December Ninth

XOXO Advent

December 09, 2013

The clock was tutting at him. Had been for ten minutes, its pale face scowling down at him from its perch above the doorway, its long fingers twitching and flipping him off one last time before the cold bit into the batteries.

Mind roaming elsewhere, Kyungsoo stirred the spoon in the cup slowly and watched the milk swirl in the tea. He tapped the spoon against the rim and set it down on the counter before picking up the tray and setting it down on the living room table. His fingers closed around the handles, counting cup after cup, turning towards the monstrous mountains of blankets that, if anything, slumped heavily as he turned.

I told you,” he chastised, “you should have gone straight in the shower when we got back after that snowball fight. Now you're all sick.”

Sehun poked his head out of one of the mountains, clicking like an indignant meerkat. “I'm not sick.” He sniffled, pouted and wrinkled his nose but the red flush across his cheeks didn't disappear.

Kyungsoo snorted but smiled fondly, giving a disbelieving quirk of his head. Sehun sank back down into his makeshift fort until his nose was pushed up, blinking blearily. Neither of them quite believed that, but he was willing to compromise and pretend Sehun was fine – as long as he stayed put.

One of the mounds wriggled. The duvet was so heavy it was difficult to make out who was hidden beneath it. Kyungsoo heard the scrape of heels against the sofa cushion and saw it jerk a few times, as if someone else was kicking.

Then the squeaking, and whining came. It was the language of teenagers; the sort that adults deemed inarticulate, but made all the sense in the world to them. Kai and Kris were wrestling for comfort and stillness in the warmth, too uncomfortable and restless to form actual words.

The conversation went something like this:

Mmm!” Low, protesting. Stop moving.

Mmm!” Higher, louder. Stop whining.

MMM.” Kick. sake, settle down.

Kick. “Rgh.” Don't kick me, idiot!

MMM!” Swat against whatever part of the body was within reach. You started it!

Kick, kick, a swat against the ribs. Huff of annoyance – Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as the bickering continued. It was only when a third foot shot out – “MMMMMM!” Pack it in, both of you! – and drove its heel into them did they settle again. The foot went back under the covers, though it took a moment for the owner of said foot to adjust the covers.

Stop kicking each other,” Kyungsoo snapped. “If you've got that much energy you don't need me to make you tea.”

Several pairs of eyes blinked out at him as he went about spooning sugar and honey into the drinks. Kyungsoo tried to look grumpy, he really did, but all he could manage was a look of exasperation.

Really, sometimes it was like looking after a bunch of five year olds.

He supposed he couldn't complain, though.

Kyungsoo could tell from the expressions that met him, they knew he hadn't been serious about that last comment. The day Kyungsoo stopped caring for his brethren was the day EXO ceased to exist – the day the earth, his element, swallowed him whole.

He would make tea for them any day they were sick. Tea, hot chocolate, coffee – it didn't matter as long as they were warm and resting, and his wide eyes could see them.

Kyungsoo handed out the drinks and watched as, one by one, they began to drink. Kai and Kris had noses red enough to rival Rudolph. Chen sat on Lay's lap, shivering slightly with chill, beside Tao, who sat on his own, curled up in a nest big enough and warm enough for him to hibernate in.

Chanyeol emitted a squeaky sneeze and blew half his fringe up. Xiumin eyed the litter of tissues that dotted the floor with disgust. One tissue box sat on the edge of the table, half hanging off.

Kyungsoo fetched a pair of gloves and started clearing them into a bin before they could start a tissue war.

Xiumin would blow all their noses off if that happened.

Again.

Can we turn the heating up?” Luhan asked in a quiet voice.

It's already up,” Kyungsoo said, reaching over to press a hand against his forehead. “You have a fever.”

It's not hygienic for us all to be in here together,” Xiumin complained. “Stinks like sweat in here.”

You have tissues hanging out of your nose. I'm surprised you can smell anything.”

With all of you in one room, the sickness is contained,” Kyungsoo repeated for what might have been the third time. He wasn't sure, he'd been trying to keep them from hitting each other. “That means I can walk around your rooms without having to worry about catching it.”

How terribly convenient for you,” Xiumin grumbled.

You just want to look for presents,” Luhan accused.

Naturally. Just stay here, watch television and complain to each other, okay? And be careful not to spill anything.” Kyungsoo picked up the tray and left them.

They didn't last five seconds before Kyungsoo caught sight of Baekhyun's mound rising and Junmyeon creeping out.

Or attempting to.

Couch!” Kyungsoo snapped.

Junmyeon flinched. “I need the bathroom.”

Fair enough. Kyungsoo waved his hand dismissively and let him leave. He watched him walk down the hall and disappear into the bathroom. When the leader returned, Kyungsoo slipped in for a quick shower before returning to his room to wrap some presents. Hopefully Kris would enjoy the present he'd bought him. Now seemed an opportune time to get them wrapped while everyone else was settled down in front of the sofa.

He wrapped a total of ten before he stopped. A creaking in the hallway when he had pushed the last piece of tape over the wrapping paper had Kyungsoo flying towards the door.

Couch!” he snapped.

It's in the other room!” Chen squealed, throwing his hands up in surrender.

Chen was dragged back to the living room, where he immediately started snickering.

Kyungsoo was preparing his best you're sick, you shouldn't be running around, stay where the hell I put you speech when he realised that they were all hiding inside a fort. The couches had been moved so their backs faced each other, and all of the blankets were piled up on the floor. There was a mattress of duvets stretched underneath the members, and several more over their backs. There wasn't enough room for them all to fit in line – the covers didn't stretch that far – so they had doubled up, six on the bottom and five – well, four – lying on top of them with enough space for a few more. And they had arranged christmas lights from the tree to emit a soft, colourful glow in the shadow where the light couldn't reach. It was beautiful.

They were all smiling and happy, proud of their achievement. Tao hugged a panda plushy against his stomach and dozed sleepily while Xiumin and Sehun smacked each other with pillows. Hell, Kyungsoo was amused despite his reservations. It was then that Kyungsoo noticed Chen had a few heavy books in his shaking hands.

Chen sniffed sadly. “We can't get the blankets straight.”

Kyungsoo took the books from him. “Get into bed, I'll sort it.”

Definitely like looking after a group of five year olds.

But Kyungsoo wouldn't have it any other way.

Until they started ing kicking each other again.

Mmm!

Mmph.

MMM!”