December Twenty-Third

XOXO Advent

December 23, 2013

In the world, there were many people. There were men, women and other es; the young and old and anything in between; gay, straight and any variation thereof; a plethora of ethnic identities and nationalities. People with a head and a body, and some variations in limb count. People who walked the streets, just the same as everyone else, with similarities and differences.

Differences. The source of conflict seen around the world. Racism, ism, homophobia – those three and so many more.

And one in particular, less noticed, experienced by one group of people, a minority, who walked the streets just like everyone else, looked like everyone else (sometimes; there were others who didn't, but that was okay) and shared common experiences and emotions.

In a mansion in the north, the X-Men lived. They were mutants; ordinary humans with not-so-ordinary power. And with them, the O-Men – likewise, mutants with powers, who roamed in search of others like them, led by a brown-winged angel, Kris.

From X-Men there was Kai, a space-manipulator, still learning the extent of his own power. His power had only recently become unlocked, so the most he could do was teleport from place to place, across short distances, to areas he had already been before.

Chanyeol, a student who could give his teachers the my homework caught fire excuse and be honest about it … before being given a detention.

Sehun, a boy who stirred the wind as naturally as he breathed, who could spark a gale-force wind with a simple flick of his wrist.

Baekhyun had discovered his power from a fear of the dark, waking up in his room to the sound of a burglar, only to blind him with a split-second burst of power that put him on par with a lighthouse.

And Suho, the young man who had learned of his abilities on a trip to the beach when he turned a calm sea into a raging tide.

The mutants had different abilities in a common setting, and as Suho padded into the mansion, he was once again reminded of it when he saw Kris, a brown-winged angel and the leader of the O-Men, and Luhan, the resident psychic, meditating in his room. Luhan sat on his bed with Kris hovering nearby. It was completely silent. Posters of football stars adorned the walls, and there were books spread out on the floor from when his room mate had left in a rush.

Another earthquake,” Kris said quietly. “It's definitely a mutant. But Luhan doesn't think it's intentional. Probably one just discovering their own power. When Lay finishes healing Xiumin's frostbite, we'll head out and try to recruit him.”

Kyungsoo,” Luhan whispered. “His name is Kyungsoo. He's scared, he doesn't know what's happening.”

We should go now,” Suho said.

I'm picking up two more readings,” Luhan interrupted. “The first one … it keeps … I think it's changing … but it's the same person – how did he!? – he's moving so fast, it's like when I first noticed Kai, but I don't know anything about him. It's like he's blocking my telepathy. And the other, he's … his name is Chen. He just-” Luhan sputtered and laughed to himself. “He just knocked power out in a major city. Oh god, he's fast. And he's powerful. Very powerful. He'll be a handful.”

It can't wait, then, can it?” Suho turned to Kris. “If you take two people and find Kyungsoo, Xiumin can take two people and find Chen. And I'll go find this third mutant.”

I wouldn't bother,” Luhan murmured distractedly. “His movements are so erratic, he literally stays in one spot for a split second before he's half way across the map. There's no way we can catch him unless Kai can suddenly predict where he's about to go before he goes there.” Luhan frowned. “It's very hard keeping up with him. I can only tell its the same person because of his moves. He never stops, just like Chen. We'd need everybody out if you wanted to catch him.”

Alright, so we'll focus on those two. If you take the O-Men, I'll take the X-Men.”


 

Suho took his party to the location of the earthquakes – a small town in the countryside, with houses on gradients and a few shops in the center. Suho led the group of four, following Luhan's directions.

In the park,” whispered a voice in his mind. “There's a park not far from where you are. He's the boy singing on the old wooden bridge.”

Singing on the bridge. Suho walked along a path like a winding road from a birds eye view, soft gravel crunching beneath his boots. Aside from the odd cyclist, all was quiet. Gradually he became aware of a stream; the running water drawing him closer, as if it were calling to him. They could hear the quiet singing when they neared.

Stay back,” Suho whispered, waving his team away. “We don't want to frighten him.”

I'll come with you, just in case.” Sehun walked close to him. He started whistling a merry tune as they reached the base of the bridge.

Nice day for a walk, isn't it?” Suho asked softly. “Your voice is beautiful.”

Is this him?”

Yes, that's him. Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo looked over at them with wide eyes, swallowing slightly. He dipped his head. “Oh, thanks. I sing for a living. Who are you?”

Sehun smiled. “My name is Sehun, and this is Junmyeon – we call him Suho, though.”

Suho bowed slightly. “It's nice to meet you.”