun’s pissing you again, huh? Don’t worry he’s just jealous you were offered the singles first before him.”

Soojung grunts. “Still?”

“That’s the team captain for you.” Sang Hyun messes her already tied hair (she glares at him and he just laughs) and they start their training with drills. They finish the training at six and by seven-thirty, Soojung and the other students, who were late, have finished cleaning everything. All she has to do now is go home.

 

When she arrives at home, Sooyeon is sitting at the couch, immersed with her laptop. She’s probably doing her thesis again, Soojung thinks and she sighs. Her sister never really has time for her. Though she understands, between juggling work and university and home, how can she possibly squeeze a moment for her little sister?

“Dinner is in the microwave.” The brunette says, not glancing up and continues on typing. “I won’t be home until twelve midnight tomorrow so don’t wait up.” Sooyeon has been really busy these days. It has been weeks since her break up with Donghae, she doesn’t seem like she’s slight bothered by it. If she was, she is good at hiding it.

Soojung doesn’t say anything, grabs her dinner and heads for her room. She eats and doesn’t come out for a while.

When she’s half way done into her homework, she hears a knock on her bedroom door and sees Sooyeon (bloodshot and heavy lidded eyes and a weak smile on her face), leaning in her door frame.

“Hey.”

“Sup?” Soojung replies and for a while her sister doesn’t say anything. Like she’s holding something back. A tear or what.

“Um, nothing much. I just wanted to know how you’re doing.” Sooyeon utters. 

“Just homework.” She replies, lowering the volume of her iPod down. Soojung can feel it. Something big is about to happen.

The older of the two bites her lip. “Listen, I know I’ve been MIA on you for the past few weeks. You know how busy I am these days and—“ She inhales deeply and looks at Soojung’s reaction. She’s also biting her lip. “—I’m sorry Soojung. I-I’ll make up to you as soon as hell week at Uni is over. I promise. Alright?”

“Okay. Soojung manages to say and Sooyeon disappears from her room. She sighs and swallows the lump of sympathy stuck in . She wishes that this time Sooyeon will keep her promise.