Chapter Six

The Red String

I groaned, slamming my forehead onto the table. My mother sighed, taking a moment to look up from her screen to shoot me a questioning look. "Okay, that's the third time you've done that. Out with it," her stated as-a-matter-of-factly, causing me to scowl.

"Nothing, really. It's just boys are difficult," I replied.

Immediately, she slammed her laptop shut and I picked up my head only to meet with curious eyes. Great. Congrats on digging your own grave, Yujin. I mentally punched myself as a smile tugged at her lips. "My goodness gracious! I never thought I'd see the day that my little girl became interested in a boy. You know, I was starting to think you were lesbian--"

"Woah, woah," I interrupted. "There isn't anything wrong with lesbians."

"--I know, not the point. But anyways, my little girl is now a young lady! Took you long enough, geez. So what's his name? Age? School? Is he handsom--"

"Mom. Please."

"--also have you met his parents yet? Oh, how unfair! You absolutely have to bring him over for dinner okay? I know, maybe I could cook one of my infamous five course dinners..."

At that point I decided to give up and let her keep rambling. She would never stop till she was done saying it all. I laughed silently to myself as I watched her expressions change a numerous amount of times as she continued to talk to herself. To be honest, I felt bad for her having a daughter like me. I didn't live an exciting life. There weren't many things I needed to discuss with her because I was so platonic. I know she always wanted to help me out with problems regarding my love life and typical adolescent problems. One night when she was drunk, she cried to me about how her mother died and wasn't able to be there for her during her teenage years, so she was glad to have a daughter to give her guidance to instead.

It because the one problem that I actually have is something I can't tell her about.

"Yujin, are you even listening to me?" my mother deflated, resting her chin in the palm of her hand. I nodded, even though every word that had just came out of went through one ear and out the other. "Hey, Mom? Did you ever meet a boy that you really wanted to be friends with but he made it difficult for you?" I asked, seeing that a vague question as this was safe to ask. 

"...Yes. I mean, not exactly, but I get what you're trying to say." she replied after giving it some thought. "I'm no love whisperer, but I think I know a method thats almost fullproof." Mom flashed me a wink before reaching for one of her cookbooks. "And that is?" I questioned once more.

"'The best way to get to a man's heart, is through his stomach,'" she quoted, pushing forward her cookbook.


The following day, I packed lunch for the boys again. My mother had taught me how to make western style chicken noodle soup. As soon as I walked into the warehouse, the aroma of the meal drifted all throughout the area, luring the boys out from their resting places. "Something smells bomb!" Chen shouted excitedly. Kris ran out of his office, suddenly alarmed. "There's a bomb?!" he exclaimed.

Lay snorted. "Dude chill. It's just Yujin with our lunch," the male explained, laughing at Kris who now was deflated. Kris shook his head and took a seat beside everyone else. He smiled at me before asking, "So what's on the menu today, Yujin?"

I grinned. "Well, since it's getting colder, I figured that you guys might appreciate some soup," I stated, reaching into the bag to pull out the food along with plastic bowls and spoons. "Knock yourselves out."

Xiumin patted the vacant spot next to him. "Well if we're going to eat together, then the chef has to join us too," he said with a grin. I giggled at his generosity but proceeded to sitting down and serving myself. Although it was quiet, the room had a lively aura to it now. Something about the gang eating altogether created a sense of home and family.

Luhan nodded his head. "Oh . This is great," he said, slobbering his soup like a dog. I laughed while placing a hand on his shoulder. "Slow down there, you might choke!" I warned. He just shook his head while smiling. "No I'm serious. You cook?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "My mom is a chef. I just asked her to help me out."

Chen whistled. "You cook, you clean, you're smart and beautiful? I think I wanna marry you," he winked. Luhan pointed an accusing finger at him. "Oh, don't you dare," he stated in his most brotherly tone.

"Yo Tao, get out here! We're eating your favorite!" Kris called. Suddenly I felt my blood run cold. His favorite dish? Was he going to think that it was intentional?

Tao stepped out from the mystery room. "My favorite?" he asked, slightly confused. When he saw the soup I could've sworn that a smile swept his lips for a split second. He walked closer to us, inhaling the savory aroma. "Sweet. Who made it?" He sat down next to Luhan, reaching for a bowl and spoon. Everyone turned to look in my direction, except for the oblivious Tao who began eating up the soup.

"I did," I said after clearing my throat.

He paused. His eyes became lost in the bowl. Another person looking at his face could easily tell he was getting nostalgic. I began to feel bad for him at that moment. Maybe I shouldn't be getting so angry with him just because he's grumpy. There's probably a good reason for it, and with all the gang activity, he's probably been through a lot. "Is the soup okay?" I asked, suddenly quite nervous for his comments. But Tao just nodded. "Yeah, its good," he said quickly, standing up from his spot and retreating back into his room with his bowl.

Everyone resumed their prior conversations while eating. The tense atmosphere was suddenly lifted. I glanced over at Lay who gave me a wink and said, "See? I told you he would open up."


After eating, we all decided to watch another movie. Yet our full bellies and the warm, cozy atmosphere caused everyone to fall asleep. I was the first one to wake up-- at least I thought I was.

Kris and Tao were the only two people absent from the nest. I sat up from against Luhan's shoulder and craned my neck in an attempt to search for their figures. Just when I was about to get up, I heard footsteps enter through the back door. As if on instinct,my eye flew shut and I pretended I was asleep again.

"...you're really that bothered by Yujin here, then just tell her to leave. Honestly speaking, its nice to have someone to help us out at the base. We haven't had company since--"

"Don't say her name," Tao snapped, cutting Kris off in mid-sentence. "Don't. I'm not bothered by Yujin simply being here, its just that she looks and talks just like her." I heard a sigh. I assumed it was Tao. "She brings us food. She cleans. She even made the ing soup. The same ing soup Kris!" As someone moved, I heard the crinkle of a can. They were probably drinking beer. It became quiet for a moment, yet the silence was unsettling. I was half scared they were going to realize that I was awake.

Kris cleared his throat. "Dude. We were all shaken up by it too. But even you have to admit that Yujin is different from her. Yujin's got more independence to her. And the reason why you're so hung up over Ma-"

"Don't say her name."

"...the reason why you're so hung up over her is because you were the one who let her get so attached to you. Eveything that's good has to come with a risk, or else its too good to be true," Kris finished, tossing a presumably empty beer can into the trash. My breathing hitched as I hear them walk over to where myself and the others were laying.

Tao clicked his tongue. "If they find out about her, you know what they'll do. We can't ever let her out of our sight now."

"Well, who's fault is that?" Kris snorted. He began to walk back into the kitchen while Tao stayed. I could hear him crouch down in front of me.

"Who knows? You might just end up dead like her," Tao sighed, as he stood up and walked away.