Chapter Five

The Red String

It had been over a week since the coffee incident with EXO. Most of them opened up to me, and they turned out not as bad as I thought they were. Xiumin and Lay expecially were sweethearts. Chen was more of a goof, he liked to joke around a lot. Luhan was like the older brother I never had. Kris didn't talk much, but only because he was busy dealing with all of the crime that had been going on in the city. He also communicated a lot with Suho, who was the leader of EXO-K.

I found out that Kris was a very quiet person, but there's a bigger story to him. One time I asked him why EXO was even formed in the first place. He wasn't so sure about telling me why, but eventually he let me in on it.

"We didn't really think the police were handling things right," Kris explained slowly.

"What do you mean? They are the police," I replied, still not understanding the situation.

He sighed, taking the time to find his words. "No. I mean, the way they were taking care of all the crime wasn't right. They were too laid back. They let their culprits escape-- they were just plain lazy. We got sick and tired of all the crime and such."

"So you guys decided to take care of it yourselves."

"Exactly." Kris began to type away at the montior that was in front of him. "All of this was voluntary."

I paused for a moment before smiling. "That's actually really cool. You guys are like superheros." 

He grinned for a brief second. "Yeah."

Lastly Tao. He didn't seem to open up to me at all. Every time I walked into the room, he would get up and escape to the mystery door I never dared to venture into. He made it obvious that he didn't want me around. Even after all of the other members had gotten used to my presence, Tao still refused to talk to me. I didn't understand-- wasn't he the one that asked me who I was in the first place? Wasn't he the one that called out to me on the train?

Lay patted my head before leaning back into the couch. We were all watching an action movie. "Don't worry," he reassured me once more, his voice nearly being drowned out by the screeching sounds of tires against a pavement coming from the television. "I told you. He'll open up to you eventually." Gunshots filled in the silence between us while the other guys watching hollered and cheered at the big explosion scene. I sighed deeply before turning my head to glance at him. "You said that a week ago, Lay. How long is 'eventually' going to take?"

"Shh, shh! This is the best part, oh man," he muttered, leaning forward into his seat with anticipation. I rolled my eyes before slouching back into the soft leather.


I finished double lacing my sneakers before standing up and gathering my belongings. Jacket, check. Bookbag filled with my textbook and notepad, check. "I almost forgot the food," I reminded myself, leaving my room and hopping down the steps and into the kitchen.

I passed my mom without saying anything thinking she was still absorbed into her work. I reached into the fridge to pull out a brown paper bag filled with fruits, sandwhiches, and water bottles. Hopefully they'll thank me for this. I was about to turn around and walk out peacefully, but I didn't even manage to walk out of the kitchen before my mother stopped me.

"Hold on there young lady," she said, not looking up from her screen.

I held my breath, turning back to her. "Yes mom?"

After a moment of silence, she cracked out into a smile. "Where do you think you're going, huh? It's so rare to see you voluntarily step outside!"

Oh no. Now I had to tell her where I was going? "I'm just... passing by a friend's house." Oh god that's so lame she's gonna ask me who i--

"Friend? Who is it?" Aaaand there it was.

I sighed once more. "This girl named Heehyeon. Look mom I have to go, I'm already late..." I stuttered, my grip on the bag only becoming tighter. 

She finally laughed before closing her laptop and making her way up the stairs. "Oh, alright! I don't want to keep you from your friend."

I bolted out of the house before I spilled the truth. It was the first time, ever, that I lied to my mother. It didn't feel right, but for the sake of keeping EXO's secret it wasn't too bad. After all, I wasn't just protecting EXO from my mom, I was protecting my mom from EXO. I didn't want her to get involved with any gang related shennanigans.

Wow that was really dumb to think that. I was going over to a secret hideout in the south part of the city to deliver food to a bunch of gang members. Wasn't I already involved in dangerous shennanigans?

"Maybe I'm growing stupider by the minute," I grumbled.


One by one, each and every item that was in the brown paper bag was fitted neatly into the refridgerator. I made sure not to throw anything away, unless it was rotten or mostly empty. The guys sure liked to eat a lot of junk, and leave a trail of it everywhere. Tying my hair up into a ponytail, I pulled on some rubber gloves. After studying the room for a moment, I began to shove empty red SOLO cups into a large garbage bag that I held in my left hand. Paper plates, plastic forks and spoons, tissues, and several stale pizza crusts also flew into the bag. I groaned in disgust as I pick up a pair of boxers that was stuffed between the couch cushions. 

Boys were such slobs, weren't they? At first I was skeptical about that sterotype, but after seeing it for myself, I found myself believing it. After about an hour, I cleaned up all of the mess and piled all of the pizza boxes neatly next to the bags of garbage. Everything was as clean as it could get, and I felt quite satisfied with the work I accomplished.

I turned around, startled by the rattling of the warehouse door opening. Tao walked into the hideout, surprised to see everything clean. "I didn't realize you became the maid," he smugly remarked, walking past me and into the kitchen where he pulled out one of my water bottles from the fridge. I frowned, feeling my blood boil. No one in my life ever made me feel so angry like he did. I never wanted to slap someone across the face so badly before.

"I'm not the maid," I said, defending myself. "I thought you guys would appreciate it if I just shaped things up here a little bit." I stomped towards him, crossing my arms sternly before staring him down. Was I even intimidating? Was I even doing this, 'don't-mess-with-me' attitude right? I was probably making a fool out of myself but gosh-- he just made me so angry with his attitude.

Tao shrugged his shoulders. "It's not like we asked for your help though," he nonchalantly mentioned, tossing the bottle back and forth between his hands, waiting for my reaction. I slammed my hand onto the table that seperated us, resisting the urge to kick him in the balls. "Okay, but I'm just a considerate person and I wanted to do something nice for everyone here. Is that wrong? Is that a crime? Are you gonna kick my for this instead of having the police deal with it? What do you want from me Tao, all I ever did was try to be nice to you and even after everyone accepted me you continued to push me away. Weren't you the one who asked me who my name was in the first place?" 

Everything came pouring out of me like a river. Speechless, he set down the water bottle on the table before walking towards the mystery door once more.

"You know, you're only going to regret ever setting foot in this place," he warned, slamming the door shut so violently that the 'WARNING' sign fell right off.