12

Worst Days

It is a mere coincidence that Taemin witnesses Soojung and her guy friend.

He is on his way to meet a friend when the rain suddenly pours in. Having forgotten lending his umbrella to Soojung, he quickly runs to seek shelter from it. Luckily, he finds a café nearby. After sending a quick message to his friend about changing the meeting place instead, Taemin sits quietly at a chair and starts looking around. There aren’t much people around. It is in this predicament, he spots Soojung.

Curiosity kicks in and Taemin transfers to another chair to get a clearer view of the two. She is wearing her school uniform and her hair is up on a bun. He realizes that this is his first time seeing her hair up. She looks fresher and younger—he decides that he likes her hair down more. He glances at the boy next to her. The first thing he notices is that the stranger is tall—maybe taller than him. His facial features are soft, kind—sort of what a guardian angel will look like—and he is handsome. A lot of girls must like him. The second thing he notices is that he is in love with Soojung. It is very subtle, nothing you could be aware of, if it weren’t for the fact that you have felt it. His eyes crinkle like half moons, his smile is just a tad wider and he looks at her as if she is the only one in the world.

Taemin sort of agrees that Soojung is one of a kind. But then, he feels something churn in his stomach, twisting and squeezing. He opts to ignore it. He lifts his arm and raps on the window.

Their reaction is slow to process so he repeats the action several times until finally the stranger looks over him, followed by Soojung.

Soojung is blushing.

Taemin dislikes it. Still, he plasters a bright smile and beckons her to come inside. She does, after speaking to the guy, with him following in tow.

The cold air of the rain gushes in as she opens the door for her and her friend. “What are you doing here?” inquires Soojung, more flushed than before. Taemin raises a brow, though quickly erases it when sees the apparent scowl on the guy. He doesn’t quite understand what was currently happening.

“Shelter from the rain,” he answers and gestures for them to seat. While Soojung sits, offhandedly, Taemin comprehends that there are only two chairs. He doesn’t quite know what to do so he merely shuts his mouth and pretend that the third party isn’t looking stupid by just standing up. Soojung doesn’t notice either.

“Actually, I’m on my way home,” she answers. Now, she realizes someone was with her. She stands up quickly. “Oh! Sang Hyun, sorry!”

“It’s fine.” Sang Hyun smiles and drags a chair towards the table. He instructs her to seat. To Taemin, he asks. “Do you mind?”

Yes, I mind. Taemin answers in his mind. He shakes his head instead. “Go ahead. I’m Lee Taemin.”

The guy nods. He doesn’t offer his hand. Not like Taemin will accept. “Sang Hyun. Nice to meet you.”

“Are you guys’ classmates?” Taemin asks, turning his attention to Soojung. Soojung does not have the chance to reply. Sang Hyun answers him.

“No. We’re teammates. Tennis.” His eyes skim to the younger boy. He seems to be assessing Taemin. He looks at him from head to toe. And then he scoffs silently. Taemin tries his hardest not to punch him.

When he asks the next question, Taemin knows. “What about you guys?”

Sang Hyun is sizing him up, trying to know if he will steal Soojung away (not that Soojung is anyone’s—she’s not) from him. It’s quite funny. Because this man is older than him and possible more charming, and yet he’s threatened by Taemin? Taemin isn’t even that good-looking, if he were to be honest.

“We’re friends,” Taemin answers, looking him straight in the eye. Sang Hyun visibly relaxes. Taemin wants to laugh at him. As if Soojung and he were friends. Though they never really discussed about their relationship, Taemin’s pretty sure it wouldn’t remain stagnant forever. At some point, they would move forward and realize that they would be better as… as something else. But not yet. It is too early to tell how things will go. Soojung hasn’t figured out everything yet.

“I see.”

And so they sit in silence. It only lasts for a few seconds but it like feels eternity for Taemin. In his Soojung, he fails to notice that the rain is stopping. His phone vibrates then, pulling him out of the stupor. Krystal points this out to him. “Taemin, yo. Your phone’s ringing.”

“Ah, sorry,” Taemin apologizes and snatches his phone from his pocket. “I’ll be right back.”

“Seems like a pretty nice guy,” Sang Hyun tells once the boy is gone. Soojung watches Taemin stand outside the store, his phone tuck neatly between his left ear and shoulder. She wonders who it was he was talking with. She wonders if it’s Minzy.

When she doesn’t answer, Sang Hyun focuses his attention to her attention instead. Taemin is laughing and smiling and shaking his head. He says something but they don’t quite understand what it is. And then he is hanging up and walking to the door again. Soojung pretends that she wasn’t just looking at him.

“Yeah, sorry but I have to go,” Taemin says once he’s inside. “My friend decided to go meet somewhere else. My friend is really bad with directions. You guys plan on staying here?”

 Sang Hyun shrugs. Soojung doesn’t respond. Taemin decides they will stay. He grabs his pack and acknowledges the two of them. To Sang Hyun, he tells it was nice meeting him. To Soojung, he places his palm on her head and gives her a noogie. “We’ll play soon, alright Soojung?” And then he’s out.

Soojung looks out until she doesn’t see Taemin’s frame anymore. The bright aura she had emitted from earlier had soon vanished along with the fellow Taemin.

And so Sang Hyun discovers.



NOTES

SUP MAH (lovely) ES

How U doing?

Anyway, I've been really busy with work. Why I decided to get a summer job is beyond me.

But the pay is nice (not really) so whatever.

ANYWAY, this chapter is pretty much just a transition for an introduction of new characters. So it's short.

ALSO HI LOVE TRIANGLE. Too common? Wat do you think about it? Do you like it? No? WELL THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM LMAO kidding (no)

Time for this lil piggy to head to bed

BAI GUISE

I LOVE U AND U AND U AND U AND U AND U AND U AND U

okay what

Don't forget to leave me a little something-something!!

.

.

.

Or you die.

 

Also thanks for subscribing and reading and commenting and mwah mwah mwah mwah mwah!